Author Topic: Mike Portnoy  (Read 193205 times)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: Mike Portnoy
« Reply #1505 on: November 12, 2015, 07:50:47 PM »
I don't see it as a stretch.  My best musician experiences usually involve playing with new people.  Every new interactions adds to your musical character.

Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

I don't really care for any of MP's recent musical endeavors, but there's no doubt that he's having a good time with it.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1506 on: November 12, 2015, 09:29:52 PM »
I am always amazed at the excitement, and the conclusions, people draw from track listings.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline r0cken

« Reply #1507 on: November 12, 2015, 10:58:29 PM »
That.

Mike's projects only get attention because he was in DT? Maybe, but he founded DT, he was part of making DT what it is. It's not like DT did him a favour out of the goodness of its heart, and made him famous. He worked for it, he made himself famous, cause he's a monster musician and a huge personality.
So he totally deserves to use that fame now for whatever he pleases. He earned it.

Oh and absolutely love most of his current projects. So I see it as a blessing, him leaving DT.

Offline Nothingface

« Reply #1508 on: November 12, 2015, 11:23:26 PM »
Social Media's Greatest Drummer
Condoms? Um, are they like a dream theater souvenir?  Where can I find those condoms? That'd be really nice to havr.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1509 on: November 13, 2015, 02:44:23 AM »
When MP is involved I can be almost certain it is quality. The man is featured on many albums I love since he left DT and I'm sure he enjoys it. It doesn't sound to me he is making music just for the money on basis of his DT-fame. He went in different directions than DT musically and for me it paid off. And recent live albums from the bands he has been in are kick ass too. Winery Dogs especially.

Even Amob has some quality to it imo, it was just dissapointing considering Portnoy and Allen. And since then he was involved in much more interesting projects, so it is not like Amob is a significant part of his post-DT career.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1510 on: November 13, 2015, 07:15:41 AM »
I am always amazed at the excitement, and the conclusions, people draw from track listings.

WORD.  I remember when the track list for the first Flying Colors album came out, and BOOM it wasn't eight minutes before most people had "Infinite Fire" as AWESOME, "Blue Ocean" as excellent, and everything else - especially the song with <GASP!> "Love" in the title - as crap, without even hearing a note.   Considering that - for me, anyway - "Kayla" (one of the most beautiful songs ever, IMO) and "The Storm" blow both of them away (well, figuratively; I love that entire album and the only song I don't care for is "Shoulda Coulda Woulda") that theory is moot.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1511 on: November 13, 2015, 07:22:20 AM »
I don't get how you can separate the "DT" from the man.   Is Dio void because someone might listen to him because they first heard him in Sabbath - which, coincidentally, he went back to at least twice?

As for not having a "main band" per se, Cozy Powell made a career - and a damn good one - moving from project to project.  With touring in the 70's and 80's being different - the age of the 18-month tour is pretty much over now - it wasn't really possible to have them all going at once, but there were at least two times in his career he had to beg off of things because of other projects cropping up (MSG was one of them).  There are others, too.  Brian Robertson.  Phil Collins (and he DID do several of them contemporaneously). 

I think a lot of this thread is picking nits and finding fault because we think there SHOULD be fault, not because there actually IS fault.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1512 on: November 13, 2015, 02:23:54 PM »
I don't care about any of this crap.

I have always liked the vast majority of the music produced with Mike, and that still holds true.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1513 on: November 13, 2015, 02:38:00 PM »

As for not having a "main band" per se, Cozy Powell made a career -   (MSG was one of them). 

Just piping in to say that Schenker's 2nd album MSG with Cozy Powell is a TAC Top 10! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1514 on: November 13, 2015, 05:47:02 PM »

I have always liked the vast majority of the music produced with Mike, and that still holds true.

Same here.

I think the issue some probably have here is that, most know that he is a hard worker (regardless of the actual quality of each project), but his need to always remind us of his resume is a bit oft-putting.  It reminds me of Demi Moore and Tom Cruise in A Few Good Men when Cruise's character asks her's, "Why are you giving me your resume?"  Modesty and humility is a wonderful thing, and Portnoy's resume speaks for itself, without him often needing to remind us what it is.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1515 on: November 13, 2015, 06:25:24 PM »
Metal Sludge message board posted these box office numbers for various bands.  I've included what they had of the Winery Dogs.  I forget where the poster got them from but in the past I checked and it is a legit source.  I posted the controversial low DT numbers from a few summers ago, also. 

The Winery Dogs

Concert Hall
Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.
Oct. 14, 2015
$5,933
248 /
1 / 0
$30, $27
AEG Live

The Winery Dogs

State Theatre
St. Petersburg, Fla.
Oct. 15, 2015
$12,507
516 /
1 / 0
$30, $26.50
AEG Live

The Winery Dogs

Plaza Live
Orlando, Fla.
Oct. 17, 2015
$14,039
632 /
1 / 0
$35, $22
AEG Live

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1516 on: November 14, 2015, 08:53:15 AM »
I live two blocks from State Theatre, I didn't know you could cram 705 and people in there.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1517 on: October 04, 2016, 12:27:14 PM »
MP Finally gets his Pokémon drumkit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbfHs4tph9k

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1518 on: October 04, 2016, 08:14:04 PM »
 :lol   The Pokemonster

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1519 on: October 05, 2016, 04:54:39 AM »
mike is a great drummer but he's never been a comedian..   :P :P

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1520 on: October 05, 2016, 07:19:22 AM »

As for not having a "main band" per se, Cozy Powell made a career -   (MSG was one of them). 

Just piping in to say that Schenker's 2nd album MSG with Cozy Powell is a TAC Top 10! :metal

Mine too.   "But I Want More" slays me to this day, and that whole second album side is one of the best of that period of early '80's metal. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1521 on: October 05, 2016, 07:22:34 AM »
I cannot explain how much of an impact that album made on me. I discovered UFO because of that, and that opened up a HUGE can of worms.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1522 on: October 05, 2016, 09:38:14 AM »

My thoughts exactly.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1523 on: October 08, 2016, 08:04:53 AM »

My thoughts exactly.

Yep.  For all of his talents, being funny is not one of them, and few things are as painful to watch as someone who thinks he is funny, but isn't, trying to be funny.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1524 on: October 08, 2016, 12:53:30 PM »
I find myself missing Portnoy in todays DT.  Fully acknowledge that MM is a great drummer, there is just an intangible that Portnoy brought that I find missing.  I am sure that is partly due to when I discovered DT and were heavily into them.  Part drum style and sound, part his heavy promotion and voice, part his..for better or worse...over the top personality.  Regardless, I still feel it.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1525 on: October 08, 2016, 02:08:17 PM »
Portnoy was my favourite member in DT until he quit and turned into an arrogant cry baby.

I loved his drum sound and playing. Not so much his in-studio persona - mugging into the camera constantly...

But I accepted it .

It took them 3 goes to get a really good album production after he left and I wish mangini wasn't quite so robotic and played more for the song and not how many subdivisions he could do

between each limb.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1526 on: October 09, 2016, 07:20:10 AM »
I'm not super nostalgic about MP. IMHO, DT had seen some rather sketchy albums before his departure. So, yes, I think we all agree that "10+ years back MP" was super awesome. But I don't think his continued presence in DT would have made things all that much better.Remember, his drumming had become very predictable, where people felt he was just doing one-takers, reeling off his standard rhythms and fill.
I think all parts of DT were/are struggling with artistic fatigue. I think MP's call for a hiatus was because he saw that.

Regarding MM, yeah. The other day he posted on FB that he was analyzing the timings and intensity of his hits in Pro Tools, making sure that he's perfectly consistent and exactly on time. Impressive, I guess.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 07:34:07 AM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1527 on: October 09, 2016, 07:24:37 AM »
I find myself missing Portnoy in todays DT.  Fully acknowledge that MM is a great drummer, there is just an intangible that Portnoy brought that I find missing.  I am sure that is partly due to when I discovered DT and were heavily into them.  Part drum style and sound, part his heavy promotion and voice, part his..for better or worse...over the top personality.  Regardless, I still feel it.

I started to really miss MP DT when I first heard MM playing with DT. MP brought a lot of style and life to DT and it just became more apparent when he left the band.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1528 on: October 09, 2016, 07:36:59 AM »
Regarding MM, yeah. The other day he posted on FB that he was analyzing the timings and intensity of his hits in Pro Tools, making sure that he's perfectly consistent and exactly on time. Impressive, I guess.

And yet some people still can't grasp the drum machine criticism. Like, this is literally aiming to be a drum machine. :lol
I'm not nostalgic about MP either, but his more spontaneous drum style was the balance DT needed to counteract the sterile prog side imo, and helped differentiate their music from the pack.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1529 on: October 09, 2016, 07:37:51 AM »
I completely agree with you Blob

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1530 on: October 09, 2016, 09:00:03 AM »

My thoughts exactly.

Yep.  For all of his talents, being funny is not one of them, and few things are as painful to watch as someone who thinks he is funny, but isn't, trying to be funny.

He used to be funny back in the day but he seems to just try too hard anymore.

The funniest member will always be James.  Of course, being a Canadian he has an unfair advantage in the humor department. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1531 on: October 09, 2016, 10:48:10 AM »
James then Petrucci. Then Mangini then Rudess...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1532 on: October 09, 2016, 04:14:27 PM »

The funniest member will always be James.  Of course, being a Canadian he has an unfair advantage in the humor department.

This is, well, funny.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #1533 on: October 21, 2016, 12:24:22 PM »
I miss Portnoy, he had a unique and spectacular style. And to be honest, I'm sure they would have done better music if he hasn't left.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1534 on: October 21, 2016, 12:33:37 PM »
Disagree.

His last two albums with the band were not their best. I think he felt some weariness and wanted to do something fresh. Hence him deciding to take a break and quitting the band.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1535 on: October 21, 2016, 12:36:02 PM »
I miss Portnoy, he had a unique and spectacular style. And to be honest, I'm sure they would have done better music if he hasn't left.

I'll take cheesy over the top James Nafaryus over tough guy Mike Narfaryus anyday, and you know he'd have fought to sing that role.

The natural progression from SC to BCSL to the next album with Portnoy still in the band would have been something cringeworthy to me. Not saying those albums are all bad, but there's plenty I don't like about them, and it's because of Portnoy and his Inspiration Corner bullshit.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1536 on: October 21, 2016, 12:39:49 PM »
It was certainly a crippling blow to DT, but after seeing WD on the Hot Streak tour I'm pretty happy with that half of it. My prediction was that the split would lead to better music from both camps. I was half right. All we need now is for JP to come around and sign on for an LTE project. That would pretty much cover all the bases for me.

Disagree.

His last two albums with the band were not their best. I think he felt some weariness and wanted to do something fresh. Hence him deciding to take a break and quitting the band.
I agree that he probably wouldn't have helped DT record better albums. His absence is more felt live.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1537 on: October 21, 2016, 12:49:07 PM »
Disagree.

I agree that he probably wouldn't have helped DT record better albums. His absence is more felt live.

The first time I watched the PSMS Blu-ray and they opened with A Change of Seasons, the first thing I said out loud was, "This is why I miss Mike." You notice his presence and even though he's behind the kit, his presence looms larger than James' ever did. That could be Mike's extroverted nature or James' lack of frontman ingenuity or a combination of both.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1538 on: October 21, 2016, 12:59:51 PM »

I'll take cheesy over the top James Nafaryus over tough guy Mike Narfaryus anyday, and you know he'd have fought to sing that role.

The natural progression from SC to BCSL to the next album with Portnoy still in the band would have been something cringeworthy to me. Not saying those albums are all bad, but there's plenty I don't like about them, and it's because of Portnoy and his Inspiration Corner bullshit.
You're probably correct. But while the post-MP stuff is fresher, it's also lifeless to me. Portnoy's presence wouldn't have made for better music, but his absence didn't, either.

And I'm not sure the "inspiration corner" part is fair. The best song on DT was a fucking Rush song.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1539 on: October 21, 2016, 01:24:49 PM »
I've seen them live with MP and post MP.

With Portnoy on the BC&SL tour, the only person that looked like they were having a good time was Portnoy. Seeing them on the Dramatic tour was night and day. They looked united as a band, and I enjoyed the concert significantly more.