Author Topic: The Survivor Thread  (Read 189454 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: The Survivor Thread
« Reply #700 on: May 13, 2013, 09:45:38 AM »
Glad to see Cochran win. Although, I had Eddie in a random draw office pool and could have won $220 if he won. I think he could have had a shot had he been final three, but I don't think he could have articulated a good case for himself. Cochran on the other hand gave probably the best answers to jury questions I've ever heard. Sherry was an idiot talking and Dawn knew she wasn't going to win.
  How long between the island and live show? Because Brenda was VERY pregnant! At least 6 months. I'm curious as to if she was knocked up during the show or not. If not, it had to be immediately after....like the 'welcome back' from Survivor sex with her BF. Anyway...curious to see who's in he whole blood vs water deal. See if its interesting or not. I'll go insane if a Hantz is involved. Oh, and every so often they just need to cut to a clip of Rudy saying 'queer'.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #701 on: May 13, 2013, 09:49:14 AM »
Wiki says it was filmed May to June of 2012.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #702 on: May 13, 2013, 09:52:36 AM »
Glad to see Cochran win. Although, I had Eddie in a random draw office pool and could have won $220 if he won. I think he could have had a shot had he been final three, but I don't think he could have articulated a good case for himself. Cochran on the other hand gave probably the best answers to jury questions I've ever heard. Sherry was an idiot talking and Dawn knew she wasn't going to win.
  How long between the island and live show? Because Brenda was VERY pregnant! At least 6 months. I'm curious as to if she was knocked up during the show or not. If not, it had to be immediately after....like the 'welcome back' from Survivor sex with her BF. Anyway...curious to see who's in he whole blood vs water deal. See if its interesting or not. I'll go insane if a Hantz is involved. Oh, and every so often they just need to cut to a clip of Rudy saying 'queer'.

They said she was due literally any day, which is why she wasn't in the studio.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #703 on: May 13, 2013, 10:11:03 AM »
Wiki says it was filmed May to June of 2012.
Plenty of time to get inseminated then. And dang.... That's a fairly long break to wait to see if you've won a million bucks!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #704 on: May 13, 2013, 10:25:42 AM »
Eddie could have won had he gotten to the end, but he was the least deserving of the three amigos, which is why the the other two were taken out first.  Really, he did about as little as Sherri did. 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #705 on: May 13, 2013, 10:28:15 AM »
And, surprisingly, even said so to the jury.

I've been watching the "x person arrives at Ponderosa" videos.  Very cool.  In a couple of them, I heard it said that Phillip was very tolerable and not at all the PITA he was at camp.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #706 on: May 13, 2013, 10:32:27 AM »
Eddie could have won had he gotten to the end, but he was the least deserving of the three amigos, which is why the the other two were taken out first.  Really, he did about as little as Sherri did. 

He plead a pretty good case to Cochran to take him to the final 3 too (which was quite true), but Cochran was smart enough to realize he was the only real competition he had for winning. I don't think Eddie would have beaten Cochran, but he had a much better chance than the other two.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #707 on: May 13, 2013, 10:39:15 AM »
Eddie could have gotten votes from Michael, Malcolm, Reynold and Andrea, although I think Andrea, despite her crush, would have still voted for Cochran, so Cochran likely still wins, but it just might not have been a sweep.

How did Brenda get 35% of the fan vote for Player of the Year?  By people feeling sorry for her for the blindside and then voting starting the same day, that's how.  Because no way in hell was she one of the two or three best players this season.

And how unconvincing was Dawn's apology to Brenda at the reunion?  It was so bad that Probst had to say to her, "Brenda's right here; you can say it to her," as Dawn was trying to talk her way out of it again.  Brenda accepted the apology, but I don't see those two being pals any time soon.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #708 on: May 13, 2013, 10:40:33 AM »
Probst had to keep cutting in, because she'd have blathered on all night.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #709 on: May 13, 2013, 10:41:53 AM »
Or blubbered (cried) all night.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #710 on: May 13, 2013, 10:49:24 AM »
How did Brenda get 35% of the fan vote for Player of the Year?  By people feeling sorry for her for the blindside and then voting starting the same day, that's how.  Because no way in hell was she one of the two or three best players this season.

Yep. I'll put that down as yet another reason to hate the family reunion episode. I expected Malcolm to win it again, but I wouldn't have expected her of all people to be that close in the voting.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #711 on: May 13, 2013, 11:17:41 AM »
Two more interesting things I noticed during the reunion show, both involving Cochran:

1) When he went out and hugged his family, the 4th person he hugged was a tall, younger guy, and the hug seemed awkward.  It was almost like they hesitated for a second, hugged uncomfortably and then when he went back to (what looked like) his parents, he gave this, "Well, that was weird," look for a split second.

2) When Dawn was talking about shutting down her twitter account cause of all the negative feedback this past week, after saying it once, she said, "MY twitter," as she looked at Cochran, like she was saying, "It was my account to do with what I please."  Odd.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #712 on: May 13, 2013, 11:28:17 AM »
I figured that last guy he hugged was his brother maybe? He stood out to me because he was the only one of Cochran's group that wasn't wearing glasses.

I also noticed that the regular double episode ran longer/later, and the reunion show was about 10 minutes shorter, probably because they cut out half of the players.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #713 on: May 13, 2013, 11:49:27 AM »
Yeah that hug wih Cochran and that dude was off...I noticed that.

I think Eddie could have made the argument of I've been targeted since day two and survived til the end, he really couldn't form an alliance or anything strategic because he was in no position to. But as I said, there's no way he articulates it correctly and Cochrans arguments/stamens were spot on point and convincing.

Erik going home really was a bummer.

I think it's clear Dawns a headcase.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #714 on: May 18, 2013, 04:47:57 AM »
Finally got to watch the finale/reunion.

I thought that Cochran winning was a no-brainer, especially once Eddie was gone, although I think Eddie would have had a chance to win if he had made it to the final three.

I still long for the early seasons when it was a final TWO instead of final THREE.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #715 on: May 18, 2013, 06:54:19 AM »

I still long for the early seasons when it was a final TWO instead of final THREE.

This. Has there been a good explanation as to why they went to three? There is consistently (1) out of the three that has no business being there that gets no votes. It's a waste. Bring back the two finalist format and throw some suspense in there.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #716 on: May 18, 2013, 07:06:51 AM »

This. Has there been a good explanation as to why they went to three? There is consistently (1) out of the three that has no business being there that gets no votes. It's a waste. Bring back the two finalist format and throw some suspense in there.

Maybe they wanted three people so it seemed less obvious who was going to win, or maybe so it was more likely there would be someone in the final three to keep fans interested.
But as you said, there is always someone who has no chance, so it doesn't make it any less predictable. It's never a close 3 person race. And it gives more time to dedicate to each person making their case, or answering questions, or just being ripped apart. While I have no problem with a final 3, I do think 2 works just as well.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #717 on: May 18, 2013, 07:28:06 AM »
What I'd really like to see again because no one has done it convincingly in quite some time, is someone put the effort into making a 'fake' immunity idol. I always imagine that if I were there and had found the real one I'd invest the time to make a realistic looking fake one.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #718 on: May 18, 2013, 09:47:55 AM »

I would imagine because when they got down to three, whoever won that last immunity basically got to pick which of the other two got to go to the finals (they couldn't vote for the immunity winner, so their votes against each other would cancel out).  So maybe stopping at the final three actually increases the chances for a split vote.

Just spitballin'.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #719 on: May 18, 2013, 05:55:05 PM »
Possibly cuts costs by not needing the extra episode?

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #720 on: May 19, 2013, 10:25:09 AM »
Ok.... Panda got me hooked on Survivor... I  watched a couple seasons on Hulu... and just finished 26 (minus the reunion episode)... holy crap I can't wait for 27 :D

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #721 on: May 19, 2013, 10:27:39 AM »
Ok.... Panda got me hooked on Survivor... I  watched a couple seasons on Hulu... and just finished 26 (minus the reunion episode)... holy crap I can't wait for 27 :D

:welcome:

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #722 on: May 19, 2013, 10:41:09 AM »

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #723 on: May 19, 2013, 11:13:41 AM »

Which seasons did you watch on Hulu, out of curiosity? I've considered going back to rewatch the earliest seasons since I hardly remember the contestants, but it doesn't quite feel the same to watch knowing it happened more than 10 years ago.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #724 on: May 19, 2013, 11:17:15 AM »
I wasn't as entirely focused on them as this one... but I think it was (both) redemption island(s) (the seasons with Brandon and Cochran on them?) and one other one... idr

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #725 on: May 19, 2013, 11:21:17 AM »
cool, cool. Cochran was also my favorite from that season, so I was glad to see him back. The same can't be said for Brandon.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #726 on: May 19, 2013, 11:27:24 AM »
Ok I know for a fact I watched Redemption Island, South Pacific, and a one other... I don't remember lol

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #727 on: September 17, 2013, 07:08:55 AM »
Survivor is BACK!  Tomorrow night, Blood vs. Water airs.  There's a lot going on with this season, here is a link to the full cast and all the new twists:

https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/survivor_blood_vs_water/2013_Aug_21_cast-twists

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #728 on: September 17, 2013, 07:18:28 AM »
For the past week or so I have been itching for more Survivor. I knew it must have been about time!

After reading that-

Rupert again? I liked him, but surely they've got others they could use.

I actually don't mind most of those changes, and I enjoyed Redemption Island, but I think they do too much tinkering sometimes. The show just needs strong challenges, and strong characters, and everything else will fall into place. They had good challenges last season.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #729 on: September 17, 2013, 07:26:48 AM »
Here's my biggest problem.  Colton.  Probst said he wouldn't be back, and now here he is.  Also, Probst has said he likes the Redemption Island idea, as it will allow people like Rupert and Colton (both seemingly universally despised by fans) to stick around longer.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #730 on: September 17, 2013, 07:35:27 AM »
When did Probst say Colton wouldn't come back? And is Rupert universally despised? Is it some kind of backlash from him returning so often? Why am I asking so many questions?

Looking at the cast photos, I actually don't recognize a lot of these people at a glance. I can't even tell which is the returning cast member, and which is their tag-along.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #731 on: September 17, 2013, 07:48:15 AM »
Regarding Colton:

https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/survivor_one_world/2012_Mar_28_colton-return-probst

This is Rupert's fourth time on the show.  Maybe he isn't universally despised, but I got the impression that he wasn't as big a favorite as he's made out to be.  Everyone can agree that Colton is a piece of shit, though he says he's grown up since One World.

I'm excited to see how Hayden from Big Brother does (Kat, from One World is his loved one).  He's been through the paranoia that pervades the entire game of Big Brother, so maybe that will help him.  Don't know.

Speaking of which, Big Brother's finale airs immediately after Survivor, with arguably the worst final 3 ever.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #732 on: September 17, 2013, 07:59:45 AM »
Colton seems like an obvious choice to me, so I'm surprised he ever said that. Colton's time was cut short, and he was hated. In Survivor, they love to bring back people who got a strong reaction, no matter what that reaction was.

I hope he gets booted off early though. He was a catty piece of crap.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #733 on: September 17, 2013, 08:00:58 AM »
Every time he showed up on the screen, we were ready to throw something at it.  He was a completely vile piece of shit in every way possible.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #734 on: September 17, 2013, 08:02:27 AM »
Colton = me not watching.