Author Topic: The Survivor Thread  (Read 188081 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: The Survivor Thread
« Reply #735 on: September 17, 2013, 08:13:16 AM »
Colton = me not watching. 

For reals? You never know, he might go early.
I don't want to lose a Survivor thread regular. It's one of the few things we can occasionally agree on! :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #736 on: September 17, 2013, 08:15:19 AM »
If he goes early, then I will start watching.  A girl friend of mine is already giving me crap, cause she likes discussing it with me every week :lol, but I told her the same thing: "Let me know when he is voted out, and then I'll start watching."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #737 on: September 17, 2013, 08:35:42 AM »
woo my first new season of Survivor as a fan :corn
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #738 on: September 17, 2013, 08:37:06 AM »
Yay!  Also, Amazing Race starts on the 29th.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #739 on: September 17, 2013, 05:55:13 PM »
I'm with Kev on this one, I don't think I can deal with Colton. I can't remember ever disliking a contestant more, or being happier to see someone medically evacuated from the game. I'll probably still watch anyhow, because I don't have the willpower to completely ignore one of my favorite shows, but it could turn into a painful affair if Colton sticks around for too long.

As for Rupert, I always liked him. 4 times is a bit excessive, no doubt, but he's certainly not universally despised.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #740 on: September 19, 2013, 01:31:48 AM »
Interesting first episode. The Blood vs Water dynamic has a lot more implications than I first realized, which was shown tonight in tribal council. I think it was a good idea, and would work equally well even without using returning players.
And Redemption Island adds yet another interesting dynamic with the substitutions and potential tribe swapping. But you just knew Rupert was going to swap out. He jumped out before Probst had even finished his sentence. :lol

I don't know a lot of the contestants, but there seem to be a lot of past winners, and they seem to have chosen a lot of people based on their loved one as much more moreso than the returning player.

I'd say it's promising so far. My main concern was that they'd made too many changes for the season, but the ideas seem to work together nicely so far.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #741 on: September 19, 2013, 07:08:32 AM »
Hell of a first show.  There's a LOT going on and a LOT of implications from everything they do.  It's pretty sinister how everything seems to be intertwined.  I'm really surprised that Katie didn't get voted out.  MAJOR raw deal for Marissa.  She did well in helping in the challenge, but got sent out because Gervase was an idiot, despite his being COMPLETELY useless in the challenge.

Also, REALLY surprised that Candice of all people got voted off the returnees' tribe.  Made little sense, but Rupert has a point.  Work yourself to death and hopefully I can beat you.  If he loses to her, he's going to look like a bit of an ass, I think.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #742 on: September 19, 2013, 07:21:17 AM »
He'd have to survive until the merge to get back into the game, right? Pretty slim chance there. Could end up being a bit of a non event for a 4th time returning player.

Until the puzzle, the new team was dominating, thanks to Gervase. It made me realize that despite the returning players having the slight advantage of having done it before, some of them are returning from pretty old seasons, and in many cases aren't exactly spring chickens compared to their partners.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #743 on: September 19, 2013, 10:25:01 AM »
Well, my series recording of Survivor on my DVR was still set from last year, so...

I caved and watched. :facepalm:

But I am glad I did.  It was a good first episode. 

LOL at Gervase hot dogging it after the challenge win when he sucked ass trying to swim.

O/U on how many times we see Colton cry every episode: 4   :lol :lol :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #744 on: September 19, 2013, 10:26:46 AM »
Yeah, Gervase shit the bed on that one.  I can't say MUCH, because that would've been me.  I doubt I'd have even made it to the boat.  Swimming is not my strong suit.

That said, if you're going on Survivor, you DAMN sure better know how to swim and do it fairly well.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #745 on: September 19, 2013, 10:28:14 PM »
O/U on how many times we see Colton cry every episode: 4   :lol :lol :lol

That could make a dangerous drinking game!

Yeah, Gervase shit the bed on that one.  I can't say MUCH, because that would've been me.  I doubt I'd have even made it to the boat.  Swimming is not my strong suit.

That said, if you're going on Survivor, you DAMN sure better know how to swim and do it fairly well.

I would have drowned and died. :lol But you don't go on a show like this without some practice, at least if you're a bigger guy who will have that expectation on them. You can't go through Survivor without several swimming challenges, and this is about as fresh as they're going to be going into a challenge, and he really had no stamina at all. He's lucky that they caught up the time in the challenge, because he completely gave up and would have surely been voted off.

I wouldn't be surprised if they lost the next challenge because of him, and he got the boot anyway.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #746 on: September 21, 2013, 09:32:32 PM »
I watched with some trepidation, not really liking the idea for the theme.

I was pleasantly surprised.

Holy shit, no way I would ever participate in this version of Survivor.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #747 on: September 26, 2013, 02:44:10 AM »
Well Rupert was a total non-event. I didn't expect he'd make it all the way back into the game anyway. He placed that thingy really badly. Of course it was going to fall once he started bumping it when the next one!

Colton's back to being bitchy and all over the place, and next week looks to continue that.

Probst said it well when he said there are more layers to coting this season than ever before. A lot more strategy to think of. The strategy doesn't end at voting them out anymore, it extends all the way to the other team, and to loved ones. I think it makes the whole game much less predictable.

I'm getting the feeling that this Survivor is basically an extended family visit episode. That's always a big episode for them, so I think they're trying to milk out that concept to a whole season. :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #748 on: September 26, 2013, 07:00:59 AM »
Yep.  Two episodes in and Colton is a pain in the ass again.  "Gay Russel Hantz" as Aras called him.  THAT'S funny.  :lol

And it looks like Tyson will play RIGHT into what they didn't want to happen next week, though it could be a big league bluff on the part of the previews.  I was happy to see Candice win the RI challenge.

Also, did anyone else notice Tyson sitting at the campfire at night behind Aras, with his arms him?  That was extremely weird.

Also, I'm okay with Katie staying more or less indefinitely.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #749 on: September 26, 2013, 07:21:15 AM »
Yep.  Two episodes in and Colton is a pain in the ass again.  "Gay Russel Hantz" as Aras called him.  THAT'S funny.  :lol

And it looks like Tyson will play RIGHT into what they didn't want to happen next week, though it could be a big league bluff on the part of the previews.  I was happy to see Candice win the RI challenge.

Also, did anyone else notice Tyson sitting at the campfire at night behind Aras, with his arms him?  That was extremely weird.

I missed the first episode but was reminded in a matter of seconds of why I despise(d) Colton so much. Geez....what a friggin' a$$hat. It doesn't appear he will last long though, first time they lose a challenge it looks as if there are enough folks that are on to him already to send him to Redemption Island.

I noticed the Tyson/Aras campfire love clutch as well. 'twas a bit odd.

Candace is hot.

And I do think that preview was designed to trick us into believing Tyson would swap....I think he's just chest thumping to the other tribe that 'its on'.....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #750 on: September 26, 2013, 07:29:46 AM »

I missed that! I'll have to check it back. Weird.

And yeah, that preview makes it look very cut and dried that Tyson will swap. Which i guess means that it definitely won't.

Really? No thanks.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #751 on: September 26, 2013, 07:30:48 AM »

Really? No thanks.

To be fair, it isn't even remotely because of her gameplay or her personality.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #752 on: September 26, 2013, 07:32:11 AM »

Really? No thanks.

To be fair, it isn't even remotely because of her gameplay or her personality.

Don't worry, I know full well both of your reasons.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #753 on: September 26, 2013, 07:33:08 AM »
 :biggrin:

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #754 on: September 26, 2013, 09:12:31 PM »
So... why didn't the tribe vote Colton out when they first landed on the beach? He can only hurt tribe chemistry, and in no way is he an asset in challenges.

As of right now my two favorite characters are Aras and his brother. I hope they each make it far in their respective tribes, and get together come merge time.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #755 on: October 02, 2013, 12:02:22 PM »
So apparently, if you check the cable guide and read the description of tonight's episode of Survivor, it contains a major spoiler.  In addition, CBS has pics on its Survivor website that spoil some of tonight's episode, as well.  Unbelievable.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #756 on: October 02, 2013, 12:43:17 PM »
 :facepalm: That's super annoying. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #757 on: October 02, 2013, 12:46:36 PM »
Yeah, I checked my local cable guide to ensure this was accurate and mine has the spoiler.  Unreal.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #758 on: October 02, 2013, 10:06:42 PM »
Probst was TICKED at Colton as he should have been. He really laid into him....Colton was a loser before and still is. I thought it was awesome how that tribe just alienated him and drove him away. That's what should have been done to Boston Rob the season he won. Just an immediate " you're done, don't even try"

Candace is hot.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #759 on: October 02, 2013, 10:06:44 PM »
So what was the spoiler? Was it about Colton?

So glad Colton is out. What a piece of crap. Nobody's mourning that loss. Probst was right to give his departure no dignity.

I think every single person voted out so far has been in a large way based on their loved one, rather than directly about them. Really interesting to see.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #760 on: October 02, 2013, 10:23:32 PM »
So what was the spoiler? Was it about Colton?

So glad Colton is out. What a piece of crap. Nobody's mourning that loss. Probst was right to give his departure no dignity.

I think every single person voted out so far has been in a large way based on their loved one, rather than directly about them. Really interesting to see.

I didn't see the spoiler but it had to be considering how ticked Coz was. I thought it was great how harsh Probst was to Colton. A lot of people wish they could play that game and then you quit?

The 'blood' aspect of the show has added an interesting element for sure.

Candace is hot.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #761 on: October 03, 2013, 06:47:40 AM »
Dear Colton.  How's the new asshole that Probst ripped you?

Holy crap, that was major.  Although Colton's now saying on Twitter: "Just wait until you can hear what REALLY happened that Probst doesn't want you to see."

Something tells me there ISN'T a lot more to this.  Colton is a drama queen in every sense of the word.  Good riddance, asshole.

Also, I loved Marissa's "FUCK YOU, BRAD CULPEPER!"  Nice.

Brad is a total snake.  Every season, someone emerges as the person you're REALLY going to be happy to see get blindsided.  Brad is that person for me this season.  Those guys keep purposely voting out strong players like last night, and they're going to swap up tribes pretty soon.

But yeah, I wasn't necessarily ticked about it, it eemed a pretty forgone conclusion, but I was definitely facepalming over it.  The description on the cable guide read:  "A family rivalry leads to an emotional breakdown; a contestant quits the game; a shocking blindside.'  If you watched last week's preview or saw ANY commercials for it this week, then read that, you knew who it would be.  No biggie, but I'm really kinda surprised they let it slip like that.  I suppose it could be that they were trying to lure back people who refused to watch because of Colton.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #762 on: October 03, 2013, 07:10:04 AM »
Oh yeah, if you saw the preview last week, it would be impossible not to put 2+2 together and know it was Colton. What a shitty spoiler.

Sounds like Colton is still being a bitch even now. Obviously they can't show every bit of footage from around camp, but I don't get the feeling that there was much more contributing to Colton's exit than what we saw. He's a drama queen who overreacts, and I'm glad they gave him an unceremonious exit. You get given a second chance, and don't even see it through.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #763 on: October 03, 2013, 07:12:17 AM »
I was elated to see Probst give him such a hard time.  And you can't throw your buff in the fire, that's for people who compete.  BOOM, bitch!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #764 on: October 03, 2013, 01:02:22 PM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #765 on: October 03, 2013, 01:05:10 PM »
That's what Probst and the producers get for bringing back a whiny crybaby whom very few wanted to see play the game again.  Thank God he is gone, as the season is now much more watchable now.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #766 on: October 03, 2013, 01:06:53 PM »
Probst now being the host AND running the show kinda seems to compromise the show's integrity.  Methinks it was much better when he was just the host.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #767 on: October 03, 2013, 01:15:58 PM »
Oh, and I am sorry, but I am not buying his "I left the game so my partner could win" line of crap.  He is a little crybaby who is incapable of getting along with people who aren't just like him or won't play his stupid games, hence all of his crying about his tribe not wanting to sink to his level of having drama everywhere, so he quit.  He is a quitter, and that is what quitters do; they quit.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #768 on: October 03, 2013, 01:18:38 PM »
Well, it does seem like a fairly logical explanation.

Had it come from a logical person.

Good riddance, loser.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #769 on: October 03, 2013, 10:00:18 PM »
Well, it does seem like a fairly logical explanation.

Had it come from a logical person.

Good riddance, loser.

Yeah, that. It's a reasonable explanation given the timing of his exit, but coming from Colton, it would have only been a small part of what made up his mind at best, if at all.
He could always have, I don't know, actually started being less of a dick and fitting into his tribe and playing the game. If you can't play the game one way, you adapt. That's what you need to do be able to win Survivor. You adapt to the circumstances. Having two of you in the game gives you twice as many chances of winning, and if he got voted out he could always have discussed it with Caleb and not let him swap.

But instead he whined and quit.