Author Topic: SNOW!!! v. ARRRRRGGGG!!!  (Read 89764 times)

Offline Spiritus

Re: SNOW!!! v. ARRRRRGGGG!!!
« Reply #770 on: February 03, 2022, 04:12:29 PM »
Luckily this storm didnt hit us too much and I did 2 rounds of shoveling last night so I didn't have too much today.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #771 on: February 03, 2022, 04:15:30 PM »
Yeah, a lot of the Midwest is getting it this week.  It has been snowing pretty good yesterday morning here in St Louis. Not sure the exact totals in my area, but has to be 8-10 inches at least from the looks of it.  Supposed to stop here in a bit finally and am hoping they get the roads good enough for me to back to the office tomorrow after working at home yesterday and today.  We have the option for either tomorrow, but I'd rather be at the office. I am more organized and focused there.

9" here at my house. It's been a while since it's been this much accumulation. Usually it's 2-4" and that's it. I've been working from home since Wednesday as well.

Sounds about right.  It can stop any time now.  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #772 on: February 03, 2022, 05:17:35 PM »
Kev, definitely on the tornadoes. I'm so glad we don't deal with that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #773 on: February 03, 2022, 05:18:36 PM »
My mother always talks about the tornados from when we lived out there.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #774 on: February 05, 2022, 01:43:15 PM »
The byproduct of the Texas utility nightmare from last year finally hit like we were warned it would. I just got my gas bill and I was shocked. Went back into my history and the highest bill I ever had in 14 years in this house was $70. My average is always between $20-$50 depending on the time of year. My bill just came in at $120! Last month was $86. It's been cold, but not that kind of cold.

They warned us in the fall that we were going to be paying the price for Texas' screw-up. They weren't kidding.

Seeing as these severe weather swings are becoming more common, they better get their act together so we aren't forced to pay the price for their mismanagement (again).
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #775 on: February 06, 2022, 02:54:36 PM »
The byproduct of the Texas utility nightmare from last year finally hit like we were warned it would. I just got my gas bill and I was shocked. Went back into my history and the highest bill I ever had in 14 years in this house was $70. My average is always between $20-$50 depending on the time of year. My bill just came in at $120! Last month was $86. It's been cold, but not that kind of cold.

They warned us in the fall that we were going to be paying the price for Texas' screw-up. They weren't kidding.

Seeing as these severe weather swings are becoming more common, they better get their act together so we aren't forced to pay the price for their mismanagement (again).
The gas thing was funny. The electric companies lobbied the state to allow a surcharge to make up for their losses last year. On the basis that if they didn't allow the surcharges then consumers would see an increase in their bills (I shit you not) the state allowed it. Next thing you know the gas companies scream bloody murder "hey, what about us!" So Texas allows them to jack up rates because "well, it's only fair, since the electric guys got theirs."   :lol

In the end, none of it will matter and none of it will be fixed. People will still move here because things are cheep. They'll bitch about it when they get what they pay for (like last year) and then move on. Texas only cares that business and industry are happy. We're simply fodder.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #776 on: February 06, 2022, 10:04:18 PM »
Yeah, I know nothing will get done. It just irks me that I am up here in Illinois where your 'disaster weather' last year is just another day here. In the same 14 years in this house I have had maybe 2 extended outages and those are usually caused by someone or something knocking a pole over somewhere. The worst outage was probably about 5 hours.

All Fall the news up here warned us. I didn't think much of it until that sticker shock bill. Even our gas company warned us and called out Texas as the reason for the sky high rates.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #777 on: March 10, 2022, 06:23:44 AM »
Ugh. I thought we were done for the year. You think I'd learn by now.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #778 on: March 12, 2022, 04:28:33 PM »
I was driving back from Raleigh this morning and it snowed for about an hour of the drive. It was in the 80's just over a week ago.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #779 on: December 24, 2022, 06:28:06 AM »
Currently 4 degrees outside.

The windows in my place are frozen shut, lol

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #780 on: December 24, 2022, 06:33:25 AM »
We got significant snow three out of the last 5 days (probably 16 inches or more total at my house), plus yesterday was so windy it all blew back onto the driveway and roads. And it's been below zero for a few days in a row now too. This is the time of year I seriously consider moving someplace warmer. At least we're set up for it though. Roads are plowed quickly and houses are well insulated and heated. But it still gets very old fast in the winter.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #781 on: December 24, 2022, 07:18:02 AM »
We got significant snow three out of the last 5 days (probably 16 inches or more total at my house), plus yesterday was so windy it all blew back onto the driveway and roads. And it's been below zero for a few days in a row now too. This is the time of year I seriously consider moving someplace warmer. At least we're set up for it though. Roads are plowed quickly and houses are well insulated and heated. But it still gets very old fast in the winter.

Power's been out for about 16 hours now, with very little chance of it coming back on today - thank god for a hardwired/natural gas generator. (sorry King)

The wind is brutal.  I've got 3 trees down (2 of them on my fence so I was out there with a chainsaw earlier).  Snow drifts in some places are 5-6 feet high.  There are spots on my driveway that are clear, while both my front and back covered porches have about a foot or more of snow piled up.  I spent 90 minutes outside this morning clearing a path to my generator and ensuring the vents were unobstructed, then noticed the end strip of the vinyl siding that is the ceiling of my back porch had come loose.  One strong gust of wind could've pulled the entire ceiling down.  Snapped took me 15 minutes or so just to clear the stuff against the wall that was covered in snow just to get the step ladder in a position I could make the fix.  Fortunately it snapped back in place.  I popped a couple of screws in it (surprised there weren't any tbh) just to make sure it doesn't slip out again.

Oh, and apparently we're still in for another 30cms of snow by the end of day tomorrow.  Good luck, Santa.  I'd hate to be a parent trying to explain to kids how that fat bastard is gonna travel in this weather, when the power is out all over.

"Mommy, why won't Santa bring us heat??"   :lol :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #782 on: December 24, 2022, 07:52:04 AM »
Power's been out for about 16 hours now, with very little chance of it coming back on today - thank god for a hardwired/natural gas generator. (sorry King)

The wind is brutal.  I've got 3 trees down (2 of them on my fence so I was out there with a chainsaw earlier).  Snow drifts in some places are 5-6 feet high.  There are spots on my driveway that are clear, while both my front and back covered porches have about a foot or more of snow piled up.  I spent 90 minutes outside this morning clearing a path to my generator and ensuring the vents were unobstructed, then noticed the end strip of the vinyl siding that is the ceiling of my back porch had come loose.  One strong gust of wind could've pulled the entire ceiling down.  Snapped took me 15 minutes or so just to clear the stuff against the wall that was covered in snow just to get the step ladder in a position I could make the fix.  Fortunately it snapped back in place.  I popped a couple of screws in it (surprised there weren't any tbh) just to make sure it doesn't slip out again.

Oh, and apparently we're still in for another 30cms of snow by the end of day tomorrow.

Wow Chad. That blows.. Fuck.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #783 on: December 24, 2022, 08:55:47 AM »
I had to be out most of the last 2 days and it was brutal. The wind was just stupid. Never been that cold before in my life. I practically got frostbite just loading groceries into my car. We were sitting around -30F with the windchills. I think it got about as warm as -4F here yesterday without the wind. Thankfully, barely any snow but I drove through some pure whiteout conditions just from blowing snow. It's a brisk 4F right now with a wind chill of -14F.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #784 on: December 24, 2022, 09:11:52 AM »
Even though it's 4 F degrees with a windchill of -20 in Baltimore, I'm grateful to no longer be in Kalamazoo with all their snow.  And, grateful that we haven't lost power, unlike a friend five blocks away since yesterday.

A couple of times over the years, a Ravens season ticket holder has invited me to go when his wife could not make it.  One time for a MNF game where they beat Favre and the Packers 48-10.  He tells me 'I never leave a game early'.  Well, it was so cold and miserable that night, that with three minutes left, he looks at me, and his 'never' streak ended. :D

I got a call this morning.  At least, in some regards, I've become wiser over the years.  I kindly declined.

Good luck to all those not so fortunate with the conditions this weekend.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #785 on: December 24, 2022, 09:34:33 AM »
all the pics are on mrs.jingle's phone.  I'll post a couple when I get the chance.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #786 on: December 24, 2022, 11:23:01 AM »
Stay safe mate.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #787 on: December 24, 2022, 11:23:25 AM »
We had a ton of snow over the past few days. Yesterday the roads were a gong show, and very icy. Now it is pouring rain. With all the melting snow, the risk is now flooding and possible subsequent freezing of the rain and melted snow. Fabulous.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #788 on: December 25, 2022, 05:00:21 AM »
Snow and wind seems to have abated.  Sad for the road and power crews that will have to work today.  I'll still be shocked if we get power back today.

Pics later ... though the pics I've taken so far don't do the scene any justice.  This is/was the most intense storm I've ever seen in my 51 years on pale blue dot.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #789 on: December 25, 2022, 06:22:22 AM »
That's amazing Chad. But it sucks dogs big time. I'm glad you have your generator at least.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #790 on: December 25, 2022, 06:46:35 AM »
Yes - the wind has finally broke!

It's been so cold and windy that my 10lb Min-Pin when finally desperate, would go out and would literally be limping because his paws were that cold. He has pooed in the house a couple of times but at least pisses outside.

Fortunately, we didn't lose power (knock on wood).

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #791 on: December 25, 2022, 11:41:32 AM »
Snow and wind seems to have abated.  Sad for the road and power crews that will have to work today.  I'll still be shocked if we get power back today.

Pics later ... though the pics I've taken so far don't do the scene any justice.  This is/was the most intense storm I've ever seen in my 51 years on pale blue dot.

Oh, that’s brutal to be without power on Christmas day. I hope it doesn’t spoil the day for you and your family.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #792 on: December 26, 2022, 06:19:25 AM »
Power came on about 10pm last night - 54 hours we had to "rough it" :lol.  I don't know how our neighbours across the road managed.  The investment of a standby generator pretty much paid for itself these past few days - it would've been hell otherwise.  Some more snow fell overnight - but it looks like light/fluffy stuff.  Possibly some more today.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #793 on: December 26, 2022, 06:38:57 AM »
Glad you have power back Chad! Stupid question but with the generator do you have full power in your house? Or does it only power the essentials like heating and appliances?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #794 on: December 26, 2022, 07:20:57 AM »
Glad you have power back Chad! Stupid question but with the generator do you have full power in your house? Or does it only power the essentials like heating and appliances?

You can get a whole home generator, but we just got one that has 8-breakers, enough to power essentials - septic and sump pumps, furnace, water heater, and a variety of outlets throughout the house.  We've got the fridges/freezer covered, but not the oven or other major appliances.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #795 on: December 26, 2022, 11:13:56 AM »
Glad to hear the power has returned. :)
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #796 on: December 26, 2022, 11:19:04 AM »
If you saw the pics Chad sent me you'd be blown away with the amount of snow that dropped.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #797 on: December 26, 2022, 12:59:39 PM »
If you saw the pics Chad sent me you'd be blown away with the amount of snow that dropped.
[/quote

Yeah, there was more snow in those pics than my area has seen since the ice ages.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #798 on: December 26, 2022, 03:34:27 PM »

You can get a whole home generator, but we just got one that has 8-breakers, enough to power essentials - septic and sump pumps, furnace, water heater, and a variety of outlets throughout the house.  We've got the fridges/freezer covered, but not the oven or other major appliances.
Just reading your posts about the weather.  Glad to hear it's finally calming down a bit.  And that you had some power. And especially heat. 

Could you set up your generator to be able to use your oven or at least the stovetop if this went on longer?  Or a microwave?   Just curious.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #799 on: December 26, 2022, 08:08:23 PM »

Just reading your posts about the weather.  Glad to hear it's finally calming down a bit.  And that you had some power. And especially heat. 

Could you set up your generator to be able to use your oven or at least the stovetop if this went on longer?  Or a microwave?   Just curious.

Yeah, we had/have plenty of counter-top appliances that we're able to use - air fryer, kettle, coffee maker, toaster oven, microwave etc...  Could've got the crock-pot out if need be.  Like I said "roughing it".   :lol

Offline JLa

« Reply #800 on: December 27, 2022, 05:21:19 AM »
The weather this Christmas has been something of its own. First we had a few days of freezing cold (-23 C / -9 F), before it suddenly shifted to rain and +3 C / +37 F. The rain froze to ice the second it hit the ground, turning every road and driveway into a skating rink. Lots of accidents reported from everywhere.

It's better today. We're staying put for one more day, letting the road crew do their thing making the roads safe again.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #801 on: December 27, 2022, 05:47:36 AM »
There's gonna be a few more flurries today, then weather above freezing for a week, with rain on Saturday, and 10C with even more rain by Tuesday.  Prolly gonna be a shit-ton of flooding.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #802 on: December 27, 2022, 06:53:09 AM »
There's gonna be a few more flurries today, then weather above freezing for a week, with rain on Saturday, and 10C with even more rain by Tuesday.  Prolly gonna be a shit-ton of flooding.

Oh for sure!  We had water spill on the street from the culvert pipes that were jammed with leaves and then the whole street froze.  Took 2 days for the town to salt and sand there.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #803 on: February 22, 2023, 07:37:56 AM »
Dumped 14 inches of snow overnight and it's still coming down for the next few hours. With the high winds, it's drifting up into doorways and windows...in fact I had to wear goggles to keep the snow out of my eyes while clearing part of the driveway. I'm going to wait until noon or so to clear the rest out.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #804 on: February 22, 2023, 07:40:34 AM »
Dumped 14 inches of snow overnight and it's still coming down for the next few hours. With the high winds, it's drifting up into doorways and windows...in fact I had to wear goggles to keep the snow out of my eyes while clearing part of the driveway. I'm going to wait until noon or so to clear the rest out.

Oh wow!