Author Topic: SNOW!!! v. ARRRRRGGGG!!!  (Read 88883 times)

Online hunnus2000

Re: SNOW!!! v. ARRRRRGGGG!!!
« Reply #665 on: February 13, 2021, 07:57:12 AM »
Here in Mid-MO we'll be in the negatives in the evening and in single digits during the day until Tuesday. More snow is on the way.

We've had snow on the ground for over a week but for now, at least the roads are clear.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #666 on: February 13, 2021, 01:40:01 PM »
I'm over this cold snap. Spent an hour and a half clearing my driveway and sidewalks in -15 to -20 wind chills this morning. The wind needs to stop too. I live in a rural area in the middle of farm country and the wind just sucks. We only got maybe 2 inches of snow overnight but I had drifts of over a foot I had to clear.

Everything hurts and I still feel cold and I finished 2 hours ago.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #667 on: February 13, 2021, 01:46:15 PM »
About 6" where I live over the past 12 hours or so, which is not very common at all.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #668 on: February 13, 2021, 02:00:39 PM »
We need El Barto to weigh in here; his neck of the woods has been in the news for cold and I understand there MIGHT be a little snow in HIS forecast coming up.
As of right now they're predicting six to nine inches on Wed. Really, though, that's not terribly uncommon for Dallas. Up until lately we tended to get snow once a year. It's been a few years, thoough. A few years back we got 14" in one day (which was a blast!). What's freakish is that we stand a decent chance of hitting a negative temperature this week. I believe that would only be the 4th time in 140 years of recorded history.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jammindude

« Reply #669 on: February 13, 2021, 03:09:00 PM »
Most of you know I'm generally in the Seattle area.  (about 30 miles SE of the city) 

And I cannot believe the change in snow chances since I was a kid.    In the 70s and 80s, it was fairly common to get a decent snow.   Probably about 3-4 inches, about every 3-4 years, that stayed on the ground for about 3-4 days.   Sometimes you had a couple storms over the course of a winter. 

But man...it feels like YEARS since I've seen a decent *long lasting* storm in the puget sound region.   I was so happy when we got about 6" in February of last year, but after waking up to it, it turned to rain by mid day, and had all washed away by the following morning.  Pathetic.   

All this week they were telling us that a huge arctic blast was coming in that was going to bring snow starting last Tuesday.   But by Monday they had pushed it back to Wednesday.   Then by Tuesday they were saying Thursday.   Then Wednesday they said Friday.   My foreman told the whole crew that if there was any snow Friday morning, it was OK to not come in.   Friday got really cold...but not a single flake.   I had to go to work outside in frigid cold conditions.    Today finally brought some snow.  I have about 2 inches at my house and it's continuing to fall very lightly. 

What's weird is that I moved to an area of the foothills of the Cascade mountains... SPECIFICALLY picked this town to live in...because they were notorious for getting snow when everyone else was getting rain.   But today?   The winds are working against me.   All my friends in the surrounding areas have between 6-8 inches, and I have *TWO*.    And it will most likely be gone by Monday, leaving me to go back to work in just above freezing temperatures in the rain. 

I want a REAL snow storm!!   :'( :'( :'( :'( 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #670 on: February 13, 2021, 03:15:53 PM »

Can you imagine, though, how our region would handle a major snow storm, like they get out in the NE? I remember during a major snowfall years ago, riding back from the airport in a shuttle with someone from Chicago. He was quiet the whole trip, until he busted out with a "this how y'all plow roads out here?" He was appalled at the road conditions.

I do know what you mean in the rest of your post.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #671 on: February 13, 2021, 04:24:41 PM »
All my friends in the surrounding areas have between 6-8 inches, and I have *TWO*.

:neverusethis:

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #672 on: February 13, 2021, 04:26:23 PM »
Most of you know I'm generally in the Seattle area.  (about 30 miles SE of the city) 

And I cannot believe the change in snow chances since I was a kid.    In the 70s and 80s, it was fairly common to get a decent snow.   Probably about 3-4 inches, about every 3-4 years, that stayed on the ground for about 3-4 days.   Sometimes you had a couple storms over the course of a winter. 

But man...it feels like YEARS since I've seen a decent *long lasting* storm in the puget sound region.   I was so happy when we got about 6" in February of last year, but after waking up to it, it turned to rain by mid day, and had all washed away by the following morning.  Pathetic.   

All this week they were telling us that a huge arctic blast was coming in that was going to bring snow starting last Tuesday.   But by Monday they had pushed it back to Wednesday.   Then by Tuesday they were saying Thursday.   Then Wednesday they said Friday.   My foreman told the whole crew that if there was any snow Friday morning, it was OK to not come in.   Friday got really cold...but not a single flake.   I had to go to work outside in frigid cold conditions.    Today finally brought some snow.  I have about 2 inches at my house and it's continuing to fall very lightly. 

What's weird is that I moved to an area of the foothills of the Cascade mountains... SPECIFICALLY picked this town to live in...because they were notorious for getting snow when everyone else was getting rain.   But today?   The winds are working against me.   All my friends in the surrounding areas have between 6-8 inches, and I have *TWO*.    And it will most likely be gone by Monday, leaving me to go back to work in just above freezing temperatures in the rain. 

J-Dude, are you alright?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #673 on: February 13, 2021, 04:57:59 PM »
All my friends in the surrounding areas have between 6-8 inches, and I have *TWO*.

:neverusethis:

“I’m hung like a pimple.”  - Howard Stern

Offline jammindude

« Reply #674 on: February 13, 2021, 05:00:42 PM »

J-Dude, are you alright?

Just exasperated that I spent a whole week thinking I was going to get a 3-day weekend that never happened.  My current work *crew* is amazing...but working conditions are among the worst I’ve ever experienced.  So I’m frustrated, but otherwise fine.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #675 on: February 13, 2021, 07:21:04 PM »
We got Strong wind, Rain, Thunder, Lightning, and Snow...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #676 on: February 14, 2021, 10:34:48 AM »
4-6 inches of snow coming later today and into tomorrow, and it is now up to 6 degrees here.  Feels like a heat wave after we were at 1 degrees a few hours ago. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #677 on: February 14, 2021, 11:25:00 AM »
Yup, it's snowy, windy and cold, today.

And I better get things done early today, cause the roads are going to ice up fast, and people drive horribly here in the snow.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline T-ski

« Reply #678 on: February 14, 2021, 11:41:12 AM »
No snow, but it hasn’t been above zero for about 48 hours, might get over zero tomorrow.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #679 on: February 14, 2021, 01:14:51 PM »
Nearly got up to 0oC around here today!  We're supposed to get 20-30cm starting tomorrow, and going in to Tuesday morning. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #680 on: February 14, 2021, 02:01:05 PM »
Warm afternoon here. -2 F with a -22 F wind chill. For you Canadians, I guess that equates to -18 and -30, roughly. Weatherbug's icon for the weather in my area is an igloo. Wonder if they're trying to tell me something.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #681 on: February 14, 2021, 03:43:17 PM »
High of 16 down here, which for us is fairly chilly. Snow's been falling all day, but it's teeny-tiny flakes that just turn to ice when they hit the ground. I'll make a venture out a little later to see if there's even enough powder to fill my bong, but I really haven't seen much accumulation. That said, the forecast calls for a fair amount of it over the next day. If nothing else there might be a snow bong wake and bake in my future.

On the bright side, I made a lovely pot of soup, and it's a nice lazy Sunday stuck indoors. As opposed to the last 52 crappy lazy Sunday's stuck indoors.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #682 on: February 14, 2021, 05:28:37 PM »
That's crazy. We were 32 in N.H. today.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline romdrums

« Reply #683 on: February 14, 2021, 07:00:07 PM »
We’re supposed to get 1-2 inches in Fort Wayne tonight, and then 8-12 tomorrow night. We were supposed to get super cold this weekend, so I’m glad that didn’t materialize.  I can handle the snow, I can’t handle the cold.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #684 on: February 15, 2021, 08:21:21 AM »
High of 16 down here, which for us is fairly chilly. Snow's been falling all day, but it's teeny-tiny flakes that just turn to ice when they hit the ground. I'll make a venture out a little later to see if there's even enough powder to fill my bong, but I really haven't seen much accumulation. That said, the forecast calls for a fair amount of it over the next day. If nothing else there might be a snow bong wake and bake in my future.

On the bright side, I made a lovely pot of soup, and it's a nice lazy Sunday stuck indoors. As opposed to the last 52 crappy lazy Sunday's stuck indoors.

Soup is the BEST when it's cold and snowing. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #685 on: February 15, 2021, 08:43:04 AM »
Almost 40 degrees out today and I was literally wearing shorts  :lol

Its been like below 20 for the past two weeks so I'll take it  ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #686 on: February 15, 2021, 08:57:17 AM »
1 degrees here and snowing like mad.  The good news is that our boss emailed us all last night and said to work from home today, which is double good considering the weather AND most of the customers whose accounts I manage are off today due to the holiday, so it won't be as busy a day as normal, with the exception of having to cancel and/or reschedule a million things due to weather delays. 

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #687 on: February 15, 2021, 10:45:25 AM »

Soup is the BEST when it's cold and snowing.

Soup, Stew or Chili!!   :metal

Offline T-ski

« Reply #688 on: February 15, 2021, 11:04:40 AM »
My car said 0 today so I’m taking that as winter is officially over.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline romdrums

« Reply #689 on: February 16, 2021, 07:06:18 AM »
Pretty sure I shoveled at least a foot of snow out of my driveway this morning.  Glad it was the powdery stuff.  Freeways were in good shape, but even the main city roads were shit.  Glad I don't live in Texas!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online faizoff

« Reply #690 on: February 16, 2021, 07:30:35 AM »
Hope you guys in the wrath of this snowstorm are safe, I'm going to play it safe as well and stay indoor today, it's a dangerous high of 66 today with slight windy conditions. Truly apocalyptic times.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #691 on: February 16, 2021, 07:40:16 AM »
Just like last time, I only got 2-3 inches total but I see drifts anywhere from knee to hip deep that I need to clear. Gonna wait until this afternoon. Even though we are having a heatwave and it is 6 F, the winds are still over 20mph. It's supposed to get all the way to 10 this afternoon and the winds are supposed to lower to around no more than 10mph.

I'm so done with this winter.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #692 on: February 16, 2021, 07:45:16 AM »
Well, crap.  The snow was still coming down last night around 9:00, but my son had gone to work at 3:00 in the afternoon and would be coming back later.  Meanwhile, the plows had come by a couple of times, so I went out to run the snowblower.

The electric starter did not let me down, but as soon as I tried to engage the auger, it made a noise and stalled.  Tried it a few times, same result each time.  I checked the intake, and there's snow from last time, which partially melted then froze solid.  It's been single digits or below here for a week, so it's solid ice in there, and I wasn't going to be able to clear it with the stupid plastic tool they give you.  Or anything else I had handy.  I shoveled the walkway and a path down the side of the driveway for after he gets his car in, but I can't do the stuff at the end of the driveway (heart condition).  It didn't look too bad, actually, piled kinda high but all fluffy.  His car's on the driveway now, so I guess he made it in.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #693 on: February 16, 2021, 01:25:57 PM »
We hit double digits so I took advantage of that over lunch to clear the snow. We got about 3 inches but the winds did all the damage. My sidewalks were clear before yesterday. Today they were 25-30 inches high. So thankful I bought a big snowblower. The wall in the picture is about 28 inches high. A sidewalk on the other side of my driveway was almost 30 inches high and I had to clear probably 15-20 feet of it. The lower part of my driveway had maybe an inch of new snow. So weird how it was all spread out.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #694 on: February 16, 2021, 11:17:56 PM »
Just a bit of nomenclature. Rolling blackouts mean temporary shutdowns on a rotating basis so that nobody's completely without and you better distribute the load. Great strategy. Shutting people's power off and leaving it off for 2 days is not part of a rolling blackout. It's a blackout. I'm guessing people have seen a blurb here or there on the news about rolling blackouts in Texas. They're lying. There isn't any load redistribution. Texas's energy grid collapsed and they don't now what the fuck to do about it. And to be fair, these things happen. This is a freak winter storm we're having down here. Yet after two days they're still reporting it as occasional, temporary shutdowns to help manage the situation. The load of bullshit coming out of these people is mind-boggling. I'm looking forward to see some heads rolling, and because this is Texas and Governor Cripple is apparently livid, they will. 

For my part, we've had highs at 22 and lows at -2, and my neighborhood went black early Monday morning. My condo was 44 when I woke up Tuesday morning, but I can deal with that well enough. Around 1700 it started dropping again (from 44) and I decided it was probably better to flee. I'm able to tough that out,but since they're not even admitting that the power is out in my neighborhood I have no reason to think they're wiling or able to fix it any time soon, Friday would be my guess, so no point trying to wait it out. I pow-wowed with some of my neighbors, and everybody who can is clearing out. The people that can't might very well wake up to freezing temperatures inside their homes Wednesday morning and the weather won't improve until the weekend, at the soonest.

To top it all off, the City of Dallas is pleading with the powers that be to tell them where they can shelter people without fear of getting the power turned off, and they're being completely blown off. "If we put people in this rec center can we be assured that you won't shut the power off there?" "No comment." Simply because they don't know what's going on or how to deal with it, while still trying to maintain some facade that everything is under control. Dallas is actually trying to stage DART busses at stragetic locations just so that people can go inside for a few minutes at a time to warm up a bit.

Free market capitalists love to point out that nothing's free and you'll always pay for it. "Free healthcare for all isn't free. You just pay for it elsewhere." Well, that low cost of living people move to Texas to take advantage of isn't free, either. You pay for it in myriad ways, and one of them is that when the ramashackle infrastructure fails they'll just leave you to fucking die while spinning the story to make it sound like it's all under control.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 11:28:09 PM by El Barto »
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #695 on: February 17, 2021, 04:58:22 AM »
Yikes Bart!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #696 on: February 17, 2021, 05:16:23 AM »
My kid is a couple miles from Bart, and she's said - basically, since she's not as hip to the inner workings as Bart is - a very similar story.   Her house is out of power and has been since... I think Sunday or Monday; her and her roommates have been staying with another friend and they just got power last night, but who knows how long it will last.   The food distribution is open on her campus, but everything else is basically closed with no real clear end in sight.   She grew up in the North, so "snow" and "cold" is nothing to her, but she and some of her friends are legit scared.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #697 on: February 17, 2021, 07:03:28 AM »
Holy fuckity fuck!  That’s insane. A work colleague of mine has power, but is without water, and resorted to collecting snow in the bathtub to melt.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #698 on: February 17, 2021, 08:35:30 AM »
Debrakadabra posted that her pipes froze and busted last night.  That is happening to so many there in Texas.  That's scary because houses aren't insulated the same as up north I bet plus add all the mold this will cause.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #699 on: February 17, 2021, 12:06:59 PM »
 :lol