Author Topic: SNOW!!! v. ARRRRRGGGG!!!  (Read 88961 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: SNOW!!! v. ARRRRRGGGG!!!
« Reply #735 on: October 29, 2021, 08:37:18 AM »
After 36 hours!!!!

SO POWAH SO ENERGY!!!!!!

How did most survive without electricity?  We are so dependent.

Word.  I watch my stepson when the power goes out.   12 minutes and he's like "where's the internet?".   I remember having power out for three days when I was a kid - snow - and it was awesome.   Outside the entire day sledding and building ice forts in the snow that the plows pushed up.   Hot chocolate by the fireplace.   Blankets.  Flashlights.  I loved to read and play Legos as a kid, and you don't need power for that.   My dad put the food out in the garage (cold) and we'd use the grill to cook, or even the fire in the fireplace.  I can't even imagine doing that today; today I'd fire up the generator, and, sans internet and cable, we'd be back to "normal" sort of.  Wow, that actually bums me out a little; maybe I'll lie to the fam and say we're out of gasoline.  Or the power cable broke.  :)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #736 on: October 31, 2021, 04:53:38 AM »
After 36 hours!!!!

SO POWAH SO ENERGY!!!!!!

How did most survive without electricity?  We are so dependent.

Word.  I watch my stepson when the power goes out.   12 minutes and he's like "where's the internet?".   I remember having power out for three days when I was a kid - snow - and it was awesome.   Outside the entire day sledding and building ice forts in the snow that the plows pushed up.   Hot chocolate by the fireplace.   Blankets.  Flashlights.  I loved to read and play Legos as a kid, and you don't need power for that.   My dad put the food out in the garage (cold) and we'd use the grill to cook, or even the fire in the fireplace.  I can't even imagine doing that today; today I'd fire up the generator, and, sans internet and cable, we'd be back to "normal" sort of.  Wow, that actually bums me out a little; maybe I'll lie to the fam and say we're out of gasoline.  Or the power cable broke.  :)

HA!  same for me (except for the 3-day outage).  To the bolded part, our cable/modem is on one of the breakers powered by our generator, as is the downstairs TV ... so we lack for nothing.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #737 on: October 31, 2021, 05:14:13 AM »
When was that major north east power outage. 2003? lasted a few days. When it was gradually coming back on, certain streets would get their electricity back on before others.
I will never forget walking with a couple buddies around the neighbourhoods ( beers in hand. Come on,  no power no law! Lol) The streets that got their power back were quiet, everyone inside. You walked to the ones still with no power;  people outside bbqing, kids playing street hockey, biking and all that. Candles all around and just this laughter and ... life in the streets.   Very cool.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #738 on: October 31, 2021, 11:10:39 AM »
When was that major north east power outage. 2003? lasted a few days. When it was gradually coming back on, certain streets would get their electricity back on before others.
I will never forget walking with a couple buddies around the neighbourhoods ( beers in hand. Come on,  no power no law! Lol) The streets that got their power back were quiet, everyone inside. You walked to the ones still with no power;  people outside bbqing, kids playing street hockey, biking and all that. Candles all around and just this laughter and ... life in the streets.   Very cool.
The first night of the big freeze I went out walking around. Nobody, business nor household had power in my neighborhood. It was as dark as I've ever seen Dallas. The amazing thing that I discovered is that advertising never dies. No businesses had power, but the building signage was still lit up. The Doc-in-the-Box ER was closed; better hope for an ambulance. The giant 24 HOUR EMERGENCY ROOM sign on the building was lighting the entire neighborhood up. Same with Starbucks, Krispy Kreme, the taco shop, and the offices at Energy Square. Offices weren't powered. Just the sign out front. When the apocalypse comes and there's nothing left but the cockroaches, advertisers will still be reaching out to them. And mind you, I live across the street from an old folks home and an adjoining ER, neither of which had power. Old people, huddled together in the cafeteria, being lit up by the Tom Thumb sign across the street. Welcome to Texas.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #739 on: October 31, 2021, 11:14:16 AM »
3 times we've lost power for 5 days.  1st time we didn't have a generator for the 1st 3 days.  They are never fun.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #740 on: October 31, 2021, 11:27:07 AM »
I cannot remember the last time we lost power for any length of time, meaning several hours or days. I recall it happening a few times when I was a kid, but never as an adult.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #741 on: November 01, 2021, 07:01:20 AM »

There was one here in CT back in 2010 that had some houses out for 7 to 10 days.  It was a freak snow-storm on October 29th, so you had a lot of leaves and "fragile" branches that went down, taking out power lines.   A friend of a friend of mine went to the end of their driveway, took a picture in one direction down their street, and the road was completely blocked by trees.  They took a picture down the OTHER direction and the road was completely blocked by trees.   It was brutal.   Companies with power and with health facilities were opening their showers and bathrooms to employees.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #742 on: January 09, 2022, 07:44:53 AM »
So my father in law is a morning person...as in his best hours of the day are from 5am to 8am.  If he's up at that time, you're up at that time to do something for him.  He's a selfish asshole like that.

He comes over to our house at 7am on the dot every Sunday for me to balance his checkbook.  We had freezing rain last night.  Salt trucks took care of the roads overnight, but I sure as hell am not getting out of bed in the middle of the night to make sure my driveway isn't icy for him.

I went out and threw a little ice melter down early since my son was up at 5:20.   But I only used a little and didn't want to stand out there in my pajamas for 30 minutes before sunrise coating the entire driveway.  I did where he usually parks and the upper half where he would walk

Sure enough, he comes flying down the street, turns into our driveway too quickly and slides into our small stone retaining wall.  No damage at all to the stone or his car, but he has the nerve to come in and tell me that my driveway is too icy, and my wife chimes in, basically accusing me of not doing enough for him....BEFORE SUNRISE

>:(

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #743 on: January 09, 2022, 07:49:51 AM »
Oh, ffs.  That blows that your wife didn't have your back.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Grappler

« Reply #744 on: January 09, 2022, 08:00:53 AM »
She's stuck in the middle.  She knows what a jerk he can be, but he's also her dad and she doesn't want to treat him poorly. 

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #745 on: January 09, 2022, 08:02:19 AM »
She's stuck in the middle.  She knows what a jerk he can be, but he's also her dad and she doesn't want to treat him poorly.

Disagreeing with him isn't treating him poorly. If you had thrown some water on the driveway instead, I can see her defending him, but this?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #746 on: January 09, 2022, 08:12:12 AM »
That's a tough situation to be in. I don't get along with my in-laws at all, and eventually I told my wife that while I'll be cordial when they are around I would rather never see them.

I would've not taken too kindly to him getting pissed for a favor I'm doing him by balancing his checkbook.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #747 on: January 09, 2022, 08:15:55 AM »

Disagreeing with him isn't treating him poorly. If you had thrown some water on the driveway instead, I can see her defending him, but this?

The correct move the next time this happens is to set up traps all over the driveway and front yard Home Alone-style. That'll teach him.

Puns aside, that sucks, Grappler.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: January 09, 2022, 10:48:13 AM »
Nothing like expecting everyone else to accommodate your inflexibility.

Does he bring an actual checkbook, with the check register and all that? I look at my online banking and investment accounts a couple times a week. I have never once, to the best of my recollection, balanced my checkbook.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Grappler

« Reply #749 on: January 09, 2022, 11:09:20 AM »
Nothing like expecting everyone else to accommodate your inflexibility.

Does he bring an actual checkbook, with the check register and all that? I look at my online banking and investment accounts a couple times a week. I have never once, to the best of my recollection, balanced my checkbook.

Yes, he is almost 71 and still loves to write checks.  We convinced him to let us do his bills online over the last couple of years.

He had two strokes a five years ago and became unsure of himself with numbers.  So I make sure his register matches the online balance and pay whatever bills he has.  He had to file bankruptcy due to medical and credit card debt when he was in the hospital five users ago.  So that's when we took 9ver his bills to keep him from getting into trouble again.

I bought a bag of rock salt later on this morning and my driveway is bow clear and white/grey instead of a nice black.  Blah.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #750 on: January 09, 2022, 11:13:02 AM »
I wasn't trying to pick on him, if that is what it sounded like. My father was an accountant for most of him working life and still does everything with pencil and paper. You are a good SiL to help him out.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #751 on: January 09, 2022, 11:33:27 AM »
No worries.  He aggravates us because he spends more than his social security check each month.  Which is one reason we do it weekly, so we can tell him when to go to the bank and transfer more money.  It was our condition of helping him through the bankruptcy...we needed to keep an eye on his account. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #752 on: January 17, 2022, 10:55:45 AM »
14" here this morning, more coming this afternoon/tonight.  Our dogs had some fun in it, that's for sure.  I sure as hell don't know how I'd fare with this *without* a snow thrower - considering we have a 14-car driveway.  It'd be a helluva workout to do that by hand, that's for sure.  Took almost 90 minutes to do it with a snow-thrower!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #753 on: January 17, 2022, 12:41:49 PM »
14" here this morning, more coming this afternoon/tonight.  Our dogs had some fun in it, that's for sure.  I sure as hell don't know how I'd fare with this *without* a snow thrower - considering we have a 14-car driveway.  It'd be a helluva workout to do that by hand, that's for sure.  Took almost 90 minutes to do it with a snow-thrower!

Only 14 cars?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #754 on: January 17, 2022, 12:46:19 PM »

Only 14 cars?

I can barely hold 6 in my driveway and I hate snowblowing.  LOL
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #755 on: January 17, 2022, 01:40:12 PM »

Only 14 cars?

It's just a long driveway.  Would it be easier for you to envision if I told you it was 55 feet long and L-shaped?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #756 on: January 17, 2022, 02:28:33 PM »
Mine is now 800 feet long.  Come over when you're done.   

And not for nothing, but the puns and innuendos that result from snowstorms are a 12-year-old boy's wet dream.  :) :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #757 on: January 17, 2022, 02:32:29 PM »

And not for nothing, but the puns and innuendos that result from snowstorms are a 12-year-old boy's wet dream.  :) :)

Ahh, I get your drift.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #758 on: January 17, 2022, 02:45:02 PM »

For your Cessna 172 I bet.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #759 on: January 17, 2022, 02:47:34 PM »

For your Cessna 172 I bet.

Haha, that took me a minute...

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #760 on: January 17, 2022, 03:03:47 PM »

You live on a farm?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #761 on: January 17, 2022, 03:26:39 PM »

You live on a farm?

Um.... not really; I have 10 acres and the previous owner got a tax break as a farm (they cultivated mushrooms, to eat not to space out on).  We've debated doing something similar but haven't pulled the trigger.  But I'm off the road.  There are two houses in front of me on either side of my driveway as I head to the road.  There are two full working farms - with livestock - about a quarter mile north of me, just over the Mass border. 

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #762 on: January 18, 2022, 03:36:29 AM »
So damn sore this morning. 8 car driveway. Serves me right for not buying the snowblower last month.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #763 on: February 03, 2022, 02:13:23 PM »
We’re currently getting hammered with snow in Northeastern Indiana.  We’ve gotten over a foot of snow since yesterday afternoon, and it really hasn’t stopped.  Plus, we’re looking at a 50 degree temperature swing between Tuesday and tomorrow. It was 52 on Tuesday, and today’s high is 19, with over night lows dipping below zero. Work closed due to weather for the first time in 8 years.  Friday into Saturday’s over night low is supposed to be -8.  We haven’t had much snow this year, until yesterday.  I think we’re caught up now!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #764 on: February 03, 2022, 02:17:13 PM »
Yeah, a lot of the Midwest is getting it this week.  It has been snowing pretty good yesterday morning here in St Louis. Not sure the exact totals in my area, but has to be 8-10 inches at least from the looks of it.  Supposed to stop here in a bit finally and am hoping they get the roads good enough for me to back to the office tomorrow after working at home yesterday and today.  We have the option for either tomorrow, but I'd rather be at the office. I am more organized and focused there.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #765 on: February 03, 2022, 02:48:37 PM »
Yeah, a lot of the Midwest is getting it this week.  It has been snowing pretty good yesterday morning here in St Louis. Not sure the exact totals in my area, but has to be 8-10 inches at least from the looks of it.  Supposed to stop here in a bit finally and am hoping they get the roads good enough for me to back to the office tomorrow after working at home yesterday and today.  We have the option for either tomorrow, but I'd rather be at the office. I am more organized and focused there.

Kev, how much snow do you normally get in your area?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #766 on: February 03, 2022, 02:50:41 PM »

Kev, how much snow do you normally get in your area?

It varies.  Some years we will get a rough one like this, other years we will get a handful of snow events that are only a few inches give or take.  It's St Louis, so we get it all, including the 100 degree days in the summer (which I will always take over any winter weather).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #767 on: February 03, 2022, 02:54:07 PM »
Sounds like up here in NH.  We've had some light years of late with snow, though 6 years ago for a 2 month stretch we had 2 to 3 storms a week.  8 to 12 inches or better every week.  That was brutal.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #768 on: February 03, 2022, 03:15:43 PM »
I'll take snow storms over tornado scares. It was like 9-10 years ago where I swear we had a couple of springs in a row where there was a crazy storm that was close to being a tornado every week for like a month.  That shit is scary.  I was like, this isn't Oklahoma, what the hell?  :lol :lol :eek :eek

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #769 on: February 03, 2022, 03:29:40 PM »

9" here at my house. It's been a while since it's been this much accumulation. Usually it's 2-4" and that's it. I've been working from home since Wednesday as well.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind