Author Topic: SNOW!!! v. ARRRRRGGGG!!!  (Read 88987 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: SNOW!!! v. ARRRRRGGGG!!!
« Reply #630 on: February 02, 2021, 12:08:36 PM »
I bought a used Ariens five years ago for $250 bucks and it's still throwing snow like a champ. One of the best investments I've made as a home owner. I also live on a corner lot with street parking (no driveway), So I have about 200' worth of snow I have to clear that's all the shit the plows have pushed aside. It was almost 3' tall this morning and really compact from the plow. I couldn't imagine not having a snow blower.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #631 on: February 02, 2021, 12:09:54 PM »
We dodged a bullet. Woke up yesterday expecting 9 inches and got next to nothing.

And yes, snowblowers rule!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #632 on: February 02, 2021, 12:17:18 PM »
4 inches of slush  :facepalm:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #633 on: February 02, 2021, 12:45:54 PM »
Yup. tons of slush.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #634 on: February 02, 2021, 01:58:05 PM »
It was like shoveling cement  :facepalm:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #635 on: February 02, 2021, 02:12:39 PM »

15" in Milford Connecticut. Just me and my shovel this morning. Its time this old man bought a snow blower.

That was my conversation with myself about a year and a half ago.  It's still work with a snowblower, but not back-breaking.  I blew my driveway this morning (phrasing!) and felt like a good workout, then shoveled about half my deck, and felt like I needed traction.  :)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #636 on: February 02, 2021, 02:35:59 PM »
Took the plunge yesterday and bought my first snowblower.

I guarantee we won't get measurable snow for years now.

Had to find this. Finally removed the wrapping and the manual from my 'new' snowblower. Thing has sat in the garage for 2 years. Never started it before. Man, what a difference. I have a 3 car garage and a large driveway and this was nothing. The blower I bought 2 years ago is a 24 inch with a 208cc engine and serrated steel augers. Self-propelled with 6 forward speeds and 2 reverse. No way I would have been able to clear the snow with a shovel. Just tidying up and the stuff was wet cement heavy.

Biggest thing was figuring out how to not coat myself in snow with the crazy winds by me. First time was a mess. Second time I was a pro. Nice to finally dust this thing off and see if my $700 actually was worth it. It was.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #637 on: February 02, 2021, 02:54:10 PM »
It was like shoveling cement  :facepalm:

That's the 2nd worst.  The worst is when it rains, then turns to snow.  It's like shovelling wet sand.  And a snow-thrower won't "throw" that shit at all.

We didn't get jack squat here. Some mild flurries at the moment, but nothing even worth shovelling.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline romdrums

« Reply #638 on: February 02, 2021, 03:25:51 PM »
Got 10" or so in Fort Wayne from Saturday night into Sunday night.  Highest single day total since the blizzard of 2014.  We had been lucky to dodge most of the snowstorms that have come through so far, as they've either gone north into Michigan or south into Indianapolis.  This one, though, was on a direct path for us.  Looks like we've got more on the way this weekend plus a polar vortex.  I don't mind the snow, it's the cold!  I'm not looking forward to shoveling in single digit temps!

On a related note, now that my son is in kindergarten, I've come to the unfortunate realization that technology has killed the snow day.  In our district, they are now "eLearning" days, where they have to do a whole bunch of assignments on their iPads.  I was angry for my son yesterday!   :censored :censored
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #639 on: February 02, 2021, 03:50:39 PM »
Took the plunge yesterday and bought my first snowblower.

I guarantee we won't get measurable snow for years now.

Had to find this. Finally removed the wrapping and the manual from my 'new' snowblower. Thing has sat in the garage for 2 years. Never started it before. Man, what a difference. I have a 3 car garage and a large driveway and this was nothing. The blower I bought 2 years ago is a 24 inch with a 208cc engine and serrated steel augers. Self-propelled with 6 forward speeds and 2 reverse. No way I would have been able to clear the snow with a shovel. Just tidying up and the stuff was wet cement heavy.

Biggest thing was figuring out how to not coat myself in snow with the crazy winds by me. First time was a mess. Second time I was a pro. Nice to finally dust this thing off and see if my $700 actually was worth it. It was.

Yuo haven't lived until you see the wind shift, you watch the snow swirl, and that line of fresh powder that you WERE sending into the lawn reverses track right back in your face!   :) :) :)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #640 on: February 02, 2021, 03:56:00 PM »
I finally coated the inside of the chute on my snowblower with non stick cooking spray, which was amazing.  The chute didn't clog with wet, heavy snow and it all came out.  I'll do that again every time we get that kind of snow.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #641 on: February 02, 2021, 05:42:16 PM »
Just an everyday snowstorm. This all came down within about 12 hours.

aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online T-ski

« Reply #642 on: February 03, 2021, 02:38:21 PM »
Been spared so far in central WI, maybe six inches total all winter, everything has been missing us to the south. We got a snowblower in the fall of ‘19 because my old man back wasn’t taking to kindly to shoveling anymore and it was heavenly using it last winter. Haven’t needed it yet this winter although we’re expecting a storm tomorrow.

Here is me in action using it for the first time last winter...

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #643 on: February 03, 2021, 04:11:53 PM »
I haven't had to run my snow thrower either. I moved it from the back of the garage to the front about 2 months ago but as of yet, I've not even put gasoline in it. If I make it through the rest of February, I may not have to fire it up at all this winter!  :omg:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online T-ski

« Reply #644 on: February 03, 2021, 07:32:24 PM »
Picked up some gas for the snowblower since we’re expecting 6+ inches, tried to start start it and.....nothing.

Neighbor and I worked on it for a while with no luck. Damn thing is only a year old.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #645 on: February 03, 2021, 07:53:24 PM »
We got about a foot over the weekend where I am (Chicago north suburbs).  Fired up the snowblower.  Electric start, fuck yeah!  Never lets me down.

Moved a ton of snow off the driveway, the sidewalk, the neighbor's sidewalk, and the street in front of the house so we can park our cars instead of stacking them on the driveway.  Good times.  Seriously, it's such a monster machine, it's actually kinda fun to run it.

26-inch maw, two-stage, six forward speeds, two reverse, electric start, headlight.  Chicago north suburbs, you do what you gotta do.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #646 on: February 03, 2021, 07:57:14 PM »
Picked up some gas for the snowblower since we’re expecting 6+ inches, tried to start start it and.....nothing.

Neighbor and I worked on it for a while with no luck. Damn thing is only a year old.

Is this the first time you fired it up this year?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #647 on: February 03, 2021, 08:05:05 PM »

Do you know what you're looking for (serious question; I'm not busting your balls or anything).   Those engines are fairly straight forward:  gas, spark, and air.  My experience?   It's gas most of the time.  Clogged line, gummed up carburetor, vacuum/pressure in the gas tank (loosen the cap)...

Mine is two years old, and it was gummed up a bit first start this year.  I ran it on high choke for a spell (not the best for the engine) but it cleaned itself out. 

Online T-ski

« Reply #648 on: February 03, 2021, 08:35:20 PM »

Is this the first time you fired it up this year?

Yes

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #649 on: February 03, 2021, 08:38:13 PM »
Like Stadler said, it's likely gummed up carburetor.

Did you run it dry after last season? Do you use stabilizer?

I'm no expert except to say that I've paid "my guy" way too many times.

Online T-ski

« Reply #650 on: February 03, 2021, 08:38:32 PM »

Do you know what you're looking for (serious question; I'm not busting your balls or anything).   Those engines are fairly straight forward:  gas, spark, and air.  My experience?   It's gas most of the time.  Clogged line, gummed up carburetor, vacuum/pressure in the gas tank (loosen the cap)...

Mine is two years old, and it was gummed up a bit first start this year.  I ran it on high choke for a spell (not the best for the engine) but it cleaned itself out.

We were able to fire it a couple times but it died immediately. Spark plug is good, we think the primer button isn’t shooting gas into the carburetor, definitely seems like a gas flow issue.

Online T-ski

« Reply #651 on: February 03, 2021, 08:39:51 PM »

I did not run it dry (rookie mistake), and I did not use a stabilizer. The more you know, right?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #652 on: February 03, 2021, 08:55:49 PM »

I did not run it dry (rookie mistake), and I did not use a stabilizer. The more you know, right?

Get the carburetor cleaned out and you'll be fine. Look, everything I touch..breaks. I only know these things because I've lived them.

Don't buy gas in advance.

My guy put it like this.

Gas is like milk. Once you buy it, it starts to spoil. Stabilizer only retards the spoilage.
And it's that spoilage that gums up the carburetor.

Online T-ski

« Reply #653 on: February 04, 2021, 11:41:11 AM »
After a few attempts this morning the snowblower fired off!

I now expect the snowstorm to be underwhelming.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #654 on: February 08, 2021, 05:38:43 AM »
We got a foot of snow yesterday - at least this time it wasn't quite as wet as last time and I was able to use the snow blower to get rid of it.  Here's a picture my mom took

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: February 08, 2021, 07:59:18 AM »
I got another 6 inches yesterday but luckily it stopped around 5 and it was light so my blower easily handled it in under 45 minutes before the superbowl began.  I'm so done with this winter already although there's more snow expected later this week.

Online crazy climber dude

« Reply #656 on: February 10, 2021, 05:20:43 PM »

Lake Tahoe area. There's snow on the roads pretty much all winter.

We drove across Wyoming a a few summers ago,and I saw those huge ass gates they use to close the highway. I remember thinking the snow must be ridiculous for that to happen.

It's not so much for the total snow amounts (though that CAN be substantial too) as much as the drifting from the strong, typically north winds. That....or the ground blizzards they create. Sometimes you can't see but a few feet in front of you.

The snow fences help some....but not enough often times. Here's a humorous, but not far off wind sock sign for Wyoming.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #657 on: February 10, 2021, 09:44:42 PM »
First snow of the year expected in the next couple days in the Puget Sound area. Up to a few inches in place, which, in the NE may be a minor nuisance, spells doom for us here.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #658 on: February 11, 2021, 06:13:59 AM »
First snow of the year expected in the next couple days in the Puget Sound area. Up to a few inches in place, which, in the NE may be a minor nuisance, spells doom for us here.

Your post would fit Nashville as well.  We cannot drive in good weather.  So far zero measurable snow.  Our measurable snow normally occurs in March, if at all.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #659 on: February 11, 2021, 06:17:21 AM »
More snow last night into this morning.

The most annoying part for me isn't even the snow, its people calling out from work and me having to come in early as hell or do doubles  :P

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #660 on: February 11, 2021, 06:42:45 AM »
I used to work in Erie, PA, and I miss it.  I would drive up from Philly on Sunday night/Monday morning, and this time of year I would hit snow about 2/3 of the way across PA.   It would snow the entire week - fine, mist-like snow, the lake effect stuff - and on Friday night I would drive home to Philly and drive out of the snow about the same place.    Probably half the weeks I was there in the winter it was like that.   No huge accumulation, but just... there.   I loved it.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #661 on: February 11, 2021, 07:01:03 AM »

Lake Tahoe area. There's snow on the roads pretty much all winter.

We drove across Wyoming a a few summers ago,and I saw those huge ass gates they use to close the highway. I remember thinking the snow must be ridiculous for that to happen.

It's not so much for the total snow amounts (though that CAN be substantial too) as much as the drifting from the strong, typically north winds. That....or the ground blizzards they create. Sometimes you can't see but a few feet in front of you.

The snow fences help some....but not enough often times. Here's a humorous, but not far off wind sock sign for Wyoming.

Accurate.  I remember when I lived in Fort Collins, if the wind was coming down the Front Range from Wyoming, it could be really brutal. 

Where we are in Fort Wayne, the winds can be pretty nasty as well, depending on where you are in the area.  Because where I work is surrounded by farmland, if it's windy, you know it the moment you walk out the employee entrance.  I don't mind the snow, it's the cold and the wind.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #662 on: February 12, 2021, 06:19:13 PM »

Your post would fit Nashville as well.  We cannot drive in good weather.  So far zero measurable snow.  Our measurable snow normally occurs in March, if at all.

I spoke too soon.  The modules call for freezing rain,ice and then measurable snow in portions of the Southeast Sunday night and monday.  If true, it will be a cluster fxxx.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #663 on: February 12, 2021, 08:07:49 PM »
We’re dealing with a cold snap here in Minnesota right now. At night, it gets down to about -30F and warms up to about -10 by the morning commute. I’ve joked with people that “At least it can’t snow when it’s this cold!” I’ve been dead wrong on that 3 times this week. It’s snowed a 1/2 inch to an inch overnight and it just creates an ice rink on the highways and road salt doesn’t work when it’s this cold. Driving has been miserable in the morning.

Monday morning it’s supposed to be around -40. Hoping it doesn’t snow
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #664 on: February 13, 2021, 06:39:56 AM »
We need El Barto to weigh in here; his neck of the woods has been in the news for cold and I understand there MIGHT be a little snow in HIS forecast coming up.