Author Topic: Meshuggah  (Read 112738 times)

Offline juice

• om nom nom
Re: Meshuggah
« Reply #350 on: April 09, 2012, 11:24:13 PM »
Just bumping this thread to say that Koloss is awesome.   :metal

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #351 on: April 10, 2012, 01:18:41 AM »
Yep, still completely fucking badass.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #352 on: April 10, 2012, 03:02:17 PM »
I've always imagined Meshuggah as being the type of music Klingons would make.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #353 on: April 10, 2012, 03:03:58 PM »
I suppose I should give it a second chance.... I don't know, it was just very underwhelming to me, and it took a few sits to even finish it.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #354 on: April 10, 2012, 07:35:41 PM »
Do Not Look Down

Best song of the year so far.  So heavy and so very groovy.

I'm really liking Koloss quite a lot.  So far, it doesn't have the same 'exhausting' qualities that other Meshuggah albums have, wherein I like the album but I can't listen to it much because it's just... exhausting to listen to.  With Koloss, I just want to listen to it all the time.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #355 on: April 11, 2012, 05:13:16 AM »
I bought it and I have listened to seven first songs. I'm not yet very impressed, though Behind the Sun is awesome.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #356 on: April 11, 2012, 06:46:53 AM »
though Behind the Sun is awesome.

Offline adace

« Reply #357 on: May 06, 2012, 02:02:28 AM »
Just got back from seeing these guys in LA. They raped my mind with their bone crushing heaviness and I loved every minute of it. The whole band sounded extremely tight and the setlist was near perfect. Unfortunately though, I was kinda in a sucky position as there was a pillar which obstructed my view of Tomas but I still had a blast. As far as the openers go, I came too late to see Decapitated but I saw most of Baroness' set and they sounded awesome as well. Can't wait for their new album. By far the worse part of the concert was the intermission between Baroness and Meshuggah when some retard thought it would be funny to play Rod Stewart's "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?" over and over again for about 20-25 minutes. They actually started playing Avenged Sevenfold's "Scream" on the PA but they cut it off to play that awful Rod Stewart garbage. But as soon as Meshuggah took the stage, I quickly forgot about that and banged my head off. If this tour is coming your way, I highly suggest you catch it. You will not be disappointed. Overall score: 9.5/10

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #358 on: May 06, 2012, 02:57:28 PM »
Seeing them in Philly in 2 weeks! Can't wait

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #359 on: May 06, 2012, 05:00:03 PM »
Seeing them later this month, should be awesome >:3
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #360 on: May 17, 2012, 11:40:29 PM »
Just got back from seeing them live in Toronto. Holy fuck. It was pretty much amazing. The guitars may as well be knives cutting through the warm butter of my ears.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #361 on: May 18, 2012, 05:37:25 PM »
Just saw the setlist.
Without spoiling anything, IT'S FUCKING GOOD. Tomorrow night is gonna be so awesome.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Ħ

« Reply #362 on: May 18, 2012, 05:55:15 PM »
Gonna try again with Meshuggah. They have a unique sound but honestly it seems like all their songs are same. Destroy Erase Improve sometime this weekend.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #363 on: May 19, 2012, 01:46:14 AM »
Saying AGAIN that Koloss is totally awesome!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #364 on: May 19, 2012, 02:55:23 AM »
Destroy Erase Improve sometime this weekend.
DEI and CC is their worst work in my opinion. Chaosphere is okay on rare occations but Nothing and forward is where they really hit it off.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: May 19, 2012, 10:58:26 AM »
Destroy Erase Improve sometime this weekend.
DEI and CC is their worst work in my opinion. Chaosphere is okay on rare occations but Nothing and forward is where they really hit it off.

meanwhile, i disagree xD they've not done anything that touches DEI because nothing else sounds like DEI. they had a very specific fire under their asses for that record (and the None EP) that they've moved on from. their use of dynamics and clean tones is absolutely brilliant on DEI, and the lack of that approach puts giant monotony all over Chaosphere, Nothing, even ObZen (imo) – and why Catch 33 and I worked out so goddamn well. i think those dynamics are an integral part of the band's strengths, so when they drop it, even for a song, it's usually less than it could've been with more of the dynamic approach.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #366 on: May 19, 2012, 10:55:40 PM »
I definitely like some Meshuggah albums better than others, but every album has its own special charm to it. Destroy Erase Improve has more dynamics than their other albums, Chaosphere has their most interesting polyrhythms, Nothing has a really cool drone-like feel with great grooves, Catch 33 is without question their most experimental and progressive, and obZen and Koloss are pretty much everything good about Meshuggah thrown together.

Also, tonight's show was awesome. :metal

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #367 on: May 20, 2012, 07:29:57 AM »
DEI is to "trash" orientated for me, and the vocals sounds pretty weird and actually pretty bad to me.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #368 on: May 20, 2012, 10:14:02 AM »
DEI is to "trash" orientated for me, and the vocals sounds pretty weird and actually pretty bad to me.

I actually agree with this.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #369 on: May 20, 2012, 06:47:14 PM »
Definitely. It's pretty bad, and...well, it's generic. :P
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: May 20, 2012, 08:39:53 PM »
Definitely. It's pretty bad, and...well, it's generic. :P
i get that you folks don't like DEI, which doesn't perturb me at all, but your reasoning does — how is DEI generic? which bands from the same time period (or before) sound anything like DEI at all? how do the vocals sound bad when all Jens has been doing vocally since 1991 has been screaming his head off?

i definitely get why most people overlook/ignore Contradictions Collapse, as it's mostly boring Metallica ripoffery, but DEI was an enormous improvement, and has all of the traits of Catch 33-era Meshuggah except in the production (and use of backing vocals).

Offline Ħ

« Reply #371 on: May 20, 2012, 08:46:12 PM »
It's not bad, but it's nothing special.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #372 on: May 21, 2012, 01:11:21 AM »
how do the vocals sound bad when all Jens has been doing vocally since 1991 has been screaming his head off?
Because it sounds like he hadn't learned how to do it properly by DEI. The vocals on Chaosphere isn't the best either but on Nothing, 33 and obZen his vocals sound truly amazing because they're done with so much more energy.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #373 on: October 08, 2012, 04:53:59 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #374 on: October 08, 2012, 05:19:39 PM »
How do people dislike DEI?  I thought it was considered one of their best?
It's one of my favorites  ???

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #375 on: October 08, 2012, 06:15:11 PM »
I don't DISLIKE it, I'd just rank it around the bottom.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: October 08, 2012, 07:22:14 PM »

no idea. it was a real peak in their songwriting and dynamic approach. it could use re-mixing a la Nothing (imagine how "Future Breed Machine" would sound with Axe FX on the guitars!), but even with its production as is, i find it a solid and engaging listen, and less fatiguing than every album since, except Catch 33.

Offline Cable

« Reply #377 on: October 08, 2012, 07:41:59 PM »

no idea. it was a real peak in their songwriting and dynamic approach. it could use re-mixing a la Nothing (imagine how "Future Breed Machine" would sound with Axe FX on the guitars!), but even with its production as is, i find it a solid and engaging listen, and less fatiguing than every album since, except Catch 33.

I agree to an extent. I only fault it for the volume level vs. their other stuff; the guitar tone IMO is their finest. They used Line6 stuff Nothing through ObZen which I dislike.

About people not liking DEI; it was the final album of a different and old style, before they found their sound. And to me, DEI shares a lot more with with of course None EP, but even Contradictions Collapse than it being similar to Catch 33. There have been more post DEI releases now then DEI and prior releases, so there will be a lot of fans that probably started with Nothing, ObZen etc.

While I am in the Chaosphere over DEI camp, I would for sure place DEI at number 2 or 3 just for the sake  of the songwriting and dynamics you mentioned Seasonsinthesky.

And agree also; DEI is an easier front to back listen then anything after it. Although most Meshuggah songs, even DEI and None EP tracks are pretty relentless.  ;D
---

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #378 on: October 19, 2012, 03:46:35 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151289631460903.509910.169789340902&type=1

Apparently Meshuggah releases a music video for Demiurge next week. Very good song, but frong the looks of the behind the scenes shoot it'll be a live video which isn't really my thing.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #379 on: October 19, 2012, 06:01:15 PM »
I've listened to so much good music this year that Koloss, a CD that I was certain was going to be a top five one for me, might not even make the top 10. But that doesn't make it any less good, just means this has been one hell of a year. The Demon's Name Is Surveillance is still likely to win my riff of the year, though. That song CRUSHES.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #380 on: October 19, 2012, 08:06:44 PM »
I tend to agree on it making my top 10. Trust me, i love it, but there has been some great music this year. I usually try to keep a monthly top ten, and with all the GREAT music this year, it is on the verge of not making my 10. I will say, there is one album, hands down.............nothing besides BTBAM  even close that is my #1, and unless a band that i truly LOVe releases their 2nd album before year end, Mseh might fall out.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: October 24, 2012, 04:11:19 AM »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #382 on: October 25, 2012, 02:35:39 PM »
Tomas Haake in action! :metal

1:29 ? I wonder if he thought that was enough :p
Struck with a little brainfart there for a sec.  :)
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #383 on: October 25, 2012, 11:24:04 PM »

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #384 on: November 11, 2012, 02:00:25 AM »
MESHUGGAH, ANIMALS AS LEADERS, INTRONAUT NORTH AMERICAN TOUR:

Only one date confirmed so far:

Feb 24th- Mill City Nights, Minneapolis, MN

Dates coming next week!