Author Topic: Meshuggah  (Read 110933 times)

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Meshuggah
« Reply #420 on: February 05, 2013, 12:33:23 PM »
Loving the new/old song!
Old?

Technically it's an old song, since it was written and recorded in 2003.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 12:38:27 PM by Buddyhunter1 »
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #421 on: February 05, 2013, 12:50:39 PM »
Oh okay, that actually explaines the Nothing-ish vibe that I love in Pitch Black.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #422 on: February 13, 2013, 03:11:20 PM »
Apparently Kidman was sick yesterday so the band used a cardboard version of him on stage and used a vocal track instead!  :rollin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TAU_0BbXjZo
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #423 on: February 14, 2013, 01:58:05 AM »
 :metal
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #424 on: February 14, 2013, 01:51:20 PM »
any word on if the singer will be back tonight in philly?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #425 on: February 15, 2013, 08:30:46 AM »
any word on if the singer will be back tonight in philly?

All I heard was that he was going to see a doctor yesterday and hopefully be able to preform tonight. Haven't heard any more though.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #426 on: February 19, 2013, 02:18:18 PM »
Seeing Meshuggah in Toronto tonight! Second time seeing them (both since Koloss was released).

Glad Jens is back in the game

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #427 on: February 20, 2013, 02:59:10 PM »
Up until today I thought that "Imprint of the Un-Saved" from Catch 33 was actually "Imprint of the Un-Shaved".
Would have been a much better title, imo.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #428 on: February 20, 2013, 03:04:47 PM »
I FINALLY got around to listening to Koloss yesterday. HOLY SHIT. It's so fucking heavy. I don't even know how to explain the way I felt when i put it on last night.

IT MAKES ME WANT TO TYPE IN ALL CAPS ALL THE FUCKING TIME.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:26:25 PM by PuffyPat »
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #429 on: February 20, 2013, 03:45:43 PM »
I FIANNLY got around to listening to Koloss yesterday. HOLY SHIT. It's so fucking heavy. I don't even know how to explain the way I felt when i put it on last night.

I HEAR YOU AND I CAN'T AGREE MORE, CAPS ALL THE FUCKIN WAY!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #430 on: February 20, 2013, 03:58:06 PM »
I FIANNLY got around to listening to Koloss yesterday. HOLY SHIT. It's so fucking heavy. I don't even know how to explain the way I felt when i put it on last night.

I WANT TO SMASH MY HEAD IN TO A WALL. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #431 on: February 20, 2013, 04:34:23 PM »

I WANT TO SMASH MY HEAD IN TO A WALL. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.
MEEEEEEEEEEEEE TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #432 on: February 20, 2013, 09:58:31 PM »
Just remember, when you're listening to Koloss, whatever you do...

DO NOT LOOK DOOOOOOOWN  :metal

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #433 on: February 20, 2013, 11:24:33 PM »
THIS IS THE BEST THING I'VE EVER DONE. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

P.S. NOT LOOKING DOOOOOOOOOOWN.
prog sucks

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #434 on: April 04, 2013, 06:30:04 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fTYXbFsWg-M

Music video for "I Am Colossus". I must say, this music video was really cool. Very creepy and cool.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #435 on: April 04, 2013, 03:20:56 PM »
That was awesome! Definitely one of their better music videos.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #436 on: June 25, 2013, 04:19:48 PM »

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #437 on: June 26, 2013, 02:42:01 AM »
Haha awesome.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #438 on: June 26, 2013, 05:29:17 AM »
Fredrik playing "I am colosuss". So simple in a way but yet heavy as nothing else!   :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XFos-S4ArU&feature=c4-overview&list=UUo22XjBj6NkzdjALuTbPyBg

I mean the riff at 2:13 is just brutal!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: June 26, 2013, 07:29:29 PM »
I do wonder where this will end...

Will bands just keep on putting lower and lower strings on their guitars in order to be TEH HEVVY....

Having a guitar tuned two octaves down doesn't make it heavy. It's all about the rhythm.

I'm not a fan of Djent or Tech Metal or whatever you want to call it. It's just nothing to me.

Just super low guitars playing one note over and over with drums playing some deliberately awkward rhythm.

Bland Street Bloom by Sikth is a much better example of how to do it and still have groove and some semblance of tune.

Me No Like.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #440 on: June 26, 2013, 07:35:23 PM »
So don't listen to it.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: June 27, 2013, 01:48:50 AM »

Will bands just keep on putting lower and lower strings on their guitars in order to be TEH HEVVY....

Having a guitar tuned two octaves down doesn't make it heavy. It's all about the rhythm.

I'm not a fan of Djent or Tech Metal or whatever you want to call it. It's just nothing to me.

Just super low guitars playing one note over and over with drums playing some deliberately awkward rhythm.

Bland Street Bloom by Sikth is a much better example of how to do it and still have groove and some semblance of tune.

Me No Like.

Wait a second, it's all about rhythm, but you don't like drums playing 'awkward rhythms'? And still, there's no point in that entire song where there's 'super low guitars playing one note over and over'.

I guess it will end when guitars are going to sound like bass guitars. Which they do oftentimes. But that's not a bad thing, I'm sure there are bands that have no guitar player, just a bass player using effects.
So I guess it's not the sound that bugs you, it's the idea that a guitar doesn't really sound like a guitar anymore.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #442 on: June 27, 2013, 02:36:36 AM »

Rhythm actually is what "djent" music is all about so I don't understand the problem. Is it "I Am Colossus" you don't like? Because that's not my favorite Meshuggah song by far for some of the reasons you posted, but some of the rest are some of the best rythm-works I've heard.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #443 on: June 27, 2013, 03:19:45 AM »

Me No Like.
Djent....*shrugs*....! Don't treat Meshuggah like just another Djent....*shrugs*....band plz. They have nothing to do with that genre...period. It's a made up word by others that themself even say they don't affiliate with. They are their own identity and have been for more than 20 years. Think about that, they released their first EP the same year as DT released WDADU.  :)

If you call polyrythms awkward then you don't just appriciate or understand what they're doing. IMO Meshuggah's music have always been a state of mind, something that you can close your eyes to and just listen to.

Crank these up and then tell me Meshuggah's music ain't groovy:

Do Not Look Down
Marrow
Neurotica
Dancers To A Discordant System
Rational Gaze, Abnegating Cecity
Sickening
Beneath (This ain't groovy?)
Inside what's within behind

and many more.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #444 on: June 27, 2013, 03:09:22 PM »
What's wrong with "djent"? And how is Meshuggah not that? As I see it Meshuggah was the ones who started it. And what do you mean "made up word"? A word has to come from somewhere and it has clearly developed into a genre which Meshuggah is pretty much leading whether they say the don't or not. For example Dream Theater wouldn't stop being progressive metal just by saying they're not progressive metal.

Meshuggah is a djent band, not "just another djent band" because they are probably the best one but they meet all the qualifications of what djent is to me. The rhythmical complexity, and a little that typical djent distortion sound but that's not at all as important as the rhythms usually define djent for me.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: June 27, 2013, 04:23:27 PM »

Wait a second, it's all about rhythm, but you don't like drums playing 'awkward rhythms'?

I mean that broken, displaced thing that tech bands do where its never a backbeat.

I probably should have said groove instead of rhythm. with some bands it's just awkward for the sake of it and you just can't FEEL it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #446 on: June 27, 2013, 06:53:11 PM »
What's wrong with "djent"? And how is Meshuggah not that? As I see it Meshuggah was the ones who started it. And what do you mean "made up word"? A word has to come from somewhere and it has clearly developed into a genre which Meshuggah is pretty much leading whether they say the don't or not. For example Dream Theater wouldn't stop being progressive metal just by saying they're not progressive metal.

Meshuggah is a djent band, not "just another djent band" because they are probably the best one but they meet all the qualifications of what djent is to me. The rhythmical complexity, and a little that typical djent distortion sound but that's not at all as important as the rhythms usually define djent for me.
I didn't say anything was wrong with Djent but I hate that word though. Meshuggah themself have said they don't feel comfortable being called Djent because Djent bands often strives for complexity while Meshuggah wants to sound the opposite. They play their own kind of music that someone else (Periphery) labeled 10 years later by copy elements from their music. Which means it's a made up word by someone else. How can they meet up the qualifications of a genre or "movement" they didn't claim to build?

But if you really feel like it's important to categorize their music then please call them Djent if you like, it really dosen't matter.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #447 on: June 28, 2013, 03:17:44 AM »
Well, if Meshuggah wants to sound like the opposite of complex then I must say they're doing a lousy job because however you slice it, Meshuggah's music is pretty complex. And Meshuggah doesn't have to have actually come up with the word or be claiming to have started or built anything. They're just the most popular band playing that type of music, the genre doesn't stand or fall on what Meshuggah thinks or says.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #448 on: June 28, 2013, 04:02:12 AM »
Yes but they don't write complex music for the complexity. They wanted people to understand what they're playing even though it may be complex. That's why they play patterns and polyrythms over 4/4 to have a flow that most people could understand.

Anyway I get what your saying because it's easy to put them in the Djent folder because they influenced other bands which led to other people discover Meshuggah through those bands. As I said if someone would like to call them Djent then that's fine, I would more call them Extreme Metal.

Haake and Jens gives their thought on the matter:
https://youtu.be/Ry1Mm1q_FBg?t=27m22s

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: June 28, 2013, 04:05:11 AM »

Wait a second, it's all about rhythm, but you don't like drums playing 'awkward rhythms'?

I mean that broken, displaced thing that tech bands do where its never a backbeat.

I probably should have said groove instead of rhythm. with some bands it's just awkward for the sake of it and you just can't FEEL it.

Well even then, is it only possible for music to groove if it's in 4/4? Or is a groovy 7/8 possible, and then what about guitars in 7, and drums in 4? I mean, feeling music isn't at all an objective thing. There are Planet X songs in 19/16 that I find groovy, and I can certainly say that the polyrhytms in Meshuggah's music are groovy to me. Maybe it's something you have to get used to, to don't have that backbeat.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: June 29, 2013, 06:21:10 AM »
It's possible for music to groove in any time sig - just listen to Gavin Harrison on The Sound Of Muzak - but I need to find an example of what I mean as I din't think i'm explaining it very well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06Sbz_oM5sg&hd=1

^ Something like this. I just cannot get into it at all.

Meshuggah has way more groove than whatever that is...

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #451 on: June 29, 2013, 07:59:42 AM »
One thing Meshuggah does that's pretty smart is that for a lot of their songs, while the guitars are doing God knows what, the drums are actually keeping a simple 4/4 feel, except for the kick which is always in unison with the guitars. It really helps in making the songs feel much groovier and, well, musical. I love I Am Colossus, but it's a pretty bad example for the band in terms of groove.

New Millennium Cyanide Christ and Rational Gaze are good examples of what I'm talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHdFTxu5M38
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkrjE4QRsys

• DTF.org Member

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: June 29, 2013, 11:58:13 AM »
Yeah I saw that - Can't believe they used Cubase :lol

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: June 30, 2013, 04:17:45 AM »
One thing Meshuggah does that's pretty smart is that for a lot of their songs, while the guitars are doing God knows what, the drums are actually keeping a simple 4/4 feel, except for the kick which is always in unison with the guitars. It really helps in making the songs feel much groovier and, well, musical. I love I Am Colossus, but it's a pretty bad example for the band in terms of groove.

New Millennium Cyanide Christ and Rational Gaze are good examples of what I'm talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHdFTxu5M38
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkrjE4QRsys

Yeah, that's what makes them awesome. I always try to follow the snare pattern. The funny thing is that all the snare hits sound like weird syncopated rhythms over the crazy riffs, while most of the time they're just on the 2 and 4.