Author Topic: Meshuggah  (Read 110960 times)

Online faizoff

Re: Meshuggah
« Reply #525 on: October 07, 2016, 06:52:14 AM »
New album's out today and midway through the album and have to say it feels very different so far for a Meshuggah album. Will reserve judgement on it until it's sunk in. I'm getting a very different vibe on this album.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #526 on: October 07, 2016, 07:07:33 AM »
Listened to the whole thing maybe 3 or 4 times. I like listening to it but as always with Meshuggah it will probably take a long time to sink in. I've only recently begun to fully appreciate some of the Koloss songs.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #527 on: October 07, 2016, 07:29:56 AM »
I got halfway through the record on my morning commute and thoroughly enjoyed it. Will listen to the rest this afternoon.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #528 on: October 07, 2016, 07:27:12 PM »
Wow Clockworks just floored me, might be one of the most technical songs they've written. Then again I haven't heard the rest of the album yet.  :P

Jebus almighty, the verse riff in Monstrocity!!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 07:50:53 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #529 on: October 07, 2016, 07:30:39 PM »
Killer album.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #530 on: October 08, 2016, 07:20:03 AM »
Have to say the production is stellar and the live takes are probably why it sounds so organic and raw.

Clockworks, Monstrocity and Stifled stands out at the moment. Clockworks just for being a tour-de-force of epic porportions. Both Monstocity and Stifled brings the groove while still being heavy as fuck.

This album feels like a mix between the Chaosphere era and the more modern Meshuggah.

Damn i'm all over this album atm!  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #531 on: October 08, 2016, 07:24:54 AM »
I'd say By the Ton, Violent Sleep of Reason, and Our Rage Won't Die are standouts for me at the moment. Clockworks is growing on me though, and Ivory Tower is really cool too.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #532 on: October 08, 2016, 07:29:44 AM »
Yea man lots of great tracks on the album, I need to give this album the proper time to sink in.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #533 on: October 08, 2016, 07:32:14 AM »
This album is absolutely killer indeed!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #534 on: October 08, 2016, 07:47:05 AM »
Really good album, and a pretty accessible one compared to Koloss and ObZen (tried both of these in the past but never fully got into them bar a few songs).

Favorite song is definitely By the Ton so far, Ivory Tower, title-track and Into Decay are right behind it.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #535 on: October 08, 2016, 04:44:07 PM »
I can't tell if I like this or Koloss more. Needs more listens, perhaps.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #536 on: October 08, 2016, 05:28:26 PM »
Fantastic album, just initially gives off the impression to me that it's one of their best and most entertaining albums. Meshuggah songs often sound a lot alike, sometimes lacking identity. But this album seems different, like every track has its own unique approach with just enough accessible hooks, even with hints of conventional harmonies here and there. The production might be their best yet too, it sounds utterly fantastic. Love the ambient tones and heaviness. What more could I ask for, a definite highlight of 2016 for sure.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 05:36:54 PM by PixelDream »
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #537 on: October 08, 2016, 05:42:59 PM »
It's weird they don't often do "riffs" but rhythms.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #538 on: October 08, 2016, 05:54:59 PM »
I used to own Obzen and Koloss but didn't listen too often.

A friend once gave me "Nothing" on CD and I found it tedious. Almost like one riff for an hour.

They've got more interesting since.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #539 on: October 09, 2016, 03:09:02 AM »
I think their style on Nothing is my favorite, as in that's my favorite type of Meshuggah riffs. But as an album with the best songs I like ObZen the most. And I think Catch 33 has the best production.

Koloss was a bit too grainy for me. TVSoR is a step back in the right direction production wise.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #540 on: October 09, 2016, 04:48:01 AM »
Well, I really like this record. As far as Meshuggah does melodies, this one is easily their most 'melodic'. Lots of solo passages for guitars make it very interesting throughout. I'm very pleased with this record.
Squ

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #541 on: October 09, 2016, 07:22:42 AM »
Only given it one listen so far, and I'm hardly a huge Meshuggah fan, but it sounds solid. My main issue with Meshuggah is that I find the vocals monotonous and don't particularly enjoy them. For people who love that approach that's great but I think for me it just adds to the feeling that it all sounds very samey.

I'll definitely give more listens as I dig a bit of Meshuggah when I'm in the right mood. Still might try to get tickets to see them soon as I bet they destroy live.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #542 on: October 09, 2016, 07:54:19 AM »
I saw Meshuggah live around 4 yeara ago at a festival I happened to be at. I was not into them back then and it was pretty much the most boring concert I've ever been to. Everything sounded the same and, although it was very tight and all, the constant heaviness made the heaviness boring and, frankly, not really heavy at all. I would love to see them again though, because I think I would understand what they're doing a lot better now that I know their music.
Squ

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #543 on: October 09, 2016, 08:30:11 AM »
I love Meshuggah and not only their music but how they compose their music with all the rythmic layers and as a drummer I love to nerd out on rythmic patterns, I just find it satisfiying. However whenever I listen and I lose focus on what they do musically I get a bit bored. 2-3 songs in a row is basically what I prefer because then I can keep the excitment intact. I rarely listen to a whole Meshuggah album, it's more a song here and there because it's to much basically but that dosen't make the songs less interesting. I just need to be in the right mood and keep my focus.

I mean honestly the small things is what I enjoy the most about Meshuggah, for example the riff and groove that start at 0:40 in Stifled and how the riff meets the basic 4/4 that Haake plays, I LOVE stuff like that so much and I can play it over and over again. The absolutly crushing part that start at 4:14 in Clockworks is another little tiny bit, it sounds so simple but yet it's almost like I would say that's how I would imagine the most bad-ass metal band to sound like. It's so in your face and raw sounding. I mean honestly there's no other band like Meshuggah out there when you really pay attention to all the details they put into their songs and I respect their originality so much.

I would go so far to say that of all the aggressive metal music that's out there Meshuggahs music are the most aggressive sounding imo and maybe that's because they don't rely on corpspaint or being aggressive on stage, it's all in their music instead.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 10:24:53 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #544 on: October 09, 2016, 10:21:30 AM »
Mr. Boom, that totally makes sense. I could understand having a much greater appreciation and digging it more if I was coming at it from a drummers perspective.

But I also struggle, as you as a huge fan do, to listen to too much of their music in one sitting. I like you're point about them being an insanely aggressive band without relying on anything other than their music to get that across  :metal
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 10:29:19 AM by twosuitsluke »

Online faizoff

« Reply #545 on: October 09, 2016, 12:34:13 PM »
On repeated listens, love the album to death. Great riffs again, just hypnotizing at times.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #546 on: October 09, 2016, 12:36:24 PM »
The video for clockworks is really bizarre.

It's like those mental dreams you have when you're really ill.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #547 on: October 09, 2016, 02:18:44 PM »
I went for a run today with this album blasting through my earbuds, and as I was nearing the end, the outro to Stifled was playing. It was transcendental to me. Rivals the outro of Straws Pulled at Random.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #548 on: October 09, 2016, 02:26:49 PM »
dudes I'm pissed because I can never understand the appeal of these guys but maybe I'm starting in the wrong place, are any of their albums a particularly good place to start

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #549 on: October 09, 2016, 02:39:19 PM »
dudes I'm pissed because I can never understand the appeal of these guys but maybe I'm starting in the wrong place, are any of their albums a particularly good place to start

Probably their new album if you ask me. You have to enjoy insanely complex and heavy music, that's for sure. Just don't make the vocals your focal point of listening. The vocals are cool, but the syncopation of the drums and guitars is what it's all about.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #550 on: October 09, 2016, 02:39:19 PM »
Yes. Try ObZen.

Or the latest record.
Squ

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #551 on: October 09, 2016, 02:41:14 PM »

I think I started with Catch 33 when I picked it up about 10 years ago, dirt cheap. I like that album but some parts of it are VERY repetitive. I think Obzen could be a good place to start but again, I'm hardly a huge fan. Others could probably help you out more than me.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #552 on: October 09, 2016, 02:44:25 PM »
I would also say ObZen is the best place to start.

The video for clockworks is really bizarre.

It's like those mental dreams you have when you're really ill.

I think the video is cool, but it doesn't seem like a music video. If it was a lyrics video, it might have been like the coolest lyric video ever made. But as a full on music video, it didn't really do much for me.

Online faizoff

« Reply #553 on: October 09, 2016, 04:20:43 PM »
For me it was obZen that made me love these guys. Prior to that I had heard some of their stuff but never liked it and couldn't enjoy it at all. Several tracks on obZen I feel are accessible while still retaining their signature polyrhythmic riffs. Once their style stuck with me, I went again and listened to their backlog and was able to really enjoy it. I'm a huge fan of them now though don't listen much to stuff older than Nothing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #554 on: October 09, 2016, 04:25:25 PM »
will check out obzen then  :lol
Only listened to nothing before but it bored me

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #555 on: October 10, 2016, 03:50:49 AM »
It was Nothing that drew me in and it's Catch 33 that's my favorite. The repetitiveness and monotony puts me in a kind of trance when listening to it. And Bleed from ObZen might be the heaviest piece of music in my collection.

Haven't heard the new one yet but will give it a try.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #556 on: October 10, 2016, 03:53:17 AM »
Yeah I have no problem listening to an entire Meshuggah album. Especially Nothing, Catch 33, and ObZen.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #557 on: October 10, 2016, 03:55:46 AM »
Again it's the subtle things, just noticed the guitar chords he picks during the chorus in Clockworks.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #558 on: October 10, 2016, 04:08:06 AM »
I saw Meshuggah live around 4 yeara ago at a festival I happened to be at. I was not into them back then and it was pretty much the most boring concert I've ever been to. Everything sounded the same and, although it was very tight and all, the constant heaviness made the heaviness boring and, frankly, not really heavy at all. I would love to see them again though, because I think I would understand what they're doing a lot better now that I know their music.
Ha, I remember that. Distortion Eindhoven, right?

I have to say, I've also been listening to this band recently. I started out with Catch33, and I'm pretty intrigued by it. I also liked ObZen but I haven't really listened to their other albums. This really is music I have to be in the mood for though.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #559 on: October 10, 2016, 04:09:48 AM »
Ha, I remember that. Distortion Eindhoven, right?

Yes! You were there too :)
Squ