Author Topic: The Rush 2010 Time Machine tour thread (Possible spoilers included)  (Read 55774 times)

Offline contest_sanity

Re: The Rush 2010 Time Machine tour thread (Possible spoilers included)
« Reply #210 on: July 10, 2010, 02:37:59 PM »
Booo, we could have met up there!  Unless I have a serious test on Thursday, I'm not missing that Rush show.
Man, that sucks!  It would be cool to meet someone from DTF, but, as previously indicated, it ain't gonna happen.  Are you going to drive down or sky dive?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #211 on: July 10, 2010, 04:46:10 PM »
Ok ok, that´s great to know (yeah, I´m somewhat of a concert noob, this will be my first concert ever also  :eek)

Thanks  ;D

Unfortunately, if you want a shirt it's going to be $35 minimum. (Long gone are the days where I would get a least one of each design that I liked, now I'm lucky if I get one shirt per show. Even the bootleg shirts are $25 now!).

Enjoy the show!

I can't even imagine how much a Rush show these days will deliver to the uninitiated.

As far as Working Man goes, I understand why they do it. It's relatively easy on Geddy when compared to some of the other songs on the first album. It's also the touchstone that led to their initial success.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: July 10, 2010, 06:11:02 PM »
Booo, we could have met up there!  Unless I have a serious test on Thursday, I'm not missing that Rush show.
Man, that sucks!  It would be cool to meet someone from DTF, but, as previously indicated, it ain't gonna happen.  Are you going to drive down or sky dive?

Skydiving, duh.  That would be like asking you if you would have gone to the show on a giant murderous squid or not.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #213 on: July 10, 2010, 07:10:21 PM »
:lol
DEATHSQUID is a huge Rush fan.  He was pissed, though, that they're not playing "Jacob's Ladder."  I think he vanquished a few extra sailors at work the day he heard the setlist.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: July 10, 2010, 07:29:29 PM »
If they were pirates then I'll sew an octopus into my uniform in his honor.  Of course no one will know whether I did or not, but still.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #215 on: July 10, 2010, 07:44:08 PM »
I know he's slain his fair share of pirates through the years, so go ahead.

Online The Letter M

ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #217 on: July 12, 2010, 09:23:52 AM »
https://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/2483106,rush-fan-sues-canceled-chicago-show-070910.article

-Marc.

I heard about that the other day.  The guy has been posting his case all over both major Rush forums.  It sucks that the concert got canceled at the last minute, but it sounds like the guy is throwing a hissy fit.  Like it or not, it does say on the back of the ticket: EVENT DATE SUBJECT TO CHANGE.  There is talk that the concert will be rescheduled for September.  If so, he is probably SOOL.  It was his choice to travel across the country for a concert.  Like I said, it sucks, but, well, stuff happens. :p

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #218 on: July 12, 2010, 09:28:22 AM »
HOLY SHIT!!!!!
Best show I've ever seen!

Oh god...it was amazing.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #219 on: July 16, 2010, 11:36:33 PM »
HOLY SHIT!!!!!

Oh god...it was amazing.

How amazing was it?

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #220 on: July 17, 2010, 10:59:31 AM »
HOLY SHIT!!!!!

Oh god...it was amazing.

How amazing was it?

Well, it was the best show I've ever seen, so if that's any indication...
Pretty much every song was amazing. They hit the nail on the head with every song I was feeling less excited about (Stick it Out, Working Man, etc), and Moving Pictures was phenomenal.
Also, the opening and closing videos are pretty much the best things ever.

I think, personally, the weakest song was The Camera Eye. It was still great to see live, but I sensed a bit of an energy drop in the crowd.
Granted they got it right back at the beginning of Witch Hunt, so its all good.

But yeah, amazing.

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #221 on: July 17, 2010, 12:49:58 PM »
4 days.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #222 on: July 17, 2010, 05:53:38 PM »
I have 7 days until my show (Jones Beach, Long Island)

So pumped! :metal
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #223 on: July 17, 2010, 08:01:03 PM »
63 days :(

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: July 17, 2010, 11:55:01 PM »
21 days.  :-\

It's getting closer though.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #225 on: July 19, 2010, 11:19:59 PM »
Absolutely brilliant.

Wow.... speechless.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #226 on: July 19, 2010, 11:22:07 PM »
just got back home. really awesome show

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #227 on: July 20, 2010, 07:45:36 PM »
So those that have already been to shows so far.. What are the shirts like for the tour? Any pics? Trying to decide which shirt to get.

EDIT: Looked at their site. I'll probably go with the steampunk one.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #228 on: July 20, 2010, 07:52:10 PM »
So those that have already been to shows so far.. What are the shirts like for the tour? Any pics? Trying to decide which shirt to get.

EDIT: Looked at their site. I'll probably go with the steampunk one.

Thats the one I got. Great selection for this tour.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #229 on: July 20, 2010, 08:00:56 PM »
Yeah the shirts this tour are awesome.
This is the one I got (it also has the tour dates on the back)

Direct link since the img above doesnt seem to be working: https://yfrog.com/5820100720215636j

Also, I bought the poster and it was sticky on one of the edges from (what appears to be) the coating used to make the poster shiny... anyways, it stuck together and ripped my poster when I was unraveling it.  :angry:

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #230 on: July 20, 2010, 08:03:59 PM »

This is the one I got.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #231 on: July 20, 2010, 08:16:13 PM »
sticky on one of the edges

Are you sure it wasn't Geddy Lee's man juice?
space cadet, pull out.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #232 on: July 20, 2010, 08:16:59 PM »

This is the one I got.

Since I'm a fat, I bought the same shirt online and I'll wear it when I see them in Sept.

I can't wait to get the tourbook.  I've bought one since the GUP tour when I saw them for the first time.  I love reading it the next day.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #233 on: July 20, 2010, 08:20:21 PM »
sticky on one of the edges

Are you sure it wasn't Geddy Lee's man juice?

At first I thought it was my man juice, but then I remember my penis had not been near the poster (yet).

And Kings, you're gonna LOVE this tour book. Won't spoil it for you, but I was grinning ear to ear when I was reading it during the intermission last night.  :tup

Also, let me just say that La Villa was fucking EPIC! I was rocking out so hard. Had no idea they were gonna play that, but was so happy. Same with Marathon. Those two songs made the night for me... its like Natural Science and Between the Wheels from the SNA tour.  :coolio

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: July 20, 2010, 08:22:20 PM »
They do the white, house lights durring the end of Marathon, Z?  I just love Alex playing over the chorus of voices.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #235 on: July 20, 2010, 08:25:55 PM »
Pretty sure they did. I normally don't pay attention to band's light/pyro shows, but I have to say I was really impressed with Rush's last night.  :tup

And I have mixed feelings about the set. The uncommon songs really did kill the energy. Infact, I think maybe only 25% of the venue clapped for Faithless after they played it. It was the dullest reaction to a song I've ever heard from any concert.  But I'm glad I got to see those songs, because it made ME happy, even if most of the audience didn't care these rarities were being pulled out.  ;)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: July 20, 2010, 08:28:54 PM »
It makes me mad because I want to see Faithless.  The other 9,000 morons go to see the "Greatest hits" while I'd like to hear the songs never played.  That's what happens to older bands that see want to be relevant and play newer songs.  It's a shame.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #237 on: July 20, 2010, 08:38:49 PM »
It really is. I think Faithless got even less fanfare because 1) it's unknown... so the people going for the greatest hits show have never heard of it. 2) it's new Rush, so the older fans that are closed off to anything made after Signals automatically write it off. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Faithless, but I'm grateful to hear any Rush song that I have not yet heard live.  :tup

Trying to think if there was anything else I wanna say... the show was excellent. In terms of screws up, I caught a couple. One of the keyboard lines/solos for (I think) Marathon was muted, or atleast turned way down, so I couldn't hear it. The other was Neil actually came in LATE for once.  :lol Forgot what song it was, but it was later in the show. It caused them to stumble a little bit, but this is Rush we are talking about, so obviously they recovered quite quickly and effortlessly. ;)

Caravan. Holy shit. Powerhouse live. The Camera Eye was shortened a little bit (I think they took the part with the samples out). Leave That Thing Alone was unexpected and quite funky. It took me a minute to figure out what was being played, because I always mix LTTA and WMT? up... it didn't help that they had lights flashing dice across the stage.  :lol

The set seemed really short to me, even though they probably played around 3 hours like usual. I couldn't believe how quickly intermission came. But I guess it's a good thing when you're so engrossed in the music that it flashes by so quickly... ok I'm rambling now I think it's time to hit "Post".  :P

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #238 on: July 20, 2010, 08:40:06 PM »
It makes me mad because I want to see Faithless.  The other 9,000 morons go to see the "Greatest hits" while I'd like to hear the songs never played.  That's what happens to older bands that see want to be relevant and play newer songs.  It's a shame.

Yeah, it bothers me a lot when people are super cynical about what the band plays.
I was having a discussion with someone I know about Iron Maiden's set for this tour, and they remarked that Iron Maiden playing all the new stuff was "pathetic and proved that they're tired old men, who want to play these shitty new songs when everyone just wants the classics."
Fuck. If you want to hear just the hits, put on the fucking radio. Let the real fans enjoy the treats the bands will give to the crowd at live shows.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #239 on: July 20, 2010, 10:01:21 PM »
Eh, you guys are painting with an awfully broad brush here.  I wouldn't assume that anyone who is bored with "Faithless" is automatically someone who only wants the greatest hits. 

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: July 20, 2010, 10:03:25 PM »
It makes me mad because I want to see Faithless.  The other 9,000 morons go to see the "Greatest hits" while I'd like to hear the songs never played.  That's what happens to older bands that see want to be relevant and play newer songs.  It's a shame.

Yeah, it bothers me a lot when people are super cynical about what the band plays.
I was having a discussion with someone I know about Iron Maiden's set for this tour, and they remarked that Iron Maiden playing all the new stuff was "pathetic and proved that they're tired old men, who want to play these shitty new songs when everyone just wants the classics."
Fuck. If you want to hear just the hits, put on the fucking radio. Let the real fans enjoy the treats the bands will give to the crowd at live shows.

If anything, the "tired old men" argument would apply only if they were touring nothing but the classics all the time.  If anything, it proves that they are still relevant, and that their real fans know that there are plenty of great songs from the past three albums.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: July 21, 2010, 08:05:57 AM »
Eh, you guys are painting with an awfully broad brush here.  I wouldn't assume that anyone who is bored with "Faithless" is automatically someone who only wants the greatest hits. 

I beg to differ Kev. Yes, some avid Rush fans don't want to hear it.  But the majority there want to see the hits and that's why album or new cuts fall flat.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #242 on: July 21, 2010, 04:12:16 PM »

I beg to differ Kev. Yes, some avid Rush fans don't want to hear it.  But the majority there want to see the hits and that's why album or new cuts fall flat.

I think you're underestimating the size of Rush's cult following.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: July 21, 2010, 04:21:44 PM »

I think you're underestimating the size of Rush's cult following.
Summer gigs for older bands pull out the average fans. I've seen Rush 26 times and I'm well aware of the cult following, but most cult fans want to see Rush do rarities not the same songs since we've seen them many times. ;D

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #244 on: July 21, 2010, 06:34:22 PM »
It makes me mad because I want to see Faithless.  The other 9,000 morons go to see the "Greatest hits" while I'd like to hear the songs never played.  That's what happens to older bands that see want to be relevant and play newer songs.  It's a shame.

If anything, the "tired old men" argument would apply only if they were touring nothing but the classics all the time.  If anything, it proves that they are still relevant, and that their real fans know that there are plenty of great songs from the past three albums.

Yeah, I would hardly call these guys "real Iron Maiden fans", so I don't take what they said seriously in any way, but it does fry me when someone questions the relevance of a band by their decision to break away from their hits and try to play what they want. Instead you get a lot of grouchy people saying I only knew 3 songs in the first set! (which is how it was at the Rush concert. Some old man came up to me and was like "What happened to Rush? They played all this strange shit...I only knew three songs in that first set!!!")