Author Topic: The Rush 2010 Time Machine tour thread (Possible spoilers included)  (Read 55547 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Rush 2010 Time Machine tour thread (Possible spoilers included)
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2010, 08:27:54 PM »
Very good setlist---however I can't imagine they won't play one song from Vapor Trails.  That record holds a special place for the guys as Neil's "comeback" album.

Hmmm, Freeze would be nice to hear.

Honestly, I think if anything else was gonna be played from VT, aside from the five that have been played, it would have been played by now.  The band has even said that some of the songs are unplayable live (because of how layered they ended up being in the studio), so if anything else is gonna be played from it, it is most likely gonna be one of the five they have already played.  "Earthshine" would be my pick, and, as I have said before, I am praying they put "One Little Victory" to sleep for good.  That being the first encore was the only stain on an otherwise stellar set list on the S&A tour.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2010, 08:33:27 PM »
Very good setlist---however I can't imagine they won't play one song from Vapor Trails.  That record holds a special place for the guys as Neil's "comeback" album.

Hmmm, Freeze would be nice to hear.

Honestly, I think if anything else was gonna be played from VT, aside from the five that have been played, it would have been played by now.  The band has even said that some of the songs are unplayable live (because of how layered they ended up being in the studio), so if anything else is gonna be played from it, it is most likely gonna be one of the five they have already played.  "Earthshine" would be my pick, and, as I have said before, I am praying they put "One Little Victory" to sleep for good.  That being the first encore was the only stain on an otherwise stellar set list on the S&A tour.

I'd loo see the double neck come out for the title song.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2010, 04:21:09 PM »
As much as I'm pumped for Jacob's Ladder to be played, I don't like its place in the encore. It's too dragging of a song to put at such a critical point of the show as the encore. I know people will remember it because of its significance, but why not put it in the middle of one of the sets, so the encore doesnt get the energy drained out of it?
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2010, 08:16:50 PM »
As much as I'm pumped for Jacob's Ladder to be played, I don't like its place in the encore. It's too dragging of a song to put at such a critical point of the show as the encore. I know people will remember it because of its significance, but why not put it in the middle of one of the sets, so the encore doesnt get the energy drained out of it?
It would do well as the last song of the encore, IMO.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2010, 08:23:51 PM »
It would do well as the last song of the encore, IMO.

I disagree, a slow paced song like JL shouldn't even be near the encore. It should be in the middle of the set. But I can't really complain, we're lucky enough to even be getting it at all.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2010, 08:26:13 PM »
I think a slow-paced song can be a great closer -- depends on the song, I guess.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2010, 08:33:26 PM »
I think a slow-paced song can be a great closer -- depends on the song, I guess.

Jacob's Ladder isn't just slow, its plodding. Something like that would kill the end of the show. As opposed to having say, Resist in the encore, which is still a slow-ish song, but its mood befits the encore slot better.

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2010, 08:36:24 PM »

Jacob's Ladder isn't just slow, its plodding. Something like that would kill the end of the show. As opposed to having say, Resist in the encore, which is still a slow-ish song, but its mood befits the encore slot better.
Maybe I'm just a little weird, then.  I've always thought SDV would be a great encore at a DT show too.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2010, 08:55:38 PM »

Maybe I'm just a little weird, then.  I've always thought SDV would be a great encore at a DT show too.

I'd certainly agree with that, SDV would be a most excellent ending to ANY show. Something about Jacob's Ladder just doesn't scream encore to me.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2010, 03:45:26 PM »
I am surprised no one commented on the fact that Moving Pictures is broken up by the intermission. The whole point of of playing an album in its entirety is to hear it straight through without any interruptions (maybe a moment where a song is introduced)...

And I would hope to get the "A" setlist if it is a straight A/B rotation...

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2010, 04:09:22 PM »
You forget that when a lot of people first heard Moving Pictures it was with an intermission. It's called Side A and Side B, and I'd be happy if they did it that way.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2010, 04:49:15 PM »
I am surprised no one commented on the fact that Moving Pictures is broken up by the intermission. The whole point of of playing an album in its entirety is to hear it straight through without any interruptions (maybe a moment where a song is introduced)...

I disagree.  I think finishing Set 1 with Side 1 and then starting Set 2 with Side 2 is the way for Rush to go with this.

Also, did anyone else see the CBC interview Geddy and Alex did last week?  When asked a question about what songs he likes playing live that Alex doesn't, Geddy mentioned one they had been rehearsing for this summer, but Alex laughingly corrected him and said it is Neil who doesn't like playing it.  The song is "Stick It Out."  So, we now know that it is at least being strongly considered, so it stands a good chance of being played.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2010, 05:17:30 PM »
You forget that when a lot of people first heard Moving Pictures it was with an intermission. It's called Side A and Side B, and I'd be happy if they did it that way.

These kids are lucky they didn't have 8-tracks like I did for some albums like Hemispheres where the song itself clicks to a different track.  Oh the memories.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2010, 06:57:12 PM »
Yeah, I remember that interview Kev.  Problem is, Neil isn't big on playing it, and they've said that everyone needs to be happy in a 3-piece band, so I wouldn't count on seeing "Stick it Out."  Its a good song, but hopefully they'll replace it with something else from CP, like "Leave That Thing Alone," "Animate," "Cold Fire," "Cut to the Chase," "Nobody's Hero," or "Everyday Glory."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2010, 07:15:09 PM »
True, they all need to be happy, but I remember from years ago that they agreed that all three get I think two songs per tour that they can pick that the other cannot reject, so assuming they still do that, that could be one of Geddy's "cannot reject" songs, so to speak.  Not that any of them are gonna force the others to play a song that they dislike, but they all still get along so well, my guess is none of them mind making concessions and playing a song or two they may not like that much, if one of the others really likes it and wants to play it. 

I find the rumored set list I originally posted interesting in the respect of the CP songs, as "Stick It Out" is a song that Peart apparently doesn't like, but he loves "Cold Fire" a lot more than the others apparently do, so those two rotating would make sense.  Given the seven MP songs, the songs they have to play, the new songs, and some of the other mainstays, they might not be able to afford all three getting their two "cannot reject" songs per night, so rotating them might be something they might do. 

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2010, 08:20:32 PM »
Do you have a link to where they revealed that?  I think it would be a cool read.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2010, 08:34:25 PM »
I do not.  I remember them talking about it during a radio interview back in the 90s (I think before TfE was released), back when they did those Rockline interviews before every album release.  I cannot imagine why they would have stopped doing that, but I cannot remember the last time they actually mentioned it.   

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2010, 02:06:52 PM »

That retort made me  :lol  ... Seriously, do you really consider the point of flipping a piece of wax an intermission?

In any event, I would have to disagree and I would think it is stupid to split the album with the intermission...

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2010, 02:14:39 PM »
I dont really think the intermission is going to bother me.
People who are paying attention are going to know the second half is coming after the break, its not like people are going to flip out thinking like "WHAT! HOW DARE THEY TAKE A BREAK NOW!"
Well, maybe a few people will, but the split in the middle of Moving Pictures would not bother me.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2010, 02:18:39 PM »
Well, maybe a few people will, but the split in the middle of Moving Pictures would not bother me.

This.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2010, 04:07:09 PM »
The Camera Eye is a fantastic way to start the second set.  It has a great build up and I cant wait to see the video intermision leading to the song.  Where's that Camera!!!

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2010, 07:47:49 PM »
Anyone going to Jiffy Lube Live on 9/18?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2010, 04:30:38 PM »
I think it is necessary to have a separate tour thread, that way, anyone who doesn't want to know the set list ahead of time for the tour, won't have it spoiled by reading the "regular" Rush thread.  Make sense?

Anyway, we all know that they are playing all of Moving Pictures, Alex Lifeson said a while back that they were probably gonna bring back "Jacob's Ladder," Lifeson and Geddy Lee both indicated that it was probably time to bring "Closer to the Heart" back, and Lee and Lifeson both said in a recent interview that "Stick It Out" is a song that they have been dabbling with in rehearsals, but that Peart wasn't liking it, so who knows what will happen with that one.

Also, "The Body Electric" was recently added to the radio station on the Rush website, so you have to wonder if that is coming back, too.

Lastly, someone at the CP forum has claimed to be friends with someone in the lighting department, and that person recently emailed him a working set list the band has been toiling with, which looked like this (the a/b thing would seem to mean songs they would rotate from night to night):

1. 2112
2. Freewill
3. The Analog Kid
4. Big Money
5. Time Stand Still
6. A.Passage to Bangkok/B.Circumstances
7. Workin’ Them Angels
8. A.Show Don’t Tell/B. Subdivisions
9. Closer To The Heart
10. Tom Sawyer
11. Red Barchetta
12. YYZ
13. Limelight

Intermission

1. The Camera Eye
2. Witch Hunt
3. Vital Signs
4. Caravan
5. BU2B
6. A.The Enemy Within/ B. The Body Electric
7. A.Stick It Out/B. Cold Fire
8. A.Middletown Dreams/B. Marathon
9. Malignant Narcissism
10. Drum Solo
11. Hope/Broon's Bane
12. The Trees
13. Xanadu
14. Prelude: Hemispheres
15. The Spirit of Radio

Encore
1. Far Cry
2. Jacobs Ladder
3. Fly By Night/In The Mood

Looking it over, that looks like a set list I could see them doing. 

Yes, it seems almost plausible but I think they will only have two...maybe three slots where they will alternate. (They still might still be arguing about the others).

Looks like they're going with the Xanadu/Prelude medley from the Counterparts tour.   I LOVE that version of Xanadu. It feels like the venue is going to liftoff (indoors...I haven't heard this version outdoors).

Interestingly The Moving Pictures Tour began with Overture and The Temples of Syrinx and included Prelude.

I have to say that Fly By Night/In The Mood is a major surprise. Maybe it will work since it's been 20 years since they played In The Mood and 30 years since the Fly By Night/In The Mood medley was road-tested.  I can't say I'm all that excited to see it.

I'd LOVE to hear anything in the 6 to 8 slot in the second set except for Stick It Out and I never get tired of Subdivisions it seems. Witch Hunt and Vital Signs will be cool as well. I can't wait to see those film shorts too. I REALLY hope that sick jam stays at the end of Closer To The Heart from the Test For Echo Tour

I'm not entirely convinced this is the set, but it's plausible that could be a rough draft that will be cut. Maybe they left room for extras if they get bored playing something, they can plug one of those extras in.

I guess I'm glad I stuck with two shows.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2010, 11:15:39 PM »
If "Xanadu" comes back, I hope they play the first two minutes, instead of basically bypassing it like they did on the R30 tour.

While I would get the significance of playing "2112" first, like on the MP tour, this being a tour of outdoor shows, that is a "dark" song, and playing it when it is still light outside just wouldn't seem right.

Looking over that set list again, it is too long.  No way are they doing 31 songs a night.  They did 27 on the last tour, and I don't see them suddenly making their shows that much longer again. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2010, 06:48:01 AM »
In that case Kev I think this is what should be cut...

1. 2112
2. Freewill
3. The Analog Kid
4. Big Money
5. Time Stand Still
6. A.Passage to Bangkok/B.Circumstances
7. Workin’ Them Angels
8. A.Show Don’t Tell/B. Subdivisions
9. Closer To The Heart
10. Tom Sawyer
11. Red Barchetta
12. YYZ
13. Limelight

Intermission

1. The Camera Eye
2. Witch Hunt
3. Vital Signs
4. Caravan
5. BU2B
6. A.The Enemy Within/ B. The Body Electric
7. A.Stick It Out/B. Cold Fire
8. A.Middletown Dreams/B. Marathon
9. Malignant Narcissism
10. Drum Solo
11. Hope/Broon's Bane
12. The Trees
13. Xanadu
14. Prelude: Hemispheres
15. The Spirit of Radio

Encore
1. Far Cry
2. Jacobs Ladder
3. Fly By Night/In The Mood 
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2010, 09:25:49 AM »
Yeah, that setlist needs to come to the UK
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2010, 01:21:12 PM »
I strongly disagree with any set list change that takes "Freewill" out of it.  That should be a "no questions asked, every tour song," and like I have said for years, I would love to seem them one day play it as their final encore.  I think it would be a great way to close a show.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2010, 02:01:49 PM »
I strongly disagree with any set list change that takes "Freewill" out of it.  That should be a "no questions asked, every tour song," and like I have said for years, I would love to seem them one day play it as their final encore.  I think it would be a great way to close a show.

Kev, as great as a song it is. I've seen it too many times and wuld like to see something different.  IMO.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2010, 03:20:39 PM »
Agreed with Kev, Freewill is one of Rush's best songs.  It need to be on rotation this tour.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2010, 06:08:18 PM »
I mean this in the nicest way possible, but honestly, I think peeps can sometimes can get caught up in wanting to hear and see something different, just for the sake of something different, at the expense of reliable classics.  If I had a penny for every time I read someone online say they wish they would never see "Tom Sawyer" again live, I wouldn't have to work ever again, but I cannot imagine a Rush concert without hearing that song.  Crowds always go nuts for stuff like "Tom Sawyer" and "Freewill," and they are great songs (in the studio AND live), so they can keep playing them forever and this fan will never have a problem with it. :)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2010, 06:20:03 PM »
I think Tom Sawyer and The Spirit of Radio are the only two songs that HAVE to be played. They get the biggest reaction by far of any songs.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2010, 07:25:24 PM »

This. Some songs just can't be taken out, "Freewill" is one of them.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2010, 07:58:45 PM »
Kev, when you've seen a band 26 times, you'd like them to drop a song you've seen them play every time but one tour.  Freewill is that song.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »
Anyone going to Jiffy Lube Live on 9/18?

I'm probably going to that show, or the one in Pittsburgh 9/16.  D.C. is about 4 hours away, Pittsburgh is 5 hours, and those are the two closest shows to me.  Depends if I can find someone to go see Rush with me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2010, 08:17:18 PM »
I think Tom Sawyer and The Spirit of Radio are the only two songs that HAVE to be played. They get the biggest reaction by far of any songs.

Along with "2112," I would agree, but the ending of the guitar solo (or band solo, as that might be more accurate) in "Freewill" always gets a huge applause.  Go listen to any live version and listen to the huge cheer as soon as Lerxst transitions from the solo back into the main melody.

Kev, when you've seen a band 26 times, you'd like them to drop a song you've seen them play every time but one tour.  Freewill is that song.

Actually, since I started seeing Rush (on the RtB tour), it was gotten the every other tour treatment:

RtB tour: played
CP tour: not played
TfE tour: played
VT tour: played only sporadically
R30 tour: not played
S&A tour: played

So, out of the 9 times I have seen them, I have only gotten "Freewill" 6 times. ;) :biggrin: