Author Topic: The Rush 2010 Time Machine tour thread (Possible spoilers included)  (Read 55544 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Rush 2010 Time Machine tour thread (Possible spoilers included)
« Reply #175 on: July 05, 2010, 07:52:39 PM »
Ninja exercised his right to be condescending, and I have the right to start a thread for something specific if I deem it necessary. Someone posting the link to this thread in mine is unnecessary, imo. If a mod or admin wants to say, hey tick, lets keep it all in one Rush thread, and decides to lock it, you wont hear a word from me.
The word is "sarcastic," not "condescending."  :)

And I posted the link because lots of people post threads not realizing there are other threads dedicated to the subject.  I felt it was appropriate to post the link there.  Those kind of posts happen all the time, because threads like that get started all the time, just like how every DT thread dissolves into a Moorefest.  If the mods don't feel like merging threads, a-okay!

Having explained my actions, I sure am excited to see Rush live.  I am still baffled at the decision to bring "Faithless" out, as I would have preferred "Bravest Face" if anything, but its still a good song and this is a great tour to see them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #176 on: July 05, 2010, 08:34:29 PM »
Honestly, if they wanted to play "Faithless," my feeling is they should have played it on the 2nd leg of the S&A tour.  They could have swapped out "The Larger Bowl" or "Spindrift" for it and everything would have worked.  But then again, I am sure most of us figured on three or four S&A songs this tour, and the inclusion of "Faithless" still only makes it three, but I am sure most of us also figured "Malignant Narcissism" was a gimme.  Shows how much we know. :lol

Anyway, regardless the silly stuff between all of us earlier today, it's all good. :hat

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #177 on: July 05, 2010, 08:59:42 PM »
Ninja exercised his right to be condescending, and I have the right to start a thread for something specific if I deem it necessary. Someone posting the link to this thread in mine is unnecessary, imo. If a mod or admin wants to say, hey tick, lets keep it all in one Rush thread, and decides to lock it, you wont hear a word from me.
The word is "sarcastic," not "condescending."  :)

And I posted the link because lots of people post threads not realizing there are other threads dedicated to the subject.  I felt it was appropriate to post the link there.  Those kind of posts happen all the time, because threads like that get started all the time, just like how every DT thread dissolves into a Moorefest.  If the mods don't feel like merging threads, a-okay!

Having explained my actions, I sure am excited to see Rush live.  I am still baffled at the decision to bring "Faithless" out, as I would have preferred "Bravest Face" if anything, but its still a good song and this is a great tour to see them.
For the record, condescending worked as well as sarcastic, but whatever. We will move away from that.
On to the topic of Rush and Faithless. Its not a bad song, but I am not sure it will translate well live. I just think it might be boring and forgettable. Time(machine)will tell, and I hope I'm wrong. I think the track that puzzles me most is the return of Working Them Angels. I just didn't expect it to be on this set list. Its is a good song, but it didn't blow me away live. All in all though I am thrilled with the set list, and especially with the inclusion of Presto!
This is going to be a great tour, and I think it will greatly please all fans from the diehard to the most casual.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #178 on: July 05, 2010, 09:01:43 PM »
Honestly, if they wanted to play "Faithless," my feeling is they should have played it on the 2nd leg of the S&A tour.  They could have swapped out "The Larger Bowl" or "Spindrift" for it and everything would have worked.  But then again, I am sure most of us figured on three or four S&A songs this tour, and the inclusion of "Faithless" still only makes it three, but I am sure most of us also figured "Malignant Narcissism" was a gimme.  Shows how much we know. :lol

Anyway, regardless the silly stuff between all of us earlier today, it's all good. :hat
It is all good. Why are they are playing Working Them Angels again?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #179 on: July 05, 2010, 09:15:19 PM »
I wouldn't have minded them dropping it, but I like "Workin' Them Angels" a lot, and thought it came across pretty well live on both legs in '07 and '08, so I can't fault them for that choice.  I figured it would be one of the S&A songs that would survive this tour. 

I think "Armor and Sword" is a much better song, but it loses something live, as there are too many guitar things going on for Alex to do them all live and to give the song the power and charm it needs. 

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #180 on: July 05, 2010, 09:17:29 PM »
I agree with Kev that WTA is indeed a great song! I'm sure it's really nice live too.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #181 on: July 05, 2010, 09:27:50 PM »
I agree with Kev that WTA is indeed a great song! I'm sure it's really nice live too.
I saw it 3 times last tour and it was good. I just felt they played two many S&A songs as a whole last time out, and on the Time Machine tour, just Playing a couple would have been enough. Faithless had not been played, and Far Cry is a new classic, but whatever, I can live with WTA again.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: July 05, 2010, 09:28:56 PM »
I remember really liking all the new stuff when I saw them in '07 (back when I only owned Moving Pictures and 2112), and WTA is definitely a highlight from S&A.  I'm pumped to see it again.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #183 on: July 05, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
I remember really liking all the new stuff when I saw them in '07 (back when I only owned Moving Pictures and 2112), and WTA is definitely a highlight from S&A.  I'm pumped to see it again.
I have seen Rush 37 times dating back to my first show on Moving Pictures tour. I think sometimes I am over critical of the set lists because I have been so spoiled. If the last tour was my first and this one my second, I don't think I would make a complaint about anything.
It is a great set list that should please any level of Rush fan.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #184 on: July 05, 2010, 09:52:02 PM »

Don't say that over at the CP forum.  Browsing there again recently, I am reminded of why I stopped going there in the first place.  There are a lot of people who are doing nothing but bitching non-stop, and anyone who disagrees with them, it is a naive fan boy/girl.  It is pretty embarrassing. *shakes head* 

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #185 on: July 06, 2010, 06:31:39 AM »

Don't say that over at the CP forum.  Browsing there again recently, I am reminded of why I stopped going there in the first place.  There are a lot of people who are doing nothing but bitching non-stop, and anyone who disagrees with them, it is a naive fan boy/girl.  It is pretty embarrassing. *shakes head* 
I hate the Counterparts board and refuse to even visit it. I find the members smug, arrogant, and down right rude. I have no interest in there point of view. I am however a member of The Rush Forum where I have over 19,000 posts. I love that board and have made many good friends there I have spent much time with in person. I know the admins personally and some of the mods, and have spent quality time with them.
No board is perfect because people post on them and people in general are quite flawed, myself included.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: July 06, 2010, 06:33:29 AM »

What could they possibly have to bitch about?  Is getting Moving Pictures and new songs not enough?  Do they want them to play stuff like Hemispheres and Xanadu again or something?

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #187 on: July 06, 2010, 06:42:50 AM »

What could they possibly have to bitch about?  Is getting Moving Pictures and new songs not enough?  Do they want them to play stuff like Hemispheres and Xanadu again or something?
I don't think anything Rush would do would make them truly happy. They need to be little bitches.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #188 on: July 06, 2010, 08:29:38 AM »
Kev if I remember corectly, they were playing Faithless in sound checks on the second leg but ended up not adding it to their set.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #189 on: July 08, 2010, 04:24:21 PM »
Most Pumped:

Presto
Faithless
Leave that Thing Alone (I will NEVER EVER tire of hearing this song)
Caravan
BU2B
Marathon

Least Favorite:

Stick It Out
Limelight
Working Man

I cannot wait to see them in a few weeks.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #190 on: July 08, 2010, 05:05:53 PM »
Most Pumped:

Presto
Faithless
Caravan
BU2B
Marathon

Least Favorite:

Stick It Out
Limelight
Working Man

Oh you will enjoy this version of Working Man
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #191 on: July 08, 2010, 05:34:06 PM »
Most Pumped:

Presto
Faithless
Caravan
BU2B
Marathon

Least Favorite:

Stick It Out
Limelight
Working Man

Oh you will enjoy this version of Working Man

I will enjoy the first minute and a half anyway. They also did this on the Moving Pictures and Vapor Trails tours.

If they did the whole song that way, I'd die, but Alex would never stand for it because he has to riff.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 09:11:54 PM by ytserush »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #192 on: July 08, 2010, 08:14:31 PM »
Yup that's why i like it like that just for the rockin end
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #193 on: July 08, 2010, 08:22:27 PM »
I've never understood how people don't enjoy "Working Man," it's such an unbelievably rockin' tune, I honestly can't get enough of it.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: July 08, 2010, 08:24:20 PM »
I've never understood how people don't enjoy "Working Man," it's such an unbelievably rockin' tune, I honestly can't get enough of it.

It's a greaend to the encore.  I think that some are tired of certain songs and that's why they say they don't weant to hear it again.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #195 on: July 08, 2010, 08:24:53 PM »

While it does rock, in retrospect, it's very contrasting to Rush's current sound.
It's great live, because it's old school rock n' roll, but I find the studio version to be a bit flat.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #196 on: July 09, 2010, 09:20:52 AM »
I enjoy "Working Man" for the most part; it just isn't a favorite of mine, even from the first album.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: July 09, 2010, 10:40:26 AM »
"Working Man" is an amazing song.

Offline contest_sanity

Offline MS394

« Reply #199 on: July 09, 2010, 11:58:16 PM »
Well, this will be my first Rush concert  ;D. Incredibly excited.

Just one small question: Is there Rush merchandise for sale at the shows? For some reason I´ve never been able to get a Rush t-shirt  :(  Also, are the prices somewhat high or are they moderate?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 12:17:30 AM by MS394 »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #200 on: July 10, 2010, 07:51:20 AM »
Rush, like most bands, doesn't bring any merchandise on a major tour.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online The Letter M

« Reply #201 on: July 10, 2010, 08:00:29 AM »
For some reason I´ve never been able to get a Rush t-shirt  :(  

I got one with my "Beyond The Lighted Stage" DVD for only $19.99 +tax at Best Buy  :coolio

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #202 on: July 10, 2010, 08:03:46 AM »
I have nearly a dozen by going to shows, buying in stores, and shopping at their merch site. :D
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: July 10, 2010, 08:14:48 AM »
When your fat like  you go to the online store to buy the shirts.  I'm seeing them in Sept. but they don't carry 3X at the shows. So I ordered it at the rush Backstage Club.

Offline MS394

« Reply #204 on: July 10, 2010, 11:28:10 AM »
Ok ok, that´s great to know (yeah, I´m somewhat of a concert noob, this will be my first concert ever also  :eek)

Thanks  ;D

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #205 on: July 10, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
The timing of this tour sucks. They are in Philly when I'm at orientation for Virginia Tech and they are in Northern Virginia after I move in to Tech! :censored
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Online The Letter M

« Reply #206 on: July 10, 2010, 11:41:22 AM »
The timing of this tour sucks. They are in Philly when I'm at orientation for Virginia Tech and they are in Northern Virginia after I move in to Tech! :censored

You can always "hope" a show gets rained out and postponed... but then if your wish comes true, you might have a few thousand Rush fans angry at you...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #207 on: July 10, 2010, 11:44:48 AM »
Susquehanna Bank Center is indoors and Jiffy Lube Live is a pavilion! AHHH
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #208 on: July 10, 2010, 11:51:50 AM »
I am in the same boat.  I'm only an hour from the Atlanta show, but, unfortunately, since it's on a Wednesday night, I won't be able to attend.  I have not just one but two graduate classes this fall on Wednesday nights, and there is just no way I can miss them and expect to keep up, since I'll also be doing part-time student teaching while continuing to work at Target.  Profs at the college are nuts about makeup work.  If you miss a 2 hour class, you'll end up with a bunch of weird hoops to jump through that will take much longer than 2 hours to complete.  So no Rush show for me:

:tdwn

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: July 10, 2010, 02:30:25 PM »
Booo, we could have met up there!  Unless I have a serious test on Thursday, I'm not missing that Rush show.