Author Topic: The Rush 2010 Time Machine tour thread (Possible spoilers included)  (Read 56012 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: The Rush 2010 Time Machine tour thread (Possible spoilers included)
« Reply #350 on: September 30, 2010, 09:05:57 AM »
Quote from: skydivingninja
I thought Geddy would have some vocal trouble, since the tour's almost over, but he nailed every note he could.  The videos were even better than the S&A tour, especially the last one.  So many memorable quotes...It was a blast from start to finish.  Sciopath and I were at the front of the lawn on Geddy's side.  Musical.  Fucking.  Bliss.

Setlists spoilers/My personal high points (if anyone still cares)...
Highlights were Leave That Thing Alone, the new songs, Vital Signs/Moving Pictures, Marathon (that light/effects show was amazing!), Time Stand Still, 2112, and La Villa Strangiato.  Presto is a much better song live than in the studio.  I have a new appreciation for it.

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #351 on: September 30, 2010, 09:07:38 AM »
:metal

I want to see them again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #352 on: September 30, 2010, 09:08:33 AM »
I definitely agree that "Presto" is much better live.  Part of that is how weak the Presto CD sounds, and part of it is the song simply having more energy.  Glad you had a great time, sky!  :tup :tup

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: September 30, 2010, 10:03:21 AM »
Quote from: skydivingninja
I thought Geddy would have some vocal trouble, since the tour's almost over, but he nailed every note he could.  The videos were even better than the S&A tour, especially the last one.  So many memorable quotes...It was a blast from start to finish.  Sciopath and I were at the front of the lawn on Geddy's side.  Musical.  Fucking.  Bliss.

Setlists spoilers/My personal high points (if anyone still cares)...
Highlights were Leave That Thing Alone, the new songs, Vital Signs/Moving Pictures, Marathon (that light/effects show was amazing!), Time Stand Still, 2112, and La Villa Strangiato.  Presto is a much better song live than in the studio.  I have a new appreciation for it.

How is that first part a spoiler?  I said I liked the videos, I said where I was, and I said Geddy was awesome.  Is anyone really going to be spoiled by the fact Rush uses videos between songs/sets?  I understand why the second part was moved, though.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #354 on: September 30, 2010, 10:15:07 AM »
You should frankly be happy I went through the work I did moving things instead of just deleting the post outright (which would have been quick and simple as opposed to finding the correct thread, copying your stuff and quoting it here). You knew there was a tour thread so why would you not post your reactions about the tour there? Spoilers or not I was simply keeping discussions in the proper place.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #355 on: September 30, 2010, 10:23:21 AM »
Is anyone still spoiler free?  :lol I actually thought they were all done touring. i guess they still have a couple more dates?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #356 on: September 30, 2010, 10:25:36 AM »
Tour ends in a day or two I think. In any case there is a Time Machine tour thread, so discussion about the tour probably should go there. :p

Offline Bigleaf

« Reply #357 on: September 30, 2010, 01:28:32 PM »
John (JD) Roberts of CNN interviewed the guys today and even jammed with them.  He's featured in the documentary and is a Toronto native and was the host of CityTV Torontos MuchMusic show a loooong time ago.  The opening music to that show was Overture from 2112 and he interviewed them many times back in the day and is a huge fan as you can see when he jammed with them (Limelight).  There are 2 videos on this page.  One is a 5-minute interview and the other is a jam with him and the guys.

https://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/showbiz/2010/09/30/am.roberts.rush.cnn

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #358 on: October 02, 2010, 01:24:57 PM »
Damn funny revew for a 20 something woman writer from a Tampa newpaper.  Get ready to laugh out loud.

https://www.tampabay.com/features/music/for-40-years-these-guys-are-rock-solid/1125571
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: October 02, 2010, 03:02:37 PM »
Reading that review makes me want it to be September 29th again...I get a warm, fuzzy feeling inside thinking about that show.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #360 on: October 02, 2010, 03:06:27 PM »
They better record a live DVD for this tour so I can relive seeing my favorite song of all time, The Camera Eye :D...orrr they could bring it back next year along with Cygnus X-1 and Xanadu, record a DVD, then I cream my pants as I watch it. *crosses fingers*

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #361 on: October 02, 2010, 03:31:20 PM »
They better record a live DVD for this tour so I can relive seeing my favorite song of all time, The Camera Eye :D...orrr they could bring it back next year along with Cygnus X-1 and Xanadu, record a DVD, then I cream my pants as I watch it. *crosses fingers*

I think they could probably get away with releasing JUST the Moving Pictures part of the second set on CD and DVD from a select show in a 2-disc set, package it as the 30th Anniversary of Moving Pictures and release it next February, 2011, thirty years after the original album was released. And maybe on the DVD, throw in the other unique performances (songs and jams and other bits) as bonus material, rather than releasing the WHOLE show, which might get some fans upset at the whole "Why does every tour need a full official CD and DVD release?!" debate... then again, some of those same people complained when the R30 set wasn't the whole show and we missed out on 8 songs.

Either way, I'd be content with some sort of just-Moving Pictures release...although if they recorded and released a whole show, I wouldn't be too upset about that either. ;D

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #362 on: October 06, 2010, 08:44:07 PM »

I think they could probably get away with releasing JUST the Moving Pictures part of the second set on CD and DVD from a select show in a 2-disc set, package it as the 30th Anniversary of Moving Pictures and release it next February, 2011, thirty years after the original album was released. And maybe on the DVD, throw in the other unique performances (songs and jams and other bits) as bonus material, rather than releasing the WHOLE show, which might get some fans upset at the whole "Why does every tour need a full official CD and DVD release?!" debate... then again, some of those same people complained when the R30 set wasn't the whole show and we missed out on 8 songs.

Either way, I'd be content with some sort of just-Moving Pictures release...although if they recorded and released a whole show, I wouldn't be too upset about that either. ;D

-Marc.

I was one of those that thought they should have released all of R30 at the time. Unfortunately it wasn't the best of perfrormances except for a handful of songs ("Red Barchetta," "Earthshine," "Between The Wheels" being three off the top of my head that were awesome.) They finally added the full show when they released it on Bluray last year.

They just keep getting better and better, so I would definately welcome the whole show in this case because I think the set will significantly change next year to include more of the new album.

Rush fans will complain either way, so I'd rather have the option to buy an awesome performance with liners and art to match rather than have to rely bootlegs to satisfy my needs.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #363 on: November 11, 2010, 01:56:29 AM »
https://news.2112.net/

The Time Machine Tour may not be quite over!
"Now we're thinking we might come back in spring and play some shows in Britain. For a while we steered away from big festivals, because you've got to be prepared to strip it all down for that kind of show. But we played some festivals this summer in Canada and in the US and they went really well. So it's got us thinking that maybe that's something we would do over here in the future."- Geddy Lee, BBC.com, November 10, 2010

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: November 11, 2010, 07:20:05 AM »
Good news for our British friends :tup

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: The Rush 2011 Time Machine tour thread (Possible spoilers included)
« Reply #365 on: November 16, 2010, 12:08:59 AM »
Good news for our British friends :tup

And of course, US.

Although it would be a lot easier on my bank account if they just went in and did the album....

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #366 on: November 17, 2010, 11:36:00 PM »
DAMN!!!

I knew this was going to happen.

Rushisaband is reporting rumors of a two night stand at Madison Square Garden in February/March.

Must find money.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #367 on: November 18, 2010, 07:17:49 AM »
:icwomangs:

Now THAT is going to be a show worth traveling for

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #368 on: November 18, 2010, 08:35:39 AM »
 :(

So tempting. Soooo tempting.

If this happens, we should have a DTF meet up.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #369 on: November 18, 2010, 08:37:33 AM »
I honestly hope Rush does not put finishing the new record aside to start touring again next year.  Finish the new record before doing any more touring.  I believe that was the original goal, right?

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #370 on: November 18, 2010, 08:40:11 AM »
I honestly hope Rush does not put finishing the new record aside to start touring again next year.  Finish the new record before doing any more touring.  I believe that was the original goal, right?

I'm assuming they are just gonna do a short stint through a few US cities at the end of the tour. Maybe they'll roadtest a few more songs from the album as well.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #371 on: November 18, 2010, 09:22:43 AM »

I'm assuming they are just gonna do a short stint through a few US cities at the end of the tour. Maybe they'll roadtest a few more songs from the album as well.

I believe they are in the studio NOW finishing the album's songs. Nick has commented on how the recording process has been going, talking about songs (particularly the "epic" title track "Clockwork Angels"), so I think they'll be in the studio up til the Holidays, take a break, then gear up for the tour in late winter/early spring, do a couple months worth of shows, then take another break as the album gets mastered and ready for a summer release.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #372 on: November 18, 2010, 11:25:05 PM »
TIME MACHINE TOUR 2011

Rush has confirmed they will be extending the Time Machine Tour and coming to Europe this spring.

The following dates are confirmed, including Rush performing in Ireland for the first time ever.

More additional European announcements to come.

Thursday, May 12th     Dublin              O2

Saturday, May 14th      Glasgow          SECC

Monday, May 16th        Sheffield          Motorpoint Arena

Thursday, May 19th     Manchester     MEN Arena

Saturday, May 21st      Newcastle       Metro Radio Arena

Sunday, May 22nd       Birmingham    LG Arena

Wednesday, May 25th London            O2

Rush.com members will be receiving a pre-sale notification on Monday, November 22nd that begins on Tuesday, November 23rd.

Tickets for the Time Machine Tour in Ireland & UK general on sale will commence at 9AM GMT on Friday, November 26th, 2010. Ticket links and details will be posted shortly.

Additional European dates will be announced shortly!

Also confirmed today, the Time Machine tour will return to North America for a selection of dates between March and July, primarily with Rush performing in markets not played on the previous tour run this summer.

Stay tuned to rush.com for more details!

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #373 on: November 19, 2010, 04:05:37 AM »
Reading that review makes me want it to be September 29th again...I get a warm, fuzzy feeling inside thinking about that show.

best show ever.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #374 on: November 19, 2010, 04:17:45 AM »
Considering I've already seen the Time Machine tour 3 times I hope that they at least will have the new album out and be playing more songs from it this time around. Either way I will probably have to limit myself to 1 show.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #375 on: November 19, 2010, 09:06:49 AM »
Considering I've already seen the Time Machine tour 3 times I hope that they at least will have the new album out and be playing more songs from it this time around. Either way I will probably have to limit myself to 1 show.

I'm thinking they may keep the same two new songs "Caravan" and "BU2B", but maybe switch out a couple older tunes. They'll most likely keep Moving Pictures in the set, as it's one of the focuses/highlights of the tour. I hope they keep first-time songs like "Faithless" and "Presto". I doubt they'll take the time to learn anything extremely rare or not played in the last few years. I wouldn't mind it if they replaced "Faithless" with another tune from Snakes & Arrows though, like "Bravest Face" or "Good News First"... or, just tossing this out there, one of the EIGHT songs not played live from Vapor Trails!!!

-Marc.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: November 19, 2010, 09:08:44 AM »
They should cut Stick it Out and play Cut to the Chase instead

And they should keep Marathon. Always keep Marathon  :biggrin:

I also think they should cut Subdivisions. It's an amazing song, but it's been played a lot lately. How about Losing It? Or The Analog Kid?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: November 19, 2010, 09:14:41 AM »
Subdivisions is such a crowd pleaser of late they will keep it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: November 19, 2010, 09:17:54 AM »
I don't want it to be the only song they play from Signals though.

I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE for them to bring out a song from Fly By Night again, but I seriously doubt it'll happen :(

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #379 on: November 19, 2010, 09:20:57 AM »
"Losing It" is great, but I think it is too much of a studio production to pull off live.  I mean, triggering that violin solo live would just be strange, and I can't imagine the song without it.  

I continue to be shocked at how little "The Analog Kid" has been played over years, so I pretty much figure they are never gonna play it.  If they do, awesome, but I am not counting on it.

I suspect the set list next year might see just a few minor changes at best, kind of like how the 2nd leg of the S&A tour in '08 was almost the same as the first leg in '07, except for changing four songs.  In fact, assuming it will be almost the same, I say, ditch "Faithless" and "Stick It Out" right away and replace them with tried and true fan favorites, thereby making the flow of the first set a lot better.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: November 19, 2010, 10:46:49 AM »
You know, if they replace Marathon, it should be with Middletown Dreams

:heart :heart :heart

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: November 19, 2010, 11:26:36 AM »
The only song I havn't seen live from PW is Emotion Detector.  I doubt they'll ever play it.  I love Alex's solo from that song.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: November 19, 2010, 11:27:24 AM »
FEELINGS RUN HIGH

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #383 on: November 19, 2010, 12:02:04 PM »
I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE for them to bring out a song from Fly By Night again, but I seriously doubt it'll happen :(

I doubt Geddy could sing most of the songs on it now.  Plus, I am pretty sure he thinks the title track hasn't aged well at all, and the only other song (besides "By-Tor") they would probably even consider is "Anthem," and I know I don't want to hear Geddy struggle trying to sing that chorus now.  I know I said I don't want medleys, but I'd be down with another R30-type overture, where they play a bunch of instrumental parts from really old songs that they don't want to play in full anymore.

You know, if they replace Marathon, it should be with Middletown Dreams

:heart :heart :heart

They had better not replace "Marathon."

"Middletown Dreams" would be awesome, but that would suck for fans in U.S. cities that got them this year, but won't next year. 

Also, I really wish they would get back to touring in arenas, instead of always doing outdoor shows now.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: November 19, 2010, 12:26:03 PM »
i think the reason theyve been doin outdoor shows lately is because theyve been touring in the summer.