Author Topic: The Rush 2010 Time Machine tour thread (Possible spoilers included)  (Read 55542 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Rush 2010 Time Machine tour thread (Possible spoilers included)
« Reply #140 on: June 29, 2010, 10:00:23 PM »
I love "Animate," too, but I don't like the way they slow it down live.  It sounded too slow on the R30 tour, and they shortened two of the choruses.  Some songs simply don't work quite as well live, and that just might be one of them.  

This set list might very well work like crazy when I see it, but the first half of that first set is gonna be a snoozer for a lot of people, I'm telling ya.  Ultimately, though, diehard fans have been clamoring for "The Camera Eye," "Presto" and "Marathon" for years, and all three are getting played this year, so there is that.  I just think they could have done so much more with the set list, given that they are not touring on a new album and don't have too many spots taken up by brand new songs.  

And I will that saying ending the second set with "Far Cry" is one of the three biggest WTFs Rush have done live since I became a fan, the other two being, putting "One Little Victory" in the encore on the S&A tour, and seguing from "Xanadu" into "Superconductor" on the Rtb tour.  I think some old school Rush fans are still in mental hospitals as a result of that. :lol :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #141 on: June 29, 2010, 10:04:07 PM »
Well, the drum solo has followed "Caravan", but I'm still holding out to see if "Love 4 Sale" is the drum solo, or a song after it.... if the next song is CTTH, then we'll know!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #142 on: June 29, 2010, 10:10:37 PM »
FUUUUUCK.

I wanted to wait, but I couldn't do it.

Out of the set here is what I haven't seen in full yet-

TIME STAND STILL
PRESTO
STICK IT OUT
LEAVE THAT THING ALONE
FAITHLESS
BU2B
MARATHON
CAMERA EYE
VITAL SIGNS
CARAVAN
LOVE 4 SALE
CLOSER TO THE HEART
LA VILLA STRANGIATO
WORKING MAN

So in general I'm pretty happy with what got thrown in for the tour. Faithless is probably the biggest surprise, since once they didn't rotate in any new Snakes songs for the 2nd leg of that tour I pretty much figured the songs we saw live that tour would be the only ones we ended up seeing.

I'm kinda indifferent on Presto, and I can't stand Stick It Out, but otherwise I'm thrilled with some of those choices, especially Marathon, Leave That Thing Alone, Closer to the Heart, and Time Stand Still.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #143 on: June 29, 2010, 10:13:50 PM »
Looks like "Love 4 Sale" is Neil's solo this tour around...

Also, is anyone holding out for ANY setlist changes on A/B nights? This show seems fairly short, only being about 140 minutes long in terms of song length...maybe 150, but 160 tops. I think they may have rehearsed more and might do an alternate switching sort of thing... I hope.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: June 29, 2010, 10:15:50 PM »
Maybe.  We'll just have to see tomorrow, I guess?  I love how I haven't seen a majority of these songs live (albeit after only one other show) and I'm kinda happy "Dreamline" is gone.  I like the song, but its apparently been played every tour until now.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: June 29, 2010, 10:16:26 PM »
Yeah, love Dreamline, but definitely time for a rest.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #146 on: June 29, 2010, 10:22:25 PM »
I doubt we'll see any songs rotated.  The rush.com page says that that is the Time Machine set list, so I would assume it is set in stone for every show.

I love "Dreamline" and would have no problem with them playing that on every tour till they are finished; it is that good of a live song.

Honestly, I am anxious to hear how good "Presto" sounds live.  I still don't think it is in a good spot, but oh well.

Finally getting to see "Marathon" takes some of the sting of a certain other song not getting played.  That three song run at the end of the first set will slay.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #147 on: June 29, 2010, 10:32:31 PM »
This is like the best set ever, listening to it now. Not a bad song yet. (I mistook "Presto" for "Chain Lightning" yesterday)
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #148 on: June 29, 2010, 10:40:18 PM »
Yeah, I'm okay with the set.
I couldn't care less about them not playing Jacob's Ladder; I never found it that good of a song, and it would be downright boring live.
Stoked for Presto and Faithless and pretty much everything on that set.
Also, Far Cry at the end is still pretty weird, but its become a pretty well-known song and a fan-favourite off of S&A, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and hope that it works as a closer.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #149 on: June 29, 2010, 10:46:42 PM »
Studio albums not represented on this tour:

Fly by Night
Caress of Steel
(shocking! :lol)
Grace Under Pressure
Roll the Bones
(first time since its release that it is not represented at all)
Test for Echo
Vapor Trails

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #150 on: June 29, 2010, 10:57:06 PM »
A bit of a missed opportunity with T4E and Vapor Trails...they're new enough that not many of the songs are overplayed, but there are still plenty of obscure songs they could pull out.
Otherwise, it seems pretty reasonable. As said before, Roll the Bones gets plenty of live treatment, and so does P/G. FBN and CoS are no surprise, really.

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #151 on: June 29, 2010, 11:02:27 PM »
They can continue to ignore TfE forever and I will be just fine with that.  Given the short shelf life that album has had in the live sets says it all.  Since the TfE tour, here is how many songs from it have been played:

VT tour: 2 ("Driven" and an acoustic "Resist")
R30 tour: 1 (acoustic "Resist)
S&A tour: 0 (both legs)
Time Machine tour: 0

I don't think any other Rush album has seen such a short collective shelf life in the live sets.  Hell, even Presto at least got three songs on the next album's tour.  In fact, Test for Echo is the ONLY Rush album to see only two songs get played on future tours (meaning tours not representing the album itself).

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #152 on: June 29, 2010, 11:17:23 PM »
Yeah, that sort of bums me out. Frankly, I find Test for Echo has far more songs that are suited for a live environment than Presto does.

On an unrelated note, I keep forgetting how much space Moving Pictures takes up. Granted, they often play most of the songs from that album on every tour, but seeing it all together makes it look very filling.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #153 on: June 29, 2010, 11:22:48 PM »
I haven't been dying to see "The Camera Eye" live like a lot of other Rush fans have been, but it will be cool to see it finally.  The other six songs from MP are all great enough to where they always kick ass live, although "Limelight" seemed a bit stagnant on the last tour; Peart looked like he was playing it in slow motion or something.

It continues to amaze me that they never play "The Pass" live.  All three have talked about how much they love it, yet, since the RtB tour, it has only been played on one tour.  That is just strange.

Back to TfE, the only songs I would want to see live now would be "Resist" or the never played before "Totem."  Everything else, nah.  I like some of the other songs, but they have too many other good songs to waste five minutes on a TfE song, IMO.  I am sure someone will say, "Yeah, but they are wasting five minutes playing Stick It Out this year," but playing anything from CP is never a bad thing. :coolio

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #154 on: June 29, 2010, 11:36:22 PM »
"Stick It Out" is awesome. I don't care what any of you say.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #155 on: June 29, 2010, 11:57:11 PM »
I was convinced that this was the year "The Analog Kid" was finally coming back, but I was dead wrong.  Interestingly, looking over the Rush set lists from every tour, it is rather surprising how little it has been played over the years.  It was obviously played on the Signals tour, but since:

P/G tour: Nope (although it was played at all five shows on the P/G warm-up tour)
PoW tour: Nope
HYF tour: Nope
Presto tour: Nope
RtB tour: Only played the last month of an eight month tour
CP tour: Played every night of the tour
TfE tour: Nope
VT tour: Nope
R30 tour: Nope
S&A tour: Nope
Time Machine tour: Nope (barring any unforeseen changes)

So, in other words, since the Signals tour, "The Analog Kid" has only been regularly been played on one single tour.  That absolutely shocks me.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #156 on: June 30, 2010, 12:15:30 AM »
Well. I just got back from this amazing show. It was the best of the year for me. The rehearsals setlist that was posted is the correct set. It was Fuckin the best you will not be disappointed especially by the rearrangments. Working Man was the cool especially how they began it. Those going will enjoy completely those who aren't. Well sucks for you
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #157 on: June 30, 2010, 04:56:06 PM »
Well. I just got back from this amazing show. It was the best of the year for me. The rehearsals setlist that was posted is the correct set. It was Fuckin the best you will not be disappointed especially by the rearrangments. Working Man was the cool especially how they began it. Those going will enjoy completely those who aren't. Well sucks for you

Good to hear you enjoyed the show! :) Despite my initial disappointment about not getting JL, I am sure I will enjoy the hell out of the show I see in less than two months. :coolio

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #158 on: June 30, 2010, 06:52:16 PM »
How was the drum solo?
How do they rearrange The Camera Eye?

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #159 on: June 30, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »

:sad:

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: June 30, 2010, 07:48:11 PM »
How was the drum solo?
How do they rearrange The Camera Eye?

In that radio interview someone just posted they talked about taking out a few repeated sections.  Not sure what else they'll do.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #161 on: June 30, 2010, 10:46:19 PM »
The drum solo was pretty cool and different. He dropped a stick but it still kicked ass. And Closer To The Heart was a surprise.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #162 on: July 01, 2010, 09:09:09 PM »
Aside for Stick It Out (worst song in the set by far), I'm more than OK with it. 

Sure I'm bummed about not hearing Jacob's Ladder, but it's a lot easier to take if we get Presto and Faithless.

Here's the opening video for the set (Pure Genius!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUZa1iJ7jDM

I wasn't all that pysched to see The Camera Eye either (figuring that that ship has sailed), but after seeing the clip I really like the work they put into it and I'm kinda psyched to see it now.

Quite a few people on various Rush messageboards seem to be more than a little ticked off at the set this time, but I'm not one of those people.

I know Leave That Thing Alone hasn't been gone from the set long, but I want to BE that song.

Before Snakes and Arrows came out, it was probably my favorite Rush instrumental. It still might be.

I'll have to own up to the Hockey Night In Canada Theme not being included in the drum solo, maybe there were copyright issues or they figured (probably rightly) that it didn't go with the theme.

Offline Bigleaf

« Reply #163 on: July 02, 2010, 11:42:02 AM »

Portnoy was invited to the show last night as Neils guest and tweeted about it:

# I am truly humbled to have developed a friendship with one of my childhood heroes...

# A big thank you to Bubba for his generous hospitality & the royal treatment he gave to me and Marlene at Rush's show tonight in Kansas City

# Not only is Neil Peart an exceptional drummer and an inspirational human being, he is an incredibly gracious host!

# As I have 2 days off from the DT tour, I'm flying to Kansas City to catch Rush...(thx to the gracious Mr. Peart for the personal invite!)

https://twitter.com/MikePortnoyDT

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #164 on: July 02, 2010, 01:25:44 PM »
I wonder if he enjoyed the set.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #165 on: July 02, 2010, 02:33:42 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzQnETETHyU

I have admittedly not been a fan of Portnoy's for a pretty long time, but I'll give him props for being patient and taking the time to let the fans who recognized him take pics with him.  But the person who recorded that comes off like a freaking stalker.  You go to see Rush and you spend your time recording a musician from another band you saw in the crowd?  Lame.  I guess it is not hard to see why Peart, who is a very shy person by his own admission, is very resistant to be out in public around fans.  Some people simply handle that stuff better than others.  

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #166 on: July 05, 2010, 08:45:06 AM »
Okay, to do tick's idea in this thread, the 5 songs I am most pumped to see this tour are:

1. "Marathon" - Long one of my favorite Rush tunes, I will FINALLY get to see it.
2. "La Villa Strangiato" - I never get tired of them playing this.
3. "Caravan" - Will be curious to see how it sounds live.
4. "BU2B" - Ditto.
5. "Red Barchetta" - Another personal favorite I can never get enough of (that is not as overplayed as the other Side 1 MP songs).

And the 5 I could miss (although I won't) if I had to run to the men's room:

1. "Limelight" - It doesn't do that much for me live anymore, I have to admit.
2. "Working Man" - Have never been overly wild about this song.
3. "Far Cry" - I am still shocked at the great spot this song got in the set list, which is not deserved.
4. "Stick It Out" - I love CP, but this is my least favorite from it.
5. "Faithless" - There was absolutely no reason to start playing this.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #167 on: July 05, 2010, 11:22:47 AM »
Okay, to do tick's idea in this thread, the 5 songs I am most pumped to see this tour are:

1. "Marathon" - Long one of my favorite Rush tunes, I will FINALLY get to see it.
4. "BU2B" - Ditto.
5. "Red Barchetta" - Another personal favorite I can never get enough of (that is not as overplayed as the other Side 1 MP songs).

3. "Far Cry" - I am still shocked at the great spot this song got in the set list, which is not deserved.
Whatever Kev. I love when a regular member decides what threads are acceptable to start and which one aren't.
but more power to you for feeling you had to put your list in this thread instead of the separate one I made just for it.
cause your Rush tour thread should be the only one...
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #168 on: July 05, 2010, 12:53:51 PM »
I'm not sure why you are getting pissy about this, but I don't care about having the only Rush thread.  It just makes more sense to keep all tour talk in the same thread.  If you disagree, that is fine, but my comments have nothing to do with what I think it is acceptable or not.  But this is not a Rush forum; this is a DT forum, and we already have two Rush threads near the top of page 1, one for general Rush talk and the other for tour talk, so I simply don't see the point in starting another Rush thread, especially when one of the two threads going in appropriate for what you want to discuss.  And I would say that regardless of who started this tour thread.  Heck, I got the idea to rank the songs from Devin Townsend's AE the other day, but I didn't start a new thread (which I would have if I was really someone who cared about being a thread starter); I put it in the existing Devin thread that everyone posts in already.  That makes the most sense and keeps everything nice and tidy. If there is big news or something new thread worthy, that is a different thing, but this isn't, IMO.  That is all. :)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: July 05, 2010, 01:25:56 PM »
Whatever Kev. I love when a regular member decides what threads are acceptable to start and which one aren't.
but more power to you for feeling you had to put your list in this thread instead of the separate one I made just for it.

Yes, KevShmev is totally obsessed with making sure his thread is the biggest and best on DTF.  Eventually, the entire general music board will be reduced to this one thread.  That is his master plan.  Fight against it Tick!  Fight for thread independence, even if those threads take up unnecessary space!

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #170 on: July 05, 2010, 02:56:08 PM »
Having never seen Rush before these are the top 5 songs I am looking forward to:

1. Marathon - One of my favorite Rush tunes, and my favorite from Power Windows
2. Subdivisions - Another favorite, best from Signals
3. Freewill
4. BU2B - The two new songs are two of the best new songs I've heard this year, so I'm pumped to hear both.
5. Caravan

Five that, if I had to, I would miss:

1. Faithless
2. Stick It Out
3. ...

Ahh fuck it, I've never seen the band before I want to see all these songs!
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #171 on: July 05, 2010, 03:29:13 PM »
There is no need for anyone to get pissy about anything here. If you want to post your list here, go ahead, if you want to post it in the other thread, go ahead. Rush certainly gets enough discussion here that you can have a separate thread about like Tick's.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #172 on: July 05, 2010, 04:53:45 PM »
Not sure why people are not excited for Faithless...
Chances are it wont be played after this tour. Im always excited for unusual songs...

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #173 on: July 05, 2010, 06:08:01 PM »
There is no need for anyone to get pissy about anything here. If you want to post your list here, go ahead, if you want to post it in the other thread, go ahead. Rush certainly gets enough discussion here that you can have a separate thread about like Tick's.
Thank you Nick.
Kev has his opinion, and its his right to. Ninja exercised his right to be condescending, and I have the right to start a thread for something specific if I deem it necessary. Someone posting the link to this thread in mine is unnecessary, imo. If a mod or admin wants to say, hey tick, lets keep it all in one Rush thread, and decides to lock it, you wont hear a word from me. Otherwise, it's no one else's place to determine what should or shouldn't be, imo.  :), I will now let the flow of this thread continue as intended :tick2:
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #174 on: July 05, 2010, 06:13:08 PM »
For the record Tick, along with Kev, I was also talking to you in regards to this post-

4. "BU2B" - Ditto.