Author Topic: The Rush 2010 Time Machine tour thread (Possible spoilers included)  (Read 55548 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I think it is necessary to have a separate tour thread, that way, anyone who doesn't want to know the set list ahead of time for the tour, won't have it spoiled by reading the "regular" Rush thread.  Make sense?

Anyway, we all know that they are playing all of Moving Pictures, Alex Lifeson said a while back that they were probably gonna bring back "Jacob's Ladder," Lifeson and Geddy Lee both indicated that it was probably time to bring "Closer to the Heart" back, and Lee and Lifeson both said in a recent interview that "Stick It Out" is a song that they have been dabbling with in rehearsals, but that Peart wasn't liking it, so who knows what will happen with that one.

Also, "The Body Electric" was recently added to the radio station on the Rush website, so you have to wonder if that is coming back, too.

Lastly, someone at the CP forum has claimed to be friends with someone in the lighting department, and that person recently emailed him a working set list the band has been toiling with, which looked like this (the a/b thing would seem to mean songs they would rotate from night to night):

1. 2112
2. Freewill
3. The Analog Kid
4. Big Money
5. Time Stand Still
6. A.Passage to Bangkok/B.Circumstances
7. Workin’ Them Angels
8. A.Show Don’t Tell/B. Subdivisions
9. Closer To The Heart
10. Tom Sawyer
11. Red Barchetta
12. YYZ
13. Limelight

Intermission

1. The Camera Eye
2. Witch Hunt
3. Vital Signs
4. Caravan
5. BU2B
6. A.The Enemy Within/ B. The Body Electric
7. A.Stick It Out/B. Cold Fire
8. A.Middletown Dreams/B. Marathon
9. Malignant Narcissism
10. Drum Solo
11. Hope/Broon's Bane
12. The Trees
13. Xanadu
14. Prelude: Hemispheres
15. The Spirit of Radio

Encore
1. Far Cry
2. Jacobs Ladder
3. Fly By Night/In The Mood

Looking it over, that looks like a set list I could see them doing. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
I really hope Stick it Out stays out.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
I really hope Stick it Out stays out.

This.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
See my added info in the edit, fellas.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
Holy fuck, if they play that list, I would honestly die happy. That's perhaps the best Rush Setlist I've seen.

If I had a choice, I'd choose set B too, simply because Subdivisions and Circumstances are some of my favorite Rush songs.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
IF (big IF) that set list, were true, my thoughts are:

-I wonder if they would do the first half of "Xanadu" straight into "Hemispheres: Prelude" like they did on the CP tour.

-"Marathon," Middletown Dreams," "The Body Electric" and "The Enemy Within" have all not been played in 20+ years, so I think all of 'em deserve the every night treatment, if they are being brought back.  Heck, if they are gonna tour next year, too, do two of them this year  and then two of them next year. ;)

-I have been calling the return of "The Analog Kid" for a while now, so that wouldn't surprise me one bit.  Same goes for "Time Stand Still."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I would definitely take B, too, Quad.  I don't care about "Show Don't Tell," which is on A, and I want "Marathon" and "Cold Fire," which are on B.  I would hate to not get "The Enemy Within," but I would sacrifice it to get the others.  I just saw APTB and "Circumstances" both on the last tour (the latter on only the first leg, granted), so I would be happy with either. 

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
Yea, "Show Don't Tell" is one of my least favorite Rush songs. :lol
space cadet, pull out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I don't dislike it, but on the list of Rush songs I want to see brought back, that is very low on the list.  Hell, if they are gonna play something from Presto, give us the title track (which has been rumored the last few tours) or "The Pass" again.  Nothing else from that probably has a chance in hell, so I won't even mention "Available Light." :biggrin:

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
If they don't play anything from Presto or Vapor Trails I'd consider it a good thing. I really don't care for either of those albums.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
Re: The Rush 2010 Time Machine tour thread (Possible spoilers included)
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 12:25:47 PM »
Holy fucking shit those sets would be incredible.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 12:26:58 PM »
I hope my up close shows are B sets if that holds true, as I prefer the B in all but 1 case, and 2 of the A songs are 2 of like 5 or 6 Rush songs I actively dislike.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 12:27:43 PM »
If "One Little Victory" bites the dust, I will consider this tour's set list one massive victory. :biggrin:

But I still don't like them putting fairly new songs in the encores, like they did with OLV last tour.  Put "Far Cry" in that 6th slot in the first set, and move those two rotating 70s classics to the first encore slot.  

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 12:29:08 PM »
Oh, and we cannot overlook how incredible it would be for to bring back the segue from "The Trees" into "Xanadu," like they did on the MP tour. *drools*

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 12:30:17 PM »
I'm not sure if they've done any of these medleys in that list before seeing as I've never seen Rush live before my show this July, but that "Fly By Night/In The Mood" medley would be really, really awesome to see.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 12:34:44 PM »
I cannot remember exactly which tour, but I think they did the "Fly by Night"/"In the Mood" mash-up sometime back in the 70s.  In fact, I don't think "Fly by Night" has been played since the 70s.  That would be a tough one for an aging Geddy to tackle vocally.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 12:36:49 PM »
FUCK I wish I was going to this!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 01:28:43 PM »
You've got to be kidding me...

This is one thing Rush does that kinda ticks me, instead of choosing A/B nights by geography they just rotate night to night. I'm set to see three shows, and if they rotate songs it won't matter at all because I'll end up seeing the same set at each show.

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2010, 01:35:43 PM »
Dreamline is not on that list.  THANK GOD.
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2010, 02:09:47 PM »

This is one thing Rush does that kinda ticks me, instead of choosing A/B nights by geography they just rotate night to night. I'm set to see three shows, and if they rotate songs it won't matter at all because I'll end up seeing the same set at each show.

That is a pretty weak way of looking at it.  Like they are supposed to know which exact shows some fans who are going to more than one show are going to. :tdwn :tdwn

I love "Dreamline."  It has been played on every tour since its release, so I can understand some wanting to see it put it to rest, at least for maybe a tour, but I would have no problem if it continued to get played on every tour.  It is that good, especially live.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 02:15:23 PM »
I'd love to see Middletown Dreams again. It's been 25 since I saw them play that live.  I would love to hear them do an acoustic version of Presto out of the drum solo.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010, 02:37:44 PM »
I want A Passage To Bangkok but also want Subdivisions :(

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2010, 04:00:29 PM »
Holy crap.  I'd be more than happy with that set.  Only problem is, my ideal set would have APTB, Subdivisions, The Enemy Within, Cold Fire, and Marathon.  So I guess I want more B songs than A songs.  Of course, these are all rumors, but DAMN that's a great set....

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2010, 04:59:15 PM »

That is a pretty weak way of looking at it.  Like they are supposed to know which exact shows some fans who are going to more than one show are going to. :tdwn :tdwn

I love "Dreamline."  It has been played on every tour since its release, so I can understand some wanting to see it put it to rest, at least for maybe a tour, but I would have no problem if it continued to get played on every tour.  It is that good, especially live.

It's not what shows certain fans are going to, it's simply geography. If you play three shows within 60 miles of one another then you shouldn't be playing the same set at each show. All it would take is to take a map of the tour before hand and pick which cities get set A and B instead of changing it every other night.

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2010, 07:33:04 PM »

It's not a bad song.  Just sick of hearing it live.
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2010, 07:48:42 PM »
Yeah, as much as I *love* Dreamline, it's time it gets dropped for something I haven't heard yet.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2010, 07:48:56 PM »
:caffeine:
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2010, 11:00:29 PM »
Also, when you say 2112 in the setlist, do you mean the full song or just the first two parts?
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2010, 11:14:11 PM »
I'd love to see Middletown Dreams again. It's been 25 since I saw them play that live.   

I have really grown to love "Middletown Dreams" over the years (I liked it at first, but was never that bonkers over it until the last few years), but if it comes down to that or "Marathon," I am taking "Marathon" all the way.  Shoot, they should just cut "The Big Money" loose and play both at every show! :)

It's not what shows certain fans are going to, it's simply geography. If you play three shows within 60 miles of one another then you shouldn't be playing the same set at each show. All it would take is to take a map of the tour before hand and pick which cities get set A and B instead of changing it every other night.

Well, remember this is all just speculation at this point.  We have no idea if that set list is even close to accurate, so time will tell. ;)

It's not a bad song.  Just sick of hearing it live.

I am not.  I have only see them 9 times, and I cannot imagine a great song getting old after listening to it 9 times on my CD player, so the same applies to the live setting.  :biggrin:

Also, when you say 2112 in the setlist, do you mean the full song or just the first two parts?

I would assume the first two parts only (and maybe the last part). 

Offline cygnusx1jg

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2010, 11:51:23 PM »
Very good setlist---however I can't imagine they won't play one song from Vapor Trails.  That record holds a special place for the guys as Neil's "comeback" album.

Hmmm, Freeze would be nice to hear.
Hope is what remains to be seen. Now we must tend our garden.

Offline UnutterableSquid

• Squiddus Maximus
  • Eddie, what took you so long?
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2010, 12:52:53 AM »
I really hope that my show is on a "B" night then, since I'd much rather hear Subdivisions than Show, Don't Tell

The Final Frontier - August 16th, 2010

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2010, 06:20:27 AM »
Holy shit The Enemy Within.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online Mladen

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2010, 07:43:45 AM »
1. 2112
3. The Analog Kid
6. A.Passage to Bangkok
8. Subdivisions
6. A.The Enemy Within/ B. The Body Electric
8. A.Middletown Dreams/B. Marathon
2. Jacobs Ladder
These would be awesome.  :metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2010, 02:22:30 PM »
man, i hope the $90 lower bowl seats go on sale finally. I really don't want to miss this tour. If that set is about right on then this set kicks the last time's ass
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD