Author Topic: Finishing Quadrochosis' top 50 v. now in the top 10 :o  (Read 67669 times)

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
Finishing Quadrochosis' top 50 v. now in the top 10 :o
« on: August 22, 2011, 05:38:41 PM »
Hey everybody, time for my top 50.

Just a warning, there are a lot of repeat bands, so don't expect too much variety. I tend to really delve into bands full discographies and as a result a lot of repeat bands are on this list. So it will probably be really boring to read.

I had a few rules going into this list and they were:

No albums from 2011
No albums that are live
No compilation albums
No EPs

Arbitrary? Probably. But whatever.

Here I go

50. Sweet Trip - Velocity : Design : Comfort

I have Seth to thank for showing me this wonderful, wonderful album. A perfect blend of pop, shoegaze and electronica, this album really hits me where many other albums don't. The way that the music almost seamlessly blends the wide variety of elements is one of the things that really grabs me about it. On top of all of this, it is a fairly consistent album, and I don't ever find myself getting tired of any particular songs, although a few do definitely stick out amongst the others.

Favorite tracks: "To All The Dancers Of The World, A Round Form Of Fantasy", "Chocolate Matter", "Fruitcake And Cookies"

49. dredg - Catch Without Arms

One of dredg's better albums, CWA does a really good job of both maintaining the things that make dredg dredg (soaring guitars, wonderful melodies, great instrumentation) while also treading completely new waters with songs like "Zebraskin" or "Sang Real" which both contain elements that were almost non existence on previous releases. Thematically the album is also intriguing because the entire album is lyrically about opposites and contrasts, but musically the songs in the first and second half of the album also oppose and contrast, making it a very unique feeling album. The other things that is really cool is how there are sections of songs that are later more drawn out in other songs, like the "look what I have found section at the end of "Not That Simple" that later is used in the chorus of "Planting Seeds", or how the musical theme of "The Ornament" is used in small bits throughout the album.

Favorite songs: "Zebraskin", "Planting Seeds", "Sang Real", "The Ornament"

48. Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left

Not my favorite work of Drake's, but certainly a magnificent accomplishment, and probably one of the best albums contrived in the 1960s. It serves as a kind of balance between his second and third albums, having both solo acoustic songs and more band oriented pieces, which really serves the album well in a diverse way. Some of Drake's catchiest melodies can be found in this album, and although it does not achieve musical highs for me like the other two do, I still hold it very dear to me.

Favorite songs: "River Man", "Cello Song", "Fruit Tree"

47. Oceansize - Effloresce

My favorite Oceansize album comes in at 47. Overall, I think that the band really achieved their greatest musical and lyrical moments all on this album. It's raw and biting but at the same time atmospheric and ethereal vibe totally make it an album that I love to listen to on dark cold nights, or when I'm going for a walk. It's a great album to just put on and totally vibe out on. The dizzying array of genres and motifs used on this album, and how intricately and perfectly aligned they are is totally one of my favorite things about this album, and I feel that Oceansize was never again able to achieve it.

Favorite songs: "Saturday Morning Breakfast Show", "Massive Bereavement", "Women Who Love Men Who Love Drugs"

46. Opeth - Deliverance

This album is probably the heaviest album on my entire list. Not being a tremendous fan of really heavy stuff, I'd say that this album is a good exception because it has some of the tastiest and most killer riffs I've ever heard in my entire life. The only song that isn't pretty much perfect is the first song, but once you hit the title track, the rest of the album is a complete joy to listen to, and very easy to just get lost in. A lot of people hate on this album but I've never really understood that because I've loved it immensely from the first listen. The clear standout track, and probably the best Opeth song written is easily "A Fair Judgement". That song just slays so much.

Favorite songs: "A Fair Judgement", "Deliverance", "By The Pain I See In Others"

More to come (Probably tomorrow!)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 04:01:42 PM by Quadrochosis »
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Ħ

Re: Quad's Top 50 Albums v. I will actually update this
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 05:40:46 PM »
Quad has great taste, so I'll definitely check out his picks.  Of those first few, I've only heard Deliverance once and can't remember anything about it.  But definitely looking forward to future picks.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 05:42:38 PM »
Do want.

also hayden I could see you enjoying all of these albums except Sweet Trip.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 05:44:21 PM »
Following.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 05:45:38 PM »
Good stuff so far. Following.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 05:46:02 PM »
You have the shittiest musical taste so I will not be following

:heart

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 07:24:18 PM »
Great taste, and great top 50 this will be. I will follow this list surely. Nice update right away! :tup

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 07:36:22 PM »
Following for prog metal recommendations.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 08:01:27 PM »
Nice to see dredg up on the list, haven't heard the other albums but I can't wait to check them out.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 08:02:02 PM »
I have a feeling we'll be seeing dredg again in this list.
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 01:41:10 AM »
Some great albums right here.
Will be following, though I strongly suspect that around the last 20 albums or so, Quad will probably loose it like other have and update way more slow. :P
A phenomenon that seem to occur every time.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 02:11:24 AM »
Deliverance! Well done, Zack.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 06:36:32 AM »
So we're giving up on the other top 50 lists.  Works for me. 
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 06:45:02 AM »
I think Clairvoyant Cat might finish his up, which I'd like to see.

I think skydivingninja is done.

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 01:42:46 PM »
Sweet, following. Seems I really need to listen to Dredg, I've never heard any of their music but they're always spoken of so highly

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 05:37:19 PM »

45. Yes - Close to the Edge

One of the best releases from the entire Progressive Rock genre. Only 3 songs, but all of them are separate masterpieces in their own ways and each one has remained a strong staple in the Yes catalog and live set. While it's not the best Yes album, it certainly is a strong contender. CttE also features one of music's greatest achievements in my opinion: the middle section of the title track which features Rick Wakeman in all his glory performing one of the greatest keyboard sections ever.

Favorite song: "And You And I"

44. Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here

This album ended up being my favorite offering of 2010, and has found its way into my Top 50 list. Simply put, this album is one of the most emotionally positive and most thought provoking and spiritual albums I've ever heard in my life. The angelic and ethereal sound that is created on this album is just so perfect to me, and it always helps to brighten my spirits.

Favorite tracks: "A Simple Mistake", "Hindsight", "Everything"

43. King Crimson - In The Court of the Crimson King

Often hailed as Prog Rock's first true album, KC's debut also remains their best work, although plenty of other albums by them are absolutely incredible. Pretty much every style of music that was known at the time exists on this album in some form or another, and it remains to this day to be one of the most unique and interesting albums I know. Greg Lake's voice is perfect, Fripp's guitars are a fresh break from what was more prominent at the time, and pretty much every other instrument is spot on throughout the album.

Favorite Songs: "In The Court of the Crimson King", "21st Century Schizoid Man"

42. Depeche Mode - Violator

This is one of many gems that I've fallen across through my father's record collection. I know a lot of more die hard DM fans like other albums over this one, but to me, this album is a perfect example of the 80s sound. The dark, underground atmosphere mixed with absolutely haunting vocals make it one of the best albums to listen to around the fall/Halloween season. Haven't checked out a lot more past this album, other than the big DM records, but this album has hit me more than the others, so I am content with it.

Favorite songs: "Halo", "Enjoy the Silence", "Policy of Truth"

41. maudlin of the Well - My Fruit Psychobells...A Seed Combustible

motW is one of my more recent bands that I've gotten into (just within the past month or two really) but a couple of Driver's albums will appear on this list, because he is probably the first musician since SW and Casey Crescenzo who's music has really hit me in a different kind of way. Anyway, maudlins' debut album comes in 41st place, which is really not that bad since I only heard it for the first time a month ago. The vast majority of MFP is completely flooring, and it's a must listen for anyone who likes music.

Favorite songs: "Catharsis Of Sea-Sleep And Dreaming Shrines", "Blight Of River-Systems", "Ferocious Weights"

More to come tomorrow!
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 05:40:01 PM »
Awesomesauce.

I like this list a lot.
I AM A GUY

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 05:44:00 PM »
Quad, I hope you weren't one of the guys complaining about DT's ADTOE album cover, because every one of these covers except Anathema is ugly as fuck.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 05:45:13 PM »
Incorrect. ITCOTCK's cover is the greatest album cover in the history of music.
I AM A GUY

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 05:46:29 PM »
Incorrect. ITCOTCK's cover is the greatest album cover in the history of music.

Except.....

It's not.

:lhk:

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2011, 05:49:16 PM »
Awesome picks!

And how is a green gradient ugly at all?  :lol Simplistic, yes. Ugly, no.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2011, 06:00:06 PM »
Depeche Mode :heart I approve.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2011, 06:05:41 PM »
Quad, I hope you weren't one of the guys complaining about DT's ADTOE album cover, because every one of these covers except Anathema is ugly as fuck.

I wasn't
space cadet, pull out.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2011, 06:07:19 PM »

I wasn't

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2011, 06:42:23 PM »
Good to see some King Crimson and Yes in this list. Will follow.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2011, 06:45:38 PM »
I gotta admit, I'm surprised to see CTTE so low on your list.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011, 06:48:28 PM »
I gotta admit, I'm surprised to see CTTE so low on your list.

I've cooled off on Yes a lot over the past few years. Last year it probably would have been a lot higher, but I've been moving away from the "classic prog" vein for quite some time now.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2011, 06:53:13 PM »
WHBWH <3

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2011, 08:28:33 PM »

40. The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed

One of the first albums that got me started on my "prog rock" journey. This album is truly one of a kind, and the concept and theme of the songs is nothing short of genius!

Favorite songs: "The Morning: Another Morning", "The Night: Nights In White Satin"

39. The Mars Volta - Amputechture

This album took the most getting into out of all the other MV albums, but the payoff is so worth it. There are moments on this album that are so fucking cool and just downright creative that they sound fresh every single time i listen to them. A lot of people hate on this album, but I will never understand the hate.

Favorite Songs: "Meccamputechture", "Day of the Baphomets", "Tetragrammaton"

38. Genesis - Selling England By The Pound

One of prog rock's best comes in at 38. Perhaps my favorite guitar solo of all time is in this album ("Firth of Fifth"). On top of that, it has some of the best vocals ever, and some of the tastiest keyboard moments out of most other albums I own. The Gabriel era Genesis is really a band that is completely in a league of their own, because some of the best music ever came from them.

Favorite Songs: "Firth of Fifth", "The Cinema Show"

space cadet, pull out.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2011, 08:37:24 PM »
Nice batch, cuz.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2011, 08:39:37 PM »

At least they don't look like a high schooler's first photoshop project.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2011, 09:16:15 PM »

At least they don't look like a high schooler's first photoshop project.

Yep.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2011, 09:39:37 PM »
 :tup

VISCERA EYES!

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2011, 09:45:22 PM »