Author Topic: In Flames  (Read 76992 times)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: In Flames
« Reply #665 on: February 28, 2023, 02:39:00 AM »
I am really enjoying the new album. I've pretty much been listening to it non-stop for over a week and haven't grown sick of it yet. Some really strong songs and hooks.

Easily my album of the year so far. That may all change as we have new Haken and Enslaved on Friday.

I've just been listening to The Jester Race, how am I only just realising that Wayfaerer is such a good song!?

Offline billboy73

« Reply #666 on: February 28, 2023, 08:08:53 AM »
Pretty sure nothing will top the new Katatonia for me, but I am definitely loving Foregone so much.

I had almost forgotten about the new Enslaved.  They don't have a bad album in their catalog, so I don't think I'll be disappointed there.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #667 on: March 01, 2023, 03:28:22 AM »
I must be missing something
  I ran through this CD today in the car and.......I didn't like it.......at all.  A few of the singles on their own were quite good but on a whole, I thought it was quite poor. 

The talk of In Flames of old is back is absolute drivel.  A couple of the singles did have some CC era vibes but this is really another extension of the last two.

I'll try again but I'm extremely disappointed.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #668 on: March 01, 2023, 06:07:52 AM »
I don't get the people saying it's AOTY material, but it did seem noticeably better than the last few from my first listen (plus the singles).  That's a ways from their glory days, but I was starting to think they'd either keep trending in the wrong direction or be perpetually stuck in mediocrity, so it at least gives some hope.  As long as Anders is their vocalist and he insists on all the cleans, which he's not good at, I think there's a pretty hard ceiling for them though. 

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #669 on: March 01, 2023, 10:24:08 AM »
Kade....you're chock full of Aussie nonsense. Give it another spin or two.

Maybe it's because I require my metal to have either catchy hooks or dual guitar melodic harmonies, but I thought this was the best In Flames record. It's not even close, in my opinion. I can see how a fan of their earlier work probably wouldn't like the newer material, but Battles was a decent album and this one blows it out of the water.

As for the clean vocals debate, I don't mind Anders' work on this album. Pure Light of Mind is exclusively clean vocals, and it's a quality track IMO. His vocals used to grate on me a touch, but I think he's matured as a vocalist over the last 2 albums. My tastes have also changed over the last 6 or 7 years, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #670 on: March 01, 2023, 10:48:04 AM »
I don't get the people saying it's AOTY material, but it did seem noticeably better than the last few from my first listen (plus the singles).  That's a ways from their glory days, but I was starting to think they'd either keep trending in the wrong direction or be perpetually stuck in mediocrity, so it at least gives some hope.  As long as Anders is their vocalist and he insists on all the cleans, which he's not good at, I think there's a pretty hard ceiling for them though.

I agree with this post.  I don't see how it can be album of the year, nor does it come close to being as great of an album like Colony is.  But it is a step in the right direction for me - I like hearing the older In Flames style in their new music.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #671 on: March 01, 2023, 01:55:16 PM »
I wouldn't say the new album is a return of In Flames of old, but it's certainly a return to form as far as I'm concerned. This album is growing on me more and more each time I listen.

As for being an album of the year contender, being as we're only two months into the year it's the best album I've heard so far. I've probably sampled like 30 albums this year and yea, it's the best of the bunch. Like I said, I'm expecting Enslaved and Haken to top it though.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #672 on: March 01, 2023, 02:02:49 PM »
Yeah, I would say the new In Flames is the best album I have heard this year so far.

I also wouldn't really compare it to 'old' In Flames, it is still 'new' In Flames, the songs are just really great.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #673 on: March 01, 2023, 02:09:52 PM »
You can't compare the new album to their older stuff. With that said, they seemed to have reinvented their craft in top form. The "new era" of In Flames is brilliant and just well written. If they write songs this great in the same new style going forward I'm all in.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #674 on: March 01, 2023, 03:30:07 PM »
Kade....you're chock full of Aussie nonsense. Give it another spin or two.

Maybe it's because I require my metal to have either catchy hooks or dual guitar melodic harmonies, but I thought this was the best In Flames record. It's not even close, in my opinion. I can see how a fan of their earlier work probably wouldn't like the newer material, but Battles was a decent album and this one blows it out of the water.

As for the clean vocals debate, I don't mind Anders' work on this album. Pure Light of Mind is exclusively clean vocals, and it's a quality track IMO. His vocals used to grate on me a touch, but I think he's matured as a vocalist over the last 2 albums. My tastes have also changed over the last 6 or 7 years, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

First part.......yes, correct.  :lol

Second bolded part!  :eek

Thing is, I'm on the record of liking the new material.  Haven't been fond of the last two and IMO the new one is like a slightly heavier part 3 of a trilogy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #675 on: March 01, 2023, 03:31:37 PM »
I'll try again, but I really hated Anders clean vocals on this one.  Something about them just annoyed me everytime he went into them.  His harsh vocals though are excellent.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #676 on: March 01, 2023, 03:42:32 PM »
Kade, if you don't like it, you don't like it. Why force it?   :)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #677 on: March 01, 2023, 03:52:21 PM »
Because he's wrong. :neverusethis:

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #678 on: March 01, 2023, 03:54:09 PM »
Because he's wrong. :neverusethis:

:lol :lol :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #679 on: March 01, 2023, 03:59:15 PM »
I do agree overall that any claims of "old In Flames is back" aren't right. The overall style is the post-Clayman style. But that said, more than any other album since then, there is a big infusion of stylings from their earlier albums. It's not a return to their original style but it's bringing a fair bit of it back in to their current one.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #680 on: March 01, 2023, 04:51:15 PM »
It's not even a return to the CC/ASOP style IMO.  There's a few touches we heard in the singles, but on a whole each track had the same formula and Anders clean vocals are more clean than before.  It's just a new In Flames album IMO.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #681 on: March 02, 2023, 03:57:33 AM »
I'm on the side of Kade on this one, although my opinion is not as harsh.

It's certainly better than the last couple In Flames albums, especially Battles which I could not finish. But out of their post "Come Clarity" material I do like "Sounds of a Playground Fading" and "Siren Charms" more.

"Foregone" definitely has it's highlights. I like "The Great Deceiver" quite a bit for example. But this is not fantastic on any metric IMO.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #682 on: September 05, 2023, 03:08:25 PM »
In Flames - Summer Breeze 2023 - ARTE Concert

This is one of the best sounding live recordings by In Flames i've heard. The bass is meaty and Anders sounds great.  :metal

To bad they didn't play December Flower like they did at Dalhalla.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #683 on: September 05, 2023, 03:20:40 PM »
Only two songs before 2000 though...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #684 on: September 05, 2023, 04:18:39 PM »

This is one of the best sounding live recordings by In Flames i've heard. The bass is meaty and Anders sounds great.  :metal

Yeah, I've been making my way through this one, really good stuff.  Anders indeed sounds strong AF.

Only two songs before 2000 though...

I don't think this should really come as a surprise anymore.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #685 on: September 06, 2023, 08:30:06 AM »
At the non-festival dates earlier on this tour they have been playing more old stuff.  My friend saw them in Virginia, and they played Behind Space, Stand Ablaze, Graveland, The Hive, and Scorn.  Wish I could have made that show.

Looks like they have been switching the sets up a good bit lately, adding some stuff from ASOP and Sounds of a Play...  The last couple of shows they busted out Ordinary Story, Colony, and DECEMBER FLOWER! for the first time since the 90's!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #686 on: September 06, 2023, 02:21:40 PM »
At the non-festival dates earlier on this tour they have been playing more old stuff.  My friend saw them in Virginia, and they played Behind Space, Stand Ablaze, Graveland, The Hive, and Scorn.  Wish I could have made that show.

Looks like they have been switching the sets up a good bit lately, adding some stuff from ASOP and Sounds of a Play...  The last couple of shows they busted out Ordinary Story, Colony, and DECEMBER FLOWER! for the first time since the 90's!

Wow!  Some really nice deep cuts there.

Online nick_z

« Reply #687 on: September 06, 2023, 09:00:30 PM »

Wow!  Some really nice deep cuts there.

Indeed! Graveland, December Flower and, my goodness, Stand Ablaze! That’s a choice cut, for sure…I absolutely love the Subterranean EP, and I didn’t think they were going to bust out any songs from that one, ever…

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #688 on: September 06, 2023, 09:23:48 PM »
Yeah, "Stand Ablaze" is one of my favorites of theirs.  With Broderick it's the first time ever that they'd had a guitarist who has the chops to pull off the "December Flower" solo.  Maybe Henrik Danhage could have done it when he toured with them for a bit.  But the solo is essential to the song.  Frederik Johansson was incredible. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #689 on: September 06, 2023, 10:10:33 PM »
Yeah, "Stand Ablaze" is one of my favorites of theirs.  With Broderick it's the first time ever that they'd had a guitarist who has the chops to pull off the "December Flower" solo. Maybe Henrik Danhage could have done it when he toured with them for a bit.  But the solo is essential to the song.  Frederik Johansson was incredible.

Huh!  When did this happen?  I never knew about it.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #690 on: September 07, 2023, 04:14:22 AM »

I’ve sampled a few songs here and holy shit you guys are right, they sound great here. I don’t think I’ve ever really watched any live In Flames performances before, and I think I’ve only seen them live like 3 or 4 times. Each time was either in support of another band, or an afternoon festival slot. I’ve never had the urge to pay out to see them headline, as I know they’ve been hit and miss since I’ve been a fan (Anders at least).

I’m gonna save this to watch when I’ve got a free evening and can kick back with a beer or two. Who knows, maybe I’ll even try to catch them next time they headline over here :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #691 on: September 07, 2023, 04:28:45 AM »
The Used and Abused live DVD is one of my all time fav concert videos.  Incredible.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #692 on: September 07, 2023, 04:35:10 AM »
The Used and Abused live DVD is one of my all time fav concert videos.  Incredible.

I remember back on like ‘06, when first getting into In Flames, I signed up for a year subscription of Metal Hammer Magazine. As part of the promotion you could chose from a bunch of live DVDs to go with the subscription. After much agonising I went with Used and Abused. After a few months the DVD still hadn’t arrived. I contacted the magazine and they said they were out of stock so sent me some other DVD. I can’t remember what it was now, but I remember it was a band I wasn’t even remotely interested in. I was gutted :lol  I was skint back then so didn’t exactly spend much money on live DVDs. I only got round to listening to the audio for that live performance fairly recently, like the last two years. I’ll have to give it a go.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #693 on: September 07, 2023, 04:42:29 AM »
Bastards probably kept it for themselves mate and sent you some other shit.   :lol

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #694 on: September 07, 2023, 04:54:47 AM »
Bastards probably kept it for themselves mate and sent you some other shit.   :lol

Fuckers! I’ll have to settle for YouTube now.

Also, if we ever play “which metal band member is your doppelgänger?” then mine is Björn Gelotte. My hair is almost 100% white now (a few darker ones still left in my beard) and since he’s gone more grey I look more and more like him. Just need grow my beard long again, like I had it a few years ago and I’m there.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #695 on: September 07, 2023, 05:48:15 AM »
That's a great thread idea.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #696 on: September 07, 2023, 06:06:43 AM »

Yea, it actually is. Might fire it up in a bit. I’m assuming you will post a photo posing as your avatar?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #697 on: September 07, 2023, 02:15:03 PM »

Yea, it actually is. Might fire it up in a bit. I’m assuming you will post a photo posing as your avatar?

I am definitely Kip Winger......just minus the hair.  :biggrin: :lol

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #698 on: September 07, 2023, 02:28:20 PM »

I am definitely Kip Winger......just minus the hair.  :biggrin: :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #699 on: September 07, 2023, 02:29:32 PM »
Nah I kid.  No one could ever be that handsome and sexy.