Author Topic: In Flames  (Read 76056 times)

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: In Flames
« Reply #560 on: June 14, 2022, 01:21:23 PM »

...although, if I'm thinking of a comparison, I would definitely go for Slaughter of the Soul-era At the Gates. The main riff and the relentless drumming totally sound like Blinded by Fear! Chorus is way more melodic, though.

It's not like In Flames is new to that sound though.  ATG leaned into it more, but the pedaltone riffs with thrashy drumming are all over The Jester Race, which came out just three months after Slaughter of the Soul

Offline nick_z

« Reply #561 on: June 14, 2022, 02:07:15 PM »

...although, if I'm thinking of a comparison, I would definitely go for Slaughter of the Soul-era At the Gates. The main riff and the relentless drumming totally sound like Blinded by Fear! Chorus is way more melodic, though.

It's not like In Flames is new to that sound though.  ATG leaned into it more, but the pedaltone riffs with thrashy drumming are all over The Jester Race, which came out just three months after Slaughter of the Soul.

Yeah, there are certainly common roots, although I think Slaughter of the Soul really was the one characterized by that straightforward, thrashy approach. I love SotS to pieces, but most songs have that kind of tempo, and a ton of those riffs (as you mentioned) which, incidentally, would influence SO many bands over the years...they did it first, though  :) Plus they had Tompa, and they were able to work just the right amount of melancholy in the fury, which made that album so very special.

The Jester Race surely has songs along those lines (e.g. Graveland), but overall it has much more emphasis on harmonized leads and "folkier" melodies. It is a much more varied and colorful album - and less aggressive, I think. Both amazing albums, though, which is really what matters  ;D

The new song, to me, truly has that Blinded by Fear feel, when it gets going. I haven't followed In Flames all that much over the last few years but, yeah, this sounds like a departure from the songs I have heard, at least.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #562 on: June 14, 2022, 02:40:51 PM »
Yeah, I do prefer TJR, but SotS is kind of like the Reign in Blood of melodeath (although even then it has "Into the Dead Sky" and "The Flames of the End" as a breather and coda). 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #563 on: June 14, 2022, 04:11:51 PM »
TJR >>> SOTS.

No competition in my book.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #564 on: June 14, 2022, 05:59:13 PM »
Yeah, I do prefer TJR, but SotS is kind of like the Reign in Blood of melodeath (although even then it has "Into the Dead Sky" and "The Flames of the End" as a breather and coda).

Absolutely! That's the perfect description for it (I've used it myself  ;))

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #565 on: June 16, 2022, 07:58:18 PM »
All the great pro shot live footage on YT from this year festival circuit, they have a live keyboard player on stage.
Not sure if I've ever noticed it before or maybe it's a new thing?

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #566 on: August 01, 2022, 02:38:59 AM »
Another killer new song 'The Great Deceiver'
https://youtu.be/8USZ-kY-Jco

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: August 01, 2022, 05:12:16 AM »
Wow, that was fresh!  Great song.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #568 on: August 01, 2022, 07:24:28 AM »
I don't know if The Halo Effect has kicked their arses to be more like In Flames.  :lol

This is Colony stuff!  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Deathless

« Reply #569 on: August 01, 2022, 08:06:23 AM »
I don't know if The Halo Effect has kicked their arses to be more like In Flames.  :lol

They can say it hasn't but I 100% think it has. Which is a good thing! It's good to see IF can still write good songs.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #570 on: August 01, 2022, 11:04:50 AM »

This is still missing that massive Colony guitar tone and production, but it's easily the best thing I've heard from them in well over a decade, possibly two.  The main thing The Halo Effect has over In Flames is Stanne, there's absolutely no way Friden can compete with that.  But if Stromblad, Engelin, and Svensson aren't giving it their all and the two In Flames tracks so far are at all portent of the overall release, this could be the upset of the year.  I still highly doubt that, I can't imagine Anders going an entire album now without showcasing his croaking and whiny cleans, but the score is way closer than I'd have expected based on the singles released so far. 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 03:31:20 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #571 on: August 01, 2022, 02:21:27 PM »
Bottom line for me is, we potentially have two great albums coming out and I couldn't care less
where IF 'retro' sound came from as long as top quality  :metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: August 01, 2022, 04:18:12 PM »

Offline billboy73

« Reply #573 on: August 02, 2022, 11:47:18 AM »
Really enjoy both of the new tracks, and that has me pretty optimistic for the new album!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #574 on: August 03, 2022, 05:19:03 AM »
Yeah, I dig the new tracks. Welcome surprise.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #575 on: August 05, 2022, 08:00:35 PM »
WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT INTRO. Is that Colony I'm hearing in the first seconds of the song? And the rest of the song sounds absolutely amazing as well! Honestly didn't think they could go back to their heavier sound. This sounds great!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 08:07:22 PM by LCArenas »

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #576 on: August 06, 2022, 02:20:31 AM »
Yeah, I dig the new tracks. Welcome surprise.

Yeah, both of them were pretty good! Too early to declare this as the return to form, since there have been a couple of good tracks, on each the latest In Flames records.

But so far, this is promising.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: August 06, 2022, 05:32:10 AM »
WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT INTRO. Is that Colony I'm hearing in the first seconds of the song? And the rest of the song sounds absolutely amazing as well! Honestly didn't think they could go back to their heavier sound. This sounds great!

I'm not hearing this Colony influence as much as others.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #578 on: August 06, 2022, 06:00:27 AM »
A friend of mine is going to see them here in Sweden tonight (Dalhalla).
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #579 on: August 07, 2022, 08:59:09 PM »
Yeah, both of them were pretty good! Too early to declare this as the return to form, since there have been a couple of good tracks, on each the latest In Flames records.

But so far, this is promising.
Yeah, I agree with this. I, The Mask had the title track as one of the first tracks released and it got me insanely hyped. The rest of the album was pretty good too, but I kind of expected something more like that song. Heck I even liked "The End" and got a little bit hopeful before they came up whatever Battles was.
But so far it sounds really good.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #580 on: August 08, 2022, 03:53:24 AM »
For me, I, The Mask could be their worst album.  The couple of singles were decent but they were so misleading.  I'm a fan of their whole career but that album sucked.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #581 on: August 08, 2022, 05:45:36 AM »
I thought it was a slight step up from the previous two.  I don't remember liking anything on Siren Charms to speak of other than maybe "When the World Explodes", mainly because of Emilia.  There are always some cool guitar parts on their later albums, but the vocals bring everything down. 

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #582 on: August 08, 2022, 02:35:22 PM »
For me, I, The Mask could be their worst album.  The couple of singles were decent but they were so misleading.  I'm a fan of their whole career but that album sucked.
Nothing is worse than Battles for me. Jesus what a turd of an album and that was the one that made me stop immediately buying each album on release day.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #583 on: August 08, 2022, 05:57:23 PM »
Hmmm.....yeah true, Battles was atrocious.  Siren Charms I liked.  Something about it, but I can see why people hated it.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #584 on: August 08, 2022, 08:04:22 PM »
For the life of me I've never been able to figure out exactly why, but Anders' Passenger side project is way more fun to listen to than most In Flames albums in the past two decades. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #585 on: August 25, 2022, 05:22:41 PM »
Man, imagine a tour with Dark Tranquillity, In Flames and The Halo Effect. They could just swap members to the left and right.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #586 on: August 25, 2022, 06:57:43 PM »
Although Stanne is the only shared member at present between any of the three, and incidentally the only one to be in all three at one point or another. 

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #587 on: September 15, 2022, 01:41:05 PM »
New single, Foregone Pt. 1.

https://open.spotify.com/track/4GAE2sALmyF5ZvrxOEvloU?si=PHRwVFPyS12J6lF54qC9VQ&utm_source=copy-link

Also new album Foregone, to be released February 10th.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #588 on: September 15, 2022, 04:03:58 PM »
I mean 3 solid singles so far makes this album a bit more interesting than previous albums.  :tup

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: September 15, 2022, 04:06:32 PM »
Hmmm...the singles are promising but that cover reeks of the last couple of albums.  Just a bad vibe from the cover.  :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #590 on: September 15, 2022, 06:02:28 PM »
Another good one! Color me surprised...

To me, it's not just a matter of being more aggressive or "old-school"...these songs feel pretty inspired, with good riffs, melodies and solos.

Good for them (and for us  :))!

Offline billboy73

« Reply #591 on: September 16, 2022, 07:50:37 AM »
I love that album cover (imagine if the old logo was on that cover though), and the 3 singles are great.  February 2023 can't get here soon enough guys!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: September 16, 2022, 08:05:12 PM »
Love Broderick getting a solo in that new single too.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #593 on: September 17, 2022, 01:07:18 AM »
I love that album cover (imagine if the old logo was on that cover though), and the 3 singles are great.  February 2023 can't get here soon enough guys!

The old logo has no bearing on the music, which is the most important thing, even the cover itself, not fussed as long as the album is killer.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #594 on: December 13, 2022, 03:53:08 PM »
4 good singles so far, looking forward to this album I am. Hopefully they have more tracks on the album that's equally interesting.

Btw I just stumbled upon IF live from 96 and Anders voice sounds like a screechy teen compared to what he sounds on the album.  :lol

In Flames - December Flower live
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 04:10:36 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »