Author Topic: In Flames  (Read 75866 times)

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
In Flames
« on: May 02, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
I find the lack of this band disturbing in GMD. In Flames has become one of my favorite bands through the last months, with Clayman being their best album IMO (Followed by Colony, Whoracle and The Jester Race). ITT, we talk about their Gothenburg era, the current post-Clayman era, and of course, Anders Fridén's dreadlocks.

Discuss.

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
Re: In Flames
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 02:30:31 PM »
YES, I've been a huge fan of these guys since like 6th grade. Clayman and Whoracle are my favorite albums by them but all their stuff is good. I saw them a while ago with BTBAM and they put on an amazing show. The crowd singing along to Trigger was definitely the highlight of the night. :metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 04:39:46 PM »
One of the first experiences I had with any form of Death metal, and I hold them dear to my heart ever since.  All their work is amazing IMO, even the later albums are excellent.

Fav albums: Jester Race (perfection), Reroute to Remain, Come Clarity, Whoarcle
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 09:59:10 PM »
First metal band I saw live along with Megadeth and Children of Bodom back in 08. Favorite albums: Clayman, Soundtrack To Your Escape, Come Clarity.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 03:49:13 AM »
Seen them live, and i had a period where i pretty much only listened to them.
Very solid band, though i personally think the latest albums has been going downhill.

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 04:14:56 AM »
First heard them in a WoW pvp video (same guy that made another with DT"s Octavarium, so he's basically the guy that got me into all this music) and I've been hooked ever since. Reroute to Remain is probably my favorite, and first album I had from them. A lot of people didn't like Come Clarity, but I think it was good. No way in hell I'd defend A Sense of Purpose though.

Favorite albums: Reroute to Remain, Clayman, Colony

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 05:26:49 AM »
First heard them in a WoW pvp video (same guy that made another with DT"s Octavarium, so he's basically the guy that got me into all this music) and I've been hooked ever since. Reroute to Remain is probably my favorite, and first album I had from them. A lot of people didn't like Come Clarity, but I think it was good. No way in hell I'd defend A Sense of Purpose though.

Favorite albums: Reroute to Remain, Clayman, Colony

Reroute is AMAZING!!!! 

Come on, Sense of Purpose isn't that bad.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 05:39:01 AM »

Reroute is AMAZING!!!! 

Come on, Sense of Purpose isn't that bad.

Its horrible...  :facepalm:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 05:41:25 AM »
Well I didn't mind it.  :(

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 07:18:45 AM »
I like me some In Flames.   Anyone like their 1st album, Lunar Strain, that has Michael Stanne (from Dark Tranquillity) on vocals?   It's interesting, if a bit raw and unpolished.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 07:39:42 AM »
I like me some In Flames.   Anyone like their 1st album, Lunar Strain, that has Michael Stanne (from Dark Tranquillity) on vocals?   It's interesting, if a bit raw and unpolished.

Behind Space...  :metal

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 08:33:02 AM »
Well I didn't mind it.  :(
Same. I think it's a pretty good album considering the greatness of The Chosen Pessimist.
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 11:24:59 AM »
the greatness of The Chosen Pessimist.

:heart

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 11:28:05 AM »
When i saw them live back in 2008, they opened with The Chosen Pessimist.
Still, A Sense of Purpose was a major disappointment.
Surely it has a few cool riffs here and there, but what's up with the vocals?
Anders has been going downhill the last few years imo, his vocals will never be as strong again. :(

On another note, i like Come Clarity.
Might not be my favorite, but i still like it. 
First In Flames-album i bought actually.  :metal

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 01:14:20 PM »
A Sense of Purpose has a really bad aging. The Chosen Pessimist, Sober and Irrelevant and I'm the Highway (Edit: And Move Through Me) are pretty cool and overall the album has good riffs, but WTF with Anders' vocals? I cringe everytime I hear the "PLEEEASE HEEEAL MEEEE" part in Delight and Angers, he sounds like a muppet. Come Clarity is IMO the best album they've done since Clayman. I like Reroute to Remain a lot too (Specially the Title Track)... Soundtrack to your Escape, however, is in the bottom of my list along with ASoP, I just haven't fully gotten into it (Even though it has some good songs). As for Lunar Strain, it's really good. Dreamscape is a fucking masterpiece.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 07:17:34 PM by LCArenas »

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 05:18:07 PM »
Awesome band of course. My first and favorite album of theirs is Whoracle, with Colony a close second. As for the newer stuff, I haven't heard much of ASoP, but I liked Come Clarity a lot.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 05:38:56 AM »
RR/ASoP > CC/STYE

STYE is so abysmal I can't bring myself to buy it for the two songs on it that I absolutely love :facepalm:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 05:50:16 AM »
STYE is so abysmal I can't bring myself to buy it for the two songs on it that I absolutely love :facepalm:

I have to somewhat agree.  people rag on A Sense of Purpose so much, but Soundtrack was pretty weak.  ASOP is way better than Soundtrack. 

Soundtrack did have Touch of Red though, killer song.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 05:53:43 AM »
I don't really see the hate for STYE, at least it isn't close to being compared to ASoP, which was horrible. :D

STYE has:

The Quiet Place
Dead Alone
Touch of Red
My Sweet Shadow

and more.. can't remember exactly what songs it has xD

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 05:57:57 AM »
I don't really see the hate for STYE, at least it isn't close to being compared to ASoP, which was horrible. :D

STYE has:

The Quiet Place
Dead Alone
Touch of Red
My Sweet Shadow

and more.. can't remember exactly what songs it has xD

Besides touch of red I just say meh.  I loved Reroute, Come Clarity and a lesser extent ASOP nut never really got into Soundtrack that much.  Come on ASOP did have;

Mirrors Truth
Disconnected
Sleepless Again
Alias
Delight and Angers
Chosen Pessimist

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 06:01:12 AM »
The vocals drags the album down, some of those songs would've been good if they had been recorded 10 years ago.  :biggrin:

Besides, The Quiet Place & My Sweet Shadow are 2 of their most known songs. ;)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 06:09:12 AM »
The vocals drags the album down, some of those songs would've been good if they had been recorded 10 years ago.  :biggrin:

Besides, The Quiet Place & My Sweet Shadow are 2 of their most known songs. ;)

Hmm...you got me there.  Also the video for Touch of Red was awesome!!

Nevertheless, Andres vocals are a bit annoying on ASOP, but I can still enjoy the album.  Gonna be very interesting where they go from here, I don't know if we will get material anytime soon because of the bands problems at the moment.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 06:22:34 AM »

Nevertheless, Andres vocals are a bit annoying on ASOP, but I can still enjoy the album.  Gonna be very interesting where they go from here, I don't know if we will get material anytime soon because of the bands problems at the moment.

Personally i really liked the album when it came out, but it hasn't aged very well.
Some of the songs that was "wow" at first became boring etc. ;)
It has more boring-songs than awesome ones, but if i would name some of my personal favorites on it, they would be:
The Chosen Pessimist (which is a type of song they've never done before)
Sleepless Again
The Eraser (only bonus track tho)

About new material, they will be collaborating with the drum n bass (more recently electronic rock)-band Pendulum, this collaboration resulting with a song on their coming album "Immersion".
Taken from Wikipedia:
"In an interview with Pendulum frontman Rob Swire, it is confirmed that In Flames is a collaborator for Pendulum's third studio album, Immersion. Before this interview, it was hinted in an image which showed some of the members of In Flames in Pendulum's studio with Rob Swire and bass guitarist Gareth McGrillen, which started speculation. The song has been revealed to be titled "Self versus Self"."
The release-date for this album is set to be May 24th.

About a new-album themselves:
"According to an update on their official website, posted February 24th, 2010. They are taking a break right now to spend time with families and prepare for their two festivals next summer whilst also slowly writing songs for a new album."

;)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 06:48:18 AM »

Personally i really liked the album when it came out, but it hasn't aged very well.
Some of the songs that was "wow" at first became boring etc. ;)
It has more boring-songs than awesome ones, but if i would name some of my personal favorites on it, they would be:
The Chosen Pessimist (which is a type of song they've never done before)
Sleepless Again
The Eraser (only bonus track tho)

About new material, they will be collaborating with the drum n bass (more recently electronic rock)-band Pendulum, this collaboration resulting with a song on their coming album "Immersion".
Taken from Wikipedia:
"In an interview with Pendulum frontman Rob Swire, it is confirmed that In Flames is a collaborator for Pendulum's third studio album, Immersion. Before this interview, it was hinted in an image which showed some of the members of In Flames in Pendulum's studio with Rob Swire and bass guitarist Gareth McGrillen, which started speculation. The song has been revealed to be titled "Self versus Self"."
The release-date for this album is set to be May 24th.

About a new-album themselves:
"According to an update on their official website, posted February 24th, 2010. They are taking a break right now to spend time with families and prepare for their two festivals next summer whilst also slowly writing songs for a new album."

;)

All the tracks on the Mirrors Truth Ep could have easily replaced songs on the album, all great songs.

Interesting updates, but I think I'm right when it might be a while for the new material.  :sad:

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2010, 07:58:50 AM »
I just listened to Clayman again yesterday.  So good and so surpisingly melodic   :metal
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2010, 11:50:09 AM »
Sountrack is definitely IF's weakest album (well, except the debut IMO). The other three albums in the newer style have been really solid; RtR is one of their best albums and ASoP was great as well.

Screw the haters. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 04:17:29 PM »
I agree that Soundtrack is one of their Weakest efforts. However I like a lot songs like Touch of Red, In Search for I, My Sweet Shadow and Evil in a Closet (Which starts pretty weak but has an incredible solo and an awesome chorus). Don't like the resto of the songs though. If someone asks me what album is better between this and ASoP I'd say it's a draw. I like 4 songs of ASoP and I like 4 songs of this album.

EDIT: It is no longer a draw. I didn't remember I also like Superhero of the Computer Rage from STYE.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2010, 05:12:12 PM »
How about The Quiet Place?
I AM A GUY

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2010, 07:22:06 PM »
How about The Quiet Place?
Badass song right there.

ASOP isn't that bad, at least not as bad as everyone says it is. The Chosen Pessimist, The Mirror's Truth, and I'm The Highway are pretty damn sick.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2010, 07:49:47 PM »
They're one of those bands I like initially, but by the 3rd or 4th song I get too bored to continue. For example, I have the Jester Race but I've never listened to it all the way through. Moonshield is awesome, but after that I get more uninterested with every song.

Would Clayman or Whoracle suit me any better?
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
  • There's so much more to see in the darkest places
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2010, 07:59:20 PM »
They're one of those bands I like initially, but by the 3rd or 4th song I get too bored to continue. For example, I have the Jester Race but I've never listened to it all the way through. Moonshield is awesome, but after that I get more uninterested with every song.

Would Clayman or Whoracle suit me any better?

Get Clayman
My Soundclick Page

I can just sense Gwii hiding in the bushes with a knife between his teeth.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2010, 05:41:44 AM »
Sountrack is definitely IF's weakest album (well, except the debut IMO). The other three albums in the newer style have been really solid; RtR is one of their best albums and ASoP was great as well.

Screw the haters. :P

:metal

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2010, 02:34:41 PM »
We should do an In Flames survivor.
I AM A GUY

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2010, 02:56:29 PM »
The chosen Pessimist is my favourite In Flames song :)

The only songs that I like on Soundtrack are My Sweet Shadow and The Quiet Place - which admittedly are both AMAZING, but the rest is so zzzzz. Oh, except for F(r)iend when done live. The chorus is so bruuutal! :metal I love how Anders does it much much deeper.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2010, 03:47:46 PM »
We should do an In Flames survivor.

Yes.