Author Topic: In Flames  (Read 76022 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: In Flames
« Reply #595 on: December 17, 2022, 08:41:54 PM »
What's even harder to watch for me is that they cut out the iconic Frederik Johansson solo on it, that really made the song.  I don't know if Bjorn has the chops to play it even now (though I'm sure Broderick does), but certainly not then, much less Jesper or Glenn.  They were kind of curious in being one of the best, yet least virtuosic bands, like Opeth in those days. 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 08:51:14 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #596 on: January 15, 2023, 11:43:25 PM »
Another strong single, Meet Your Maker. Still can't believe how promising this album is looking.

https://open.spotify.com/track/2IbVz0ruQmJhpLYfojQfOg?si=KHJsRAs-TfKajRbx79UJ8A

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #597 on: January 17, 2023, 03:55:26 AM »
That one definitely has some Reroute vibes to my ears.  Not bad at all.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #598 on: January 17, 2023, 04:18:55 AM »
Not that it matters that much because all the singles has been top quality including this one but I do feel this is the weakest imo.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #599 on: January 17, 2023, 09:26:29 AM »
It's definitely a step up from a lot of the material on the last few albums.  I still don't like Anders' vocals, and the production remains a bit sterile, particularly on the guitars.  They said that The Halo Effect forming had no influence on the direction of this album, which to me seems more and more like a blatant lie with each new track.  I'm still not used to them having such a technically capable guitarist in Broderick.  I had to go through the same process with Akesson in Opeth and Eriksson and Ojersson in Katatonia. 

Offline billboy73

« Reply #600 on: January 17, 2023, 10:34:43 AM »
I like this one too.  I just keep getting more and more excited for this album to finally drop. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #601 on: January 17, 2023, 02:39:32 PM »
Not that it matters that much because all the singles has been top quality including this one but I do feel this is the weakest imo.

I actually thought the last one was the weakest, the more ballad Moonshield sounding one.  Even though it had that old Jester rip off kind of thing going, that was just something that could have been on the last couple of albums.

It's definitely a step up from a lot of the material on the last few albums.  I still don't like Anders' vocals, and the production remains a bit sterile, particularly on the guitars.  They said that The Halo Effect forming had no influence on the direction of this album, which to me seems more and more like a blatant lie with each new track.  I'm still not used to them having such a technically capable guitarist in Broderick.  I had to go through the same process with Akesson in Opeth and Eriksson and Ojersson in Katatonia. 

I thought this new song was nice but the Broderick solo just sounded........wrong.  I'm happy to get used to it though but it stopped sounding like In Flames as soon as he started soloing.  That's just initial impressions though from one listen so it may change.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #602 on: February 10, 2023, 09:56:52 AM »
Okay, so I'm a listen in, and I'm digging the stuff we haven't heard yet.  I have been hearing the best stuff on the album is the stuff that has already been released.  I kinda agree with that, but most of the other stuff is good too. Love that they opened with an intro piece in The Beginning of All Things as well.  Pure Light of Mind is the only track I'm not really digging on the first go.  It's a ballad, and I'm not into Anders' vocals on it that much.  It's okay though...

Overall, I really like Foregone.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #603 on: February 10, 2023, 10:12:18 AM »
I like the album too - I stopped listening to the band after Reroute to Remain.  This won't make my best of 2023 list, but I'm happy hearing some return to that older style that I love. 

Offline Glasser

« Reply #604 on: February 10, 2023, 06:22:50 PM »
Absolutely loving the new album.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #605 on: February 11, 2023, 01:38:32 AM »
I thought the days of me enjoying a new In Flames album were long behind me. Two listens down (and multiple listens to the singles on the run up) and I'm really enjoying this!

Offline nick_z

« Reply #606 on: February 12, 2023, 10:18:16 AM »
Yep, this is quite enjoyable...on its own merits, really. Meaning, it doesn't sound to me it's so much of a return to their early roots (except perhaps a few more aggressive and faster-paced songs), rather a return to form, where the songs are just better to my ears. More interesting and dynamic, overall.

Although, to be fair, I didn't follow much of they've been doing since, um, A Sense of Purpose, I think.

To me the Subterranean/The Jester Race combo is truly iconic, just all-around unbelievably good stuff that brings back great memories. Whoracle, in an "objective" sense, is a record that's very much in line with the style on The Jester Race and it's fantastic, although it's not quite as iconic in my book. Then Colony was excellent too, just a tad less inspired (imo). Same with Clayman - I actually appreciated how they were starting to expand their sound palette a bit.

Reroute to Remain is an interesting case - I LOVED it when it came out. The attempts to "modernize" the songwriting (and the sound) were obvious, but I really enjoyed it. However, with more recent revisits, I felt it didn't age super-well. Or maybe it's me that aged  ;D I still like it, but not as much. Soundtrack to my Escape, on the other hand, truly disappointed me at the time. Largely fell flat. As for Come Clarity...I know it's pretty widely appreciated (here on the DTF too, I think), and was welcomed as a return to form upon release...but while I think it's a good record, I never really connected with it. In fact, like I said before, it sort of coincided with the time when I stopped closely following the band's music.

Most of the stuff I came across from the records following CC didn't interest me enough to explore more...I'm pretty sure I've listened to the albums here and there, but not more than that.

Glad that Foregone reignited some of that interest  :)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #607 on: February 12, 2023, 11:40:08 AM »
Wow, I'm pleasantly surprised.  This is definitely the best In Flames album since...I'm not sure, but well over a decade.  I had no urge at all to revisit the last five after first hearing them, but I'll probably give this multiple listens.  It's still nowhere near their best sequence of albums, but in parts it does go back to some of their better traits, and avoids some of their worst.  Friden is still not a good vocalist, but he's processed enough in parts that he's not always as obnoxious as he'd become. 

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #608 on: February 14, 2023, 04:00:52 PM »
Finally got around to listening to the album, and....wow. Maybe I need to review their catalogue again, but I can't think of a better album from the swedes. Stellar guitar work, melodic rhythms, and hooks being thrown around like a 12-round heavyweight boxing match. I think Anders' vocals are good. Better than the last 4 or 5 releases, that's for sure. Still won't pay to see them live again, but I'll spin this record a whole bunch this year, I reckon.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #609 on: February 14, 2023, 04:09:32 PM »
Revisited Battles. I like it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #610 on: February 14, 2023, 04:12:13 PM »
I'll get around to this new one eventually.  Great to hear such great positivity again for these guys.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #611 on: February 14, 2023, 04:18:36 PM »
I'll get around to this new one eventually.  Great to hear such great positivity again for these guys.

It really kicks ass Kade! . Has a lot of energy,! Great songwriting.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #612 on: February 14, 2023, 07:42:36 PM »

Just throw it on the Air Pods during your next run,  and let it carry you to some PRs

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #613 on: February 15, 2023, 02:08:35 AM »
I can't stop spinning this! Early album of the year contender, and I'd be very surprised if it doesn't make my top 10 of the year. It's a real return to form, and just a pleasure to listen to.

I think it's particularly front loaded, as the run of State of Slow Decay to Foregone Pt. 2 is really good.

They have written some really solid choruses this time around, especially Bleeding Out, and I love many of the vocal hooks.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #614 on: February 15, 2023, 03:35:16 AM »

Just throw it on the Air Pods during your next run,  and let it carry you to some PRs

Not a bad idea actually! I need to ad some more tunes on my phone.  :metal

Offline billboy73

« Reply #615 on: February 15, 2023, 10:28:52 AM »

I gave this one a listen last night, and I just cannot get into it.  It had been awhile since I had given it a spin. There are a few of decent songs, but I prefer I, the Mask to Battles.  That said, those are the bottom 2 albums in their catalog for me.

I really am into Foregone though.  For me, it is their best since A Sense of Purpose.  I've always thought Bjorn was a great riff writer and underrated guitar player.  Even the 2 bottom albums I mentioned above have some solid riffs to be found.  This album has some great riffs all over it, and Broderick has some nice spots on Foregone as well.  Anders is definitely more dynamic on this record, and I like his vocals way better than those last 2 albums.  Out of the songs that were not released before the album, I think In the Dark is my favorite.  Bleeding Out is great too though.  Foregone will definitely be in my listening rotation for some time to come.   

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #616 on: February 15, 2023, 10:52:06 AM »
My favorite deep cut from the album is The Great Deceiver. Just love that track! And A Dialogue in B Minor has really grown on me over the last few listens. Great album overall, and, as twosuitluke says, early album of the year contender. Although, I'm hoping the new Avenged Sevenfold album takes that mantle when it finally gets released.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #617 on: February 15, 2023, 01:17:36 PM »

I gave this one a listen last night, and I just cannot get into it.  It had been awhile since I had given it a spin. There are a few of decent songs, but I prefer I, the Mask to Battles.  That said, those are the bottom 2 albums in their catalog for me.

I really am into Foregone though.  For me, it is their best since A Sense of Purpose.  I've always thought Bjorn was a great riff writer and underrated guitar player.  Even the 2 bottom albums I mentioned above have some solid riffs to be found.  This album has some great riffs all over it, and Broderick has some nice spots on Foregone as well.  Anders is definitely more dynamic on this record, and I like his vocals way better than those last 2 albums.  Out of the songs that were not released before the album, I think In the Dark is my favorite.  Bleeding Out is great too though.  Foregone will definitely be in my listening rotation for some time to come.

I didn't like it originally but for some reason it clicked this time.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #618 on: February 15, 2023, 03:15:55 PM »
Both Battles and I, The Mask aren't great.  I actually think I, The Mask is their weakest record in the whole catalog.  I was in the minority though and loved Siren Charms.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #619 on: February 15, 2023, 07:41:39 PM »
As I said a few posts ago, for me the whole run between A Sense of Purpose and I, the Mask is a big blur...some albums I don't even think I checked out in their entirety.

Perhaps I should give those a try. I understand that the consensus is that they are not very strong (especially compared to what came before)...but anything you guys deem relatively more worthy? Wolfking - you seem to appreciate Siren Charms...anything else?

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #620 on: February 16, 2023, 12:13:08 AM »
Yea, A Sense of Purpose was the last album I truly loved, it was a decline over the next 4 albums for sure.

I actually didn't mind Sounds of a Playground Fading too much, and it's easily the best out of those 4, for me. I particularly love the song Liberation  :metal

I remember trying hard with Siren Charms, but not really finding anything I liked on it. I've probably only heard Battles and Mask 2 or 3 times, and I can't remember anything about them.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #621 on: February 16, 2023, 12:21:47 AM »
Tastes are a fascinating thing. For me, A Sense of Purpose is one of their weakest along with Soundtrack to Your Escape and Siren Charms. A couple of fantastic songs in each, but the rest I find pretty bland and forgettable.

All their other albums from Reroute onwards I find pretty excellent, including the new one which is really great, could even be the best of the lot but it's far too early to tell.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #622 on: February 16, 2023, 12:22:38 AM »
Clayman is the most recent In Flames album I’ve listened to lol but I’m gonna give the new one a listen.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #623 on: February 16, 2023, 12:28:29 AM »
Clayman is the most recent In Flames album I’ve listened to lol but I’m gonna give the new one a listen.
Their sound has changed rather a lot since then. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #624 on: February 16, 2023, 12:32:41 AM »
Their sound has changed rather a lot since then. :lol

Oh I’ve heard some songs but I didn’t care for them.

But I’ve heard the first 3 tracks from the new one and liked them.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 12:40:26 AM by NoseofNicko »

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #625 on: February 16, 2023, 12:54:22 AM »
Tastes are a fascinating thing. For me, A Sense of Purpose is one of their weakest along with Soundtrack to Your Escape and Siren Charms. A couple of fantastic songs in each, but the rest I find pretty bland and forgettable.

All their other albums from Reroute onwards I find pretty excellent, including the new one which is really great, could even be the best of the lot but it's far too early to tell.

Yea it's weird, and often a comment more on where my personal music tastes are at the time an album releases. A Sense of Purpose came out when I was possibly at the height of my love for the band, so I was probably already 'sold' on the album in my mind. My love had started to wane by the time Sound of a Playground Fading came out, and even more so with the release of the other three.

As for Soundtrack to Your Escape, it's not my favourite but the first In Flames song I ever heard was My Sweet Shadow, which got me into them in the first place so.

Anyway, I'll chuck out an early album ranking...

1. Clayman
2. Come Clarity
3. Colony
4. Foregone
5. A Sense of Purpose
6. Soundtrack to Your Escape
7. Reroute to Remain
8. Lunar Strain
9. The Jester Race
10. Subterranean
11. Sounds of a Playground Fading
12. Whoracle
13. Siren Charms
14. Battles
15. I, The Mask

Yea I'm pretty happy with that as an early ranking. I'll probably get shit for ranking The Jester Race Sounds low but it's never done much for me.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #626 on: February 16, 2023, 03:30:43 AM »
Ooh ranking time. Some of these are very close together and can swap round at times, like the top 2, but mine would be something like this:

1. Colony
2. Clayman
3. Reroute to Remain
4. Foregone (TENTATIVE - could move up one or down one or two)
5. Come Clarity
6. Whoracle
7. Sounds of a Playground Fading
8. I, The Mask
9. Battles
10. A Sense of Purpose
11. The Jester Race
12. Siren Charms
13. Soundtrack to Your Escape
14. Lunar Strain/Subterranean

I be am boner inducing.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #627 on: February 16, 2023, 04:24:15 AM »
As I said a few posts ago, for me the whole run between A Sense of Purpose and I, the Mask is a big blur...some albums I don't even think I checked out in their entirety.

Perhaps I should give those a try. I understand that the consensus is that they are not very strong (especially compared to what came before)...but anything you guys deem relatively more worthy? Wolfking - you seem to appreciate Siren Charms...anything else?

I've been pretty much an In Flames fanboy for a while now.  But they did lose me with Battles.  I thought Playground was quite tremendous but I'm with Rich in thinking that ASOP and Soundtrack are bottom tier.

Top 3 for me would be Jester, Reroute and Come Clarity.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #628 on: February 16, 2023, 05:46:00 AM »
Ooh ranking time. Some of these are very close together and can swap round at times, like the top 2, but mine would be something like this:

1. Colony
2. Clayman
3. Reroute to Remain
4. Foregone (TENTATIVE - could move up one or down one or two)
5. Come Clarity
6. Whoracle
7. Sounds of a Playground Fading
8. I, The Mask
9. Battles
10. A Sense of Purpose
11. The Jester Race
12. Siren Charms
13. Soundtrack to Your Escape
14. Lunar Strain/Subterranean

Rich, your ranking is potentially more controversial than mine  :lol Nick may have an attack of apoplexy upon seeing this!

Some of mine are pretty close also. My top 3 are locked in (at least at the moment) although Foregone has the chance to move up.

A Sense of Purpose, Soundtrack to Your Escape and Reroute to Remain are all so close they're basically joint 5th.

I'm enjoying diving back into the band after having years of listening to very little by the band.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #629 on: February 16, 2023, 05:59:56 AM »
Rich, your ranking is potentially more controversial than mine  :lol Nick may have an attack of apoplexy upon seeing this!
:lol

Presumably the pre-Whoracle albums ranking so low? Jester Race is OK but the debut & EP I just don't enjoy at all.

I be am boner inducing.