Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 444337 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Haken v. Vector (Oct. 26)
« Reply #3150 on: October 29, 2018, 01:50:31 PM »
The more I listen to this album, the more I hear a "Dream Theater" sound in the music. I'm really digging this album but I keep thinking it's Dream Theater with Ross singing.

I get that feeling from lots of their songs, definitely on Vector too.  I don't think it's too much like DT to be a turn off, but it feels like they have been inspired by them in their music overall though.  Which is cool with me being a huge DT fan.  I like it, feels more fresh than DT. 

Also, we already have DT with Ross, the Mike Portnoy Shattered Fortress show was really good with him singing.  I liked it much more than I thought I would.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3151 on: October 29, 2018, 02:00:48 PM »
I see so much mention of djent, am I the only person here who isn't really hearing more than a couple short djent-y moments on this album?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3152 on: October 29, 2018, 02:02:15 PM »
I see so much mention of djent, am I the only person here who isn't really hearing more than a couple short djent-y moments on this album?

I don't hear djent too, I like the album.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3153 on: October 29, 2018, 02:13:48 PM »
Don’t think this has been mentioned enough, so I have to say it again: Ray is the MVP on Vector. #JusticeForRay
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3154 on: October 29, 2018, 02:15:26 PM »
Don’t think this has been mentioned enough, so I have to say it again: Ray is the MVP on Vector. #JusticeForRay

I'd agree. He shines in Nil By Mouth.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3155 on: October 29, 2018, 02:33:45 PM »
I've been away for two days and haven't had the opportunity to listen to Vector during my time off. Now that I came back to it, it sounds much better. The Good doctor / Puzzle box / Veil is quite a streak of songs. I already like the album better than Affinity, which was very underwhelming to me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3156 on: October 29, 2018, 02:36:41 PM »
The Good doctor / Puzzle box / Veil is quite a streak of songs.

Totally agree. Kind of another reason why I don't think it tops other albums though, from Veil on, the album goes a bit downhill for me.  Doesn't fall off the cliff, but doesn't reach new highs after that awesome threesome.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3157 on: October 29, 2018, 02:57:22 PM »
Nope. Nil By Mouth is pretty djenty, and then there's the odd little moment elsewhere but that's it. I think it's mostly people who don't like/listen to djent who hear the influence at all and think it's the whole album (like how The Astonishing was entirely ballads).

Also surprised by the DT comparisons in a way. I mean Veil has some VERY DT-esque stuff, and there's one short section in Puzzle Box as well (the 2nd verse) but otherwise I don't hear any DT at all. So a similar amount to their last two albums.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3158 on: October 29, 2018, 03:21:51 PM »
Funny you mention DT Rich.  I was thinking Vector is their TOT album.  Just the heavy aspect of it.  Not stylistically.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3159 on: October 29, 2018, 03:23:46 PM »
Yeah, Veil is as overtly DT-like as I think they've ever sounded.
Photobucket sucks.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3160 on: October 29, 2018, 04:03:56 PM »
Yeah, Veil is as overtly DT-like as I think they've ever sounded.
Sure, but no more so than they've sounded before. It's really similar to The Architect, including the DT influence (although to be honest I prefer Veil).

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3161 on: October 29, 2018, 04:15:38 PM »
I'm only a couple spins into it, but will give this album its just due.  Lots of things going on in this record.  Interesting.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3162 on: October 29, 2018, 05:40:43 PM »
Now that you guys mention it, the DT-influence gets more and more prominent the more I hear it, and given the band's participation in Portnoy's Shattered Fortress, it definitely makes sense why they might take inspiration from those songs and music and use it to mold the songs for Vector.

As for the album itself, I've given it a few good listen, and couple passive ones, and I have to say, it's grown on me. When I first heard it, nothing grabbed me quite like anything on their first four albums - it just sort of existed. Now that I've gotten more time with it, I think I like it a bit more, but there haven't been many standout moments on it for me yet, just good parts and a good vibe throughout the whole album. With albums like Visions and Affinity, and especially the Mountain, the songs tend to stand out and stand apart, while still contributing to the whole album, but with Vector, it just feels like everything blends together for me so far. Maybe in a couple of weeks, I'll get more used to the individual songs and recognize them apart from each other.

It's not BAD, per se, but it hasn't wow'ed me like Affinity did when it came out.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3163 on: October 29, 2018, 08:18:30 PM »
I will echo the idea that this feels a bit like Affinity's "heavier little brother".    Some songs are better, some others don't quite match up.

The opening is better.   I grew to love Initiate, but I still think it's the weak link from Affinity.  The Good Doctor is a FAR better opener, and grabs you right away.    Puzzle Box is good...but it's no 1984.    I'm over the moon about Veil and think that it's quite a bit better than The Architect.    Nil By Mouth is the odd one out.  A great instrumental, but it doesn't feel like anything from Affinity that I can think of.   Possibly some resemblance to the instrumental version of The Endless Knot...but that's a stretch.    The album closes pretty good, but I agree that it feels a bit like a drop off.    Affinity has the best closer in the entire catalog, so I'm not sure anything will ever touch that in my book.

Vector opens stronger, Affinity closes stronger.     As a whole, it's a push.     Both are great albums.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3164 on: October 29, 2018, 08:22:34 PM »
I will echo the idea that this feels a bit like Affinity's "heavier little brother".    Some songs are better, some others don't quite match up.

The opening is better.   I grew to love Initiate, but I still think it's the weak link from Affinity.  The Good Doctor is a FAR better opener, and grabs you right away.    Puzzle Box is good...but it's no 1984.    I'm over the moon about Veil and think that it's quite a bit better than The Architect.    Nil By Mouth is the odd one out.  A great instrumental, but it doesn't feel like anything from Affinity that I can think of.   Possibly some resemblance to the instrumental version of The Endless Knot...but that's a stretch.    The album closes pretty good, but I agree that it feels a bit like a drop off.    Affinity has the best closer in the entire catalog, so I'm not sure anything will ever touch that in my book.

Vector opens stronger, Affinity closes stronger.     As a whole, it's a push.     Both are great albums.

Sure, it's not a Van Halen song, but is it a "1985"?  :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3165 on: October 29, 2018, 08:25:50 PM »
After a few more listens, Puzzle Box and Veil are the clear standouts.  Veil took some time, but I am really liking that one now.  I love how the keyboard does that really cool understated lead under the riffing during what I would call the main theme, and then near the end the guitar does that theme almost as a solo. Very cool.

I just wish the rest of the album was as strong as those two songs.

One thing is for certain: the album sounds awesome.  Those guitar tones are absolutely killer.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3166 on: October 29, 2018, 09:10:14 PM »

The opening is better.   I grew to love Initiate, but I still think it's the weak link from Affinity.  The Good Doctor is a FAR better opener, and grabs you right away.    Puzzle Box is good...but it's no 1984.    I'm over the moon about Veil and think that it's quite a bit better than The Architect.    Nil By Mouth is the odd one out.  A great instrumental, but it doesn't feel like anything from Affinity that I can think of.   Possibly some resemblance to the instrumental version of The Endless Knot...but that's a stretch.    The album closes pretty good, but I agree that it feels a bit like a drop off.    Affinity has the best closer in the entire catalog, so I'm not sure anything will ever touch that in my book.

Sure, it's not a Van Halen song, but is it a "1985"?  :lol

-Marc.

DOH!!!! :facepalm: :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #3167 on: October 29, 2018, 09:33:48 PM »
I love every second of the album, it just really disappoints me that it's so short. If this album was ~20 minutes longer and used that to fix the odd pacing it would probably be my favorite, provided it maintained the same level of quality. And half the songs were already released as singles, which made the whole listening experience less powerful imo.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3168 on: October 30, 2018, 06:46:02 AM »
As soon as it kicked in, the first time I heard the guitar solo in Veil, one word immediately sprang to mind: Petrucci.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #3169 on: October 30, 2018, 10:41:12 AM »
So, a few days after the initial hype/expectation has worn off, I'm listening to Vector again. I think I enjoy it a bit more now. Veil, Host, and Puzzle Box are probably my three favorites, but there each track has something that I like. So, consider my previous 6/10 changed to a 7/10. It still doesn't replace Affinity as my favorite Haken album, but altogether, it is still quite good.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3170 on: October 30, 2018, 12:23:54 PM »
Finally had the chance to listen to this thing, as my pre-order arrived today. One listen in and I'm not feeling this one at all. I'm quite underwhelmed. Veil and especially Nil By Mouth struck me as actually bad, which is not exactly a nice thing to say. Host was enjoyable, as was The Good Doctor, the other two (three if you count Clear, which I thought was an awesome opener) are 'alright' at best right now. Keep in mind this is after one listen. I can hear a lot if interesting stuff going on, but nothing has really grabbed me yet.

Rankings, because we do that shit at DTF:

1. The Good Doctor
2. Host
3. Clear
4. A Cell Divides
5. Puzzle Box
6. Veil
7. Nil by Mouth
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3171 on: October 30, 2018, 12:58:10 PM »
Okay, a bit controversial opinion but here's my ranking:
1. Puzzle Box
2. Nil By Mouth
3. The Good Doctor
4. Veil

5. A Cell Divides

6. Host
7. Clear
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3172 on: October 30, 2018, 12:59:27 PM »
1. Puzzle Box
2. The Good Doctor
3. Veil
4. A Cell Divides
5. Host
6. Nil By Mouth
7. Clear
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3173 on: October 30, 2018, 01:06:10 PM »
1. Host
2. Veil
3. Puzzle Box
4. A Cell Divides
5. The Good Doctor
6. Nil By Mouth
7. Clear
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #3174 on: October 30, 2018, 01:15:18 PM »
I'm glad to see some appreciation for Clear as an intro. Openers of that kind are often throwaway tracks (remember affinity.exe), but Clear is surprisingly enjoyable on its own.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3175 on: October 30, 2018, 01:55:11 PM »
I like Clear and particularly the way it uses one of the themes from Host, but I wouldn't say I love it. It's definitely pretty cheesy in a theme-park-rollercoaster-queue sort of way.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #3176 on: October 30, 2018, 02:25:01 PM »
...theme-park-rollercoaster-queue sort of way.
Say, have you heard of Haken? They are famous for their circus music :corn

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3177 on: October 30, 2018, 02:37:24 PM »

You really don't know who you are talking to don't you.  LOL  Get ready to have your mind blown. :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3178 on: October 30, 2018, 02:55:45 PM »

You really don't know who you are talking to don't you.  LOL  Get ready to have your mind blown. :lol
Pretty sure he does know and was joking around.

And yeah the stuff that gets described as "circus music" on Aquarius I also find quite cheesy.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3179 on: October 30, 2018, 03:28:57 PM »
 :lol

Well damn.  He typed that with a straight face! :lol
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 03:35:12 PM by kingshmegland »

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3180 on: October 30, 2018, 03:30:46 PM »
I love Clear. I think it could have been improved with some samples of people screaming and such, basically the scene described with the first few lines of The Good Doctor.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3181 on: October 30, 2018, 08:24:35 PM »
Clear is a cool intro, but it feels weird to rank it amongst the other songs. 

Also, first night of the tour is tonight! Someone please post the set list. :hat

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3182 on: October 30, 2018, 08:51:58 PM »
Also, first night of the tour is tonight! Someone please post the set list. :hat

Yes! Very interested to see what’s the setlist :corn
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #3183 on: October 30, 2018, 09:34:27 PM »
(From Reddit, I wasn't at the show)

Clear

The Good Doctor

Falling Back To Earth

Puzzle Box

Nil By Mouth

Veil

Encore: Crystalized

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3184 on: October 30, 2018, 10:06:39 PM »
Seven songs?  At an hour-ten that's pretty weak.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson