Author Topic: Rate my friends new music (it would be greatly appreciated)  (Read 415 times)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Hey guys, as we all know DTF is an amazing place full of people with really eclectic music tastes. I personally value the opinions of so many who post here, above music critics and magazines etc. That being said I'd love for you all to do me a favour.

A friend of mine has been gigging hard and been in bands for years. His band Broken Jaw (in which he is the sole surviving original member) have been going for about 10 years, and have just released their first single from their upcoming debut album.

They've been getting some traction the last few years and have been sponsored by Fireball whiskey and signed to Dez Fafara's (of DevilDriver fame) record label.

If you guys could give a listen and then post your opinions it would be greatly appreciated. If you do like it then please share as he's worked hard and is hopefully at the point where the band might break.

Here's the song https://open.spotify.com/track/5SMznGkt3Nf3eDTYNFvbUH?si=AmaMsvvJTDOGxBbx9IYvVw&utm_source=copy-link

Let me know what you think.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Rate my friends new music (it would be greatly appreciated)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 07:36:55 AM »
It's pretty good; well-played.  I like the drum pattern in the verses, especially when it comes out of the double-bass lick; there's a beat there that's not repeated later in the breakdown.   The guitars are good, if a shade nondescript.  Almost 90% of the time, when I hear an up and coming band that is trying to get to the next level, the weak point is...  the vocals.  And that's no different here.  I'm not a fan of the growls, but I get it, it's a part of music, and I can accept it for what it is.  Here, it's tastefully done, and along with the repeated double bass riff, gives the song a sort of schizo-phrenic quality, in a good way.  It's the Green Day-ish, punk-ish (which is my touch stone; yours may be different) clean vocals that sort of ruin it for me.  I'd have to hear this song in the context of an album or setlist to see what the intended direction is.  I'm not a huge fan of affected singing, unless it's part of a bigger picture and I can't get this from the one song.

Offline T-ski

Re: Rate my friends new music (it would be greatly appreciated)
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 08:28:00 AM »
Sorry, not my style, couldn’t make it thirty seconds.

Hopefully the right audience gives you the feedback you’re looking for.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?