Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 441539 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Haken v. Vector (Oct. 26)
« Reply #3045 on: October 24, 2018, 10:53:11 AM »
There ya go!

My top 5 Haken tunes is pretty firm now (in no specific order):

Celestial Elixir
Visions
Somebody
Crystallized (shut it, Joe :P)

It seems like Cockroach King, Falling Back to Earth and Pareidolia get the most love, and I get why (yes, I have come around to liking CK because the music is so good, vocals are still annoying to me at times on that one), but I think Somebody beats them all.  The climax in that song is  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy.

LOL  Crystallized is my #1 Haken song!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3046 on: October 24, 2018, 11:09:32 AM »
I have no idea who is or isn't more popular, but Leprous has a youtube video with 1.7 million views, a million more than Haken's best video.  Judging by shows listed on setlist.fm both bands have played around 50 times in the US as well.  Leprous is new to me, but it seems like they are on fairly even ground with maybe an argument for Leprous actually?  I'd love to know for sure who is headlining the NYC show.
Yeah, I'd really like a better idea of how they are working this. My hunch is that Haken "headlines," simply because the tour artwork is clearly Haken dominant. Still, it really wouldn't bug me any if Leprous went on last (presuming equal time, of course). I've been unable to get into them at all, so if I wanted to skip them at one or more of their shows it'd be a whole lot easier that way.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3047 on: October 24, 2018, 03:28:01 PM »
Assuming equal time I'd LOVE Haken on before Leprous, would mean after hours of no drinks and standing up front I could grab a drink and hang in the back to end the night.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3048 on: October 24, 2018, 03:33:04 PM »
I'm only going to one show so actually wouldn't care too much since I want to catch both bands full sets, but since I like Haken more and am more familiar, I'd rather them headline.

Speaking of the one show, NYC, I know a bunch of DTFers will likely be there, we doing a pre-show meet up or anything?  Since it's a Saturday that seems pretty easy to make happen.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3049 on: October 25, 2018, 03:18:35 AM »
I'm hoping this album is up on Spotify as soon as midnight turns  :metal

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3050 on: October 25, 2018, 06:57:30 AM »
Tomorrow, it happens! :caffeine:

As is my tradition on the evening before a new album is released, I'll listen to the previous album, in this case Affinity, later.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3051 on: October 25, 2018, 10:38:43 AM »
Tickets secured for the February show in Hamburg!

Can't wait to listen to the new album tomorrow. If the three released songs are any indication, I should love this.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Estiui

« Reply #3052 on: October 25, 2018, 11:38:27 AM »
I've just listened to the whole album for the first time. I know it'll grow on me, as always. However, I'm pretty sure that in a couple of months, when I'll have listened to the album around 50 times, I'll still think that it's the worst Haken record to date. Let me explain.

Haken is my favorite band, by far. They have always managed to create that magic atmosphere where heavyness, softness and weird moments have their own space. Hell, even they introduced electronic bits in The Mountain and Affinity. Even more, they always created unique melodies that stick to my head, probably forever. I still think The Mountain is the best album I've ever heard. If The Mountain is a 10, Affinity is a 9.5 and Visions and Aquarius are a 9.

However, I feel that Vector has lost softness, weird/funny moments and melodic greatness, which have been present in every single Haken record. Vector sounds like pure pointless tech metal to me. It is the first Haken record ever that does not have at least 3 or 4 bits of the songs that catch my attention strongly on the first listen. I'd say more. If Ross' voice weren't so familiar, I could say that this album is not from Haken.

Of course I'll let the album grow and I'm sure I'll eventually like it, but I'll still be disappointed with the album, even more when compared to all they've done previously.

When the first single came out, I remember thinking "The Good Doctor is a good, catchy song. It's ok for a single as Initiate was, but I hope this is the worst song in the album". Now I think it's the best, and by far.

Haken, I love you. And you know that. I've told you on the road, I've thanked Richard mainly for creating the best piece of art I've ever heard. And because you can do such great things, I am disappointed and sad.

PD: this is just my subjective opinion, and I really hope you guys like Vector more than I do.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3053 on: October 25, 2018, 12:00:27 PM »
Interesting review. I have only heard The Good Doctor once and refrained from listening to the other singles. I hope the vinyl arrives in the mail tomorrow, so that I can listen to it. I'm pretty sure it will be enjoyable, but have read similar comments to yours up here about the album. Looks like Vector will be different than their other records. Could swing both ways I suppose.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #3054 on: October 25, 2018, 12:06:14 PM »
I feel similar but to a softer degree. It still sounds distinctly Haken to me, but it is very focused on one half of their repertoire. Vector is a bit like the first half of "Drowning in the Flood" without the second half.
I don't agree on the "pointless tech metal" label though. "Nil by Mouth" gets close, but by being the only song on the album that's pure djent it stands out and sort of "has a point" ;)

It is still one of the more interesting albums I've heard this year, but will probably end up as my least favourite Haken album in the long run.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3055 on: October 25, 2018, 12:22:20 PM »
I don't know, less "softness, weird/funny moments" seems like it might be up my alley.  I found the weird stuff on The Mountain to be what holds it back for me and why I find Visions to be their best since it's a bit more straight up prog metal without all the jazz and accapella stuff and electronic weirdness.   If that's what we will call it. 

Regardless, I wasn't really blown away by the 3 releases on my few listens so I think it's possible that it hits what I like about Haken without actually being their best output.  We will see.  Been listening to Visions and The Mountain a lot this week.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3056 on: October 25, 2018, 05:08:55 PM »
I'm hoping this album is up on Spotify as soon as midnight turns  :metal

It's up, giving the first spin now  :tup

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3057 on: October 26, 2018, 05:17:20 AM »
2nd listen in and I'm undecided. I only listened to The Good Doctor once and managed to resist the other singles. I thought it was fine but that was only one listen. It'll take some digesting and I'm certainly going to play the hell out of it.

Plenty of positives and I'm trying not to let others opinions influence mine. I have faith that I'll end up rating this highly as these guys haven't released a bad album as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3058 on: October 26, 2018, 06:00:12 AM »
First impression: 38 minutes of highly enjoyable music and Nil by Mouth.

Pro tip: punchlines in Puzzle Box and Veil both have the same cadence and the same amount of syllables. You can interchange them during your shower singing sessions.

Paralyzed
Staring through the shadows on the wall
There's no danger sleeping next to me

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3059 on: October 26, 2018, 06:05:31 AM »
One spin in...... gonna spin several more times...hopefully it's a grower.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3060 on: October 26, 2018, 06:07:08 AM »
Waiting on my pre-order.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3061 on: October 26, 2018, 06:11:10 AM »
Waiting on my pre-order.

I'm not even sure they shipped mine yet. No shipping notification so far.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3062 on: October 26, 2018, 06:38:06 AM »
I think it's funny that (I think? Correct me if I'm wrong) they advertised this as their 'metal album' - which it clearly is - but the best song after 2 listens to me is easily the least metal song. Host, seriously, wow.

Not quite wowed by this yet, but I'm sure it'll grow on me more. Nil By Mouth is bad, but everything else I can see getting better over time.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #3063 on: October 26, 2018, 07:03:55 AM »
I actually quite like the instrumental, it reminds me a bit of DT's Enigma Machine in that it's pretty much a vehicle to show off their chops. I don't mind that kind of thing every once in a while. Veil the pick of the bunch though. Decent song, that one.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3064 on: October 26, 2018, 07:06:35 AM »
Listened on my way into work so only one take in, I really like it, but it just feels short.  Veil is fantastic.  I'm not sure why there's so much hate for Nil, I mean, it's not some amazing song, but seems like a solid instrumental, I don't really have issues with it although I wish there was another track on this album to maybe make having an instrumental and an opening instrumental track feel like they belong a bit more.  Album just felt a bit rushed maybe, like there isn't much breathing room until Host and that is probably my least favorite track. 

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3065 on: October 26, 2018, 07:17:07 AM »
I LOVE  Nil By Mouth. It's absolutely brutal, fast, very well structured and totally kicks Enigma Machine's butt (sorry DT I love you but it's true) and it ESPECIALLY kicks Opus Maximus's butt. I don't know how MP could think OM compares to this.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3066 on: October 26, 2018, 07:19:37 AM »
I LOVE  Nil By Mouth. It's absolutely brutal, fast, very well structured and totally kicks Enigma Machine's butt (sorry DT I love you but it's true) and it ESPECIALLY kicks Opus Maximus's butt. I don't know how MP could think OM compares to this.

I actually agree with the Enigma Machine vibe, I was thinking it seemed similar to that as well, and I might also agree that it is better.  I only had one listen, hard to say, but I think it's also better than Opus Maximus, which I liked more than most people.  I feel like Nil would be sick to see live.

Online goo-goo

« Reply #3067 on: October 26, 2018, 07:24:02 AM »
Album just felt a bit rushed maybe, like there isn't much breathing room until Host and that is probably my least favorite track.

Kind of get the same feeling. But damn, Nil by Mouth is brutally sick!! Hopefully they'll play it live.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3068 on: October 26, 2018, 07:50:38 AM »
Maybe this was already hinted or acknowledged, I'm not sure, but does anyone else think the album is referencing some old songs? I'm hearing melodies similar to the ones in Cockroach king, Initiate and The Point of no return. It might be accidental, though. I'll try to spin it a few more times before I can give any timestamps.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #3069 on: October 26, 2018, 08:08:35 AM »
First listen of the album at work today, not 100% concentrated on the album, but Nil By Mouth is my favourite track until now and the one I want more to relisten soon.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3070 on: October 26, 2018, 08:16:31 AM »
I think it's funny that (I think? Correct me if I'm wrong) they advertised this as their 'metal album' - which it clearly is - but the best song after 2 listens to me is easily the least metal song. Host, seriously, wow.

I think Host is my early favourite too.

A Cell Divides feels very Leprous-like on the chorus, but I like it. In fact I like every song except the instrumental. Really hope they won't play it on tour, sorry goo-goo. :biggrin:

Also agree that the album feels short. I'd have liked one or two more songs.

Edit: oh, and Rich: any plans for another Haken Survivor now that the new album is out?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3071 on: October 26, 2018, 08:23:08 AM »
Good that you’re bringing it up! I used to start that thing in november, which is around the corner, so I might fire it up soon, yeah! :)
Squ

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3072 on: October 26, 2018, 09:06:23 AM »
One need only read this thread to see that Haken material rarely grabs me at first, but I am extremely underwhelmed by this album after several listens.  A Cell Divides, in particular, is bad.

Similar to Mladen, I am definitely hearing some melodies and tidbits that sound like older Haken material.

Hoping this will grow on me...

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3073 on: October 26, 2018, 09:17:24 AM »
Some first thoughts:

I get a lot of vibes from other Haken songs in many songs. The Good Doctor is solid. Great single. Puzzle Box I really enjoy. The beginning of the instrumental section is amazing. The Veil I need to listen to more to digest. Nil is dark and twisted. I actually enjoy most of it, and comparing it to Enigma Machine feels a bit like a disservice lol. Host is really sweet. A Cell Divides has an amazing idea; I just wish the parts other than that idea were slightly stronger.

I actually think it's a solid album. It's amazing that Haken has managed to write 5 solid and distinct sounding albums. This album will kick ass live.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3074 on: October 26, 2018, 09:17:52 AM »
Good to know I'm not the only one who's thrown off by A Cell divides. The chorus is quite unpleasant to listen to. On the plus side, there are some really cool parts in Puzzle box and Veil.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3075 on: October 26, 2018, 09:20:16 AM »
And yet I love the chorus to A Cell Divides. It seems like the song is....

Divisive. :lhk:

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3076 on: October 26, 2018, 09:23:10 AM »
Album just felt a bit rushed maybe, like there isn't much breathing room until Host and that is probably my least favorite track.

Kind of get the same feeling. But damn, Nil by Mouth is brutally sick!! Hopefully they'll play it live.

Maybe it's just my own weirdness, but I think NBM would actually make an awesome concert opener  :lol
any rock can be made to roll

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #3077 on: October 26, 2018, 09:27:38 AM »
At first listen, it's more than obvious that this work is much heavier than the previous albums, but I don't think it is any close of being generic.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #3078 on: October 26, 2018, 09:28:17 AM »
Love the album, as expected. Not sure where I’d rank it but it certainly doesn’t touch The Mountain for me. The Veil is fantastic and I’m a huge fan of Clear as well. The singles are still quite wonderful in the context of the album, but I honestly should’ve avoided them because the ratio of new content to music I had already digested was a bit disappointing.

I agree with the sentiments that a bit of the eclectic and unique vibes that the band really drew me in with are a bit more sparse or absent entirely, but as a stylistic choice I understand it. I just hope they don’t continue only in this direction for the future.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 09:38:44 AM by Heretic »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3079 on: October 26, 2018, 09:28:58 AM »
Yeah, I love A Cell Divides chorus.