Author Topic: DT14: not until 2019, but... Back to the roots!  (Read 13166 times)

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
Re: DT14: not until 2019, but... Back to the roots!
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2017, 02:16:28 AM »
Less metal, more on the softer side, please, for James's sake and the current age of the band. Play to your strengths and avoid trying to be metulll.

This.

Stop the metal madness  :tdwn

Seems that's what people were disliking about TA.  I'm guessing they are going to shoot for something similar to ADTOE.  Get their core fans excited again.  For me, I don't think it matters, I've loved everything they've produced so far.

The lack-of-metal and focus on the more melodic style of song-writing was one of the few things I actually liked about The Astonishing. What I didn't like about it was the fact it just wasn't very good.

But then I do accept that other fans loved it.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2017, 02:36:46 AM »
Personally, I hope they would go with a more metal direction if only because Mike Mangini's drumming shines best with a metal style. With a lot of melody so that he can have lots of room for orchestration. :p

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2017, 02:52:51 AM »
Something along the lines of ADTOE would be great, but with better drum production. I don't think they've quite nailed that yet.

I'd like to hear a nice balance of the metal elements, along with some of the more melodic ideas from TA.

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2017, 04:48:49 AM »
This isn't really that surprising tbh, and nothing we couldn't already predict. I'd say it was fairly obvious they'd go for a more traditional DT album after Astonishing. And not coming till 2019 is not a surprise either. If they start making this around May/June I'd predict a late Jan/early Feb 2019 release, with a single December 2018. Similar release pattern to the Astonishing, with a tour throughout 2019.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2017, 07:15:07 AM »
People didn't like TA because it sucked.

Seems constructive and respectful.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2017, 07:28:29 AM »

Though the comment accurately reflects my views of the album, I meant it mostly in jest/humour for this thread.  I didn't figure this was the place to be re-litigating the opinions of whether it's good or bad.   :-\
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2017, 07:35:01 AM »
I want them try something half FII-ish and half ToT-ish kind of album. Like, light and dark side album. To me, FII is a gem that most of the community seems to miss. FII is their root too.  :biggrin:
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2017, 08:01:59 AM »
Less metal, more on the softer side, please, for James's sake and the current age of the band. Play to your strengths and avoid trying to be metulll.

I didn't realize that DT had become a Yanni tribute band . .   :-(      Train of thought is in my top 3 of DT albums, but I skip  "Vacant" every time.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

• No Day But Today
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2017, 08:03:57 AM »

This.

Stop the metal madness  :tdwn

Seems that's what people were disliking about TA.  I'm guessing they are going to shoot for something similar to ADTOE.  Get their core fans excited again.  For me, I don't think it matters, I've loved everything they've produced so far.

TA was too metal??

No, People didn't like TA because it was not metal enough.  That was a common complaint I saw.

It's level of "metalness"  had nothing to do why I didn't care at all for TA.    It was the story.  I will refrain from describing it because that has gotten me in trouble in the past  :-)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

• No Day But Today
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2017, 08:05:12 AM »

Though the comment accurately reflects my views of the album, I meant it mostly in jest/humour for this thread.  I didn't figure this was the place to be re-litigating the opinions of whether it's good or bad.   :-\

Be careful.  I got myself in hot water by posting similar opinions, though with a bit more tact.   :-)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2017, 08:09:07 AM »

I didn't realize that DT had become a Yanni tribute band . .   :-(      Train of thought is in my top 3 of DT albums, but I skip  "Vacant" every time.

I know this is in jest, but I love Yanni and would LOVE for Jordan to do some stuff like that... :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online goo-goo

« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2017, 09:53:11 AM »
I want them try something half FII-ish and half ToT-ish kind of album. Like, light and dark side album. To me, FII is a gem that most of the community seems to miss. FII is their root too.  :biggrin:

This would be awesome.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2017, 09:54:40 AM »

Instead of Light Side, Dark Side, how about light to dark dark to light light to dark?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Dreammajesty

• mp.com refugee
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2017, 10:42:12 AM »
Before i became a fan of DT back in '92  i was more a metal guy you know like Sepultura Obituary Morbid Angel Metal Church Metallica Pantera Type o Negative and so on.To me DT was more a bit poppy music and i had to get used to it but i liked it a lot and they became my number 1 band and still are.So i don't mind if they go back to the roots i don't mind if it's less metalishhhh.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2017, 11:47:38 AM »
I'm starting to hope they go heavy melodic metal with face melting solos and have some bass driven songs where Myung can shine. Something unequivocal that puts the bands ability to play their instruments to the test, yet still having substance to the songs. I hope they out-do themselves and make a statement..  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2017, 12:22:51 PM »
but dey already did that with ADTOE

Offline Art

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2017, 12:25:24 PM »
BRING THE FUSION BACK TO DT

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2017, 12:30:41 PM »
If we'll get DT12 pt.2, I'll be very happy. Just please nail the drum sound this time, it's 0/3 so far (ADTOE was ok, but overall weak and low in the mix, DT12 sounded like electric drums, TA almost got it, but the snare ruined it).

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2017, 12:33:35 PM »
If we'll get DT12 pt.2, I'll be very happy. Just please nail the drum sound this time, it's 0/3 so far (ADTOE was ok, but overall weak and low in the mix, DT12 sounded like electric drums, TA almost got it, but the snare ruined it).

Honestly if we get DT12 pt. 2, it might be the first DT album I don't buy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Skeever

« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2017, 12:35:26 PM »
^Agreed.

Although, after TA, DT might finally be a band I just look up on Spotify from here on.

Offline Adami

« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2017, 12:39:19 PM »
Yea. I mostly enjoyed TA, but largely because of Jordan. Both DT12 and TA kind of make me wonder if JP is running out of the creativity he had in such abundance. Musically speaking, since so many of the cool interesting parts on TA or DT12 were keyboard based.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline chaotic_ripper

« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2017, 12:45:57 PM »
Maybe I’m in the minority, but I like the course they’ve been on, musically, since ADTOE.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2017, 12:50:31 PM »
Maybe I’m in the minority, but I like the course they’ve been on, musically, since ADTOE.

Count me in.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2017, 01:10:33 PM »

Count me in.

Me too. Looking forward to whatever they'll come up next, I'm sure it will be fresh and not heavily borrowed from what they've done so far with Mangini.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2017, 01:23:31 PM »

Count me in.

Me too. I prefer DT12 over ADTOE but still they are solid albums.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2017, 02:28:19 PM »
I usually rank ADTOE higher than DT12, but I always listen to the self titled over ADTOE, I think it's amazing and never really got why people don't like it, except for the drum sound.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2017, 02:42:27 PM »
I usually rank ADTOE higher than DT12, but I always listen to the self titled over ADTOE, I think it's amazing and never really got why people don't like it, except for the drum sound.

I actually prefer DT12's drum sound over ADTOE, but TA has the best out of three in my opinion.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2017, 02:45:06 PM »

I actually prefer DT12's drum sound over ADTOE, but TA has the best out of three in my opinion.

I would agree with the one exception of the kick drum on TA. Way too compact and sounds like a typewriter. An IBM Selectric II to be exact.
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2017, 03:02:45 PM »
Back to the roots sounds good.  Maybe a tribute to their 1st six albums.  The golden age of my DT fandom.   :biggrin: :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2017, 03:31:46 PM »

I would agree with the one exception of the kick drum on TA. Way too compact and sounds like a typewriter. An IBM Selectric II to be exact.

I need to listen to that typewriter :lol
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the drum sound on TA, I would’ve mixed some cymbals a bit louder, though.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2017, 03:45:23 PM »

I need to listen to that typewriter :lol

I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2017, 04:17:00 PM »
Yea. I mostly enjoyed TA, but largely because of Jordan. Both DT12 and TA kind of make me wonder if JP is running out of the creativity he had in such abundance. Musically speaking, since so many of the cool interesting parts on TA or DT12 were keyboard based.

Well, if writing a two-hour musical is running out of creativity...

Offline Adami

« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2017, 04:32:45 PM »

Well, if writing a two-hour musical is running out of creativity...

Definitely can be.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2017, 07:12:08 PM »

:rollin  This one will go to my signature too.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2017, 04:07:05 PM »
I'd like to hear a perfect blend of ADTOE and DT12. Make it a classic sounding album (ADTOE), but with more punch and melody (DT12)

And nail the production, all around. Please and thank you.