Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 439443 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: Haken v. Vector (Oct. 26)
« Reply #3290 on: November 04, 2018, 11:14:47 AM »
I really like A Cell Divides, but it's probably still my least favourite Haken album closer.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3291 on: November 04, 2018, 01:14:58 PM »
1. Puzzle box
2. The Good doctor
3. Veil

4. Nil by mouth

5. Host
6. A Cell divides

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3292 on: November 04, 2018, 01:54:30 PM »
1. Puzzle Box
2. Nil By Mouth
3. A Cell Divides
4. The Good Doctor
5. Veil
6. Host

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #3293 on: November 05, 2018, 06:55:50 AM »
1. Veil
2. Puzzle Box
3. Host
4. The Good Doctor
5. A Cell Divides
6. Nil By Mouth
7. Clear

Every song on the album is good IMO, it feels weird putting Nil By Mouth towards the bottom because I do enjoy it. I was also at the show in NYC on Saturday and it was awesome  :metal This band deserves to play in bigger and better venues than that.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3294 on: November 05, 2018, 07:28:46 AM »
Apparently Jordan Rudess was at the NYC show this Saturday.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3295 on: November 05, 2018, 07:28:58 AM »
Fantastic show in Boston last night.  Haken is really evolving live.  So damn tight.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3296 on: November 05, 2018, 07:40:49 AM »
 :metal :metal

Nice, would have been cool for him to come out or to have seen him.  I had a good view of the side stage and could see just behind the stage, I didn't catch any glimpse of him. 

This band deserves to play in bigger and better venues than that.

Hopefully they keep building on their success and we seem them play at bigger and better spots.  I don't dislike the Highline Ballroom though.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3297 on: November 05, 2018, 08:44:45 AM »
That was a crazy DTF meetup! Certainly did not expect to run into El Barto at a Cambridge show!!
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3298 on: November 05, 2018, 03:18:01 PM »
Really liking the album a lot and at this point, I would have to say that Veil is my favorite thus far.   :hefdaddy
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3299 on: November 05, 2018, 03:24:51 PM »
That was a crazy DTF meetup! Certainly did not expect to run into El Barto at a Cambridge show!!

Huge surprise.   Glad we all got to hang out!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3300 on: November 05, 2018, 03:50:53 PM »
Anyone going to the Orlando show?

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #3301 on: November 05, 2018, 06:52:46 PM »

I can confirm that. He was literally right in front of me at one point, sitting at one of the tables on the balcony level. I’m not the kind of person that would go up to him and start talking to him, especially because he looked like he was trying not to be noticed with his black baseball cap on tilted downwards  :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3302 on: November 05, 2018, 07:11:21 PM »

I can confirm that. He was literally right in front of me at one point, sitting at one of the tables on the balcony level. I’m not the kind of person that would go up to him and start talking to him, especially because he looked like he was trying not to be noticed with his black baseball cap on tilted downwards  :lol

He can wear all the kinds of hats/caps he wants, but he can't hide that world famous beard :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3303 on: November 05, 2018, 11:11:18 PM »

Yeah, really glad I got to meet up with you guys (and the Queen). I've seen plenty of the NY/NJ crowd, as well as the Connecticut guys, so getting to a Boston show to meet up with the gang was something I was keen to do. Sorry Rumbo didn't make it to the bar afterward, and that Tim has such questionable taste in music.

Did make it to the Happy Toast place and thought it was very good. I don't generally go in for French toast, but gave theirs a shot and it was excellent.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3304 on: November 06, 2018, 06:25:50 AM »

I should have spent more than 1 minute on the balcony

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3305 on: November 06, 2018, 06:27:54 AM »

Yeah, really glad I got to meet up with you guys (and the Queen). I've seen plenty of the NY/NJ crowd, as well as the Connecticut guys, so getting to a Boston show to meet up with the gang was something I was keen to do. Sorry Rumbo didn't make it to the bar afterward, and that Tim has such questionable taste in music.

Did make it to the Happy Toast place and thought it was very good. I don't generally go in for French toast, but gave theirs a shot and it was excellent.

Yeah that restaurant has some great and eclectic food.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3306 on: November 06, 2018, 02:06:46 PM »
In case people have missed it by the way...

The HAKEN Survivor 2018 is running in Polls/Survivors. Join in :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #3307 on: November 06, 2018, 02:59:38 PM »
I see from set list.com that Leprous is mixing up the setlist a bit. Looks like they have played 2 songs from Bilateral on separate nights.  Would like Haken to do the same.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3308 on: November 06, 2018, 03:06:22 PM »
I see from set list.com that Leprous is mixing up the setlist a bit. Looks like they have played 2 songs from Bilateral on separate nights.  Would like Haken to do the same.

Yea sucks they played the bilateral stuff at other shows, I would have liked that very much.  It seems Haken aren't going to do it.  I'm guessing since their performance was tight and heavy on new music, that they are just sticking to that.  I'm hoping they come back around next year or something with a full headline set with some different songs being played.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #3309 on: November 06, 2018, 04:11:54 PM »
Now that you guys mention it, the DT-influence gets more and more prominent the more I hear it, and given the band's participation in Portnoy's Shattered Fortress, it definitely makes sense why they might take inspiration from those songs and music and use it to mold the songs for Vector.

Also surprised by the DT comparisons in a way. I mean Veil has some VERY DT-esque stuff, and there's one short section in Puzzle Box as well (the 2nd verse) but otherwise I don't hear any DT at all.

I absolutely love the album, and it'll probably be my favorite when I do the ranking (I always wait until the listens of the new album have approximately reached the listens of the rest to rank it)...

Having quickly told the personal context of how I'm feeling with the album, there's one tinny thing that it might easily represent yet another easter egg within this album and of which I haven't read or heard anywhere.. It has to do with all what I quoted (specially the bolded parts), and I obviously wouldn't mind writing about this if I weren't so sure..

So.. I don't know if they've done this on purpose, like the references to other Haken songs or all the other things related specifically with the concept of the album (like the section of TGD from 1:53 to 2:09 in which the riff structure/time signature resembles the Rorschach's images)... but there are two sections that are VERY similar to other "two sections" of two DT songs (which is why I'm a bit surprised no one here mentioned it or realized the similarities, being this a DT forum after all).. I say "two sections", because they are actually four, only that splitted into two different DT songs.. No surprise here keeping in mind the MP's Shattered Fortress shows they've played lots of times just before writing Vector... the songs are The Glass Prison and This Dying Soul.. As songs that are part from the same "saga", they share a few sections, and two out of those are the ones that matter..

First, in Puzzle Box, the structure of the section from 2:44 to 2:59 is not only very similar to TGP 11:39-12:46 and TDS 8:57-9:30, but it's an structure that I don't recall Haken has ever used before -the "structure" is basically intercaling one particular riff with "the" or "a" main riff, which gives you the feeling that the back and forth between the two riffs is never going to finish nor let the song move to another instance.. That "particular riff" is also almost identical to the respective DT ones, almost like being a mixture of the two..

Second, and this one is way more obvious because it involves lyrics, but also more interesting and similar than the previous, the excellent chorus of Veil and its "Save me (...) Teach me (...) Hold me (...) Guide me (...)" not only is textually very similar to the "Help me (...) Save me (...) Heal me (...)" that appears in both DT songs, but the melody is surprisingly almost the same that both DT sort-of-choruses, and, again, it seems like a mixture of the two.. Always talking only about the melody (the bases and time signatures are different in the three mentioned songs/sections)... structurally speaking the choruses of Veil and TGP are almost identical, and they even coincide in having an extra longer phrase in the middle of each "xxxx me"; musically speaking, Veil's and TDS' lines share the exact same three main notes! (B-F#-G)

Maybe there are other sections like this, who knows.. And FWIW, I didn't purposely searched any of this.. I just noticed it while listening to the album, which definitely prog-rocks the way it is anyways...
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3310 on: November 07, 2018, 01:59:07 PM »
Confirmed - Veil is the second chapter of 12 step suite  :justjen

First, in Puzzle Box, the structure of the section from 2:44 to 2:59 is not only very similar to TGP 11:39-12:46 and TDS 8:57-9:30, but it's an structure that I don't recall Haken has ever used before -the "structure" is basically intercaling one particular riff with "the" or "a" main riff, which gives you the feeling that the back and forth between the two riffs is never going to finish nor let the song move to another instance.. That "particular riff" is also almost identical to the respective DT ones, almost like being a mixture of the two..

I don't hear that.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3311 on: November 07, 2018, 02:13:19 PM »
Speaking of MP and Haken, seems they hung at his place the other night

I think there's no doubt their relationship has rubbed off onto their music a bit and I really enjoy it honestly.  Vector really grew a lot on me over the last week as I saw the show.  I still think it's bottom level only because of it's shortness, in quality it's right up there with the rest of their catalog.  I'd love a Vector Pt2

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #3312 on: November 07, 2018, 09:10:53 PM »

I don't hear that.

The structure is the same.. I think that's very clear (pun not intended).. The Haken's section is a lot more shorter than the other two (specially than TGP), but is obviosuly the same technique or type of structure.. Not that is easy to notice, but once you do, is very hard to unheard it..

Again, have in mind that 5/6 members of the band spent a whole year learning, rehearsing and playing live this songs over and over again.. I think it would be a bit bizarre if they would NOT have "adquire" absolutely nothing from any of those songs, even more when they're from the band they respect the most, have been influenced the most and probably the more related to them too..

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3313 on: November 08, 2018, 07:17:39 AM »
Especially since at least parts of the album were written by the band in hotel rooms while touring for Portnoy's Shattered Fortress shows.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #3314 on: November 08, 2018, 11:57:57 AM »
Wow, didn't know that.. But yeah, giving the timing is obvious they had to do that..

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3315 on: November 19, 2018, 01:03:52 AM »
Just left the show, holy fuck are they good.

That encore man...  :hefdaddy

Pity I couldn't get any closer though...

« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 01:51:55 AM by lonestar »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3316 on: November 19, 2018, 08:08:26 AM »
 :metal :metal :metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3317 on: November 19, 2018, 09:28:13 AM »
Wish I could've seen them. Nice pic by the way.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3318 on: November 19, 2018, 10:06:25 AM »
I'd love a Vector Pt2

Victor perhaps?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3319 on: November 19, 2018, 10:11:21 AM »

Awesome pic, man!!!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3320 on: November 19, 2018, 10:35:13 AM »

They look like ants..
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3321 on: November 19, 2018, 10:45:44 AM »

Hey!  It that Lonestar?!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3322 on: November 19, 2018, 10:53:57 AM »
Right? He totally saw my camera out and threw the horns.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3323 on: November 19, 2018, 11:04:45 AM »
If you were any closer, you'd be ON STAGE, lonestar!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3324 on: November 19, 2018, 02:46:49 PM »
If you were any closer, you'd be ON STAGE, lonestar!

Actually the first time I saw them it was at a tiny venue with no barrier, so I was leaning on the stage itself. This time there was about a two foot gap.