Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 440807 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Haken v. Vector (Oct. 26)
« Reply #2975 on: October 10, 2018, 02:07:24 PM »
Fritzinger review of the new album was published today at LotsOfMuzik:

https://lotsofmuzic.weebly.com/home/effortlessly-skipping-every-prog-cliche-our-review-of-hakens-new-album-vektor

:metal
Good review! :metal

One factual error though - it states that Clear has no motifs that appear in the rest of the album, but that's incorrect. Clear largely features a theme from Host.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #2976 on: October 10, 2018, 03:12:31 PM »
Now THAT's a well written review.

Offline me7

« Reply #2977 on: October 11, 2018, 02:36:17 PM »
I just realized that Rex, the name of the doctor, means "king" in Latin. The retcon is strong in this one.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2978 on: October 12, 2018, 05:29:10 PM »
I'm really hoping I can make the Denver show, if tickets don't sell out a week before they play. Finally listened to The Puzzle Box and I feel it'll really rock live. Gonna Pre-order Vector now.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2979 on: October 13, 2018, 07:00:26 AM »
Now THAT's a well written review.

Thanks a lot :)

Fritzinger review of the new album was published today at LotsOfMuzik:

https://lotsofmuzic.weebly.com/home/effortlessly-skipping-every-prog-cliche-our-review-of-hakens-new-album-vektor

:metal
Good review! :metal

One factual error though - it states that Clear has no motifs that appear in the rest of the album, but that's incorrect. Clear largely features a theme from Host.

Shame on me, I've listened to the whole thing about 50 times now and never realised that!! :facepalm:
any rock can be made to roll

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2980 on: October 15, 2018, 06:58:15 AM »
I know those stickers are removable (thank goodness), but whyyyy did IO feel the need to stick Portnoy's over-the-top Instagram quote on there? :facepalm:

Also, after the disaster that was the last couple of IO albums not actually being released on the day they were supposed to, I'm approaching Oct 26th with some trepidation. I wish it wasn't that way, but since IO sold out to Sony things haven't been the same. See what happens when you sell out? I don't know whether I should preorder online or try and get it from my local on the day.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2981 on: October 15, 2018, 07:32:26 AM »
I know those stickers are removable (thank goodness), but whyyyy did IO feel the need to stick Portnoy's over-the-top Instagram quote on there? :facepalm:

Also, after the disaster that was the last couple of IO albums not actually being released on the day they were supposed to, I'm approaching Oct 26th with some trepidation. I wish it wasn't that way, but since IO sold out to Sony things haven't been the same. See what happens when you sell out? I don't know whether I should preorder online or try and get it from my local on the day.

Because Mike Portnoy is a big name in the Prog-Metal business.. Don't like it either, but I think it's an understandable move by the label.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2982 on: October 15, 2018, 08:08:57 AM »

What sticker?

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2983 on: October 15, 2018, 08:28:45 AM »
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vector-Limited-2CD-Mediabook-Haken/dp/B07G1YHMQ4/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1539613625&sr=1-1&keywords=haken+vector

Look at the second or third picture of the CDs. The black sticker in the corner.

Meanwhile, I find now there is a standard CD version available. I'm not spending 3 extra quid for a disc I'll probably never play (ie. the instrumental disc).

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2984 on: October 15, 2018, 08:32:29 AM »
I kinda like stuff like that.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2985 on: October 15, 2018, 09:33:34 AM »
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vector-Limited-2CD-Mediabook-Haken/dp/B07G1YHMQ4/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1539613625&sr=1-1&keywords=haken+vector

Look at the second or third picture of the CDs. The black sticker in the corner.

Meanwhile, I find now there is a standard CD version available. I'm not spending 3 extra quid for a disc I'll probably never play (ie. the instrumental disc).

Oh. IC

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #2986 on: October 15, 2018, 10:42:46 AM »

Because Mike Portnoy is a big name in the Prog-Metal business.. Don't like it either, but I think it's an understandable move by the label.
Also SOA is also an IO band, therefore cross promotion. Anyone who doesn't know SOA who reads that and thinks "What's Opus Maximus?" could potentially look it up, they may very well like SOA, and then buy their album.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2987 on: October 15, 2018, 11:02:24 AM »
But usually those stickers have proper reviews on them from serious magazine reviews, not gushing Instagram comments.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2988 on: October 15, 2018, 12:00:39 PM »
But usually those stickers have proper reviews on them from serious magazine reviews, not gushing Instagram comments.
Actually they normally don't have a review at all as they're produced before any reviews are published. Normally they just have promo info like "Latest masterpiece from the masters of prog, featuring the single The Good Doctor" or whatever. I agree this one is a bit weird, to be honest. Feel like it could put off as many people as it attracts! :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2989 on: October 15, 2018, 04:17:39 PM »
I watched the Puzzle Box video on YouTube for the first time.  Bizzare!! :omg:  It may take a while to wrap my head around that one.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2990 on: October 15, 2018, 05:14:16 PM »
Haha, what an odd thing to put a Portnoy quote on the cover. Personally, I find it amusing and harmless.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2991 on: October 15, 2018, 06:46:39 PM »
Haha, what an odd thing to put a Portnoy quote on the cover. Personally, I find it amusing and harmless.

I believe it is not the first time Inside Out uses a Portnoy quote. I think Spock’s Beard Snow had one as well (comparing it to The Who’s Tommy IIRC).

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2992 on: October 16, 2018, 07:34:54 AM »
Wait...British people don’t pronounce R’s?
People who come from gReat bRiton don’t pronounce R’s?

They pronounce less r's than American people do. Have Arich send you an audio of him saying, car, care, nurse, poor and you'll see  :P
This isn't quite correct. It's true for some accents (like BBC English and most other accents from south east England). But most other regional accents have quite strong pronounciations of Rs, even in words that don't have Rs in them. The west country in particular is famous for it.

Completely OT, of course, but if anyone is interested in learning more, look up rhotic vs non-rhotic accents.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2993 on: October 16, 2018, 07:51:14 AM »

I agree, I find it odd, amusing, and harmless. That said, I'm far more interested in what's below the MP quote on the sticker (Nolly mixed the album). That's sticker worthy stuff.

Offline me7

« Reply #2994 on: October 16, 2018, 09:24:54 AM »
They even put the Opus Maximus reference on the sticker :facepalm:

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2995 on: October 16, 2018, 09:37:15 AM »

I agree, I find it odd, amusing, and harmless. That said, I'm far more interested in what's below the MP quote on the sticker (Nolly mixed the album). That's sticker worthy stuff.
Yeah, that's something that's cool, hype-worthy, and you know, actually relevant to the release. :lol

Really glad Nolly is getting so much recognition for his mixing skills (especially since leaving Periphery and being able to devote all his time to), in my opinion he does the best mixes for modern prog metal releases right now, never heard a bad sounding album by him.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2996 on: October 16, 2018, 09:42:16 AM »
Yeah, that's something that's cool, hype-worthy, and you know, actually relevant to the release. :lol

Yeah for real  :lol

Really glad Nolly is getting so much recognition for his mixing skills (especially since leaving Periphery and being able to devote all his time to), in my opinion he does the best mixes for modern prog metal releases right now, never heard a bad sounding album by him.

Yup, I totally agree. For my money, he's the best in the business right now for modern metal.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2997 on: October 19, 2018, 05:19:27 AM »
Here's another one for you, it just came up on YT a few minutes ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNT_9mmQaS8
Track 7 (closing track) on the album
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2998 on: October 19, 2018, 05:24:00 AM »
Dayum, they've released videos for half the album.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2999 on: October 19, 2018, 05:25:50 AM »
Dayum, they've released videos for half the album.
as Steven Wilson did for To The Bone last year. That seems to be "normal" nowadays.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3000 on: October 19, 2018, 05:38:01 AM »
Didn't Metallica even release videos for ALL of their songs off Hardwired?

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3001 on: October 19, 2018, 05:47:19 AM »
Periphery did also release all songs before the release date with PIII: Select Difficult
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3002 on: October 19, 2018, 06:55:19 AM »
Just listened to A Cell Divides... Eh, didn't really do anything for me. Still can't get into the vocals and the music didn't really go anywhere.

I really wish I could get into this band more, on paper they check so many boxes for me, I just haven't connected with their stuff.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3003 on: October 19, 2018, 07:00:10 AM »
Just listened to A Cell Divides... Eh, didn't really do anything for me. Still can't get into the vocals and the music didn't really go anywhere.

I have no problems with the vocals, but the rest I agree with.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3004 on: October 19, 2018, 08:36:12 AM »
People (even the band) keep saying they have half the album out, but by running time it's actually only 37%.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3005 on: October 19, 2018, 08:37:50 AM »
People (even the band) keep saying they have half the album out, but by running time it's actually only 37%.

If you round that up to 50%, that's half of the album.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3006 on: October 19, 2018, 10:11:21 AM »
It does seem to be a trend of bands releasing a lot more music before album release date now a days.

Song is pretty cool.  These music videos have been pretty bad though.  Sucks because I thought the videos for the Affinity songs were pretty cool, but these look lazy and boring.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3007 on: October 19, 2018, 10:25:58 AM »
Sucks because I thought the videos for the Affinity songs were pretty cool, but these look lazy and boring.
*remembers Earthrise video*

Er....

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3008 on: October 19, 2018, 10:41:40 AM »

If you round that up to 50%, that's half of the album.
:lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3009 on: October 19, 2018, 10:42:23 AM »
I listened to The Good Doctor when it first came out...once. And I’ve already forgotten it.

I remember really liking it, but I really want the album to be a fresh experience, so I’ve been avoiding all the other releases completely. Only one more week!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude