Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 130753 times)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #1365 on: November 06, 2023, 03:33:11 PM »
This thread has been disappointing. I mean, of all things.
This.

P.S. Welcome to the forum!
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1366 on: November 06, 2023, 03:33:24 PM »

Are you not happy MP is back? you should check out their older albums if you aren't excited, older MP era DT rules!! except Awake which i don't love

Go easy on TAC. He’s one of them new fans.

gotcha. i know a lot of folks came in during MM's reign but i know lots of fans will love the old classics
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1367 on: November 06, 2023, 03:34:05 PM »

Are you not happy MP is back? you should check out their older albums if you aren't excited, older MP era DT rules!! except Awake which i don't love

Go easy on TAC. He’s one of them new fans.

:rollin :rollin
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1368 on: November 06, 2023, 03:34:54 PM »
This.

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Thanks Mosh! Long time lurker. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1369 on: November 06, 2023, 03:35:30 PM »

Thank you!!  It's about time someone educated that fool!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #1370 on: November 06, 2023, 04:11:17 PM »
No, that's actually not what I said.

Well, that's how I read it.

But whatever, my point still stands!  If we're nitpicking every single thing about the statements, I'm just adding one more thing!

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #1371 on: November 06, 2023, 04:12:15 PM »

Foo'!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1372 on: November 06, 2023, 05:29:48 PM »
Just another of the many posters using ChatGPT to write their posts. :-\

ChatGPT is the new copypasta. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1373 on: November 06, 2023, 05:33:32 PM »
Just another of the many posters using ChatGPT to write their posts. :-\

ChatGPT is the new copypasta.

So basically, Jon Bon Jovi is a bot?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1374 on: November 06, 2023, 05:41:33 PM »
Jon Bot Jovi

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1375 on: November 06, 2023, 06:01:02 PM »
glad you made it back safe. there were no tour dates announced tho so what did you need to physically return to the US for (at least, yet?)?

I don't know. I deeply regret making a hasty decision without having all the necessary information at hand. I feel a sense of shame for abandoning my students. However, the availability of faster internet speeds and access to more reliable information in the United States somewhat eases my feelings as it allows me to stay more up to date with Dream Theater. Teaching was no doubt a fulfilling profession but being a Dream Theater fan is its own special journey.

Man. I appreciate the commitment to the story.

Agreed. It's been a long time since we saw trolling at this level of quality.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1376 on: November 06, 2023, 07:13:50 PM »
I've been having this weird feeling that Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson are going to plan a multi-year world tour in the near future to celebrate the legacy of Rush and that they would ask Mike Portnoy to be the drummer, at which point MP would leave DT before ever playing a show with them, and DT would then ask Mike Mangini to return to the band.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #1377 on: November 06, 2023, 07:43:03 PM »
I've been having this weird feeling that Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson are going to plan a multi-year world tour in the near future to celebrate the legacy of Rush and that they would ask Mike Portnoy to be the drummer, at which point MP would leave DT before ever playing a show with them, and DT would then ask Mike Mangini to return to the band.

:lol

Edit: I imagined MP, after receiving Geddy Lee's invitation, saying to the other DT members: Guys, you won't believe it, but we need a hiatus.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1378 on: November 06, 2023, 07:58:42 PM »

Rush is done.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #1379 on: November 06, 2023, 11:54:12 PM »
I wonder if MP will be able to release the footage from the MP’s Shattered Fortress show he had filmed now.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released through my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios
www.starcommandstudios.com

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1380 on: November 07, 2023, 03:27:59 AM »
I wonder if MP will be able to release the footage from the MP’s Shattered Fortress show he had filmed now.

If anything, I think it would be easier - legally speaking - for him to release that now that he's back in the band. But I'd say the momentum for that to be released has been lost.

Offline The Great Ape

« Reply #1381 on: November 07, 2023, 06:22:08 AM »

Way late to this party, but after hearing and reading what Mike Mangini has said, it is my opinion that the other four members of Dream Theater made a decision to let Mangini go and bring back Mike Portnoy. No idea whether that is exactly what went down, but that's what it sound like, to me. No real big deal. Mangini was classy, as he always is.

Finally, a lawyer without the word salad.
And one that has an actual opinion.
Imagine that.  ;D

Yup.

God some of these posts have been beyond tedious. Imagine having to live your life as a lawyer :lol

I'm an auditor so maybe I have an unusual willingness to appreciate convoluted and unnecessary documentation, but I've really enjoyed the detailed breakdowns and discussions in here. In a situation where fans don't have much insight, it helps to reduce the possibilities to their essence and then to pick the one that fits the few facts we do have. It's not that I need to know, but encapsulating a huge array of possibilities (and feelings) into a couple simpler stories is a useful exercise - especially since we will never get all the details.

I can't imagine coming to this forum voluntarily if you find long, over-complicated circumambulation around a point that doesn't matter all that much anyways distasteful.  :rollin

Oh, I actually agree with you! The posts have all been interesting. My comment was intended as a bit of a wink.

But as someone who's studied linguistics (various applications), I come at it from a different angle to the lawyers. Linguistically, there's very little ambiguity. Mangini was replaced because they wanted Portnoy back. Every sign points to that. Is it incontrovertible evidence? No. Would it satisfy the 99% of us who aren't lawyers? Almost certainly :biggrin:

*snip*

Sorry if I'm a little salty - it's already a quintessential Monday, and it's not even 8:15 am where I am - but it's lousy to start the week after a couple days away and hear your sincere posts dismissed as what might be "tedious", "word salad", "convoluted" and "unnecessary".  I write stuff that's interesting to me and that (I hope) someone else might get a kick out of. If you don't, so be it, move on.  I'm not sure the shots are necessary, though.

That stuff is interesting to me too, that's why we're all here. Based on context/reply history I'm assuming it wasn't my comment that was the cause of your Monday saltiness, but you did use "convoluted/unnecessary" as evidence that your posts were dismissed and those were words I was throwing around. I wrote my comment in defense of you/Bosk and the extended discussions that were taking place before the weird beef with lawyers popped up. My point was that all the discussions that were reduced to "word-salad" are actually the thing I enjoy most about this website. I guess "unnecessary" and "convoluted" were rather tongue-in-cheek, given that I posted my own speculative novel just pages before. Just trying to pull us back to a reality where we can laugh a little about how serious we get sometimes, but where it's still okay to be passionate; to be a little extra because it's fun, and because that's what communities are meant for.

It drives me nuts when a group of people engage enthusiastically with niche subject matter, then somebody decides that everybody is engaging "too much". I've always seen it as a weird form of gatekeeping where someone is allowed to like something exactly as much as they like it, but if you like it more you're over the top. Sort of like how I'm the only one going the right speed on the highway, except in this case speed is equivalent to "number of characters in your discussion about DT's newest lineup change". It's a very reddit-centric phenomenon where I make a long post about stuff I care about and someone tells me "it ain't that deep", "chill", etc. Like, my brother in Christ, I'm just using the website as God intended.

It also annoys me when people are criticized for "not having an opinion" when that should be the default state with the information we have available. There are a couple very simple stories, none of which paint any members of DT in a bad light. Whatever story each of us believes should be remembered as just that. Don't confuse the moon with the finger pointing to it.

P.S. - The Great Ape, I would make your entire post my text signature if that was allowed.

As a former lawyer myself, recent events surrounding Dream Theater and the departure of Mark Mangini have sparked my interest. Analyzing the available evidence, drawing upon my extensive experience in scrutinizing details, and considering the subtle cues in the band's dynamics, I've also reached an intriguing conclusion—I firmly believe that Mark Mangini was indeed let go by the band.

My legal background, coupled with my deep understanding of human behavior drawn from my world travels, enables me to see beneath the surface. The signs, the unspoken cues, and the intricacies in the interactions of band members have not escaped my attention. It's a conclusion drawn from observing patterns and human dynamics, rather than mere speculation.

However, it's crucial to remember that such conclusions are subject to change with new information. I encourage a discussion where we can pool our insights and perspectives, enriching our understanding of this intriguing situation.

I'm excited to engage in a meaningful exchange of ideas with all of you. Let's uncover the layers together and explore the realm beyond what is evident.

Looking forward to your thoughts and insights on this matter.
"You know what? Enough is enough. There's enough hate in this world; there's enough frickin' negativity in this world" - James LaBrie

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1382 on: November 07, 2023, 06:38:54 AM »
I’m so glad that this guy is back.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline emtee

« Reply #1383 on: November 07, 2023, 06:41:39 AM »
About time for a 'guess the DT 16 album title' thread.

Wondering if they have already had discussions about ideas/direction/title, etc. Also, knowing MP, I wonder about extras/bonus material that could possibly create enhanced interest.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1384 on: November 07, 2023, 06:45:52 AM »
Knowing that this new album will be compared A LOT to A View and that all eyes (ears) will be fixed on the drumming and songwriting, they really need to deliver big time. I bet they already had "basic" discussions of where they want to go with the new album.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Random Access Sloth
« Reply #1385 on: November 07, 2023, 06:47:18 AM »
I’m so glad that this guy is back.

Careful, apparently he’s a lawyer now  ::)

« Reply #1386 on: November 07, 2023, 07:21:04 AM »
my speculation senses is tingling again...

i have a speculative hunch that Geddy Lee will do a spoken word part on the new DT album. Perhaps other musicians we know and love as well

hunch over

enjoy your day
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1387 on: November 07, 2023, 07:28:50 AM »
WTF is happening in this thread
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Random Access Sloth
« Reply #1388 on: November 07, 2023, 07:31:40 AM »
I think the banhammer is looking a little dusty, no?

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1389 on: November 07, 2023, 07:31:51 AM »
WTF is happening in this thread

Man, back in my day...

Trolling (like just about everything) has really evolved to a point where I almost don't even recognize it anymore :justjen

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1390 on: November 07, 2023, 07:40:10 AM »
A joyful turn of events
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1391 on: November 07, 2023, 08:04:25 AM »
lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1392 on: November 07, 2023, 08:10:56 AM »
Dusty Banhammer sounds like a country metal band.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1393 on: November 07, 2023, 08:11:52 AM »

Or a pro wrestler.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1394 on: November 07, 2023, 08:15:22 AM »

swing batta batta batta

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1395 on: November 07, 2023, 08:17:46 AM »
I don't hate this.

swing batta batta batta

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1396 on: November 07, 2023, 08:18:57 AM »

swing batta batta batta

Agreed😀👍
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

« Reply #1397 on: November 07, 2023, 08:20:13 AM »
my deep understanding of human behavior drawn from my world travels, enables me to see beneath the surface.

i'm not entirely sure if the post was meant to be sarcastic or not but this nugget here is really insightful. there's definitely something to be said about world travel enriching your understanding of the human experience. maybe after a grammy win and a world tour with DT, MM realized that he wasn't meant to be behind the kit for the rest of his days
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1398 on: November 07, 2023, 08:20:57 AM »

For the "linguistic expert" (and all the lawyer bashers):  you missed the point entirely.  If you'll note, I DID give my opinion, clearly, and it's not miles away from the speculation.  The difference is, I'm clear that it's what I THINK, and it's not ignoring all the evidence that DOESN'T support my position.  The ONLY reason I posted anything here about this - and what was "beyond tedious" to me - is that too many posters were pretending this was Twitter/X and confusing "fact" with "opinion".   Just because you THINK it doesn't make it true, and you shouldn't act as if it is.   People were NOT saying "I THINK Mike might have been fired", they were flat out saying "Mangini WAS  fired" and were making comments implying that it was shitty behavior on the part of the band.  It's not shitty behavior if it only happened in your mind. ;) 

Sorry if I'm a little salty - it's already a quintessential Monday, and it's not even 8:15 am where I am - but it's lousy to start the week after a couple days away and hear your sincere posts dismissed as what might be "tedious", "word salad", "convoluted" and "unnecessary".  I write stuff that's interesting to me and that (I hope) someone else might get a kick out of. If you don't, so be it, move on.  I'm not sure the shots are necessary, though.

Blimey. Thanks for that. Salty, yes, and also quite an overreaction. I even said I'd found the posts interesting. Looks like it's okay for you to 'bust chops' but not so much the other way around, eh?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1399 on: November 07, 2023, 09:03:27 AM »
Regarding MP and setlists - do you think he'll consider all the pre-Mangini songs they've played live in the past 13 years when constructing the next tour's setlists? He's gone to the past couple tours so it's not like he doesn't know what they played.

Will he also consider DT songs HE has played with other groups in the past 13 years, and maybe avoid them, or perhaps bring them back? Of course this includes his Shattered Fortress shows, and those PSMS shows where they did some DT music as well.

Either way, it'll be neat to see how he handles the setlists, which is one of the things I'm looking forward to most given his past involvement with them.

-Marc.

Coming back to this just to share here the list of DT songs MP played with other bands during his time as the former drummer of Dream Theater. I had made and posted the list on the MP thread a couple years ago but didn't have the will to properly search for it, so I decided to make it again. Here are the songs in chronological order (from their original DT release) and the band(s) he played them with:

1. Take the Time (Noturnall)
2. Under a Glass Moon (Noturnall)
3. The Mirror (Haken, Shattered Fortress)
4. A Change of Seasons: I. The Crimson Sunrise (Metal Masters, PSMS)
5. Burning My Soul (PSMS)
6. Hell's Kitchen (PSMS, Sons of Apollo)
7. Lines in the Sand (PSMS, Sons of Apollo)
8. Just Let Me Breathe (Sons of Apollo)
9. Anna Lee (PSMS)
10. Overture 1928 (Shattered Fortress)
11. Strange Deja Vu (Shattered Fortress)
12. Home (Shattered Fortress)
13. The Dance of Eternity (Shattered Fortress)
14. Finally Free (Shattered Fortress)
15. The Glass Prison (Shattered Fortress)
16. As I Am (Noturnall)
17. This Dying Soul (Shattered Fortress)
18. The Root of All Evil (Shattered Fortress)
19. Repentance (Flying Colors, Shattered Fortress)
20. The Shattered Fortress (Shattered Fortress)

He also played Instrumedley with Jordan, Eric Gillette and Conner Green, but that's not really a "proper" DT song. He basically played something from every one of his DT albums except WDADU.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."