Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 131161 times)

OpenYourEyes311, TAC, Nekov (+ 1 Hidden) and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline crystalstars17

Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #1225 on: November 03, 2023, 10:50:31 AM »
SC 24/7?? You’re also talking about the group that created SFAM and SDOIT. Unless you think those aren’t good.

I do love SFAM, and I&W, and Octavarium. I'll be quiet now. ✨
"Whether by your will or not, there is no ship now that can bear me hence." ~ Arwen, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1226 on: November 03, 2023, 11:05:39 AM »
SC 24/7?? You’re also talking about the group that created SFAM and SDOIT. Unless you think those aren’t good.

I do love SFAM, and I&W, and Octavarium. I'll be quiet now. ✨

You don’t have to be quiet. You can express your opinion the same as anyone else. But this idea that because Portnoy is back that now everything will sound like whatever someone thinks is the worst album, is just a little short sighted to me. And this opinion comes from a lot of newer fans (from what I’ve seen, I could be wrong). Like I said, and sorry if I was rude about it, this group of five guys created some of the best music of my life. Not to mention Portnoy was a founding member, that helped create an entire genre. He helped write the songs from Images and Words, Awake and so many classic tracks. He’s one of the most influential drummers ever. Ever.  And people seeing him come back and basically defining it as “ah man the *roars* are back”. It’s kinda ridiculous.

Also, none of this is something we should be losing sleep over.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #1227 on: November 03, 2023, 11:21:02 AM »
You don’t have to be quiet. You can express your opinion the same as anyone else. But this idea that because Portnoy is back that now everything will sound like whatever someone thinks is the worst album, is just a little short sighted to me. And this opinion comes from a lot of newer fans (from what I’ve seen, I could be wrong). Like I said, and sorry if I was rude about it, this group of five guys created some of the best music of my life. Not to mention Portnoy was a founding member, that helped create an entire genre. He helped write the songs from Images and Words, Awake and so many classic tracks. He’s one of the most influential drummers ever. Ever.  And people seeing him come back and basically defining it as “ah man the *roars* are back”. It’s kinda ridiculous.

Also, none of this is something we should be losing sleep over.
Short sighted, perhaps, it's a bit of a knee-jerk reaction and maybe not the most fair one. And in no way were you rude.

And yes, he was a founding father of this amazing band and genre. I do need to keep that in mind.

I just think there's not much sensitivity here (not saying from you) towards the newer-fan perspective. Don't worry, I'm not losing any actual sleep, but it's an adjustment for us, is all.
"Whether by your will or not, there is no ship now that can bear me hence." ~ Arwen, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1228 on: November 03, 2023, 11:34:05 AM »
No, you’re right. Personally I seem to forget that there are people who came in during the last 13 years, and this was the only version of the band they knew. I get it.
Can't we find the minds

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #1229 on: November 03, 2023, 11:38:18 AM »
No, you’re right. Personally I seem to forget that there are people who came in during the last 13 years, and this was the only version of the band they knew. I get it.

Thank you. 💙

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1230 on: November 03, 2023, 12:19:08 PM »
have you guys seen this?

I think this might also give some credence to the rumor that SW is in talks to mix and produce the new DT
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1231 on: November 03, 2023, 12:30:37 PM »
Why? They’ve been friends for years. I doubt that photo is even new.
Can't we find the minds

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1232 on: November 03, 2023, 12:31:40 PM »
I think this might also give some credence to the rumor that SW is in talks to mix and produce the new DT

Yeah right. I don't think he'd be interested, and as much as I like Steven Wilson, he's not a good fit for their style and sound.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline HOF

« Reply #1233 on: November 03, 2023, 12:36:40 PM »
have you guys seen this?

There are rumors that SW might mix the next album? Are these like the rumors that MP might be moving to Seattle?  ;)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 12:42:08 PM by HOF »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1234 on: November 03, 2023, 12:39:00 PM »
My suspicion is that MP's re-entry to DT was very much like how Jordan came into the band.  JP & MP asked him, "hey, if the keyboard spot in DT were open, would you be willing to join?" to which he answered yes, so they opened the spot.

This time, I think they got the answer from MP they wanted, so they opened his spot.

IMO

I think this is reasonable.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1235 on: November 03, 2023, 12:41:23 PM »

What "talks" are you referring to?  What is your source?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

« Reply #1236 on: November 03, 2023, 12:41:37 PM »
have you guys seen this?

There are talks that SW might mix the next album? Are these like the talks that MP might be moving to Seattle?

Doing some detective research here tells me that this photo was taken in Seattle, actually. it was likely the same day that MP toured the Laura Palmer house from Twin Peaks (he's wearing a Twin Peaks shirt in this photo) as well as that building's green trimmings implying it's somewhere in Seattle (maybe the Showbox SoDo where Thundercat played recently, SW wearing the Thundercat shirt)

All of this combined with the evidence that MP was titled as being a member of "Dream Theater" during his drum line performance tells me that the decision had been made by the time the Seattle events happened, SW was there for the production talks, and MP was taking the opportunity to also look at some real estate.
Welcome to the Forums!

« Reply #1237 on: November 03, 2023, 12:42:35 PM »

What "talks" are you referring to?  What is your source?

The "talks" where you figure out who will product and mix the next album! The above posts evidence as well as some rumors I saw on the DT discord all seem to imply something is up with DT, MP, SW, and Seattle specifically (with fun hints and nods to Twin Peaks!)
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1238 on: November 03, 2023, 12:44:43 PM »
No, you referred to some specific "talks" and "rumors."  What is your source for this? 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline HOF

« Reply #1239 on: November 03, 2023, 12:45:42 PM »
It would be cool if DT were to allow an outside producer again, but I have a hard time seeing that ever happening. MP has worked with exactly one outside producer since FII (Peter Collins on the first Flying Colors album, and of course never again). And SW has let it be known that he's not really a fan of DT's music, so I doubt he'd want to produce them.

I could see SW mixing an album for DT maybe (or remixing earlier albums if they wanted to try that, but I think he really only takes those gigs when he is a fan of the original album).

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1240 on: November 03, 2023, 12:47:29 PM »
DT discord  :rollin
Can't we find the minds

« Reply #1241 on: November 03, 2023, 12:48:39 PM »
DT discord is not a bad place for rumors/news. They were posting about the MP returning to DT before it was announced, so I would imagine SW rumors from the same discord wouldn't be immediately dismissible
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1242 on: November 03, 2023, 12:50:49 PM »
"Rumors" and "news" are not the same thing.  But you still have not answered the question.

« Reply #1243 on: November 03, 2023, 12:54:12 PM »
sure, i guess i can answer you for a third time: The DT Discord. :)
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Awaken

« Reply #1244 on: November 03, 2023, 01:06:39 PM »
My suspicion is that MP's re-entry to DT was very much like how Jordan came into the band.  JP & MP asked him, "hey, if the keyboard spot in DT were open, would you be willing to join?" to which he answered yes, so they opened the spot.

This time, I think they got the answer from MP they wanted, so they opened his spot.

IMO

I think this is reasonable.

If I'm betting, I'm putting my money here too.  A few of us were recently talking about this at the DT show in CT.  If you got a chance to see JP's solo tour, it was undeniable how connected/locked in JP and MP were and how happy they looked to be playing together again.  If they hadn't already discussed the idea of MP coming back to DT before those shows, I'd also bet they started soon after they kicked off the tour.   

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1245 on: November 03, 2023, 01:10:17 PM »
have you guys seen this?

The context of this picture is the following (from MP's Facebook):
"Between the excitement of the DT announcement, the anxiety over Mickey’s surgery and being wrapped up w stuff on The Winery Dogs tour, I haven’t done an #MPPhotoOfTheDay entry in a while…So let’s have one today to celebrate Steven Wilson’s Birthday!
Steven and I have known each other since Porcupine Tree opened for DT back on the Metropolis 2000 tour and I’ve always had the biggest admiration for his incredible talents. Musician, Songwriter, Producer, Mixer…the man can do it all! And as I posted last week, his new one is absolutely one of my favs of the year! Happy Birthday buddy "

For those who follow, he posts many photos with musicians/artists taken in different years. Maybe I'm wrong, but I guess it has nothing to do with SW producing or mixing DT.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1246 on: November 03, 2023, 01:11:02 PM »

OK, then just be honest that there are no actual "talks" that you are aware of, and you just like to repeat things you've heard to try to sound important. 

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #1247 on: November 03, 2023, 01:22:00 PM »

OK, then just be honest that there are no actual "talks" that you are aware of, and you just like to repeat things you've heard to try to sound important.

Silly Bosk, these ARE the talks. We're talking about it now, thus there have been talks about what we're talking about. Self fulfilling prophecy. Get with the times. 
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1248 on: November 03, 2023, 01:22:22 PM »

At least he hasn't welcomed you to the board!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

« Reply #1249 on: November 03, 2023, 01:30:17 PM »

i never said there were talks i was aware of. if you read my post you would see that i mentioned "rumors of talks". not sure why this is so hard, lol. the rumors came from the DT Discord. not trying to sound self-important (why the hell would i seek clout on a message board over something like that?) was just sharing what i saw, jeez dude
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1250 on: November 03, 2023, 01:33:51 PM »
I saw rumors that Paul McCartney is going to replace John Myung, but they didn't want to announce that at the same time as Mike Portnoy's return, so it will not be announced until early 2024.  And the plans, according to talks from unnamed sources, is that McCartney and Portnoy will share lead vocals, with the band already working on their 22-minute live version of Revolution 9. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1251 on: November 03, 2023, 01:34:29 PM »
Yeah, me too.  :lol

« Reply #1252 on: November 03, 2023, 01:34:51 PM »
I saw rumors that Paul McCartney is going to replace John Myung, but they didn't want to announce that at the same time as Mike Portnoy's return, so it will not be announced until early 2024.  And the plans, according to talks from unnamed sources, is that McCartney and Portnoy will share lead vocals, with the band already working on their 22-minute live version of Revolution 9. 

better post your source, sir!!!!
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1253 on: November 03, 2023, 01:47:51 PM »
He read it on MySpace.
Can't we find the minds

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1254 on: November 03, 2023, 01:51:18 PM »
Something worth saying - It's incredible the things people will post in publicly accessible Discords thinking that no one will simply take a screenshot.

Can totally imagine someone peripherally hearing about some sort of legal negotiation and being like "I'm hearing word this might be happening."

Would not put TOO much stock in it since no screenshot. But having seen many things come out in Discord that never should have, this is not inconceivable.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #1255 on: November 03, 2023, 02:03:18 PM »
I had one of my kids show me the discords a while back because I heard of it and wanted to see how it compared to this place. Apart from being a worse format (continuous chat, who has time for that), it mostly was one guy claiming he had connections to the band and making up stories of 'inside information'. Never went back but it that's how it normally is then I suggest you don't trust anything there sojourn.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1256 on: November 03, 2023, 02:11:04 PM »

:lol

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1257 on: November 03, 2023, 02:13:39 PM »

I heard when McCartney rehearsd TDOE with the band his solo was faster than Myung.  There's also rumors he's able to do the tapping sections without tapping.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1258 on: November 03, 2023, 02:15:07 PM »
Don't call me a rapper.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1259 on: November 03, 2023, 03:22:08 PM »
have you guys seen this?

So...does this photo mean that Jon Anderson is going to replace JLB?

Or maybe whoever these guys are will have something to do with it?

As someone else, already explained, MP REGULARLY does birthday posts with photos of him with whomever is having a birthday.  Also, it seems pretty clear to me that (as is typical of his birthday posts) it's not even a recent picture of MP.

i never said there were talks i was aware of. if you read my post you would see that i mentioned "rumors of talks". not sure why this is so hard, lol. the rumors came from the DT Discord. not trying to sound self-important (why the hell would i seek clout on a message board over something like that?) was just sharing what i saw, jeez dude

There have been rumors of MP coming back to DT since...well...since he left the band 13 years ago.  Rumors on social media are typically bullshit.  When you come here wondering if this out-of-context photo lends credence to some rumor, it implies that you think the rumors have some validity.  Therefore, it's natural for folks to wonder what you're talking about and scrutinize it.  It's called critical thinking and, while that's not something that seems to be valued much on social media, it does, fortunately, seem to be valued around here.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung