Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 124602 times)

Online HOF

Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #1540 on: November 10, 2023, 11:58:25 AM »
The news of MP's return prompted me to cycle through the discography. I'm sure a few others are doing the same.

One thing that really stood out to me was just how damn amazing JP's playing is throughout. And I would even say, the last few albums had some of his best work...for my tastes anyways. Beautiful solo's and great riffs.

The other thing that struck me is that I don't think JR has what I would consider a signature solo that transcends. You know, a Rick Wakeman or Keith Emmerson type solo that is locked into my brain forever and the minute I hear it, I start to whistle or hum it.

The first JR solo to come to mind for me is probably his first solo with the band on Overture 1928 around 1:20 (or the second one around 3:06).

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1541 on: November 10, 2023, 11:59:33 AM »
The news of MP's return prompted me to cycle through the discography. I'm sure a few others are doing the same.

One thing that really stood out to me was just how damn amazing JP's playing is throughout. And I would even say, the last few albums had some of his best work...for my tastes anyways. Beautiful solo's and great riffs.

The other thing that struck me is that I don't think JR has what I would consider a signature solo that transcends. You know, a Rick Wakeman or Keith Emmerson type solo that is locked into my brain forever and the minute I hear it, I start to whistle or hum it.

It prompted me to cycle through the albums... with MM :lol BUT DT is in my constant rotation so it's a matter of time (pun intended) until I cycle through the whole thing again.

As for Jordan's solos, he had a lot more "composed" solos earlier on (LTE 1 through SDOIT) but lately he's been "winging it" a lot more with fast noodling and not much else.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1542 on: November 10, 2023, 12:04:02 PM »
Jordan's signature solo? Solitary Shell's opening.

Straight and to the point yet melodically gorgeous and a clever wink to the '70s prog keyboards/moog tradition.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #1543 on: November 10, 2023, 12:09:19 PM »

It prompted me to cycle through the albums... with MM :lol BUT DT is in my constant rotation so it's a matter of time (pun intended) until I cycle through the whole thing again.

As for Jordan's solos, he had a lot more "composed" solos earlier on (LTE 1 through SDOIT) but lately he's been "winging it" a lot more with fast noodling and not much else.

Me too. I went through the MM-years backwards. Then I decided to continue, but BCSL and SC discouraged me and I stopped.
A week later (today) I continued with Octavarium.

I totally agree about JR's solos.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #1544 on: November 10, 2023, 12:11:46 PM »

Straight and to the point yet melodically gorgeous and a clever wink to the '70s prog keyboards/moog tradition.

This. If someone says “Jordan Rudess keyboard solo”, this is what immediately comes to mind for me.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #1545 on: November 10, 2023, 12:13:57 PM »
An album that I think has spectacular work from JR is The Astonishing. JR and JLB kill it on this album.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1546 on: November 10, 2023, 12:14:55 PM »

This.

An album that I think has spectacular work from JR is The Astonishing. JR and JLB kill it on this album.
This as well.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1547 on: November 10, 2023, 12:26:58 PM »

Geez... quoting you again in this thread.   :lol

Big +1 for Solitary Shell as I hear it in my head when I think about JR... also LTE's Kindred Spirits (beginning and breakdown).  That's JR to me.  I remember hearing Kindred Spirits for the first time on vacation with a buddy in Myrtle Beach in 99... still smell salt when I hear that song (and taste sand from several epic wipeouts while surfing  :lol)

I revisited BC&SL this past Sunday... started with Count on the way to Church because my wife woke up humming it, and ended up listening to the rest of the album that afternoon.  Gotta say that Nightmare would really have been an epic song with just a few trims and Rite has aged really well for me as well.  It's been a long, long time since I spun that album and I enjoyed it. 

My wife and I will miss MM (my wife was always drawn to MM live, especially when he was touring in the "box" kit set-up), but at the same time I'm glad to see MP back and look forward to meeting him again and seeing him live with DT again.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline emtee

« Reply #1548 on: November 10, 2023, 01:35:52 PM »
For me though, "Solitary Shell" is a very short intro piece and is not even close to something like "From The Beginning" or "Close To The Edge".

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1549 on: November 10, 2023, 01:59:09 PM »
For me, Jordan's solo on Home is worthy of being up there as an iconic solo.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline YngVai

« Reply #1550 on: November 10, 2023, 02:04:10 PM »
Solitary Shell was what first came to mind for me as well, but I think the piano solo on "Biaxident" is really memorable, as well.

Something about the "piano" mindset must just JR an occasionally-necessary sense of restraint, haha.

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #1551 on: November 10, 2023, 02:29:09 PM »

I can't agree more. I just wrote something similar in another thread.

That said, the intro to Octavarium is what made me a fan, so I'm going with that.
"Whether by your will or not, there is no ship now that can bear me hence." ~ Arwen, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Offline The Paddies

« Reply #1552 on: November 10, 2023, 03:52:14 PM »
Not the biggest fan, but the ragtime solo in The Dance Of Eternity is very Rudessque.

And his solo in The Walking Shadow is underrated. Love it.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1553 on: November 10, 2023, 04:27:25 PM »
Not the biggest fan, but the ragtime solo in The Dance Of Eternity is very Rudessque.

The Walking Shadow? Is that a Dream Theater song?

Online HOF

« Reply #1554 on: November 10, 2023, 04:32:10 PM »

The Walking Shadow? Is that a Dream Theater song?

Looks like it's on The Astonishing (I didn't know either).

Offline gborland

« Reply #1555 on: November 10, 2023, 04:44:32 PM »
Until now I had never heard of The Walking Shadow. I think I only actually know the names of two songs on The Astonishing.  :lol
Graham Borland

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1556 on: November 10, 2023, 04:57:29 PM »
 :facepalm:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1557 on: November 10, 2023, 05:12:51 PM »
I think I missed the joke.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online HOF

« Reply #1558 on: November 10, 2023, 05:27:05 PM »

Maybe it’s one of the robot noise tracks (I know they have a name, but all I can come up with is Sarlac).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1559 on: November 10, 2023, 06:07:40 PM »

Maybe it’s one of the robot noise tracks (I know they have a name, but all I can come up with is Sarlac).
It's not.  Jeez.

For me, some of JR's tastiest playing is found in his organ solos on Untethered Angel and Fall Into The Light.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #1560 on: November 10, 2023, 06:13:59 PM »
Do you know that if you go to Youtube.com and type in "The Walking Shadow Dream Theater" and listen to a three-minute song you won't die?

This refusal to want to know the TA and still comment about it seems childish.

It's not.  Jeez.

For me, some of JR's tastiest playing is found in his organ solos on Untethered Angel and Fall Into The Light.

Indeed.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1561 on: November 10, 2023, 06:15:41 PM »
Do you know that if you go to Youtube.com and type in "The Walking Shadow Dream Theater" and listen to a three-minute song you won't die?
:lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1562 on: November 10, 2023, 06:51:18 PM »
Well, in the DT liner notes, hasn't JM thanked the Martens family?

Who reads the 'Thanks' section of the liner notes? Oh, probably the majority of the members here.  :D
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online HOF

« Reply #1563 on: November 10, 2023, 07:31:54 PM »

This refusal to want to know the TA and still comment about it seems childish.

It's not.  Jeez.

I wasn’t trying to slag it. Just not familiar with The Astonishing and thought I had been had! I’ll give it a listen.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1564 on: November 10, 2023, 07:37:41 PM »
I love quite a bit of Jordan's work in DT. The only solo spot in this category is in Beneath the Surface.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1565 on: November 10, 2023, 07:54:24 PM »
For me, Jordan's solo on Home is worthy of being up there as an iconic solo.

Absolutely this, and Octavarium. Iconic in every sense of the word.

Anyone who didn’t recognize The Walking Shadow as a DT song title knew damn well it was on The Astonishing. Where else would it be??

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1566 on: November 10, 2023, 07:58:01 PM »
The Walking Shadow has a cool King Diamond vibe.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1567 on: November 10, 2023, 09:43:46 PM »
The first few JR solos that came to mind are the opening one in "Endless Sacrifice", the ones in "1928 Overture", and the middle one in "Octavarium". 

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1568 on: November 10, 2023, 11:35:02 PM »

Octavarium is that keyboard solo for me. Just an absolutely incredible solo. Home also stands out to me; IMO it’s the only song where Jordan’s solo actually outshines John’s.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #1569 on: November 11, 2023, 12:36:38 AM »
started with Count on the way to Church because my wife woke up humming it, and ended up listening to the rest of the album that afternoon.

Your wife humming The Count, if you ever feeling like exchanging the lady, make sure you give me a call.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1570 on: November 11, 2023, 03:28:32 AM »
My first thought when someone mentions Jordan Rudess is the keyboard leads in Overture 1928.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline The Paddies

« Reply #1571 on: November 11, 2023, 03:51:27 AM »
My first thought when someone mentions Jordan Rudess is the keyboard leads in Overture 1928.

My favs as well.

Offline krands85

« Reply #1572 on: November 11, 2023, 06:52:04 AM »
I love the short solos in About to Crash Reprise and My Last Farewell  :coolio
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1573 on: November 11, 2023, 08:41:06 AM »
The moog lead in Octavarium is my first thought.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1574 on: November 11, 2023, 10:48:34 AM »

good pick.  He came out of the gate swinging and I have to think that was a somewhat deliberate choice by the band.  I knew so little when I first heard it that I was genuinely confused as to wether that was a keyboard or a guitar with some weird effect.   I was like no way a keyboard can do that!