Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 116598 times)

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« on: October 25, 2023, 08:00:15 AM »
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 25, 2023

(New York, NY) – GRAMMY®-winning, progressive music titans Dream Theater are announcing the return of drummer Mike Portnoy to the group. Portnoy will reunite with guitarist John Petrucci and bassist John Myung – the trio formed the band at the Berklee College Of Music in 1985 - along with longtime members, vocalist James LaBrie and keyboardist Jordan Rudess. Dream Theater will be going into the studio to begin working on their 16th studio album and the first with Portnoy since 2009’s Black Clouds & Silver Linings.

“I understand Dream Theater’s decision to get Mike Portnoy back at this time,” states Mike Mangini. “As was said from Day 1, my place was not to fill all the roles that Mike held in the band. I was to play the drums in order to help the band carry on. My main role of keeping our live show working tightly on a nightly basis was an intense and rewarding experience. Thankfully, I got to experience playing music with these iconic musicians, as well as some fun times laced with humor. I also really enjoyed spending lots of time with the crew.  And then there’s the GRAMMY® win, which was amazingly satisfying. To the fans: thank you so much for being amazing to me. I cherish the pictures I have of you all losing your minds and having fun. Finally, I really love the band, crew and management and wish them and the entire organization all the best.” 

“Mike Mangini’s drumming is otherworldly and I’m extremely grateful for the time he spent with us in Dream Theater. I’m very proud of all the amazing music we made together that culminated in our first GRAMMY win last year and the countless magical moments that we’ve shared on stage over the past 13 years. I wish him all the best of success in his future musical endeavors,” explains John Petrucci. “I’m incredibly excited to welcome Mike Portnoy back into Dream Theater! As an original founding member, longtime friend and incredibly talented and creative drummer,  I know that his return will bring a renewed spirit, passion and energy into DT that all of us, including our fans, will joyfully welcome. I can’t wait to roll up our sleeves and get back into the studio together!”

"It's great to be back true to form with our original drummer Mike Portnoy. We started playing together as Majesty almost 40 years ago and I am excited to see what this next phase of Dream Theater creates for the future.  I wish nothing but the best for Mike Mangini for all the blood, sweat and tears he put into DT during his 13-year tenure with the band," adds John Myung.

“Having Mike Mangini with us all these years has been, quite simply, a terrific ride. He is one of the most amazing and naturally gifted drummers I have had the pleasure of working with. Thank you Mike. Life is a very strange ride and I guess that’s what makes it all the more interesting and forever engaging. Having Mike Portnoy back in the band is exactly where we and things should be. Things have a way of going full circle and in this case, it makes perfect sense. I am excited with the prospects of this classic DT lineup being reunited. I can say with absolute confidence this will be the final incarnation of DT with many chapters still to be written well into our future. Onward and upward guys!! Welcome back MP,” states James LaBrie.

“Mike Mangini is one of the most exceptional drummers on earth and I feel privileged that we got to create a whole body of work with him. I will always be grateful for the time we shared in the Dream Theater Universe,” Jordan Rudess continues. “We are so excited to reunite the core Dream Theater family. There is a resonance of spirit and vision that is unique and goes beyond words within our relationship with Mike Portnoy. On the stage and off there is no denying the magic that happens when we are together. I’m thankful we have the opportunity to work together again as Dream Theater and am looking forward to sharing our excitement and passion with our amazing fans for a long time to come.”

“I am overwhelmed with joy to be returning home and reuniting with my brothers! There is so much shared history between us all…so many memories, so much music…to think we’re coming up on 40 years since this journey began! The idea of creating new music together is so exciting and I absolutely cannot wait to hit the road and get to play live for a whole new generation of fans that weren’t ever able to see this lineup before…There’s no place like home!!” exclaims Mike Portnoy.

Progressive metal pioneers Dream Theater share a unique bond with one of the most passionate fan bases around the globe as evidenced by their three GRAMMY® Award nominations, 2022 GRAMMY® Award win in the Best Metal performance category for “The Alien” and 15 million records sold worldwide. The 1992 opus Images & Words received a gold certification and landed on Rolling Stone’s coveted “100 Greatest Metal Albums of All-Time.” Guitar World placed the follow-up Awake at #1 on “Superunknown: 50 Iconic Albums That Defined 1994.” 1996’s A Change of Seasons notably soundtracked NBC’s coverage of Downhill Skiing at the 2002 Winter Olympics. Fans voted the 1999 Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory the “Number One All-Time Progressive Rock Album” in a 2012 Rolling Stone poll. Not to mention, it ranked as the “15th Greatest Concept Album” by Classic Rock.  2009 saw Black Clouds & Silver Linings crash the Billboard Top 200 at #6 as A Dramatic Turn of Events [2011] and Dream Theater [2013] maintained a three-peat in the chart’s Top 10. Consequence of Sound dubbed 2016’s The Astonishing, “An absolutely unique experience.”  Beyond three platinum and two gold videos, the group was inducted into the Long Island Music Hall of Fame in 2010. In 2019, the band continued to expand its audience when they released Distance Over Time to critical and commercial acclaim. On their 15th full-length and second studio release for InsideOutMusic / Sony Music, A View From The Top Of The World the band continue to challenge themselves and push their musical envelope – something they have done for over 30-years performing together. The band recently wrapped the inaugural DREAMSONIC Tour – a traveling progressive music spectacle that will return for more runs in the future.
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2023, 08:02:51 AM »
Holy shit, I didn't think I'd see it unfold like this. Thank you for the last 14 years of service Mike, and welcome back Mike :metal :metal
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2023, 08:04:27 AM »
HOLY SHIT!
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2023, 08:04:58 AM »
HELL YEAH!!!  This is the best50th birthday present I could’ve asked for!  Welcome back, Mike!!!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2023, 08:05:27 AM »
Amazing news!  A big thanks to Mike Mangini for keeping this band going when they needed to, and a big thanks to the guys in the band for rekindling their friendship and welcoming Mike #1 back.   :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2023, 08:05:34 AM »
Wow, shocked honestly.  Not that it did happen, that it happened so suddenly now.  Crazy.

Thank you Mike Mangini for keeping the music going.  So much respect for him.

Welcome back Mike Portnoy!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2023, 08:06:42 AM »
Wow.......

Just wow.....

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2023, 08:06:58 AM »
Wow... didn't see this coming. But exciting nonetheless.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2023, 08:07:01 AM »
I’m so happy right now. I am curious why they chose to part ways with Mangini, but at the end of the day, this just feels right.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2023, 08:07:29 AM »
Welcome back MP!!!!

Thank you, MM!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2023, 08:07:36 AM »
Wow, I'm genuinely shocked by this

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2023, 08:07:48 AM »
This is insane! I had no idea my dream two nights ago about Mike coming into my home and taking all my signed memorabilia was actually prophetic, LMAO. In my dream he said he didn't have any of that stuff anymore and wanted it back. I simply told him no, because I worked hard for that stuff and if he wants his signature he can just write it. I'm excited!
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline jammindude

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2023, 08:08:20 AM »
I am in complete shock! I figured he might play a one off show with them someday, but I never imagined that he would return to the band completely. Mostly just because I can’t figure out how he would except a role in the band that was less than what he had before. And I can’t envision John giving that much power back to Mike after he’s been gone for so long. I’m immediately curious as to how the new power dynamic is going to work within the band.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2023, 08:08:42 AM »
Yesssssssssssss

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2023, 08:08:54 AM »
It's nice they were able to work things out......but for the love of god keep him away from the microphone.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2023, 08:08:59 AM »
I’m excited but also feel for Mangini in this.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2023, 08:09:33 AM »
Well that made me do a fucking double-take when I saw it on Facebook. Portnoy re-joining the band at some point wouldn't have been too much of a surprise to me, but I'm shocked it happened this soon and this out of nowhere.

Why Mangini left the band is my biggest question here, especially since that post gives basically no details on that. Did the band fire him like they did with Derek back in the day? Or did Mangini want to leave?
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2023, 08:10:46 AM »
Same, honestly.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2023, 08:11:10 AM »
Interesting note by JLB saying this is the "final incarnation of DT " I know they are getting up there in age, so maybe this is going to be the last few rounds for them or recording and touring. 

Also wondering what happened to MM.  From the vague wording, it almost sounds to me like they asked him if he wanted out for MP to rejoin.  I'm clearly guessing here.  Hoping it's a positive ending because MM didn't deserve to be forced out. 

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2023, 08:11:37 AM »
To those that understand, I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand
EAT MY ASS AND BALLS
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2023, 08:11:56 AM »
Well that made me do a fucking double-take when I saw it on Facebook. Portnoy re-joining the band at some point wouldn't have been too much of a surprise to me, but I'm shocked it happened this soon and this out of nowhere.

Why Mangini left the band is my biggest question here, especially since that post gives basically no details on that. Did the band fire him like they did with Derek back in the day? Or did Mangini want to leave?

Yeah, I thought it was a fake post at first.

I get the feeling it was them “letting him go”.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2023, 08:12:14 AM »
To the doubtful I demand
EAT MY ASS AND BALLS
Real ones know
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2023, 08:13:05 AM »
Well I didn't expect that! Thanks for your service during these last 13-14 years MM, and welcome back MP. Can't wait to hear what the new album will sound like with him back in the band.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2023, 08:13:09 AM »
I wonder what the story is for this and how it came to be.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2023, 08:14:39 AM »
To the doubtful I demand
EAT MY ASS AND BALLS
Real ones know

:lol I texted my buddy the news, his response was similar

"Without love, without faith, you can eat my ass and balls"

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2023, 08:14:58 AM »
Welcome back Mike!!!

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2023, 08:17:13 AM »

Thirded. I've liked a lot of their output since Mangini joined. Shame to see him leave.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline faizoff

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2023, 08:17:47 AM »
Wow did not see that coming at all. Holy shit!
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2023, 08:18:25 AM »
Fucking Wow. Just fucking Wow!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2023, 08:18:57 AM »
Man I don't if I'm happy, mad, or depressed.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2023, 08:19:17 AM »
I imagine this is gonna sell a lot of live tickets

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2023, 08:20:03 AM »
Some of us knew. We always knew.

:heart
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2023, 08:20:18 AM »
To the doubtful I demand
EAT MY ASS AND BALLS
Real ones know

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2023, 08:20:44 AM »
Had to log on to say WOW as well!

Call me crazy, but this feels right.  As much as I really liked most of the output with Mangini, and really liked the last two albums, it feels like the excitement around the band had gone away.  Similar to 2010, this is the adrenaline shot the band needs to get the fanbase worked up again, IMO.