Author Topic: Metro's Gourmet Roulette - AND THE WINNER IS...  (Read 33102 times)

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Metro's Gourmet Roulette - ROUND 2 SCRAMBLE
« Reply #490 on: November 07, 2023, 07:36:44 AM »
Riverside is Egoist Hedonist.

Fantastic song.
Damn

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth of Wall Street
« Reply #491 on: November 07, 2023, 07:37:10 AM »
Repost for new page

Martin Miller - Something New
ibiivelns - stesdonoci ñoas
The Sword - The Black River
Agalloch - Not Unlike the Waves
Allegaeon - Called Home
Björk - Family
Riverside - Egoist Hedonist
Reliqa - I Don’t Know Who I Am
The Tea Party - Stargazer
Nightwish - Ever Dream (Live)
Aviations - Blink
Icehouse - Don’t Believe Anymore
Xaon - Eros
The Hirsch Effekt - felnji
Moron Police - Isn’t It Easy
Mutemath - Break the Same
Marillion - Afraid of Sunlight
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 08:16:32 AM by Metropolaris »

Offline HOF

« Reply #492 on: November 07, 2023, 07:46:50 AM »
Personally, I think Afraid of Sunlight is an upgrade over Neverland. AOS is a top 3 Marillion song for me, at times I might call it my favorite. Neverland is good, but less good than AOS IMO.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #493 on: November 07, 2023, 07:48:25 AM »
Personally, I think Afraid of Sunlight is an upgrade over Neverland. AOS is a top 3 Marillion song for me, at times I might call it my favorite. Neverland is good, but less good than AOS IMO.

And it's under 10 minutes :neverusethis:

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #494 on: November 07, 2023, 07:49:35 AM »
Allegaeon
Axon? Naxo? Xona?

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #495 on: November 07, 2023, 07:50:41 AM »
Allegaeon

Yes

Axon? Naxo? Xona?

None of the above  :lol

Agalloch and Allegaeon. This will not be confusing.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #496 on: November 07, 2023, 08:00:12 AM »
Is the song called Rose?

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #497 on: November 07, 2023, 08:00:36 AM »
Also wrong  ;D

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #498 on: November 07, 2023, 08:03:41 AM »
Xaon - Eros

Motherf*cker :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #499 on: November 07, 2023, 08:12:59 AM »
 :rollin
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #500 on: November 07, 2023, 01:03:22 PM »
And the last couple of answers:

Invisible - Doscientos Años
Allegaeon - Called Home
Björk - Family
Reliqa - I Don’t Know Who I Am
Nightwish - Ever Dream (Live)
Aviations - Blink
Xaon - Eros
The Hirsch Effekt - Lifnej

Will have first impressions posted this evening.

No secret menu artists this time.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #501 on: November 07, 2023, 01:17:14 PM »
This is my problem, I have heard of maybe 6 bands in that list. I forget how this place humbles me in terms of my collection. It's huge (roughly 35,000 songs), but most of you are speaking Greek when it comes to a lot of this.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #502 on: November 07, 2023, 01:19:34 PM »
This is my problem, I have heard of maybe 6 bands in that list. I forget how this place humbles me in terms of my collection. It's huge (roughly 35,000 songs), but most of you are speaking Greek when it comes to a lot of this.

There's some really ... eclectic .... tastes amongst DTFrs.  There's probably a reason you haven't heard of 1/2 of these!  :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online faizoff

« Reply #503 on: November 07, 2023, 01:19:38 PM »

You and me both my friend, in my family and friend circles, my collection is already obscure and huge. But here I'm an ant in the company of giants.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline HOF

« Reply #504 on: November 07, 2023, 01:30:44 PM »
There is a lot of music being made and we can now access almost everything being made by people all over the world via streaming. There’s more bands and music than any one person can know and be familiar with. And we have people here from all over the world, so that helps broaden the horizons of what’s out there.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #505 on: November 07, 2023, 01:41:08 PM »
I'm a page late but for what it's worth I'm enjoying the anonymity approach and think it adds a uniqueness to this roulette that's very cool. If you're finding it a headache to manage Metro then fair enough if you want to scrap it, but I'll miss it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #506 on: November 07, 2023, 01:51:22 PM »

You and me both my friend, in my family and friend circles, my collection is already obscure and huge. But here I'm an ant in the company of giants.

Bolded for truth. Perfect summation.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #507 on: November 07, 2023, 02:04:31 PM »
I'm a page late but for what it's worth I'm enjoying the anonymity approach and think it adds a uniqueness to this roulette that's very cool. If you're finding it a headache to manage Metro then fair enough if you want to scrap it, but I'll miss it.

Yeah, if at all possible I'd prefer if we work out how to keep it going.  Having the host guess who sent what is a wrinkle we don't often see. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #508 on: November 07, 2023, 02:13:19 PM »

Just noticed this.  Bonus points because I just listened to this album yesterday.   :lol

Online faizoff

« Reply #509 on: November 07, 2023, 02:30:27 PM »

Yeah, if at all possible I'd prefer if we work out how to keep it going.  Having the host guess who sent what is a wrinkle we don't often see. 

I too like this setup, I can imagine it being a pain to setup but it's intriguing to know that a host has listened to it blind without knowing the sender.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #510 on: November 07, 2023, 03:02:55 PM »
I'm kind of with you there. I mean my music collection is a little over 100,000 songs now, but even I haven't heard of 5 of the artists in this round.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #511 on: November 07, 2023, 03:04:27 PM »
Ok, you guys seem to like it, so I’ll continue with the google form.

Just noticed this.  Bonus points because I just listened to this album yesterday.   :lol

Blank Space is the only song I liked, and really the only T Swizzle song I like altogether.  :lol But I got tired of having The Silver Cord as my icon since I was so underwhelmed by it, so I changed it to something more topical.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #512 on: November 07, 2023, 08:33:10 PM »
I'm kind of with you there. I mean my music collection is a little over 100,000 songs now, but even I haven't heard of 5 of the artists in this round.

I think there's only three I haven't heard of, but I'm definitely not well-versed with most of them. 

Ok, you guys seem to like it, so I’ll continue with the google form.

Blank Space is the only song I liked, and really the only T Swizzle song I like altogether.  :lol But I got tired of having The Silver Cord as my icon since I was so underwhelmed by it, so I changed it to something more topical.

That one doesn't do much for me, but "Style" is pretty cool, and "Wildest Dreams" is pretty decent.  She has scattered good songs, but so far I don't see the appeal on an album/discography level. 

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Metro's Gourmet Roulette - ROUND 2 FIRST IMPRESSIONS
« Reply #513 on: November 07, 2023, 09:11:56 PM »
ALRIGHT Round 2 First Impressions / Guesses
Or as I'm calling it from here on out...

STUMP THE SLOTH

Like before, I will not explain my magic reasoning. Sorry it's so late. It's been a day.

Very energetic and melodic. Tasty lead guitar. Reminded me of Spock’s Beard.

My Guess: HOF

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Invisible - Doscientos Años
If my limited Spanish vocabulary is correct, this means "200 Years"? Very chill, love the vibe. Really love the outro.

My Guess: Sacul

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Love the riffs. You mentioned in your submission that the vocals aren’t great, but they fit the vibe, and I totally agree.

My Guess: ProfessorPeart

Musically solid. Never delved much into Black Metal. The growls or snarls or whatever you call them are kinda silly.

My Guess: Puppies

Allegaeon - Called Home
Very Opeth. Perhaps too much like Opeth. I was shocked to find that Mikael Åkerfeldt didn’t sing guest vocals on this. Opeth comparisons aside, I liked this one.

My Guess: lonestar

Björk - Family
You know in Twin Peaks when they’re in the Black Lodge and everyone talks backwards? That’s what this felt like. Love Twin Peaks, I don’t know how I feel about this.

My Guess: Buddyhunter1
Correct Sender: Lizzo

I don't know, this didn't go anywhere interesting for me. Maybe it'll grow on me.

My Guess: faizoff
Correct Sender: Buddyhunter1

Reliqa - I Don’t Know How I Am
Christ, this one hits the ground running. And it’s running all over the place. Love the vocals. Love the energy.

My Guess: TAC

This pairs nicely with some hot tea. Simple song, but I like it a lot.

My Guess: wolfking
Correct Sender: faizoff

Nightwish - Ever Dream
I’ve always thought symphonic metal sounds so cheesy. Still do, but this is alright. Powerful vocals. GodDAMN. But the backing vocalist is obnoxious. Shut up, dude.

My Guess: jingle.boy

Aviations - Blink
Musically interesting. 9.5 minutes flew by. Don't love the vocals.

My Guess: King Postwhore

I like the vibe of the intro. Reminds me of an Ice level in a video game. Gets kinda dreary towards the end.

My Guess: Lizzo
Correct Sender: wolfking

Xaon - Eros
Mostly good. About 2.5 minutes too long.

My Guess: Evermind

The Hirsch Effekt - Lifnej
This was just too much of too much.

My Guess: ariich
Correct Sender: twosuitluke

ok wow

My Guess: twosuitluke
Correct Sender: ariich

Great vibe and groove. Not sold on the vocals.

My Guess: romdrums

I like H's voice the more I hear it. I love the Fish-era, but this era really is it's own thing, isn't it?

My Guess: Wildranger
Correct Sender: Stadler
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 06:23:58 AM by Metropolaris »

Offline HOF

« Reply #514 on: November 07, 2023, 09:15:43 PM »
Correct on me and Martin Miller. That's a pretty good guess.

Also correct that H era Marillion is it's own thing (and on the whole has a lot more to offer than the Fish era IMO, with H being the superior vocalist and a more universal lyricist as well). 

Online faizoff

« Reply #515 on: November 07, 2023, 09:24:23 PM »

this is me  ;)

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #516 on: November 07, 2023, 09:41:44 PM »
I'm Riverside.

Also, fuck.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #517 on: November 07, 2023, 09:45:18 PM »
Icehouse was one of the bands I don't think I'd ever heard of.   :lol   I know Icefish though.  Gave this song a listen and I can see why someone might think it's me.  Pretty cool tune with the saxophone and fretless bass. 

I sent Bjork.  It's probably a challenging song on the first listen.  Hopefully it grows on you. 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #518 on: November 07, 2023, 09:55:28 PM »
Nailed my submission.

Also nice to see Wildranger playing.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #519 on: November 07, 2023, 10:09:58 PM »
Icehouse was one of the bands I don't think I'd ever heard of.   :lol   I know Icefish though.  Gave this song a listen and I can see why someone might think it's me.  Pretty cool tune with the saxophone and fretless bass. 

I sent Bjork.  It's probably a challenging song on the first listen.  Hopefully it grows on you.

I wouldn't expect anyone here to know them.  Classic 80s Australian band with some amazing songs.  The whole mood of the song for me is haunting and incredible.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #520 on: November 07, 2023, 10:51:30 PM »
I do like Hirsch Effekt but not that's not me. I was Moron Police, and I don't know what to make of my two word impression but I'm hoping it's positive!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #521 on: November 07, 2023, 11:12:50 PM »
Correct for mine. I just hope the vocals don't drag it down for you.

Fun fact. Ashes Against the Grain (which this song is taken from) bored me to death the first time I heard it and I didn't go back to it until a couple years later. Now it's my 4th favorite album of all time.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #522 on: November 07, 2023, 11:28:38 PM »
Correct for mine. Disagree about the song being too long. :)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #523 on: November 08, 2023, 12:09:21 AM »
Well Rich has already said he sent Moron Police, so this is a bit redundant, but I didn't send Moron Police :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: November 08, 2023, 03:01:56 AM »
Correct for mine. I just hope the vocals don't drag it down for you.

Fun fact. Ashes Against the Grain (which this song is taken from) bored me to death the first time I heard it and I didn't go back to it until a couple years later. Now it's my 4th favorite album of all time.

Mason sent me Falling Snow years ago in I think my first roulette.  It got a good score but I was disappointed with the rest of the album.  That song kept dragging me back and I tried The Mantle and it's now become one if my fav albums of all time.  Falling Snow I think is still their best song but I still can't fully come around to the whole album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.