Author Topic: Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - John finished recording guitar parts  (Read 116420 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - John finished recording guitar parts
« Reply #2310 on: May 10, 2024, 08:54:03 PM »
One thing I DON'T want:  some tribute to Charlie because they feel like they "have to" because of the fans. 

I feel bad saying this, but I can't imagine there would be a ton a fans at a show clamoring for a tribute to the guy who sang on one album 35 years ago.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline EPIC Outro

Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - John finished recording guitar parts
« Reply #2311 on: May 10, 2024, 10:48:28 PM »
Then they should play it for those dedicated fans who are clamoring for such a tribute.

Offline gborland

« Reply #2312 on: May 11, 2024, 05:45:48 AM »
Then they should play it for those dedicated fans who are clamoring for such a tribute.

Not that many, honestly.
Graham Borland

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #2313 on: May 11, 2024, 06:51:59 PM »
I can imagine dedication of a single song but I don't think it's going beyond that. It's clearly not a popular album and I don't think that's why everyone is clamoring for this tour.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2314 on: May 11, 2024, 08:17:01 PM »
I can imagine dedication of a single song but I don't think it's going beyond that. It's clearly not a popular album and I don't think that's why everyone is clamoring for this tour.

HA The Charlie Dominici Memorial Tour (and Mike Portnoy is back too, and it's their 40th anniversary)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #2315 on: May 11, 2024, 08:49:16 PM »
One song would be plenty. And given that this is their 40th anniversary tour, I think it's unlikely they won't represent their first album - especially since they haven't played anything from it in nearly a decade.

I also think those three big drum hits that start A Fortune in Lies would be a great way to start a concert - and signal Portnoy's return.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #2316 on: May 12, 2024, 09:16:19 AM »
No recent updates. JM must be recording.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2317 on: May 12, 2024, 09:22:50 AM »

It all makes sense :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Kocak

« Reply #2318 on: May 12, 2024, 12:03:12 PM »

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #2319 on: May 12, 2024, 02:11:59 PM »

Brilliant.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2320 on: May 12, 2024, 05:28:18 PM »
I'm fairly sure the last DT album I listened to without hearing a note of it ahead of time was Octavarium. Going to make an attempt at that again, almost 20 years later  :lol. Going to be real difficult if a single is out 2 months ahead of time and everyone is raving about it . . .

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #2321 on: May 14, 2024, 12:50:23 AM »
I asked JR on Patreon when keyboard tracking was gonna start and he said June. They’re either taking their time to record this or it’s taking a lot of time to record. Makes me wonder what they actually have cookin.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #2322 on: May 14, 2024, 02:40:51 AM »
damn, and then vocals still have to be recorded, if lyrics are already done by then

Offline illusionist

« Reply #2323 on: May 14, 2024, 03:01:07 AM »
I asked JR on Patreon when keyboard tracking was gonna start and he said June. They’re either taking their time to record this or it’s taking a lot of time to record. Makes me wonder what they actually have cookin.

Jordan is on tour with the Dregs again.
June is coming very soon.
My guess is that lyrics take a lot of time to be written, and they want them to be fitting for what they have come up with musically.
Especially if it's a concept album. Or, a double album.
But thanks for the update since we aren't Patreons and don't have access to Jordan privately.

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #2324 on: May 14, 2024, 04:41:58 AM »

Following their regular schedule, I too think it seems longer tha usual, which can mean either that they are into something, like a longer than usual album, or they are just taking their time to make it as good as possible.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 04:49:10 AM by evilasiojr »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2325 on: May 14, 2024, 05:04:15 AM »
I guess now that MPs back in the band, its....

....time to take the tiiiiiiiiiime.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2326 on: May 14, 2024, 06:49:17 AM »
Following their regular schedule, I too think it seems longer tha usual, which can mean either that they are into something, like a longer than usual album, or they are just taking their time to make it as good as possible.

Wouldn't the writing period be the moment to do that? now they're recording it, drum tracks are already there and you  can't variate from it, there's only so much you can do to improve a song that you already wrote, and for which drum tracks are already there waiting for you....
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2327 on: May 14, 2024, 06:58:39 AM »
Wouldn't the writing period be the moment to do that? now they're recording it, drum tracks are already there and you  can't variate from it, there's only so much you can do to improve a song that you already wrote, and for which drum tracks are already there waiting for you....
There's a ton you can still do, from additional/complementary guitar patches/voicings to multiple keyboard voicings and layers to all kinds of other sweeteners, such as guest musicians/orchestral parts.  Really, the sky is the limit, and there's no reason that any of that kind of thing had to be "completed" in the writing stage.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2328 on: May 14, 2024, 07:37:48 AM »
Not saying this is what they'll do, but if they already have some lyrics written by the time they finish with the bass, they could totally start recording the vocals without having to wait for Jordan to return... BUT it does seem like they're taking longer than usual with this.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2329 on: May 14, 2024, 09:53:15 AM »
To me, it just seems DT kind of got started a bit early.  Basically they got started on this album before completing their previous commitments so guys like MP and JR have come and gone from the studio since the process began.  Basically a huge positive for owning your own studio is you don't have to manage the time the same way as renting it out.  I'm not really sure, from my understanding, that the timing of this has anything to do with them cooking up something special (that may be happening, who knows) or them running into any issues, but just the way the scheduling is working out.

Offline gborland

« Reply #2330 on: May 14, 2024, 10:02:08 AM »
Either way, the fact that it is taking a long time is a good thing, IMO. If they're busy with other commitments, that still means they're allowing time for everything to settle and not doing a rush job. If they realise that with the benefit of a few weeks' respite there's something in a song that just isn't working, they can still tweak.
Graham Borland

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2331 on: May 14, 2024, 10:15:39 AM »
Look, speculation alert and I'll be the first to admit there is literally not one gram of evidence to support this, and in fact probably more than a couple pieces of evidence that point AGAINST this (including my own words from a couple months ago) but it is a thought that crossed my mind this morning:

Do you think maybe on the JP solo tour Mike and John talked about something unique or different or whatever for an album or at least an album/tour/cycle, and that triggered John to realize "hey, maybe we need to get back to our core group again"?  I'm not implying that anything they do couldn't have been done with Mike M., but for example, The Astonishing; it's simple physics that that project would have been different had Mike Portnoy been in the band.  I can't tell you HOW different - arrangements, lyrics, art, format, whatever - but simply having a different voice in the band would have by definition changed that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2332 on: May 14, 2024, 10:17:03 AM »
Either way, the fact that it is taking a long time is a good thing, IMO. If they're busy with other commitments, that still means they're allowing time for everything to settle and not doing a rush job. If they realise that with the benefit of a few weeks' respite there's something in a song that just isn't working, they can still tweak.

Yeah, I think I'd rather them say, hey lets break for a couple weeks and come back rather than hey we have a couple more days lets cram it all in.  But it's all still speculation other than a fact that they own their studio which allows them to have this flexibility.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2333 on: May 14, 2024, 11:01:53 AM »

Do you think maybe on the JP solo tour Mike and John talked about something unique or different or whatever for an album or at least an album/tour/cycle, and that triggered John to realize "hey, maybe we need to get back to our core group again"?  I'm not implying that anything they do couldn't have been done with Mike M., but for example, The Astonishing; it's simple physics that that project would have been different had Mike Portnoy been in the band.  I can't tell you HOW different - arrangements, lyrics, art, format, whatever - but simply having a different voice in the band would have by definition changed that.

Well, like you said, it's simple physics. Probably not notable other than being obvious.

I wouldn't say nothing was discussed on that tour, but I feel like it might be a stretch to think that there might be some specific direction of detail of their upcoming album. I mean. Maybe.

Maybe Mike tried to talk JP into doing something non instrumental outside of DT with a different vocalist. A new project, if you will. Who knows? I guess anything is possible.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2334 on: May 14, 2024, 12:07:50 PM »
I'm hoping they double-checked if they actually can manufacture the physical albums by October then if they don't deliver a master by July-ish :-X

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2335 on: May 14, 2024, 12:58:29 PM »
I bet they will get the CDs out in time but I won't be surprised if people are waiting until 2025 for vinyl albums - and they may have a disclaimer on preorders for that.

It might seem counterintuitive, but I think the recording schedule points very strongly to them trying to get the album out before the tour starts, with the worst case being a release mid European tour (which I think happened for ADTOE/BCSL maybe?). With JR and MP being so busy in the first half of the year and no touring plans for the summer, I feel like they would just wait for schedules to clear up and record later in the year rather than stagger things the way they have been if there wasn't a hurry to get everything finished in a timely manner. I'm also happy to hear that the band seems to be getting it done while also not rushing.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #2336 on: May 14, 2024, 02:44:20 PM »
Sits back in my chair, knowing I was probably right about the album not being out before tour started even though everyone chastised me lol
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline gborland

« Reply #2337 on: May 14, 2024, 04:30:44 PM »
Even a broken clock is right twice a day...
Graham Borland

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2338 on: May 14, 2024, 04:38:43 PM »
Who's to say that the drum tracks can't be rearranged, altered or whatever if they felt it necessary, or even that MP could return to the studio and do something more? While the songs in general have been written, there's still plenty of room for lots of creativity until they get to the mixing and mastering stages, and even then, there's some room for creativity there although far less.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2339 on: May 14, 2024, 09:41:53 PM »

:rollin

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #2340 on: May 15, 2024, 07:22:32 AM »
Take all the time you need, DT. Even if the album is delayed significantly, that only matters in the here and now. A decade from now, all that will matter is the quality of album they gave us and where it sits among the rest of their discography.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #2341 on: May 15, 2024, 07:41:48 AM »
Take all the time you need, DT. Even if the album is delayed significantly, that only matters in the here and now. A decade from now, all that will matter is the quality of album they gave us and where it sits among the rest of their discography.

I agree completely. I'd be totally OK if the first tour was mainly focused on their career retrospective and only included one or two new songs if it meant the album coming out later (and being the best it can be)
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2342 on: May 15, 2024, 07:52:05 AM »
Look, speculation alert and I'll be the first to admit there is literally not one gram of evidence to support this, and in fact probably more than a couple pieces of evidence that point AGAINST this (including my own words from a couple months ago) but it is a thought that crossed my mind this morning:

No it wouldn't.

Using The Astonishing as an example is poor form.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2343 on: May 15, 2024, 09:46:36 AM »
Plus I think I said it first ;D

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2344 on: May 15, 2024, 09:50:03 AM »
Was the idea that the album wouldn't come out before the tour began really that shocking? I'm sure some people will always disagree with something, but it seemed somewhere been obvious and completely plausible.
fanticide.bandcamp.com