News:

The staff at DTF wish to remind you all that a firm grasp of the rules of Yahtzee can save your life and the lives of your loved ones.  Be safe out there.

Main Menu

DT16 Timeline Thread - James starts recording vocal parts

Started by Max Kuehnau, August 02, 2023, 03:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evz and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

TAC

Quote from: Glasser on May 17, 2024, 11:03:19 AM
Did you like Madmen and Sinners?

I don't recall checking it out, to be honest. Who was in that again? Was that a Matt Barlow thing?
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Glasser

Quote from: TAC on May 17, 2024, 11:05:21 AM
I don't recall checking it out, to be honest. Who was in that again? Was that a Matt Barlow thing?

Tim please check it out!!! It's a JLB thing.

TAC

Quote from: Glasser on May 17, 2024, 11:06:49 AM
Tim please check it out!!! It's a JLB thing.

:facepalm:

That's right.

I may actually have the CD at home. I don't remember. I think I do though. Unfortunately, I don't have it loaded on my iPod.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Glasser

Quote from: TAC on May 17, 2024, 11:12:14 AM
:facepalm:

That's right.

I may actually have the CD at home. I don't remember. I think I do though. Unfortunately, I don't have it loaded on my iPod.

TAC

dparrott

Quote from: Stadler on May 15, 2024, 01:01:38 PM
They should take 2 or 3 minute snippets of the epic, take them out of context and release them as singles.  Maybe issue a 12" maxi-single with a dub version, or have someone like Pettibone or William Orbit do a remix.

;).

No.  Release the fucking album, I say.

YES!! Bring back vinyl b-sides!

Taking your time while making music is always a good thing.  I learned that lesson the hard way when making my music.

hefdaddy42

Quote from: TAC on May 17, 2024, 11:01:20 AM

???

Well, hate is a bit strong, but in general, I prefer to follow bands than a musician going from project to project. One-off things don't really appeal to me.
I mean, good music appeals to me.  Some of my favorite albums are from projects rather than regular bands.

But whatever.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

TAC

I know the term "super group" gets thrown around a lot, but I generally find those kinds of things disappointing.

Yeah, I'm all for good music too. :)

TheHoveringSojourn808

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on May 17, 2024, 12:08:18 PM
I mean, good music appeals to me.  Some of my favorite albums are from projects rather than regular bands.

But whatever.

One of my favorite records is that JP/JR duo live album they did (I believe it was before JR was in DT as well). JP is mostly on an acoustic guitar.

So yeah, agreed. Project/Band doesn't matter to me as much as "good" does

Adami

Quote from: TheHoveringSojourn808 on May 17, 2024, 03:18:02 PM
One of my favorite records is that JP/JR duo live album they did (I believe it was before JR was in DT as well). JP is mostly on an acoustic guitar.

I think he was all electric on that album,  just the acoustic pickups. Wish he did acoustic though.

Also it was after JR joined DT.
[url="//www.fanticide.bandcamp.com"]www.fanticide.bandcamp.com[/url]

TheBarstoolWarrior

Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I do not personally know any present or former members of DT. From time to time where the context is or should be obvious, I may decline to explicitly label my words as opinion. I cannot predict the future.

ReaperKK

Quote from: TheHoveringSojourn808 on May 17, 2024, 03:18:02 PM

I love that record, link if there is anyone who hasn't heard it: https://open.spotify.com/album/4JFji3dzH5cFYsGeg4IWTS?si=uDh__TrjQHOkFzBqS0iZ5w

That was all his MM guitar by the way, not a true acoustic. I think that album had JP's best piezo tone.

mariner

It was after JR joined.  In fact, I believe it was post-9/11.

TheHoveringSojourn808

Thanks for the corrections, all. Didn't realize that was JP on an electric.

Metro

ReaperKK

I ended up listening to a good chunk of An Evening with JR and JP today and I gotta say I think that might be some of JR's best work aside from SDOIT.

HOF

I think that album/style of music is a more fitting venue for what Rudess does well than DT to be honest.

nobloodyname

"I'm not just liking Dream Theater to get in your pants."

ReaperKK

Doesn't the bootleg have a couple more songs? Or am I misremembering?

Setlist Scotty

Quote from: ReaperKK on May 19, 2024, 06:21:42 AM
Doesn't the bootleg have a couple more songs? Or am I misremembering?
No, you're correct. Besides all the in-between track dialogue, Bite of the Mosquito and Hourglass (from LTE2) were also performed, although a studio version of Bite of the Mosquito was included on the CD. The original 2000 Sound Mind Music issue didn't even have State of Grace, The Rena Song or Bite of the Mosquito, so at least the 2004 Favored Nations reissue was more complete. I'm guessing Hourglass was omitted from the reissue to keep it to a single CD.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on November 13, 2015, 07:37:14 PMAs a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.
Quote from: TAC on July 10, 2024, 08:26:41 AMPOW is awesome! :P

TheHoveringSojourn808

I'd love to hear the bootleg som- ope, don't wanna get myself banned :lol

Skeever

Quote from: Adami on May 17, 2024, 03:34:30 PM
I think he was all electric on that album,  just the acoustic pickups. Wish he did acoustic though.

Also it was after JR joined DT.

He was, if I'm correct, using his piezo pickup. Sure, still his electronic guitar, but just amplifying its natural acoustic resonances.
I don't love the sound of piezo pickups, but I do consider it to be an acoustic sound.

OpenYourEyes311

Quote from: Setlist Scotty on May 19, 2024, 11:52:58 AM
No, you're correct. Besides all the in-between track dialogue, Bite of the Mosquito and Hourglass (from LTE2) were also performed, although a studio version of Bite of the Mosquito was included on the CD. The original 2000 Sound Mind Music issue didn't even have State of Grace, The Rena Song or Bite of the Mosquito, so at least the 2004 Favored Nations reissue was more complete. I'm guessing Hourglass was omitted from the reissue to keep it to a single CD.

I always really liked this album, but does anyone know where the non-LTE songs came from? Were they written specifically for this concert? Were they jams? Were they written during LTE1&2? SFAM? I never knew and I never heard of them being performed again. And when did they record the studio version of BotM?

hefdaddy42

Quote from: OpenYourEyes311 on May 20, 2024, 07:27:15 AM
I always really liked this album, but does anyone know where the non-LTE songs came from? Were they written specifically for this concert? Were they jams? Were they written during LTE1&2? SFAM? I never knew and I never heard of them being performed again. And when did they record the studio version of BotM?
Most of those pieces were written for this specific performance, if memory serves.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Setlist Scotty

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on May 20, 2024, 08:19:11 AM
Most of those pieces were written for this specific performance, if memory serves.
Exactly. I believe they were sketched out with basic structures, but they left room for improvisation, too. And IIRC, the track From Within was just an improv piece JR did on the spot, hence its name.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on November 13, 2015, 07:37:14 PMAs a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.
Quote from: TAC on July 10, 2024, 08:26:41 AMPOW is awesome! :P

OpenYourEyes311

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on May 20, 2024, 08:19:11 AM
Quote from: Setlist Scotty on May 20, 2024, 09:18:05 AM
Exactly. I believe they were sketched out with basic structures, but they left room for improvisation, too. And IIRC, the track From Within was just an improv piece JR did on the spot, hence its name.

Thanks for the info!

emtee

Last 2 DT albums did not have the auto-rip option on Amazon when you bought the physical copy. Every other album I've bought recently DID offer it. Does anybody know if that is a band/label decision, or if not, who determines that. I really love having the digital version available immediately after purchase.

Glasser

Quote from: emtee on May 21, 2024, 07:45:16 AM
Last 2 DT albums did not have the auto-rip option on Amazon when you bought the physical copy. Every other album I've bought recently DID offer it. Does anybody know if that is a band/label decision, or if not, who determines that. I really love having the digital version available immediately after purchase.

The last one did. I have it.

emtee

Quote from: Glasser on May 21, 2024, 12:11:23 PM
The last one did. I have it.

Mine didn't. Wonder why. Thanks for responding though

Glasser

Quote from: emtee on May 21, 2024, 12:15:03 PM
Mine didn't. Wonder why. Thanks for responding though

Sometimes the auto rip gets added after time. I bought the lossless version on Qobuz first, then bought the CD a bit later. D/T had it as well, just checked.

emtee

On Amazon? I just looked and don't see the auto-rip on either.

Sorry for derailing....

Glasser

Quote from: emtee on May 21, 2024, 12:28:48 PM

Sorry for derailing....

Mine has them on Amazon. Let me screen shot....

cramx3

OOC, I checked DoT and AVFTTOTW on amazon, and both include the autorip with the CD purchase for me.

Glasser

Quote from: emtee on May 21, 2024, 12:28:48 PM

Sorry for derailing....

emtee

Thank you! So...for whatever reason that autorip detail is not visible when looking at my phone but on my laptop it is. I looked everywhere on my phone for an additional detail section but it just isn't there. Very strange. When I bought both albums it was on my phone but that shouldn't have mattered. If autorip is available, you get it no matter how you order it. Invincible Shield came with autorip. Anyhow, I learned something today so thanks for the assistance!