Author Topic: DT16 Timeline Thread - MP finished recording drum parts, recording continues  (Read 98187 times)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
It's that time (again!), and I'm here for it. This is the timeline thread for DT16. As usual, any and all updates will be added in as and when they happen (and I'll find them. Please message me in case you might be faster than me in some cases) Again, thanks very much to Sebastiàn Pratesi for starting the tradition with me in 2018. This will likely be my final timeline thread until MM rejoins (in case that ever were to happen).

Here we go:

Preface:

August 1st: John mentions studio time for DT16 to be slated to begin at the end of 2023 or early 2024, also mentions more 8 string action (https://metalinjection.net/upcoming-releases/dream-theater-is-plotting-studio-time-for-a-new-album?utm_campaign=later-linkinbio-metalinjection&utm_content=later-36882929&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkin.bio)

Late August 2023: Jordan mentions working on solo music first.
Late September 2023: Jordan is working on his solo album.
October 25th, 2023: MP returns. (as has been well documented everywhere)
January 27th, 2024: John mentions DT starting the DT16 sessions in less than two weeks. (https://youtu.be/HRyiPpQMLlo?feature=shared&t=890)
--end of preface--
February 8th: DT16 sessions initiated (https://www.instagram.com/p/C3GRFUrueWY/?igsh=b29oaGpxYjAwcmtq)
March 6th: John and JT at DTHQ only as of now, because of Jordan's (and probably MP's) involvement in Cruise To The Edge, sessions will resume in full lineup afterwards (https://www.instagram.com/p/C4Lz6ajuRSL/)
March 15th: James is working on (not recording, sorry, my mistake) vocals at DTHQ (https://www.instagram.com/p/C4jQ92_OntI/?igsh=MTF5ZXNodXdjZjF0Mw%3D%3D)
March 21st: Writing sessions continue (https://www.instagram.com/p/C4ydpo-OiFD/)
April 8th: MP finished recording drum parts, recording continues (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-5TGTFeGKNNkj9kFS8R7E5Bu6DUnkISg/view)

« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 05:24:31 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Mladen

Here we go again.  :tup

Offline gzarruk

I'm ready :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Not really all that thrilled about the "8-string".  None of the music I really dig engages that instrument with any regularity.   Just write good songs, and play them well.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Not really all that thrilled about the "8-string".  None of the music I really dig engages that instrument with any regularity.   Just write good songs, and play them well.

An 8 string can add cool dimensions, but JP has said he will not change his playing style and will simply play the 8 string the same way he would play a 7 string. So you'll just get more low chug, sadly. Lots of possibilities, but doesn't look like we'll see them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online The Letter M

*Looks at thread title on main forum page*
"More 8"

Sooooo... DT16 is a sequel to Octavarium, being that 16 = 8 x 2?  :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
I see you intended to be funny, but this is because of the thread title character limit, as mundane as it is. Everything will need restructuring through the course of leading up to DT16 anyway.

Offline efx

Range of instrument has for me no meaning in of itself, it's just a tool in the end. I liked ATM though, I was fearing it would be more Meshuggah inspiried as a lot of people go that route (and as much as Meshuggah is my favorite band, they're impossible to copy) but he ended up using it in a cool way.

Offline jimgolf

More 8  :metal :metal

Online The Letter M

I see you intended to be funny, but this is because of the thread title character limit, as mundane as it is. Everything will need restructuring through the course of leading up to DT16 anyway.

I figured it had to do with the thread subject character limit, but I couldn't resist. Also, it's likely the album will come out in 2024 at some point, and the sum of the digits in 2024 equals.... you guessed it - 8. ;)

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mr.Mister

Yay! Let's do a fun wish list

Realistic Wishlist: keep making the albums they want to make and sound how they want it.

Fanboy wishlist:
- 12 strings accoustic - John can create magic accoustic sounds.
- Vocal instrumentation from James: he can add so much to songs with sounds beyond the lyrics.
- Epics: they do them so well and while we just got AVFTTOTW I wouldn't mind another one.
- Groovy bass sections: as in ones where JM takes center stage
- Instrumentals: it's been a minute since one
- Concepts: it doesn't have to be a concept album but I remeber finding out about a mind beside itself and it made me want to listen to the songs more and dissect them. (Also because the songs are so great - but I like the nerdfest that comes with nuggets).

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
Yay! Let's do a fun wish list

Realistic Wishlist: keep making the albums they want to make and sound how they want it.

Fanboy wishlist:
- 12 strings accoustic - John can create magic accoustic sounds.
- Vocal instrumentation from James: he can add so much to songs with sounds beyond the lyrics.
- Epics: they do them so well and while we just got AVFTTOTW I wouldn't mind another one.
- Groovy bass sections: as in ones where JM takes center stage
- Instrumentals: it's been a minute since one
- Concepts: it doesn't have to be a concept album but I remeber finding out about a mind beside itself and it made me want to listen to the songs more and dissect them. (Also because the songs are so great - but I like the nerdfest that comes with nuggets).
I have nothing against mentioning wishes, but there is a speculation thread for this specifically. (you can find it below or above mine on the main page. It blew up the timeline thread for View unneccessarily. I want to keep this one to facts (although I absolutely don't mind any humour)

Offline pg1067

*Looks at thread title on main forum page*
"More 8"

Sooooo... DT16 is a sequel to Octavarium, being that 16 = 8 x 2:lol

JP's new axe:

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
I mean, possibly yes. He just needs to bulk up even more for this one. :D  He could do it well though.

Offline Architeuthis

I'm sure Tosin has some influence on JP leaning towards the eight string even more than on AVFTTOTW. Those guys had a lot of fun touring together and are likely good friends now.    :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
Shout-out for the effort Max, really slayed that thread when Distance and A View came out. Can't wait, honestly.

And I really, really would like an Octavarium pt. 2.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline TheCountOfNYC

I’d love more Mike Mangini lyrics, because Room 137 can’t be his only lyrical contribution to the band. Would also love for Jordan to take a crack at some lyrics, I feel like he would crush it.

Letting the bass take center stage here and there would be nice, and not just for an intro.

Vocal harmonies please. Dream Theater doesn’t do stuff like Forsaken or the beautiful agony section of A Nightmare to Remember anymore, which is a shame, because it really added so much to their music.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
I’d love more Mike Mangini lyrics, because Room 137 can’t be his only lyrical contribution to the band. Would also love for Jordan to take a crack at some lyrics, I feel like he would crush it.

Letting the bass take center stage here and there would be nice, and not just for an intro.

Vocal harmonies please. Dream Theater doesn’t do stuff like Forsaken or the beautiful agony section of A Nightmare to Remember anymore, which is a shame, because it really added so much to their music.
not correct, since View (the piece) had its middle movement feature vocal harmony parts (not unlikely to the beautiful agony section of Nightmare, but different, luckily)
And JM did take centre stage for quite a bit during View itself too (all my natural instincts are begging me to stop) and sections of The Alien and some others. (doesn't mean to say I wouldn't welcome these aspects to be developed further, but it's wrong to think they weren't present on View)

Anyway, we'll see what they will come up with, since every album is a clean slate.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 02:54:04 PM by Max Kuehnau »

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
Shout-out for the effort Max, really slayed that thread when Distance and A View came out. Can't wait, honestly.

And I really, really would like an Octavarium pt. 2.
Thanks very much, one does their best. My pleasure. (I do like to think I did a better job in 2020 and 2021 for View than I did in 2018 and 2019 for D/T, but to each their own)

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission

I am sure JP plans on using the 8 string for a good song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

That's not what I meant (and I think you know that).   :tup :tup

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni

Why not just delete "more 8" from the title? It's superfluous, really.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - Studio time slated to begin late 2023/early 2024
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2023, 07:34:03 AM »
I just did. I will always do my best to keep the updated titles through the course of this album cycle as concise as I can anyway

Offline Mladen

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2023, 09:27:23 AM »
So wait, there's not gonna be more 8?  :omg:

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2023, 09:28:47 AM »
more 8 string guitar parts, yes

(I'm sure there won't be any references to Octavarium on DT16, or, worse, a continuation of the album or concept (some thought so), because DT never make the same record twice, and to me that's a good thing)

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2023, 12:07:51 PM »

(I'm sure there won't be any references to Octavarium on DT16, or, worse, a continuation of the album or concept (some thought so), because DT never make the same record twice, and to me that's a good thing)

in b4 but what about ADTOE?

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2023, 02:26:17 PM »
No. I won't tolerate any more derailment. I will report back when there is more news. See you soon everyone.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2023, 05:53:27 AM »

in b4 but what about ADTOE?

Hey, if you're going to use one of your past albums for inspiration it should be your best one  :lol

Thank God they did that.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2023, 09:36:33 AM »
Very excited. AVFTTOTW was amazing. They showed how creative, virtuosic and fresh their music can be. What will the next album bring?

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2023, 12:32:15 PM »
Anything said about the new album in JP's Guitar Universe by any chance?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2023, 08:18:51 AM »
There are two things that immediately come to mind:

1.  More 8  :metal :metal

And also...

2.  More 8  :metal :metal
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2023, 08:36:26 AM »
i'm hoping for more piano from Rudess, less effects on JLB's vocals, MM getting the drums to sound like he wants, and moar of that basstone JM got on the view

Offline Kocak

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2023, 05:22:14 AM »
I would like DT to mix things up a little:

1. Work with an outside producer.
2. Work with anyone but Hugh Syme for the artwork.