Author Topic: Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - John finished recording guitar parts  (Read 135015 times)

jonny108 and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The best MM Era ballad is The X Aspect. IMO.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain

DESPERATION BLINDS ME
BUT THROUGH THESE BLOODSTAINED EYES I SEE THE LIGHT
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

If by that you mean "This Is The Life", then I agree.  Beneath The Surface and Along For The Ride are in a tight battle for second, IMO.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
This is the Life has some of the coolest atmosphere of a song DT has ever done. It feels grand and elevated. Seems underrated.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
This is the Life has some of the coolest atmosphere of a song DT has ever done. It feels grand and elevated. Seems underrated.

I think This Is The Life is one of DT's best written songs.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lightbug

Oh yeah. The "life begins with an empty slate" part always get me.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape

This. Would love a little more of 'this' on the next album.

Offline Progmaniac1988

Been kinda quiet in the studio past couple weeks. Seems MP has been home, and no vocals have started yet as far as we all know. Guessing the band is waiting for Jordan to come back and finish keyboards before they start on vocals? Maybe they have and haven’t told us? I can’t imagine MP wouldn’t want to be there for it too.

Offline Dream Team

Great acoustic guitar in that one.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
Been kinda quiet in the studio past couple weeks. Seems MP has been home, and no vocals have started yet as far as we all know. Guessing the band is waiting for Jordan to come back and finish keyboards before they start on vocals? Maybe they have and haven’t told us? I can’t imagine MP wouldn’t want to be there for it too.

I have concerns too. just a few weeks ago people were chiding me for suggesting this album wouldn't be out before the first show in Britain but it's pretty obvious this album isn't coming out before that
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
I have concerns too. just a few weeks ago people were chiding me for suggesting this album wouldn't be out before the first show in Britain but it's pretty obvious this album isn't coming out before that
How is it obvious? The first show isn’t until October. It was May by the time Dramatic Turn of Events was finished, they still have plenty of time.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Welcome to the Forums!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
How is it obvious? The first show isn’t until October. It was May by the time Dramatic Turn of Events was finished, they still have plenty of time.

Exactly.

Exactly.

All comes down to the physical availability. If every vinyl plant is busy pressing Metallica and TS LPs it's going to delay things. So DT might have to face the choice of delaying or releasing digital only first (which I think feels incredibly unlikely for the big push for the new album/MP hype)
Welcome to the Forums!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
All comes down to the physical availability. If every vinyl plant is busy pressing Metallica and TS LPs it's going to delay things. So DT might have to face the choice of delaying or releasing digital only first (which I think feels incredibly unlikely for the big push for the new album/MP hype)

If anything, they'll delay the vinyls, but I'd expect every other format to be released pre-tour.

Relax, man.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
I'd be surprised if we aren't hearing the new album by September.

If anything, they'll delay the vinyls, but I'd expect every other format to be released pre-tour.

Relax, man.

Speaking of, do you guys ever think that some of the bad blood between JLB and MP (in the past, we're clearly in their friendship era now) could be due to JLB's son being a drummer. I was listening to some Falset earlier today and was thinking about it. Just think, your kid can follow in your footsteps, but instead he follows in the footsteps of the guy who tried to boot you from the band, the drummer, no less.

Now, I know the bad blood is now good blood (AKA in the past) so this might be moot, but it was interesting to think about

Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
All comes down to the physical availability.
No, it doesn’t.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth of Wall Street

No, it doesn’t.

It definitely can and does. New Music Friday is a big thing in record stores, and not having physical product to push with the big release date isn't common these days. Just sayin'
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Speaking of, do you guys ever think that some of the bad blood between JLB and MP (in the past, we're clearly in their friendship era now) could be due to JLB's son being a drummer. I was listening to some Falset earlier today and was thinking about it. Just think, your kid can follow in your footsteps, but instead he follows in the footsteps of the guy who tried to boot you from the band, the drummer, no less.

Now, I know the bad blood is now good blood (AKA in the past) so this might be moot, but it was interesting to think about

I hope you know that JLB plays drums as well (Well, used to).

I didn't know that, how would you say his drumming skills compare to, say, either of the DT Mikes?
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline gzarruk

IIRC, James himself said that's not true.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jammindude

I miss WildRanger…
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline crystalstars17

IIRC, James himself said that's not true.

Really? I seem to remember an interview where he said he first started out with drums?
"Whether by your will or not, there is no ship now that can bear me hence." ~ Arwen, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
I hope the new album isn't out for the tour, and they play a "greatest hits" type setlist instead. There's nothing I hate more than a band playing songs from an album that only came out a few days ago. New album once the tour ends, then kick off the album tour in the US, come back to Europe after that.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

I hope the new album isn't out for the tour, and they play a "greatest hits" type setlist instead. There's nothing I hate more than a band playing songs from an album that only came out a few days ago. New album once the tour ends, then kick off the album tour in the US, come back to Europe after that.

I agree with this great post by the Lord of the Night (Do you like Black Sabbath?)

Also, welcome to the forums!
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline emtee

I agree with this great post by the Lord of the Night (Do you like Black Sabbath?)

Also, welcome to the forums!

Is this an ongoing joke you continue to run with? It was funny for a short time but now...

And why try to stir the pot again with your earlier post? What is the reason for such a post?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Speaking of, do you guys ever think that some of the bad blood between JLB and MP (in the past, we're clearly in their friendship era now) could be due to JLB's son being a drummer.
What?  No, of course not.

Was it really?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Madman Shepherd

Really? I seem to remember an interview where he said he first started out with drums?

He did indeed. In fact, for one of the first bands he was in I believe he was the vocalist/drummer. Maybe Coney Hatch? When his son first started playing drums, he sat down at the set for the first time since the mid 80s and realized he'd forgotten everything he knew.

Was it really?

It was for me. Was hoping to spark some discussion if anyone here did as well (and it looks like it did, so mission accomplished :tup)

Have a good day, dad
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Dream Team

Dude, stop.

No one’s making him stop, so . . .

Offline Dream Team

It was for me. Was hoping to spark some discussion if anyone here did as well (and it looks like it did, so mission accomplished :tup)

Have a good day, dad

You’re sarcastically calling a senior mod “dad” now? Ok  :lol we’ll see how long you get away with that.

You’re sarcastically calling a senior mod “dad” now? Ok  :lol we’ll see how long you get away with that.

It's his username, and I've been doing it for a while now. Have a great day!

For further context, I consider hefdaddy a father poster of sorts. He has guided me on numerous occasions and has been really helpful with my becoming one of the regular posters here.

FWIW, you're welcome to ignore my posts if you don't like them. I'm sure others do. I'm not gonna pretend to be the most popular person, or even the smartest, but I do promise to bring fun and good/thoughtful takes on Dream Theater, a band we all love, no matter how strange they may be. Please respect people's diversity of thought and opinion. What I find strange is your urge to respond to every single post I make with some kind of condescending comment, hope you find some better things to do than follow me around scolding me for every post I make. Again, have a great day! :)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 10:40:38 AM by TheHoveringSojourn808 »
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline gzarruk

When his son first started playing drums, he sat down at the set for the first time since the mid 80s and realized he'd forgotten everything he knew.

I think this is what I was (mis)remembering when I posted before. Sorry about the confusion.

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."