Author Topic: Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - John finished recording guitar parts  (Read 124986 times)

Rob24 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Sycsa

Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - DT16 sessions initiated
« Reply #1330 on: March 05, 2024, 08:17:39 AM »
As for CDs they've become a bit obsolete in my world. With streaming services everywhere, CDs feel like a blast from the past. I mean, who needs a whole stack of discs when you can have your entire music library at your fingertips?

Well, that's the problem for me.  Streaming services are NOT, in fact, "everywhere."  I am regularly in places where there is no Internet service, and thus no ability to stream, and I'm not the only one.  So I've never understood the position that streaming is all you need.
IDK about Spotify, but with Apple Music you can download everything to your phone just as easily as you can stream and play it back without an internet connection.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1331 on: March 05, 2024, 08:19:26 AM »
As for CDs they've become a bit obsolete in my world. With streaming services everywhere, CDs feel like a blast from the past. I mean, who needs a whole stack of discs when you can have your entire music library at your fingertips?

Well, that's the problem for me.  Streaming services are NOT, in fact, "everywhere."  I am regularly in places where there is no Internet service, and thus no ability to stream, and I'm not the only one.  So I've never understood the position that streaming is all you need.
IDK about Spotify, but with Apple Music you can download everything to your phone just as easily as you can stream and play it back without an internet connection.

Exactly, I use offline playlists a lot. Especially when I'm out walking.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1332 on: March 05, 2024, 08:45:00 AM »
I like vinyl, the artwork on those record sleeves, it's like holding a piece of art in your hands. Plus, there's a certain warmth to the sound that you just can't replicate.

As fo become a bit obsolete in my world. With streaming services everywhere, CDs feel like a blast from the past. I mean, who needs a whole stack of discs when you can have your entire music library at your fingertips?

Fair point, but for me streaming is complimentary - i prefer to own a physical product (vinyl, CD) - both to "hopefully" give something back to the artist (which is why i buy merch after shows, or directly ordering from the artists).

It's convenient, but sound quality is questionable (at least for some services like Spotify).
And it's not ownership of the media, so i prefer to rip my CDs/Vinyls to have them available when offline as well.

Same here. In addition, I always read the liner notes, thank yous, lyrics and art. Of course a lot of bands phone it in with that stuff, but rather than pick and choose I just get it all. I don't trust technology and yeah, my media collection is a big burden in some ways but there's comfort knowing I can always just grab it off the shelf or use it ad a conversation starter.

I'm the same way with books but have far fewer though still in the hundreds

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1333 on: March 05, 2024, 09:08:14 AM »

Exactly, I use offline playlists a lot. Especially when I'm out walking.

That would be great...if Android had a similar analog to Apple Music.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1334 on: March 05, 2024, 09:19:54 AM »
You can download songs into your phone with  Spotify if you pay for the subscription.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Random Access Sloth
« Reply #1335 on: March 05, 2024, 09:21:23 AM »
Streaming is convenient until it isn’t. I follow a lot of band subreddits on Reddit, and I’m always seeing people complaining “Album X isn’t available on Spotify anymore” or stuff like that.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1336 on: March 05, 2024, 09:27:36 AM »
Urinetown lol

Incredibly funny and argute musical dealing with politics, capitalism, and water shortage in a dystopian future. Highly recommended.

I've been in Urinetown twice! Once in college, and once just last year! Fun show to be in, Melody's probably having a blast!
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1337 on: March 05, 2024, 09:28:13 AM »
Streaming is convenient until it isn’t. I follow a lot of band subreddits on Reddit, and I’m always seeing people complaining “Album X isn’t available on Spotify anymore” or stuff like that.

Bingo. They can change what they want when they want. The algorithm can change to make it harder to listen to bands you want because other bands or labels will pay to get their stuff heard first. Only a matter of time before they start putting adds *in* songs, unless you pay the super deluxe premium platinum prescription

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #1338 on: March 05, 2024, 09:29:27 AM »
Love the love for Deep Purple.  Count me in!
All right!

Since the vibe here got so Purple, allow me to share this one minute clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4OtLAnHOmo
It speaks volumes about the level of musical joy they still have at 75-78. I saw them last year and was a bit concerned because of their age, but they absolutely put on my favorite show so far, and I saw them plenty of times since 2007. I'm going again this year, I highly recommend everyone to check them out while the sun still shines.

I hope DT will have a similar longevity.
What an awesome clip. I saw someone not Steve Morse playing guitar and got super confused. Just learned he left a couple of years back because his wife has cancer. Best of luck to them both, that's really rough. My heart goes out to them.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1339 on: March 05, 2024, 09:52:19 AM »

That is more of a contractual/digital rights issue than just "it's not available anymore". The rights vary by artists, labels, regions, etc.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1340 on: March 05, 2024, 10:03:26 AM »

That is more of a contractual/digital rights issue than just "it's not available anymore". The rights vary by artists, labels, regions, etc.

Not always. I really don't like streaming because I don't always know what version I'm going to get.  When Ozzy changed the Blizzard/Diary tracks, I theoretically couldn't get the originals.  In theory, of course, because in reality I had the physical CD and could listen to them any time I wanted!  :)

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1341 on: March 05, 2024, 10:06:03 AM »

Not always. I really don't like streaming because I don't always know what version I'm going to get.  When Ozzy changed the Blizzard/Diary tracks, I theoretically couldn't get the originals.  In theory, of course, because in reality I had the physical CD and could listen to them any time I wanted!  :)

True. The way Apple Music handles that is you go to the album, then you scroll to the very bottom and you can se "Other Versions" of that album. But yes, you are right, not every version is available.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1342 on: March 05, 2024, 10:23:38 AM »

On a side note, I remember when that happened. I was SO pissed that I took lunch the day I found out, went to the local used CD shop, and bought the last versions of his records that featured Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake, instead of the replacement tracks.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 12:14:30 PM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline gborland

« Reply #1343 on: March 05, 2024, 10:31:49 AM »
I use Spotify in offline mode on Android all the time.
Graham Borland

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1344 on: March 05, 2024, 11:43:11 AM »
Because of my age I naturally used to be a hard-core "physical media only" guy but financially it just can't hold up forever. I mean, just counting a small number of my favorite bands means there's over 100 CDs of just studio releases to shuffle around and keep track of, not even counting the dozens of other bands/artists I listen to regularly. So I have a couple cases of CDs in my car but none in the house.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1345 on: March 05, 2024, 11:44:49 AM »

On a side note, I remember when that happened. I was SO pissed that I took lunch the day I found out, went to the local used CD shop, and bought the last versions of his records that featured Bob Daisley and whoever else, instead of the replacement tracks.

Lee Kerslake.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1346 on: March 05, 2024, 12:14:02 PM »
Thanks Paul. Fixed.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1347 on: March 05, 2024, 01:04:37 PM »
I’m a CD guy to my grave. Same goes for movies.
You buy movies on CD?   :omg:

:biggrin:
(I'm all about physical media too - happy to have my CD and Blu-ray collection)

ever heard of a laser disc? might be before your time
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #1348 on: March 05, 2024, 02:25:52 PM »
MP posted a new pic at IG and the board is not blurred this time... Where are the detectives to find out what's written there?  ;D

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1349 on: March 05, 2024, 02:34:06 PM »
MP posted a new pic at IG and the board is not blurred this time... Where are the detectives to find out what's written there?  ;D
Here is the picture

Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

« Reply #1350 on: March 05, 2024, 02:34:43 PM »
Detective Sojourn at your service
Welcome to the Forums!

« Reply #1351 on: March 05, 2024, 02:40:22 PM »
reads to me like it says:

Attaboy
--------

Attaboy Intro
Attaboy Main Riff
7/8 Section  ((blast beats))
Johnny & Santo
Yogurt Diaries Pt. 1
Yogurt Diaries Pt. 2
The epic Meshuggah part
Outro / Finale

I think this is pretty telling. Attaboy is presumably a working title, but it looks like it could be the skeleton/structure of an epic? I'm excited for a Johnny & Santo esque section (some kind of Sleep Walk sounding riff but maybe played by JR on the Continuum???), not looking forward to the Meshuggah part because i'm not really into djent much (unless I misread Michael, that part of the pic is pretty blurry - would it be Jackson or Buble tho?), and i know a wonky 7/8 section with blast beats will be pretty epic

Yogurt diaries is an interesting concept too but it might also be another working title. Maybe the name of a character? Are we getting a concept album??

EDIT: Just realized the usual styling was Santo & Johnny, so maybe this is a clue that they will play Sleep Walk in reverse?
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1352 on: March 05, 2024, 02:43:27 PM »
I’m a CD guy to my grave. Same goes for movies.
You buy movies on CD?   :omg:

:biggrin:
(I'm all about physical media too - happy to have my CD and Blu-ray collection)

ever heard of a laser disc? might be before your time
Laserdiscs are not CDs....
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

« Reply #1353 on: March 05, 2024, 02:45:11 PM »
i agree, it's kind of like if vinyl and dvd had a baby
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1354 on: March 05, 2024, 03:09:45 PM »

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1355 on: March 05, 2024, 03:13:19 PM »

Attaboy
--------

Attaboy Intro
Attaboy Main Riff
7/8 Section  ((blast beats))
Johnny & Santo
Yogurt Diaries Pt. 1
Yogurt Diaries Pt. 2
The epic Meshuggah part
Outro / Finale

I think this is pretty telling. Attaboy is presumably a working title, but it looks like it could be the skeleton/structure of an epic? I'm excited for a Johnny & Santo esque section (some kind of Sleep Walk sounding riff but maybe played by JR on the Continuum???), not looking forward to the Meshuggah part because i'm not really into djent much (unless I misread Michael, that part of the pic is pretty blurry - would it be Jackson or Buble tho?), and i know a wonky 7/8 section with blast beats will be pretty epic

Yogurt diaries is an interesting concept too but it might also be another working title. Maybe the name of a character? Are we getting a concept album??

EDIT: Just realized the usual styling was Santo & Johnny, so maybe this is a clue that they will play Sleep Walk in reverse?

Not really crazy at the idea of them doing once again an ultra modern metal approach but congrats on the sleuthing!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1356 on: March 05, 2024, 03:19:17 PM »
^ What he said.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #1357 on: March 05, 2024, 03:58:13 PM »

Attaboy
--------

Attaboy Intro
Attaboy Main Riff

My guess is Jitterbug.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1358 on: March 05, 2024, 04:35:51 PM »
So... do you think they are already recording the album or just demoing the songs?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #1359 on: March 05, 2024, 04:43:08 PM »
I would bet they are already recording it

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1360 on: March 05, 2024, 04:44:26 PM »
So... do you think they are already recording the album or just demoing the songs?

Mike indicates that JP is already beginning to track his guitars. I'd assume that JM will do his bass once the drums are finalized as well so they mesh together. Keys will probably come later, with the vocals last, but it looks like they're slowly beginning the recording process and I'd assume most of, if not the entire album is already written, though changes can still be made in the tracking and over-dubbing process.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1361 on: March 05, 2024, 05:05:42 PM »
Maybe the same method they were used to in the past, of recording the songs as they were being composed?  Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think they have an entire album written yet and ready for just record it.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline DTwwbwMP

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1363 on: March 05, 2024, 09:00:10 PM »
Maybe the same method they were used to in the past, of recording the songs as they were being composed?  Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think they have an entire album written yet and ready for just record it.
Yeah, I'm of the mind they're probably writing and recording simultaneously. Considering the "forced" break for MP and JR, maybe they sketched out rough ideas for some songs for the other guys (or at least JP) to work on while they're away. But I wouldn't be surprised if they're *not* completely done with the songwriting yet. IIRC, with SDoIT, they finished writing and recording everything instrumentally that ended up on disc 1 before JP and MP did their first G3 tour (writing lyrics during that time) and then ended up writing the title track after they returned, and that tour ran a full month by comparison. So this being just a week or so away, I'd expect they'll resume writing and recording after MP and JR return.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #1364 on: March 06, 2024, 01:41:07 AM »
They've been in the studio for a month and to me this sounds like they're still not done writing. A good sign in my book.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."