Author Topic: DT16 Timeline Thread - MP finished recording drum parts, recording continues  (Read 98121 times)

Plasmastrike, sfam2112, KevinJonathanPetrucci and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - James recording vocal parts
« Reply #1435 on: March 18, 2024, 09:04:32 AM »
But I do hope his vocals are doing better and when the time comes to perform live, he's got things under control better than the last tour.

Agreed, 💯. This is my sincerest hope as well.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1436 on: March 18, 2024, 09:43:26 AM »
Getting more excited every day to hear new DT. I may end up not listening to any singles though because I want that first full listen on the headphones to be untarnished.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1437 on: March 18, 2024, 10:09:59 AM »
Getting more excited every day to hear new DT. I may end up not listening to any singles though because I want that first full listen on the headphones to be untarnished.

Me too.  100%.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1438 on: March 18, 2024, 10:28:54 AM »
MP just posted:

Hitting the Rec Button on the Drum Cam before laying down my drum tracks for Song #5 on Saturday… Hmmm, this may be my fav track so far?!? I dunno…I’m luving them ALL! 😉😎🥁 Moving onto starting writing Song #6 today… #DT16 #DreamTheater2024
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #1439 on: March 18, 2024, 10:34:56 AM »
He posted the message along this pic (the board is still too blurried...)

Online HOF

« Reply #1440 on: March 18, 2024, 10:38:49 AM »
At least 6 tracks written then. Sounds like they are tracking after having already written them, so I suppose they may be done writing.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1441 on: March 18, 2024, 10:42:35 AM »

Me too.  100%.

I won't be listening, either.

But here's a sneak preview of the forum's thoughts on the first available track:

1) DT by numbers
2) I've heard those fills a million times before
3) James sounds all right but where's the melody?
4) Not a fan of MP's background vocals
5) Snare sounds great!
6) Too metal
7) Production's rubbish
8) Drums are too loud
9) Lyrics are hilarious
10) Mangini was replaced for THIS?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 10:49:01 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1442 on: March 18, 2024, 10:42:48 AM »
At least 6 tracks written then. Sounds like they are tracking after having already written them, so I suppose they may be done writing.
That's what it sounds like to me, but I don't like making suppositions.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1443 on: March 18, 2024, 10:45:19 AM »
@nobloodyname

I think you nailed all of them!  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1444 on: March 18, 2024, 10:46:10 AM »

Am I missing something? 

He hit the Drum Cam record button on Saturday to "lay down tracks for song 5".  I'm assuming "laying down tracks" is a euphemism for recording the track. So song five is written, and he likes that best of the five that are written.   THEN he says "moving on to WRITING song six today".  So 6 IS NOT written, and it sounds to me as if they are TRACKING EACH SONG after writing EACH SONG, so since they're starting writing today for another song, they're NOT done writing yet.

Am I missing something (not trying to be argumentative, just explaining how I read that). 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1445 on: March 18, 2024, 10:49:08 AM »
That's how I understood it as well, they're recording each song separately.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1446 on: March 18, 2024, 10:53:23 AM »
You are correct Stads. Some folks are desperate to get this album through a time machine  :lol.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1447 on: March 18, 2024, 10:57:00 AM »
so the title of the thread isn't really accurate...

Offline gborland

« Reply #1448 on: March 18, 2024, 11:01:24 AM »
So it's not a concept album, then.  ;D
Graham Borland

Online HOF

« Reply #1449 on: March 18, 2024, 11:47:27 AM »

Am I missing something? 

He hit the Drum Cam record button on Saturday to "lay down tracks for song 5".  I'm assuming "laying down tracks" is a euphemism for recording the track. So song five is written, and he likes that best of the five that are written.   THEN he says "moving on to WRITING song six today".  So 6 IS NOT written, and it sounds to me as if they are TRACKING EACH SONG after writing EACH SONG, so since they're starting writing today for another song, they're NOT done writing yet.

Am I missing something (not trying to be argumentative, just explaining how I read that).

Ah, yeah, that is what he said. I misread and thought he was tracking song 6.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1450 on: March 18, 2024, 11:50:58 AM »
3) James sounds all right but where's the melody?
9) Lyrics are hilarious

Unfortunately, these two seem very likely to me.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #1451 on: March 18, 2024, 12:24:01 PM »

Wish I was on that boat as well, but being so curious, I know I can't sit on my patience for months.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1452 on: March 18, 2024, 12:34:41 PM »

Wish I was on that boat as well, but being so curious, I know I can't sit on my patience for months.

I am going to listen. I simply can't wait. DT songs are so "much" anyway, it'll be good to get a head start on the album.

There is so much hype this time. I mean, there always is, but obviously there will be more this time. So, I am curious to hear how much let down there will be. Because... there is always griping.

The songs are too long!"
"The songs are too short!"
"James doesn't sound right"
"Too much noodling"
"Too much metal"
"Not enough metal"
" I've heard that before"

Whether a song is a top song, or a bottom song. Dream Theater is just better. I have an employee who streams music out in our front shop. ( a killer stereo system) He usually puts on Rush Radio from Pandora. There are a lot of DT songs played.  :metal Just today Room 137 came on. Definitely not a favorite and I never listen to it. But...geeze.. it was really enjoyable to hear in that context. It beat the heck out of the Def Leppard that came on after.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1453 on: March 18, 2024, 12:39:02 PM »
MP just posted:

Hitting the Rec Button on the Drum Cam before laying down my drum tracks for Song #5 on Saturday… Hmmm, this may be my fav track so far?!? I dunno…I’m luving them ALL! 😉😎🥁 Moving onto starting writing Song #6 today… #DT16 #DreamTheater2024

Great news!! Well, I guess that confirms, as Stadler said, that the band is writing and recording one song at time, restarting the process next. I hope that it brings a good diversity to album. Also it seems like it's not a concept album, I'm happy with that too.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1454 on: March 18, 2024, 12:40:07 PM »

Sadly DT stopped being an automatic buy for me. So I'll definitely need to check out a few songs before I buy it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #1455 on: March 18, 2024, 01:03:34 PM »
I am going to listen. I simply can't wait. DT songs are so "much" anyway, it'll be good to get a head start on the album.

Count me in!!!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 04:38:23 AM by crystalstars17 »

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1456 on: March 18, 2024, 01:04:11 PM »
I see the emoji, so I'm guessing you're half-joking, but why couldn't it be? This is the same method they used for writing/recording SFaM.

There is so much hype this time. I mean, there always is, but obviously there will be more this time. So, I am curious to hear how much let down there will be. Because... there is always griping.
There will always be ASSumptions made. Just wait until the album title and song titles are announced - then people will really start to jumping to conclusions. I still remember when the track listing for ToT was released, and a lot of people ASSumed DT was going Christian rock based on the song titles and that MP had just been working with Neal Morse, who had recently quit Spock's Beard and Transatlantic to pursue his solo career as a Christian artist.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1457 on: March 18, 2024, 01:36:29 PM »
I see the emoji, so I'm guessing you're half-joking, but why couldn't it be? This is the same method they used for writing/recording SFaM.

There will always be ASSumptions made. Just wait until the album title and song titles are announced - then people will really start to jumping to conclusions. I still remember when the track listing for ToT was released, and a lot of people ASSumed DT was going Christian rock based on the song titles and that MP had just been working with Neal Morse, who had recently quit Spock's Beard and Transatlantic to pursue his solo career as a Christian artist.

I dread that day as much as I anticipate hearing the music.  I remember when the titles and times of Flying Colors was released.  Everyone just assumed the two longest songs - Blue Ocean and Infinite Fire - were going to be best and people were lamenting "WTF?  KAYLA?" 

Here we are x years later, the two long songs are barely in the top half of the record for me, and "Kayla" is my favorite FC song they've done.  Times and titles are artificial; it's the MUSIC that matters.

Online Adami

« Reply #1458 on: March 18, 2024, 02:05:48 PM »
I thought Better Than Walking Away was your favorite.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #1459 on: March 18, 2024, 02:06:41 PM »

Oh god. I remember those ToT days. Was crazy. I also remember everyone accidentally downloading EOP and thinking it was 8VM and having a field day.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1460 on: March 18, 2024, 02:24:48 PM »
I thought Better Than Walking Away was your favorite.

Well, it is certainly the most emotionally resonant, but it's sometimes hard to listen to.  It hits pretty close to home.  That song is more or less two years of my life.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1461 on: March 18, 2024, 03:47:01 PM »

I believe, from Scenes to Black Clouds, DT written all the songs instrumentally and record one song at a time and, after all songs were recorded instrumentally, then they focused on writting lyrics for all the songs and James would record his vocals after all this process. It seems now that they are making it differently, completing the writing of the songs with lyrics, with James also recording it after that, one song at a time. It's not impossible, since they can have all the themes and plots of the story maped out before hand, but it seems more difficult to make a conceptual album this way.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1462 on: March 18, 2024, 03:55:06 PM »
Or this... "the single is OK but I hope it's the weakest song on the album"

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1463 on: March 18, 2024, 04:04:13 PM »

I believe, from Scenes to Black Clouds, DT written all the songs instrumentally and record one song at a time and, after all songs were recorded instrumentally, then they focused on writting lyrics for all the songs and James would record his vocals after all this process. It seems now that they are making it differently, completing the writing of the songs with lyrics, with James also recording it after that, one song at a time. It's not impossible, since they can have all the themes and plots of the story maped out before hand, but it seems more difficult to make a conceptual album this way.
Actually ToT was written the "old" way in that they worked out the songs instrumentally in a rehearsal studio and recorded demos before taking them into a proper studio to record them. Regarding the other 4 albums from that lineup, yes the songs were all written and recorded simultaneously. Then they took the time to work out vocal melodies and lyrics, although the guys may have started even developing some ideas before finishing the proper recording of the instruments. I'm pretty sure they're doing the same thing with this album as well. Even with MM in the lineup, it seems that lyrics were always worked out last (as is evident from the fact that there's the official bootleg of the d/t demos, and they are also instrumental). So while JL is in the studio with the band (as he also was with 8v and SC), and it's possible he may be thinking of some vocal melodies for some of the songs, I'm pretty confident that the vocal melodies and especially lyrics won't really be worked on until the songs are written and recorded instrumentally.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1464 on: March 18, 2024, 04:11:24 PM »
Yes, true, ToT had demos. Hum, I have understood that James was already recording his parts. Maybe it's like you said, just him following the process and thinking about vocal melodies and lyrics in advance.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1465 on: March 18, 2024, 05:08:07 PM »

This is something I always say...."If this is my favorite song on the album, I'm not gonna be happy."
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1466 on: March 18, 2024, 07:04:40 PM »

This is something I always say...."If this is my favorite song on the album, I'm not gonna be happy."

I feel the same but oddly Alien turned out to be one of my favorite songs on View but my first opinion was this at first.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1467 on: March 18, 2024, 07:14:54 PM »

I feel the same but oddly Alien turned out to be one of my favorite songs on View but my first opinion was this at first.

The Alien is a fucking badass tune.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1468 on: March 18, 2024, 08:09:16 PM »

I'm shocked how much I quite enjoy it now after hating it at the start.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1469 on: March 18, 2024, 08:57:29 PM »

I'm shocked how much I quite enjoy it now after hating it at the start.

Alien Is a fab song. When it starts, I think. "Ya, cool." But by the time it finishes, I feel like clapping and hitting the repeat button.