News:

Video of online chat between fans and members of Dream Theater:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx8cLlXnHpA&feature=youtu.be (*no chickens were harmed during the filming of this chat)

Main Menu

DT16 Timeline Thread - James finishes recording vocal parts

Started by Max Kuehnau, August 02, 2023, 03:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeRoX

Maybe an epic that divides into 4 or 5 songs like SDOIT and an epic individual. Or MP just meant that another epic to add their epic catalogue.

MirrorMask

I've read the Instagram post and from the context it seems that he's talking about another epic for the new album aside from one that they evidently have already written.

Come on, it's not out of the realm of possiblities that they write more than one long song.

But again, I'm not a native speaker so some nuances might be lost on me, but reading that message it implies, to me, "another epic beside another one already written".

Stadler

Love that shirt.  Might investigate the inter webs on that one.

Lonk

hefdaddy42

I don't care what he meant by it.  I don't have to speculate, I will know once the album comes out.

#CrankyOldMan
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

pg1067

Progmaniac1988

Hey, I'm sure we have many album updates that JM is just dying to share with the world. Just as much as he wanted to share info of his new bass tone on the AVFTTOTW documentary 😂

Max Kuehnau

Updated to include most recent information and corrections of some other bits

(note that Jordan will be on tour with The Dixie Dregs very soon, so he will again be absent at some point. We will see how the recording process will unfold. The Dregs are well worth checking out btw, in case anyone here hasn't heard of them yet)
All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am

Stadler

Quote from: Max Kuehnau on March 22, 2024, 10:06:02 AM
Updated to include most recent information and corrections of some other bits

(note that Jordan will be on tour with The Dixie Dregs very soon, so he will again be absent at some point. We will see how the recording process will unfold. The Dregs are well worth checking out btw, in case anyone here hasn't heard of them yet)

Second, third and fourth on the Dregs.  I saw them from the front row at a small theater in CT a couple years ago and it was one of the most entertaining shows I've been to in a long time.  You've got to pay attention, because those fuckers can play, but there's a great spirit of camaraderie too, so it's not two hours of sheer wankery.  They well and truly like each other and have fun playing.

gzarruk

The Dregs tour will start in a little less than a month. I'd say there's plenty of time for them to finish writing, or even recording depending on how fast everything's going, by then. Unless they're making another double album...

TAC

Quote from: gzarruk on March 22, 2024, 11:21:01 AM
The Dregs tour will start in a little less than a month. I'd say there's plenty of time for them to finish writing, or even recording depending on how fast everything's going, by then. Unless they're making another double album...

How long is the Dregs tour?
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Max Kuehnau

Quote from: TAC on March 22, 2024, 11:21:42 AM

April 17th - May 22nd
All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am

TAC

Quote from: Max Kuehnau on March 22, 2024, 11:23:30 AM

April 17th - May 22nd

Thank you.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Puppies_On_Acid

A double album would not be outside the realm of possibility. Having not recorded together in over 14 years, they might have a lot of fresh ideas.
Quote from: Evermind on May 06, 2024, 07:39:06 AMHey Stadler, your inbox is full.
Quote from: ReaperKK on August 29, 2024, 06:42:26 PMthat distractingly handsome son of a bitch is gonna make it hard
Quote from: Drunk TACThes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

pg1067

April 17th - May 22nd

Is that right?  The website says it's only eight dates between April 18-27.  https://dixiedregs.com/

Setlist Scotty

Quote from: pg1067 on March 22, 2024, 12:10:39 PM
April 17th - May 22nd
Is that right?  The website says it's only eight dates between April 18-27.  https://dixiedregs.com/
It's been extended:
https://blabbermouth.net/news/dixie-dregs-add-eight-shows-to-spring-2024-u-s-tour
Quote from: BlobVanDam on November 13, 2015, 07:37:14 PMAs a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.
Quote from: TAC on July 10, 2024, 08:26:41 AMPOW is awesome! :P

gzarruk

Quote from: King Puppies and the Acid Guppies on March 22, 2024, 12:10:07 PM
A double album would not be outside the realm of possibility. Having not recorded together in over 14 years, they might have a lot of fresh ideas.

They already did LTE 3, which kind of counts, but I guess it's not the same.

The Letter M

Quote from: gzarruk on March 22, 2024, 01:03:49 PM

And JP's 2nd solo album before that. DT16 will be Mike and John's third album together of the past 4-5 years, and I'm glad they did those two before he rejoined because now I think their chemistry in the studio will be locked in and I imagine the new DT will be the best they could put together.

-Marc.

gzarruk

Quote from: The Letter M on March 22, 2024, 01:13:29 PM
Quote from: gzarruk on March 22, 2024, 01:03:49 PM

And JP's 2nd solo album before that. DT16 will be Mike and John's third album together of the past 4-5 years, and I'm glad they did those two before he rejoined because now I think their chemistry in the studio will be locked in and I imagine the new DT will be the best they could put together.

-Marc.

You're right! I completely forgot about TV. And LTE 3 also had Jordan, who's the main DT writer alongside JP, so they should already be quite comfortable writing together, as you just mentioned.

TheHoveringSojourn808

Quote from: pg1067 on March 22, 2024, 08:42:46 AM
Quote from: TheCountOfNYC on March 21, 2024, 09:09:56 PM
JM isn't even on social media.

Maybe HoJo is JM....

haha definitely not, i promise.

and for any mods who might be reading all my posts: I never in any way said I was or implied I knew, had any relation, or connection to, John Myung of the band Dream Theater

Jamesman42

\o\ lol /o/

Puppies_On_Acid

Quote from: Evermind on May 06, 2024, 07:39:06 AMHey Stadler, your inbox is full.
Quote from: ReaperKK on August 29, 2024, 06:42:26 PMthat distractingly handsome son of a bitch is gonna make it hard
Quote from: Drunk TACThes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

nobloodyname

Quote from: TheHoveringSojourn808 on March 22, 2024, 04:37:09 PM

Maybe HoJo is JM....

and for any mods who might be reading all my posts: I never in any way said I was or implied I knew, had any relation, or connection to, John Myung of the band Dream Theater

I laughed :biggrin:
"I'm not just liking Dream Theater to get in your pants."

Wim Kruithof

It's like stalking, almost contantly checking this thread to see if there's anything new about #16.

TheHoveringSojourn808

Quote from: nobloodyname on March 23, 2024, 12:33:51 AM
Quote from: TheHoveringSojourn808 on March 22, 2024, 04:37:09 PM

Maybe HoJo is JM....

I laughed :biggrin:

glad i can make some people happy lmao

Metro

crystalstars17

Quote from: Wim Kruithof on March 23, 2024, 05:30:47 AM
It's like stalking, almost contantly checking this thread to see if there's anything new about #16.

It's getting wearisome, isn't it? 🙄 All we can hope for is that it's worth all this dragged-out silence and secrecy.

Of course I've never been around for a new album release during a Portnoy era, so this may be more normal for many of you than it is for me.
fangirl (noun) : a girl or woman who is an extremely or overly enthusiastic fan of someone or something

fangirl (verb) : to exhibit fandom often to an excessive degree : to behave like an extremely devoted or overly excited fangirl

Progmaniac1988

Quote from: crystalstars17 on March 24, 2024, 09:40:09 AM
Quote from: Wim Kruithof on March 23, 2024, 05:30:47 AM

It's getting wearisome, isn't it? 🙄 All we can hope for is that it's worth all this dragged-out silence and secrecy.

Of course I've never been around for a new album release during a Portnoy era, so this may be more normal for many of you than it is for me.

Wellll as someone that was around since the six degrees release I'd say this isn't too normal lol. Portnoy is usually very open with information during studio sessions. I think they may have something special in store for us this time around because it's a reunion of sorts. Maybe a long documentary like the systematic chaos one? I think they just want to keep some things as a surprise for us. Going forward after this album I suspect more will be revealed faster.

nobloodyname

MP did say recently that he's being deliberately quiet or secretive regarding what's going on in the studio. Can't remember his exact words.
"I'm not just liking Dream Theater to get in your pants."

jammindude

As "silent" as it's been about the details, even the screenshots and selfies we've been getting seem more frequent to me than they have been since MP left.

And it was always like this when MP was in the band. Lots of little snippets without giving anything away because he likes playing "Willy Wonka"...and I'm totally cool with that.

gborland

Most bands record albums in private, no?

TheBarstoolWarrior

I think it was something along the lines of he understands they've been pretty quiet about everything. He also said separately they're not doing official interviews or whatever. I get it and I am cool with it. They're controlling the message and timing of something that is a pretty significant event in the band's history.

When we do get the unveiling I am expecting a lot more information about the songwriting process and more fan outreach than we have had the last 5 albums. I remember when they released ADTOE the band did a free meet & greet/signing and then when they released DoT they did a free screening and signing. I bet we get something like that this time as well.
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I do not personally know any present or former members of DT. From time to time where the context is or should be obvious, I may decline to explicitly label my words as opinion. I cannot predict the future.

gzarruk

I just want to know what happened with the LNFA releases.

MirrorMask

Quote from: jammindude on March 24, 2024, 04:21:22 PM
As "silent" as it's been about the details, even the screenshots and selfies we've been getting seem more frequent to me than they have been since MP left.

And it was always like this when MP was in the band. Lots of little snippets without giving anything away because he likes playing "Willy Wonka"...and I'm totally cool with that.

Yeah, I can't really complain. We ARE getting updates from the studio. He even hints about writing epics. And when, anyway, did they gave away details, aside from the instrumental on Train of Thought because they created a contest about it? I don't remember them (or MP, since as you said it was always him to do PR for the band) saying "we wrote an epic" or "we wrote a song about vampires" in previous tour cycles.

Consider me satisfied with the level of information and updates we're getting.

crystalstars17

Quote from: gborland on March 24, 2024, 04:44:48 PM
Most bands record albums in private, no?

Of course, but most bands today also release individual songs long before the album is released officially. I don't think we're anywhere near that point yet, and I'm not saying we need full on spoilers, but at the very least things along the lines of an expected release date (even if that's next year), or possibly a name? Just normal news, not vagueness. Maybe it's still too early.
fangirl (noun) : a girl or woman who is an extremely or overly enthusiastic fan of someone or something

fangirl (verb) : to exhibit fandom often to an excessive degree : to behave like an extremely devoted or overly excited fangirl