Author Topic: DT16 Timeline Thread - MP finished recording drum parts, recording continues  (Read 98721 times)

countoftuscany42, vazquez, lucasembarbosa and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - James recording vocal parts
« Reply #1505 on: March 22, 2024, 06:05:52 AM »
Maybe an epic that divides into 4 or 5 songs like SDOIT and an epic individual. Or MP just meant that another epic to add their epic catalogue.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1506 on: March 22, 2024, 06:39:35 AM »
I've read the Instagram post and from the context it seems that he's talking about another epic for the new album aside from one that they evidently have already written.

Come on, it's not out of the realm of possiblities that they write more than one long song.

But again, I'm not a native speaker so some nuances might be lost on me, but reading that message it implies, to me, "another epic beside another one already written".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1507 on: March 22, 2024, 07:07:46 AM »
Love that shirt.  Might investigate the inter webs on that one.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1508 on: March 22, 2024, 07:13:53 AM »
Love that shirt.  Might investigate the inter webs on that one.
No need, I got you
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1509 on: March 22, 2024, 09:09:18 AM »
I don't care what he meant by it.  I don't have to speculate, I will know once the album comes out.

#CrankyOldMan
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1510 on: March 22, 2024, 09:42:46 AM »
JM isn’t even on social media.

Maybe HoJo is JM....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Progmaniac1988

« Reply #1511 on: March 22, 2024, 10:29:23 AM »
Hey, I’m sure we have many album updates that JM is just dying to share with the world. Just as much as he wanted to share info of his new bass tone on the AVFTTOTW documentary 😂

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - Writing continues
« Reply #1512 on: March 22, 2024, 11:06:02 AM »
Updated to include most recent information and corrections of some other bits

(note that Jordan will be on tour with The Dixie Dregs very soon, so he will again be absent at some point. We will see how the recording process will unfold. The Dregs are well worth checking out btw, in case anyone here hasn't heard of them yet)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1513 on: March 22, 2024, 11:58:08 AM »
Updated to include most recent information and corrections of some other bits

(note that Jordan will be on tour with The Dixie Dregs very soon, so he will again be absent at some point. We will see how the recording process will unfold. The Dregs are well worth checking out btw, in case anyone here hasn't heard of them yet)

Second, third and fourth on the Dregs.  I saw them from the front row at a small theater in CT a couple years ago and it was one of the most entertaining shows I've been to in a long time.  You've got to pay attention, because those fuckers can play, but there's a great spirit of camaraderie too, so it's not two hours of sheer wankery.  They well and truly like each other and have fun playing.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1514 on: March 22, 2024, 12:21:01 PM »
The Dregs tour will start in a little less than a month. I'd say there's plenty of time for them to finish writing, or even recording depending on how fast everything's going, by then. Unless they're making another double album...
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1515 on: March 22, 2024, 12:21:42 PM »
The Dregs tour will start in a little less than a month. I'd say there's plenty of time for them to finish writing, or even recording depending on how fast everything's going, by then. Unless they're making another double album...

How long is the Dregs tour?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1516 on: March 22, 2024, 12:23:30 PM »

April 17th - May 22nd
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1517 on: March 22, 2024, 12:25:23 PM »

April 17th - May 22nd

Thank you.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1518 on: March 22, 2024, 01:10:07 PM »
A double album would not be outside the realm of possibility. Having not recorded together in over 14 years, they might have a lot of fresh ideas.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1519 on: March 22, 2024, 01:10:39 PM »

April 17th - May 22nd

Is that right?  The website says it's only eight dates between April 18-27.  https://dixiedregs.com/
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1520 on: March 22, 2024, 01:18:28 PM »
April 17th - May 22nd
Is that right?  The website says it's only eight dates between April 18-27.  https://dixiedregs.com/
It's been extended:
https://blabbermouth.net/news/dixie-dregs-add-eight-shows-to-spring-2024-u-s-tour
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1521 on: March 22, 2024, 02:03:49 PM »
A double album would not be outside the realm of possibility. Having not recorded together in over 14 years, they might have a lot of fresh ideas.

They already did LTE 3, which kind of counts, but I guess it's not the same.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1522 on: March 22, 2024, 02:13:29 PM »

And JP's 2nd solo album before that. DT16 will be Mike and John's third album together of the past 4-5 years, and I'm glad they did those two before he rejoined because now I think their chemistry in the studio will be locked in and I imagine the new DT will be the best they could put together.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1523 on: March 22, 2024, 03:51:24 PM »

And JP's 2nd solo album before that. DT16 will be Mike and John's third album together of the past 4-5 years, and I'm glad they did those two before he rejoined because now I think their chemistry in the studio will be locked in and I imagine the new DT will be the best they could put together.

-Marc.

You're right! I completely forgot about TV. And LTE 3 also had Jordan, who's the main DT writer alongside JP, so they should already be quite comfortable writing together, as you just mentioned.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1524 on: March 22, 2024, 05:37:09 PM »

Maybe HoJo is JM....

haha definitely not, i promise.

and for any mods who might be reading all my posts: I never in any way said I was or implied I knew, had any relation, or connection to, John Myung of the band Dream Theater
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1525 on: March 22, 2024, 06:09:38 PM »

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1527 on: March 23, 2024, 01:33:51 AM »

Maybe HoJo is JM....

and for any mods who might be reading all my posts: I never in any way said I was or implied I knew, had any relation, or connection to, John Myung of the band Dream Theater

I laughed :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #1528 on: March 23, 2024, 06:30:47 AM »
It's like stalking, almost contantly checking this thread to see if there's anything new about #16.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1529 on: March 23, 2024, 06:59:13 AM »

Maybe HoJo is JM....

I laughed :biggrin:

glad i can make some people happy lmao
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1530 on: March 23, 2024, 07:14:21 AM »
Thanks John Myung!

Online crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #1531 on: March 24, 2024, 10:40:09 AM »
It's like stalking, almost contantly checking this thread to see if there's anything new about #16.

It's getting wearisome, isn't it? 🙄 All we can hope for is that it's worth all this dragged-out silence and secrecy.

Of course I've never been around for a new album release during a Portnoy era, so this may be more normal for many of you than it is for me.

Offline Progmaniac1988

« Reply #1532 on: March 24, 2024, 12:41:12 PM »

It's getting wearisome, isn't it? 🙄 All we can hope for is that it's worth all this dragged-out silence and secrecy.

Of course I've never been around for a new album release during a Portnoy era, so this may be more normal for many of you than it is for me.

Wellll as someone that was around since the six degrees release I’d say this isn’t too normal lol. Portnoy is usually very open with information during studio sessions. I think they may have something special in store for us this time around because it’s a reunion of sorts. Maybe a long documentary like the systematic chaos one? I think they just want to keep some things as a surprise for us. Going forward after this album I suspect more will be revealed faster.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1533 on: March 24, 2024, 03:28:39 PM »
MP did say recently that he's being deliberately quiet or secretive regarding what's going on in the studio. Can't remember his exact words.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1534 on: March 24, 2024, 05:21:22 PM »
As “silent” as it’s been about the details, even the screenshots and selfies we’ve been getting seem more frequent to me than they have been since MP left.

And it was always like this when MP was in the band. Lots of little snippets without giving anything away because he likes playing “Willy Wonka”…and I’m totally cool with that.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline gborland

« Reply #1535 on: March 24, 2024, 05:44:48 PM »
Most bands record albums in private, no?
Graham Borland

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #1536 on: March 24, 2024, 05:45:16 PM »
I think it was something along the lines of he understands they've been pretty quiet about everything. He also said separately they're not doing official interviews or whatever. I get it and I am cool with it. They're controlling the message and timing of something that is a pretty significant event in the band's history.

When we do get the unveiling I am expecting a lot more information about the songwriting process and more fan outreach than we have had the last 5 albums. I remember when they released ADTOE the band did a free meet & greet/signing and then when they released DoT they did a free screening and signing. I bet we get something like that this time as well.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1537 on: March 24, 2024, 06:09:27 PM »
I just want to know what happened with the LNFA releases.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1538 on: March 25, 2024, 02:32:48 AM »
As “silent” as it’s been about the details, even the screenshots and selfies we’ve been getting seem more frequent to me than they have been since MP left.

And it was always like this when MP was in the band. Lots of little snippets without giving anything away because he likes playing “Willy Wonka”…and I’m totally cool with that.

Yeah, I can't really complain. We ARE getting updates from the studio. He even hints about writing epics. And when, anyway, did they gave away details, aside from the instrumental on Train of Thought because they created a contest about it? I don't remember them (or MP, since as you said it was always him to do PR for the band) saying "we wrote an epic" or "we wrote a song about vampires" in previous tour cycles.

Consider me satisfied with the level of information and updates we're getting.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #1539 on: March 25, 2024, 04:11:43 AM »
Most bands record albums in private, no?

Of course, but most bands today also release individual songs long before the album is released officially. I don't think we're anywhere near that point yet, and I'm not saying we need full on spoilers, but at the very least things along the lines of an expected release date (even if that's next year), or possibly a name? Just normal news, not vagueness. Maybe it's still too early.