Author Topic: Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - John finished recording guitar parts  (Read 123353 times)

sfam2112 and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline gzarruk

Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - DT16 sessions initiated
« Reply #735 on: February 10, 2024, 10:03:14 AM »
Better than a Syme cover :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #736 on: February 10, 2024, 10:13:17 AM »

CAN WE PLEASE STOP USING CHEAP PHOTOSHOPPING OF STANDARD STOCK IMAGES?!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #737 on: February 10, 2024, 10:21:49 AM »
Looks like James and JP are back in their brown dye era, good for them! Everyone looking great and comfy :heart

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #738 on: February 10, 2024, 06:26:08 PM »
Better than a Syme cover :tup

Almost anything is better than a Syme cover.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #739 on: February 10, 2024, 11:29:13 PM »

Bosk, is this you being frustrated or do I miss what's obvious for anyone else?
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #740 on: February 10, 2024, 11:49:30 PM »

I believe it's a reference to complaints about Hugh Syme's artwork (taking stock images and then photoshopping them).

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #741 on: February 11, 2024, 12:14:43 AM »

I believe it's a reference to complaints about Hugh Syme's artwork (taking stock images and then photoshopping them).

Given JR'S affinity and support for AI-generated art and fx apps, I wouldn't put it past them to use that kind of software for the album art, or at the very least, a music video.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #742 on: February 11, 2024, 07:02:50 AM »
I would take AI art over Syme's work, at least with AI art you have to use your imagination when writing the prompt.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #743 on: February 11, 2024, 08:59:50 AM »
I would take AI art over Syme's work, at least with AI art you have to use your imagination when writing the prompt.
Same
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #744 on: February 11, 2024, 09:53:32 AM »
I've kind of transcended into a "so bad it's good" appreciation of Hugh's work. For better or worse, there hasn't been a cover he's made for DT that didn't make an impression on me (even if that impression is "something's clearly off here..."). That being said, he's not irreplaceable, but I'm not sure DT would be the band to rock the boat and go full AI on an album cover, given the backlash that could ensue -- then again, that'd be free publicity.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #745 on: February 11, 2024, 01:55:50 PM »
No need to get an AI cover, just hire someone else to do it. Shake things up a little bit.

Whatever opinions people might have about the music on The Astonishing, the art cover was amazing and a nice change of pace.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #746 on: February 11, 2024, 01:59:14 PM »
No need to get an AI cover, just hire someone else to do it. Shake things up a little bit.

Whatever opinions people might have about the music on The Astonishing, the art cover was amazing and a nice change of pace.

Same with Six Degrees, I love that cover art.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #747 on: February 11, 2024, 02:02:11 PM »

Great album cover!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #748 on: February 11, 2024, 02:20:04 PM »
They should hire Travis Smith to do this one 👌

Online HOF

« Reply #749 on: February 11, 2024, 02:24:33 PM »
I always thought the SDOIT cover was one of their worst. "Let's make a cover that looks like a cross between Downward Spiral and OK Computer for some reason!" It's fine in that it is neutral enough to not really stick out as dated or anything. But it seemed really forced to me at the time.

They ought to try Dave McKeon again since SFAM worked out so well (though some of his stuff is pretty weird). Or find a new artist with some new ideas because I bet there are tons of good ones out there who they could employ.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #750 on: February 11, 2024, 06:14:17 PM »
hugh syme is my great uncle, be nice.
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #751 on: February 11, 2024, 11:32:00 PM »

Honestly, I can't follow a thing about the hate towards Syme. I like each album art very much, with the only awfull exceptions of Falling Into Infinity and Once In a Livetime. All others are in the spectrum of nice to very beautiful. Really, what an unfear treatment to a mans work I would say.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #752 on: February 12, 2024, 01:10:37 AM »

Honestly, I can't follow a thing about the hate towards Syme. I like each album art very much, with the only awfull exceptions of Falling Into Infinity and Once In a Livetime. All others are in the spectrum of nice to very beautiful. Really, what an unfear treatment to a mans work I would say.

Both were not done by Syme but by Storm Thorgerson (hence why also there is a different font)

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #753 on: February 12, 2024, 04:17:16 AM »

A lot of criticism was targeted against the apparent sloppiness of Syme's work. Notable examples include the far right ball not lining up with the rest on Octavarium (the ball is too high, so it wouldn't be on the same level with the other balls if it were released), the black artifacts on DT12 when the artwork was initially released (later fixed), and the ADTOE clown being "nabbed" from a Circus Maximus cover (they used the same stock photo).

I'm sure there are other examples as well which could have been easily avoided / corrected with a bit of extra care and effort.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #754 on: February 12, 2024, 05:56:57 AM »
A lot of criticism was targeted against the apparent sloppiness of Syme's work. Notable examples include the far right ball not lining up with the rest on Octavarium (the ball is too high, so it wouldn't be on the same level with the other balls if it were released), the black artifacts on DT12 when the artwork was initially released (later fixed), and the ADTOE clown being "nabbed" from a Circus Maximus cover (they used the same stock photo).

Ok, you've surely got a point there. Didn't know about this.

To me, as mentioned, except the Storm Thorgerson-drama (not using the same font is cruel), I like each artwork on the albums. Evenmore I like the photo's of latest albums in the artbooks and boxsets, like The Barstool Warrior or Sleeping Giant. Are these from Syme as well?

Black Clouds' probably my favorite album cover of all. Might be build up with borrowed / stolen pics, but I love the themes and hope they stick to this habit.

Online gborland

« Reply #755 on: February 12, 2024, 06:08:36 AM »
No album cover will ever be better than the WDADU hairy armpit. Hugh Syme can only dream of coming up with something that awesome.
Graham Borland

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #756 on: February 12, 2024, 06:19:08 AM »
I think that counts as a smile from JM

:metal :metal

No.  :lol

Are you kidding?  That's actually "ROTFLMFAO" for John Myung.  Someone ought to tell him to cool his jets in that photo.  ;) :) :) :) :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #757 on: February 12, 2024, 06:29:43 AM »

Great album cover!

Have we done an "album art" ranging, yet? 

1   Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
2   Scenes from a Memory
3   Train of Thought
4   Images and Words
5   Octavarium
6   Awake
7   Black Clouds and Silver Linings
8   A Dramatic Turn of Events
9   A View from the Top of the World
10   Distance over Time
11   The Astonishing
12   Systematic Chaos
13   Falling Into Infinity
14   Dream Theater
15   When Dream and Day Unite

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #758 on: February 12, 2024, 06:31:48 AM »

I don't follow it either.   He's done some amazing work (the Grace Under Pressure cover, unlike the album itself, is one of my favorites of all time. I also love the Power Windows cover.)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #759 on: February 12, 2024, 07:16:32 AM »

I don't follow it either.   He's done some amazing work (the Grace Under Pressure cover, unlike the album itself, is one of my favorites of all time. I also love the Power Windows cover.)
Well, no one is complaining about THOSE covers.  He did good work for THEM. 

But his work for DT is, at the very least, mailed in.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #760 on: February 12, 2024, 07:22:02 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #761 on: February 12, 2024, 08:03:02 AM »
Black Clouds' probably my favorite album cover of all. Might be build up with borrowed / stolen pics, but I love the themes and hope they stick to this habit.
Funny that you should pick that one out because there is a lot wrong with it, although I tried to fix those issues when I did the Black Clouds and Silver Anniversary artwork.

I think that counts as a smile from JM

:metal :metal
No.  :lol
Are you kidding?  That's actually "ROTFLMFAO" for John Myung.  Someone ought to tell him to cool his jets in that photo.  ;) :) :) :) :)
:rollin

Well, no one is complaining about THOSE covers.  He did good work for THEM. 

But his work for DT is, at the very least, mailed in.
I agree with hef. I think the big problem is that in more recent times he's gotten a bit sloppy because of Photoshop and the availability of stock photography. Plus if you look at his website, he's also done a lot of commercial work. So part of it could also be that at times he might bite off more than he can chew and is up against several tight deadlines at the same time, and so therefore doesn't put the care/effort into the artwork that he used to. Plus being well established and recognized by many bands/artists, he may not feel he has to exert himself to the same degree that he used to back in the day.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #762 on: February 12, 2024, 08:20:32 AM »
Funny that you should pick that one out because there is a lot wrong with it, although I tried to fix those issues when I did the Black Clouds and Silver Anniversary artwork.
Could you elaborate? Both the issues and how you remedied them. With pictures, if you can. :corn

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #763 on: February 12, 2024, 08:35:27 AM »

I was just playfully mocking the Hugh Syme critics.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Glasser

« Reply #764 on: February 12, 2024, 09:20:32 AM »
No album cover will ever be better than the WDADU hairy armpit. Hugh Syme can only dream of coming up with something that awesome.

100%  :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #765 on: February 12, 2024, 09:27:28 AM »
It happens!!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #766 on: February 12, 2024, 09:52:13 AM »
I was thinking about that Evergrey thing just the other day and couldn't remember what the other band was.  ;D

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #767 on: February 12, 2024, 10:25:41 AM »
More famously, there's the fifth studio albums by Spock's Beard and Symphony X, both with V in the title and VERY similar artwork elements.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #768 on: February 12, 2024, 10:35:16 AM »
wrong thread
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 10:41:08 AM by TheHoveringSojourn808 »
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #769 on: February 12, 2024, 10:36:58 AM »
My son showed me some album covers designed by AI, and honestly, they're pretty impressive. As someone who's seen a lot of album art over the years, these robot-made ones are surprisingly good at times.