Author Topic: Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - John finished recording guitar parts  (Read 125004 times)

Rob24 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Random Access Sloth
Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - DT16 sessions initiated
« Reply #980 on: February 20, 2024, 07:59:44 AM »
i know it might sound crazy for JLB to vocalize some string and brass parts, but he's done crazier. after all, i did set up a gofundme to pay for this cameo once a few years ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoHCTSp1R8U

But you didn't. YouTuber kmac2021 paid for that Cameo.

And before you say it, no, you're not kmac2021.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #981 on: February 20, 2024, 08:03:49 AM »
i know it might sound crazy for JLB to vocalize some string and brass parts, but he's done crazier. after all, i did set up a gofundme to pay for this cameo once a few years ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoHCTSp1R8U

i'm not kmac2021, but i am a character inspired by his brother's life
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #982 on: February 20, 2024, 08:06:17 AM »
A bearded gentleman?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #983 on: February 20, 2024, 08:11:29 AM »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #984 on: February 20, 2024, 08:27:17 AM »
I think DT's most successful reinterpretations of other bands' material is in the live context, when they weave snippets of other songs into their own material. One example that particularly stands out for me is when they incorporated Sugar Mice and Mother into Hollow Years (I think?) on the PN09 tour.

Just for accuracy, that would have been Surrounded '07. :)

There's a great version of that on Chaos In Motion! I listened to that recently for the first time in a long time and absolutely loved it.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #985 on: February 20, 2024, 08:29:44 AM »

If they are going to take time and energy to record music at all, I would much rather it be new original DT music than covers.  I just don't see the point of them recording covers.  Please no covers.

This is a false dichotomy.  They could take the time and energy to record new DT music, then still probably bust out some cool covers.
It is NOT a false dichotomy.  The time and energy they put into covers is time and energy they could put into more original music, which is what I specifically said I would prefer.  And I still don't even see the appeal of them doing covers.

i'd love to hear DT to an in-the-studio-cover of my all-time favorite song, Rhapsody In Blue
What

Just listen to the LTE version?

I meant by Dream Theater proper. I would want James to vocalize some of the instruments, as well.
WTF kind of shit are you talking about now

i'm not kmac2021, but i am a character inspired by his brother's life
WTF kind of shit are you talking about now
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #986 on: February 20, 2024, 09:24:11 AM »
My favorite song ever is Idioglossia by Pain of Salvation.

i looked up that song on youtube, and my first thought was i've heard this before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn5-sCMzNRQ

it takes a bit longer to go to that same progression, but there's your 2/5ths of DT playing something like your favorite song  :rollin

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #987 on: February 20, 2024, 10:03:37 AM »
I guess I can hear how the opening riff is similar to the opening song in the OSI thing (had to take a quick listen) but that's about it. Is there more in OSI that sounds like Idioglossia after the main riff?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #988 on: February 20, 2024, 10:08:33 AM »
It is NOT a false dichotomy.  The time and energy they put into covers is time and energy they could put into more original music, which is what I specifically said I would prefer.  And I still don't even see the appeal of them doing covers.

That's only true if you think time and energy are finite things that aren't replenished.  By this logic, they should all end up in the hospital in a coma after recording, since they've used up all their energy.  Or, they would spend the rest of their lives writing songs for DT16, since each new day brings more time and more energy. 

In reality, they can put the same amount of time and energy into making the album as they wish, then, probably while mixing/mastering the album, cut some cover tunes that really don't take a lot of time or energy.  Or at least not the same kind of energy. 

I like covers where the artist really makes the song their own (which DT doesn't do often), or when they record covers of songs that I am not particularly familiar with, or are not favorites (which DT does).  The Rainbow, Zebra, and Queen songs on the BCaSL bonus disc are fantastic songs that I was not at all familiar with.  I've since gone back and listened to, and enjoyed, the originals.  But, either because I heard them first, or because of the more modern production, I prefer the DT versions. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #989 on: February 20, 2024, 11:05:30 AM »
Well, I think the issue here isn't whether or not they should use some of their energy working on and recording covers, but rather their MO while in the studio. We have no clues on how are they going to use their studio time for this album, but usually what they do is gather together in the studio, write an album worth of music, record it and that's it, they leave. The album then goes to the "production" phase where it gets mixed, mastered, etc, so the rest of the guys just shift gears and get in touring mode or promotional mode, whatever.

In other words, they get in the studio, do their thing, and then leave. They usually don't get back in "studio mode" until the next album cycle, and that's been their MO for most of their career. It'd be silly to expect otherwise, I think. So, in that context, spending some of their limited time arranging covers and whatnot could be considered a total waste of time. On top of that, we don't know if their deadline is just before Mike and Jordan go away to do CTTE or if they'll get back together after to keep writing/recording. If it's the former, then it leaves them even less time to do that.

Now, in my personal opinion, I just don't understand people actively wanting the band to cover other people's songs. Just listen to the originals, guys. The world definitely needs more versions of the same classic songs from the same classic bands. But, again, that's just my personal view.

I agree with Scotty's take on original material, though. Why settle for the first 70-ish minutes of music you came up with when you can keep writing and trying to get even better stuff and then choose the best songs from the bunch? BUT, that's just not how they work anymore, and they haven't since the 90's.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #990 on: February 20, 2024, 11:09:51 AM »

That's only true if you think time and energy are finite things that aren't replenished.  By this logic, they should all end up in the hospital in a coma after recording, since they've used up all their energy.  Or, they would spend the rest of their lives writing songs for DT16, since each new day brings more time and more energy. 

In reality, they can put the same amount of time and energy into making the album as they wish, then, probably while mixing/mastering the album, cut some cover tunes that really don't take a lot of time or energy.  Or at least not the same kind of energy. 

I like covers where the artist really makes the song their own (which DT doesn't do often), or when they record covers of songs that I am not particularly familiar with, or are not favorites (which DT does).  The Rainbow, Zebra, and Queen songs on the BCaSL bonus disc are fantastic songs that I was not at all familiar with.  I've since gone back and listened to, and enjoyed, the originals.  But, either because I heard them first, or because of the more modern production, I prefer the DT versions.

Agreed on the bolded. I think these stood out to me more than the other three for two reasons:

1. James LaBrie sounds fuggin fantastic on them.
2. The production is fuggin fantastic on them.

The instrumental covers and To Tame A Land are all missing one or both of those reasons, which make them less interesting/good to my ears.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

« Reply #991 on: February 20, 2024, 11:14:19 AM »
What

c'mon daddio, can't tell me you never imagine James LaBrie doing his best impression of the brass intro over DT progging the fuck out of The Rhapsody
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #992 on: February 20, 2024, 11:27:37 AM »

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #993 on: February 20, 2024, 11:38:33 AM »
for me, the appeal of dream theater doing covers stems from the desire to hear their interpretation of classic tracks. the hope being that their technical prowess and unique musical style would bring a fresh perspective, even if it doesn't always deviate significantly from the original arrangement.

Thissssss! 💯 Their cover of Since I've Been Loving You literally brought me to tears.
"Whether by your will or not, there is no ship now that can bear me hence." ~ Arwen, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #994 on: February 20, 2024, 11:46:16 AM »

At least this tells us he might be using the 8 string again.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #995 on: February 20, 2024, 11:48:08 AM »
Confirmation that there will be guitars on the album.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #996 on: February 20, 2024, 11:49:51 AM »
Guarantee that least 1 song will include a guitar solo.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #997 on: February 20, 2024, 12:27:12 PM »

Or they're packing them up because they won't be needing it for the sessions any longer?

Confirmation that JP is now the second keyboardist? Or the drummer who'll be using the other site of the monster kit?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #998 on: February 20, 2024, 12:41:07 PM »

It's almost like you aren't actually reading what I'm typing.

In your scenario, my preference, hope, wish, and desire is that they make the album, and then, while mixing/mastering the album, they cut more original songs.

Not sure what you aren't getting, or what you are arguing for or against.

They can do whatever they want, obviously.  But I for one have no use whatsoever for any more covers recorded in the studio.  We're so excited that Portnoy is back in the band that we hope they re-record stuff that other people already recorded (even them, re: re-recording WDADU or any other old shit)?  I don't get it, man.  You do you.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #999 on: February 20, 2024, 01:16:45 PM »

Let's not jump to conclusions, for all we know those guitars could be inspiration corner for JLB who will vocalize all the guitar lines for the new record.

« Reply #1000 on: February 20, 2024, 01:19:49 PM »

Let's not jump to conclusions, for all we know those guitars could be inspiration corner for JLB who will vocalize all the guitar lines for the new record.

exactly, see my post about The Rhapsody in Brie
Welcome to the Forums!

« Reply #1001 on: February 20, 2024, 02:31:13 PM »

I meant by Dream Theater proper. I would want James to vocalize some of the instruments, as well.

In case anyone wanted to know what this post meant:

https://soundcloud.com/hjklas/rhapsody-in-chungus
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline YngVai

« Reply #1002 on: February 20, 2024, 02:56:16 PM »
If we ignore it do you think it will go away on it's own?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1003 on: February 20, 2024, 03:00:23 PM »

Wow you’re not very good at picking up sarcasm are you?

« Reply #1004 on: February 20, 2024, 03:23:48 PM »

Wow you’re not very good at picking up sarcasm are you?

no maybe you could explain it to me
Welcome to the Forums!

« Reply #1005 on: February 20, 2024, 03:24:57 PM »

welcome to the forums, we appreciate kindness and love here, not dehumanizing jokes
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #1006 on: February 20, 2024, 03:47:44 PM »

welcome to the forums, we appreciate kindness and love here, not dehumanizing jokes

It's not worth it, my friend.. 😓
"Whether by your will or not, there is no ship now that can bear me hence." ~ Arwen, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #1007 on: February 20, 2024, 06:38:26 PM »
Chances of a double album?
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I don't personally know any present or former members of Dream Theater. From time to time where the context is obvious, I may state an opinion without clearly labeling every single part of it as such. I cannot predict the future.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1008 on: February 20, 2024, 09:06:20 PM »
That would be awesome!  Luike in the vain of 6 degrees?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline NoFred

« Reply #1009 on: February 20, 2024, 09:22:27 PM »

I’d be down for a Maiden or Metallica style “double” at around 80-90 minutes. Longer is fine but I’m hoping for a good full album listen

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1010 on: February 21, 2024, 12:07:18 AM »

Can't believe you got crap for this. I genuinely laughed out loud :lol Was a well-crafted turnaround.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #1011 on: February 21, 2024, 12:12:38 AM »

In case anyone wanted to know what this post meant:

https://soundcloud.com/hjklas/rhapsody-in-chungus
What the  :rollin

Online nikatapi

« Reply #1012 on: February 21, 2024, 12:53:16 AM »

That would be incredible.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #1013 on: February 21, 2024, 01:48:06 AM »

I wouldn't want this, but hoping for a short and concise album, I'm in the minority here.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1014 on: February 21, 2024, 01:55:47 AM »
Quality over quantity.