Author Topic: Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - John finished recording guitar parts  (Read 125454 times)

sfam2112, SupermanJLU and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - DT16 sessions initiated
« Reply #945 on: February 19, 2024, 10:24:42 AM »
i think no matter what they do my spine is gonna tongle
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #946 on: February 19, 2024, 10:36:27 AM »
I don't want covers or revisited old stuff.

I just want 75 minutes of awesome spine-tingling new DT.
I’m with you on that man. And I think it’s likely we’ll get our wish!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #947 on: February 19, 2024, 10:36:50 AM »

+ 1,000
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline HOF

« Reply #948 on: February 19, 2024, 11:50:33 AM »
If they are taking requests, they could finally do proper studio versions of Speak to Me and The Way It Used to Be.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #949 on: February 19, 2024, 11:55:54 AM »

I agree with this except for the 75-minute bit.
I want them to do a 45-50 minute banger.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #950 on: February 19, 2024, 12:06:20 PM »

Well, they could do a 75 minute album, and then you could remove whatever 25-30 minutes you like the least! Then you'd still get your 45-50 minute banger.  :lol
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #951 on: February 19, 2024, 12:07:26 PM »

Well, it *is* an Inside Out Music record, so maybe they'll do 70 minutes of new music, then release a 50-minute album and 20 minutes of bonus disc "on the cutting room floor" material.  :lol

OR...maybe they'll release the instrumental version of the record as the second disc!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #952 on: February 19, 2024, 01:36:32 PM »

If they are going to take time and energy to record music at all, I would much rather it be new original DT music than covers.  I just don't see the point of them recording covers.  Please no covers.

This is a false dichotomy.  They could take the time and energy to record new DT music, then still probably bust out some cool covers. 

Offline Kocak

« Reply #953 on: February 19, 2024, 02:18:04 PM »

Well, it *is* an Inside Out Music record, so maybe they'll do 70 minutes of new music, then release a 50-minute album and 20 minutes of bonus disc "on the cutting room floor" material.  :lol

OR...maybe they'll release the instrumental version of the record as the second disc!

-Marc.

I'm very old-fashioned when it comes to these release gimmicks. Just give me a good album and I'm okay with no bonus material.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #954 on: February 19, 2024, 02:18:46 PM »

Well, they could do a 75 minute album, and then you could remove whatever 25-30 minutes you like the least! Then you'd still get your 45-50 minute banger.  :lol

As a matter of fact, I have done this in the past.

« Reply #955 on: February 19, 2024, 02:50:23 PM »

same :metal
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #956 on: February 19, 2024, 03:00:33 PM »

This is me as well :lol (not with DT, though).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #957 on: February 19, 2024, 04:02:36 PM »
If they are going to take time and energy to record music at all, I would much rather it be new original DT music than covers.  I just don't see the point of them recording covers.  Please no covers.
This is a false dichotomy.  They could take the time and energy to record new DT music, then still probably bust out some cool covers.
Exactly. And especially with them having their own studio to work in, they won't have a clock looming over their heads to the same extent that they did previously. So if they should be able to take all the time in the world to work on the new album, and then once they're done, learn some covers or revisit old obscure songs to bang out relatively fast since they likely are already familiar with them.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #958 on: February 19, 2024, 06:38:54 PM »
I really like DT albums that are as long as an album can be! These guys have enough creativity to write 75ish min of amazing music, it just takes the musical direction to make it all sound coherent, and I think MP and JP producing together makes me hopeful for that.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #959 on: February 19, 2024, 07:06:48 PM »

+ 1,000

This. Did Rush ever consider for a second to re-record their debut album with Neil 30+ years later? Let's not George Lucas your discography. You made n album, it wasn't very good, was never highly ranked by fans, but it was an album recorded at a moment in time by some aspiring young musicians finding their way. Let's leave it at that.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #960 on: February 19, 2024, 07:15:42 PM »

+ 1,000
This. Did Rush ever consider for a second to re-record their debut album with Neil 30+ years later? Let's not George Lucas your discography. You made n album, it wasn't very good, was never highly ranked by fans, but it was an album recorded at a moment in time by some aspiring young musicians finding their way. Let's leave it at that.
Rush didn't. But then again, Rush never even reissued their first single and B-side either. Nor did they ever release any of their demos. So in that regard, they're not the same, and it's one of the few areas where I'm glad DT is different. Not only that, but by re-recording old songs, whether WDaDU, the Majesty demos or other old songs never properly recorded/released, they're not gonna pull a George Lucas. WDaDU will continue to be available, whether they like it or not because they have ZERO control over it. And having just reissued the Majesty and WDaDU-era demos through LNFA relatively recently, I doubt those will get canned the way George put an end to the original film versions of the original trilogy. So apples to oranges there, too. And again, if they are done as a bonus in addition to a proper album, what's the harm? No one's putting a gun to your head and forcing you to listen to them.

I know I've stated this before, but the one thing I hope for is that they'll continue writing to their hearts' content, following their muse instead of automatically stopping the moment they have "enough" material for an album (whether that be 40 or 80 minutes or somewhere in between). Keep writing to see where things go, pick out the best and/or most coherent bunch of songs and file the rest away for bonus tracks, compilations, mid-tour EP releases, etc.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #961 on: February 19, 2024, 08:43:12 PM »
Second part first, I agree 100%.

First part... I was being a bit harsh for argumentative's sake. Sure, if they got the time and energy, they can record whatever they want. Most of that stuff doesn't move my needle, but that's a me issue. If you enjoy it, then it's a win. I just never get caught up in a band's history, regardless of who it is. I always want to hear what they are going to do next.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #962 on: February 20, 2024, 01:15:51 AM »
I know I've stated this before, but the one thing I hope for is that they'll continue writing to their hearts' content, following their muse instead of automatically stopping the moment they have "enough" material for an album (whether that be 40 or 80 minutes or somewhere in between). Keep writing to see where things go, pick out the best and/or most coherent bunch of songs and file the rest away for bonus tracks, compilations, mid-tour EP releases, etc.

This, so very much this.

You know the saying "you can fool all the people for some time, and you can fool some people all the time, but you can't fool all the people all the time?" well, going on a tangent off that, you can write amazing music in 2-3 weeks some times, but no band is that godly good that they can write the best album on the fly all the time. There's bound to be some sessions where going on with the writing until the muse is there can produce better music than the first 70 or 80 created.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gborland

« Reply #963 on: February 20, 2024, 03:33:33 AM »
And again, if they are done as a bonus in addition to a proper album, what's the harm? No one's putting a gun to your head and forcing you to listen to them.

The harm is that it's a distraction. I want them to put 100% of their focus and energy into writing and recording the best album they can possibly make after 13 years apart, to the extent that they are wrung out and exhausted when it's done. Maybe that means playing around with 2 hours' worth of material and distilling it down to the best 75 minutes for the final recording.

If they still have the time and energy to record a covers album or reworked old stuff, then it means they left all that energy on the table and didn't put it into the main album.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 04:03:19 AM by gborland »
Graham Borland

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #964 on: February 20, 2024, 07:00:50 AM »

Yep, I feel the same way. This is why I brought up the issue of B-sides and bonus tracks when I interviewed James in 2011. Unfortunately, his reaction was an enthusiastic "We haven't had any B-sides in ages because we're so great at writing exactly the kinds of songs we still need to round out the album" while I was trying to get at your take up there. But I didn't press the issue, cause God knows I had enough controversial things I was bringing up already.  ;D

Honestly, I just don't think DT have been as great at this as he claimed. I think most people would agree that there have been some weaker songs on their albums. And even if you put that down to different opinions, I think Systematic Chaos in particular is an example how they failed to basically write the missing puzzle piece for an album. They ended up splitting In the Presence of Enemies because they felt it was the best opener *AND* the best closer for the album out of what they had written. Which I think was correct, but the solution to this situation should've been to do exactly what James claims they do - to write another song that would make for a great alternative opener so you don't have to randomly split up the epic. But that didn't happen because they had 78 minutes written and that's when the album was "done" for them. And I agree with Scotty that it would be better if that wasn't the case. Aim for less from the start or keep writing and then filter some stuff out, there are many ways to do this differently.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 07:06:22 AM by Kyo »
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #965 on: February 20, 2024, 07:05:57 AM »

Thank you!
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Trav86

« Reply #966 on: February 20, 2024, 07:09:29 AM »
Let me ask this. Why do people want them to do covers? What is appealing about it? DT doesn’t cover other songs and do anything different with them, they do note for note replications. The only difference is modern sounding production and James’s vocals. That tends to make the songs seem sterile. If you like some songs they cover, then why not just listen to the original?
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #967 on: February 20, 2024, 07:16:28 AM »
Let me ask this. Why do people want them to do covers? What is appealing about it? DT doesn’t cover other songs and do anything different with them, they do note for note replications. The only difference is modern sounding production and James’s vocals. That tends to make the songs seem sterile. If you like some songs they cover, then why not just listen to the original?

I mean, Am I Evil is a note for note recreation but with a better production and James Hetfield on vocals, and I like that quite a bit.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #968 on: February 20, 2024, 07:18:34 AM »

I mean, Am I Evil is a note for note recreation but with a better production and James Hetfield on vocals, and I like that quite a bit.

Very true. It's a rarity though since they bring the Metallica energy that wasn't originally there.

DT covers, I agree with Trav, are a bit bland for me. I don't love note for note recreations and DT simply doesn't inject any special energy or personality into them the way Metallica does. They just kind of clinically play the song. If they want to do that, cool, but I won't be listening.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

« Reply #969 on: February 20, 2024, 07:20:57 AM »
Let me ask this. Why do people want them to do covers? What is appealing about it? DT doesn’t cover other songs and do anything different with them, they do note for note replications. The only difference is modern sounding production and James’s vocals. That tends to make the songs seem sterile.

i see where you're coming from, and your point about dream theater's approach to covers is valid. their note-for-note replications, albeit with modern production and labrie's vocals, can sometimes give off a more sterile vibe compared to the original versions. for me, the appeal of dream theater doing covers stems from the desire to hear their interpretation of classic tracks. the hope being that their technical prowess and unique musical style would bring a fresh perspective, even if it doesn't always deviate significantly from the original arrangement.

If you like some songs they cover, then why not just listen to the original?

it's a matter of personal taste, i suppose. some may appreciate the band's precision and the familiarity of their sound, while others might prefer the raw, unfiltered energy of the original.
Welcome to the Forums!

« Reply #970 on: February 20, 2024, 07:23:58 AM »

Very true. It's a rarity though since they bring the Metallica energy that wasn't originally there.

DT covers, I agree with Trav, are a bit bland for me. I don't love note for note recreations and DT simply doesn't inject any special energy or personality into them the way Metallica does. They just kind of clinically play the song. If they want to do that, cool, but I won't be listening.

what's your favorite song ever? if DT covered that you still wouldn't listen? i call shenanigan
Welcome to the Forums!

Online Adami

« Reply #971 on: February 20, 2024, 07:26:49 AM »
My favorite song ever is Idioglossia by Pain of Salvation.

I would be terrified of DT covering that. Not only would it miss the feel of the original but, under no circumstance, is James up for it.

I'm also a major Metallica fan and bought DT's cover of the MoP album way back in the day. Boring as all hell to me, haven't listened to it more than once or so.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline emtee

« Reply #972 on: February 20, 2024, 07:28:17 AM »
They really try to shy away with anything that's been done before so I seriously doubt there will be covers.

Offline gborland

« Reply #973 on: February 20, 2024, 07:29:38 AM »
I think DT's most successful reinterpretations of other bands' material is in the live context, when they weave snippets of other songs into their own material. One example that particularly stands out for me is when they incorporated Sugar Mice and Mother into Hollow Years (I think?) on the PN09 tour.

Their studio-recorded covers are just bland and pointless.
Graham Borland

Offline gborland

« Reply #974 on: February 20, 2024, 07:34:22 AM »
My all-time favourite song by another (non-DT) band is Infinite Dreams. If DT covered it I would listen to it maybe once or twice out of curiosity, but it would never be anywhere near as awesome as the original. Without Bruce's vocals and Martin Birch's production, the magic would be lost.
Graham Borland

« Reply #975 on: February 20, 2024, 07:47:20 AM »
i'd love to hear DT to an in-the-studio-cover of my all-time favorite song, Rhapsody In Blue
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Random Access Sloth
« Reply #976 on: February 20, 2024, 07:47:51 AM »
Just listen to the LTE version?

« Reply #977 on: February 20, 2024, 07:48:40 AM »
Just listen to the LTE version?

I meant by Dream Theater proper. I would want James to vocalize some of the instruments, as well.
Welcome to the Forums!

Online Adami

« Reply #978 on: February 20, 2024, 07:52:22 AM »
Well, while not at all probable, I hope you one day get your wish. I'll skip it along with other covers, but I hope everyone gets what they want.

Except Stadler.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

« Reply #979 on: February 20, 2024, 07:53:33 AM »
i know it might sound crazy for JLB to vocalize some string and brass parts, but he's done crazier. after all, i did set up a gofundme to pay for this cameo once a few years ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoHCTSp1R8U
Welcome to the Forums!