Author Topic: Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - John finished recording guitar parts  (Read 125079 times)

Pebsie and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - DT16 sessions initiated
« Reply #1050 on: February 22, 2024, 09:01:46 AM »
I'm sure the band will want to make it especially special on the music side, I'd give a 60% chance of a double album and 20% of Metropolis Pt. 3 happening.

By the way, I have this weird conspiracy / headcanon that The Astonishing was at some point supposed to be Metropolis Pt. 3, and it either evolved out of it or the band chickened out late in the process and removed the tenuous links to the loose Metropolis concepts.

i love that idea! when Arhys informs Daryus that Gabriel will be at Heaven's Cove (in "Moment of Betrayal") that could have totally been Nicolas. Even "arhys" kinda sounds like saying the name really fast
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1051 on: February 22, 2024, 09:03:45 AM »
Are Vans comfortable?  Never owned a pair, myself.   Chuck Taylor's, yep (not really comfortable; too flat for my feet). 

« Reply #1052 on: February 22, 2024, 09:09:59 AM »
Are Vans comfortable?  Never owned a pair, myself.   Chuck Taylor's, yep (not really comfortable; too flat for my feet). 

I think they are, I walk all over Denver in them lol
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1053 on: February 22, 2024, 09:26:29 AM »
Re: Vans

I still buy a new pair of “Spiccolli Specials” once every couple of years.

I was a bit stunned when the kid working the counter was unaware that it was their flagship shoe…and he had never even heard of Fast Times at Ridgemont High.  Dude! You wouldn’t even BE here right now if it weren’t for THIS shoe being in THAT movie!!  :rollin :rollin :rollin

To me (and everyone I grew up with), THESE are the originals.  Slip-ons came into vogue for me because they were the only sneaker that my Catholic high school would allow boys to wear.  Whatever boost the company got from Fast Times didn't sustain it, and it filed for bankruptcy in the mid-'80s.  They made a big comeback in the late '90s with the advent of X-Games type competitions and the resurgence of skateboarding.

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1054 on: February 22, 2024, 10:36:14 AM »
[quote/] I only have two cd's in my entire collection... and that's because the band didn't release them properly on vinyl (Live Scenes and Greatest Hit). Once had so many music, but last years you'll only find Pink Floyds prettiest and Dream Theater in here...
[/quote]
well, makes sense that it wasn't released on vinyl, simply because LSFNY is three CDs with around 60 minutes on each, which would mean 2 LPs per CD, so that would mean it to be a 6LP set. That would turn out to be ridiculously expensive.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1055 on: February 22, 2024, 10:51:06 AM »
Re: Vans

I still buy a new pair of “Spiccolli Specials” once every couple of years.

I was a bit stunned when the kid working the counter was unaware that it was their flagship shoe…and he had never even heard of Fast Times at Ridgemont High.  Dude! You wouldn’t even BE here right now if it weren’t for THIS shoe being in THAT movie!!  :rollin :rollin :rollin

To me (and everyone I grew up with), THESE are the originals.  Slip-ons came into vogue for me because they were the only sneaker that my Catholic high school would allow boys to wear.  Whatever boost the company got from Fast Times didn't sustain it, and it filed for bankruptcy in the mid-'80s.  They made a big comeback in the late '90s with the advent of X-Games type competitions and the resurgence of skateboarding.

Seriously WOAH.

I honestly had no idea, nor have I ever seen this style before. Shows what I know.  :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #1056 on: February 22, 2024, 11:31:22 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=946973333464005&set=a.256865122474833

Another Day At The Office…
#DT16 #DreamTheater2024

Looks like Mike blurred out their white board!

-Marc.

I was starting to get excited with the microphone on MP's kit. "Look, vocals!". But no, those are just for talking (notice Jordan has one too). So... no news on that end  :lol  (plus it's a dynamic mic in the middle of a band room, reeeeeeeally slim chance that anything that mic captured would end up in the final product). (Come to think of it, I see very few microphones, just two overheads for the drums, so this is definitely not a drum tracking scenario... Which is obvious since there are more people in the room. So writing session/scratch track recording seems way more likely!).

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1057 on: February 22, 2024, 11:31:47 AM »

have we met? I have been to Denver to see the D/T, A View and Dreamsonic concerts.

« Reply #1058 on: February 22, 2024, 12:01:27 PM »

have we met? I have been to Denver to see the D/T, A View and Dreamsonic concerts.

I was at all those shows too! Perhaps we have met lol
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1059 on: February 22, 2024, 01:29:14 PM »

I'm guessing you might not be as old as Stads and I are.   :)

Vans are fairly similar to Chucks.  They're comfortable, but they're not walking shoes.  They were designed for skateboarding, and they have VERY little sole cushion.  My office is all casual most of the time, so Vans are part of my office uniform.  However, if I have to walk any distance, I want a regular sneaker with some cushion.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Kram

« Reply #1060 on: February 22, 2024, 02:46:16 PM »

Vans are fairly similar to Chucks.  They're comfortable, but they're not walking shoes.  They were designed for skateboarding, and they have VERY little sole cushion.  My office is all casual most of the time, so Vans are part of my office uniform.  However, if I have to walk any distance, I want a regular sneaker with some cushion.
I'm an old man as well who owns several pairs of Vans and some Chucks.  I would agree with pg that they're similar in comfort.  I also have some Sketchers slip-ons, which have a lot more cushion and are much more comfortable.  But my younger girlfriend (she's in her 40's, but hey - that's pretty good for a man in his 50's!), says the Sketchers look more like old man shoe's lol. But if you value comfort over style, I'd recommend checking out some Sketchers

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1061 on: February 22, 2024, 03:38:09 PM »

I'm an old man as well who owns several pairs of Vans and some Chucks.  I would agree with pg that they're similar in comfort.  I also have some Sketchers slip-ons, which have a lot more cushion and are much more comfortable.  But my younger girlfriend (she's in her 40's, but hey - that's pretty good for a man in his 50's!), says the Sketchers look more like old man shoe's lol. But if you value comfort over style, I'd recommend checking out some Sketchers

My current sneakers are Sketchers, and I don't think they look much different than my last few pairs, which have been Champion or New Balance or something like that.  I was discussing it with my doctor last week, and she recommended Hokas, which are fairly pricy but apparently uber-cushioned (good for a doctor who's on her feet most of the day).

« Reply #1062 on: February 22, 2024, 03:51:13 PM »
i have a pair of hokas for very long walks (ok i admit it i don't always take long walks in Vans :D ) and they are indeed pretty comfortable. they're expensive but you can usually find clearance/sale prices
Welcome to the Forums!

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1063 on: February 22, 2024, 05:14:01 PM »

To me it's pretty intriguing that MP picked that specific photo to throw back to the 'Train of Thought' days, especially pointing out the same drum kit making a comeback after all these years. It's not just a trip down memory lane; it feels TO ME like a subtle nod to the vibe they're tapping into for their new project. Given how 'Train of Thought' stands out in their discography for its heavier, more intricate sound, this could be a hint that they're exploring a similar direction with their upcoming album.

Can't wait to see how this blend of past and present influences their new music!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1064 on: February 22, 2024, 05:39:44 PM »

To me it's pretty intriguing that MP picked that specific photo to throw back to the 'Train of Thought' days, especially pointing out the same drum kit making a comeback after all these years. It's not just a trip down memory lane; it feels TO ME like a subtle nod to the vibe they're tapping into for their new project. Given how 'Train of Thought' stands out in their discography for its heavier, more intricate sound, this could be a hint that they're exploring a similar direction with their upcoming album.

That's an interesting thought. It'd be so MP to drop some sort of series of clues/nuggetz along the way.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1065 on: February 22, 2024, 05:42:20 PM »
If it is a clue, I hope we get at least 2 songs played on the 8-string.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1066 on: February 22, 2024, 06:39:08 PM »
Well, that's the thing about Mike.  He LOVES dropping clues.  But he also LOVES just posting things just because.  You never know which is which until after the fact.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1067 on: February 22, 2024, 06:57:37 PM »
Well, that's the thing about Mike.  He LOVES dropping clues.  But he also LOVES just posting things just because.  You never know which is which until after the fact.  :lol

He could have chose that specific picture because it's basically been 20 years since ToT, and also, it has the 6DOIT drum head which he is using during these writing sessions.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1068 on: February 22, 2024, 07:01:14 PM »

He could have chose that specific picture because it's basically been 20 years since ToT, and also, it has the 6DOIT drum head which he is using during these writing sessions.
Nuggetz! Next album is 6DoIT part 2: King Portnoy and the Rudess Wizard
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

« Reply #1069 on: February 22, 2024, 07:06:37 PM »
MP's shoes (Vans) are the nuggets in this instance because it signifies the black shoes will point to the darker/heavier side of the sound, and the white trim symbolizes the purity, joy, and cathartic release we all get when we queue up the new DT album with MP on it for the first time :metal
Welcome to the Forums!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1070 on: February 22, 2024, 07:19:28 PM »
MP's shoes (Vans) are the nuggets in this instance because it signifies the black shoes will point to the darker/heavier side of the sound, and the white trim symbolizes the purity, joy, and cathartic release we all get when we queue up the new DT album with MP on it for the first time :metal

So, Black Clouds and White Linings?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1071 on: February 22, 2024, 07:26:00 PM »
Six Clouds and Scenes Unite

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1072 on: February 22, 2024, 07:33:50 PM »
A View of Astonishing Events Over Time.

Oh wait...nevermind. ;D

Offline NoFred

« Reply #1073 on: February 22, 2024, 07:39:04 PM »

Oh wait...nevermind. ;D

Next album is just the last five re-recorded, because members :lol :facepalm:

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1074 on: February 22, 2024, 08:28:20 PM »

Oh wait...nevermind. ;D

Next album is just the last five re-recorded, because members :lol :facepalm:

…you said ‘member’…
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline HOF

« Reply #1075 on: February 22, 2024, 09:13:59 PM »
11 tracks, 10 of which have a distinct vibe that corresponds to each of the first 10 DT albums, and the 11th of which is a side long epic with it’s own vibe.

Only sort of serious, but this is the kind of thing they would do maybe.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Random Access Sloth
« Reply #1076 on: February 22, 2024, 09:19:35 PM »
A double album where they re-record both Sons of Apollo albums

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1077 on: February 22, 2024, 09:20:10 PM »
11 tracks, 10 of which have a distinct vibe that corresponds to each of the first 10 DT albums, and the 11th of which is a side long epic with it’s own vibe.

That's a cool theme.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1078 on: February 22, 2024, 09:28:35 PM »

I'd buy that :rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #1079 on: February 23, 2024, 12:01:12 AM »

Kind of a fractal thing going on, I love it. Feels on brand for them, even though the WDADU "track" would be difficult to picture.

"For the FII track we had the label force us to hire an external producer to cut up one of our songs, it felt just like the old days"

Speaking of the picture and post MinistroRaven brought up, I definitely wouldn't mind a ToT vibe this time around.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1080 on: February 23, 2024, 01:31:11 AM »
Personally I hope for the same variety that Dramatic has, after two albums with heavy songs with the occasional exception here and there, I hope for the styles to be all over the place. But a good album with great songs is good even though it has just one mood.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #1081 on: February 23, 2024, 04:12:40 AM »

I hope this is a joke.  ::)

I definitely wouldn't mind a ToT vibe this time around.

No, thank you.

I hope for the styles to be all over the place.

This. I'd much rather hear a culmination of where they are in their history and everything they've learned and accomplished up until now. That's not to say that there shouldn't be a cohesive theme. It's to say that there is no good reason (other than nostalgia, which imo is not a good reason) that they should go backwards. The very heart and soul of progressive music is that it's forward-thinking.
"Whether by your will or not, there is no ship now that can bear me hence." ~ Arwen, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1082 on: February 23, 2024, 04:29:12 AM »
I suspect we'll get an Octavarium-style album.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online nikatapi

« Reply #1083 on: February 23, 2024, 04:30:49 AM »
Really curious to see who will be engineering/mixing/mastering the album.

I think A View From The Top Of The World was one of the best DT albums sonically, after a series of questionable ones.
Definitely looking forward to hearing a great drum and cymbal sound from MP again, even though i have to say i wasn't very fond of his sound post-Octavarium in DT.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1084 on: February 23, 2024, 05:04:14 AM »

I'd buy that :rollin

me too  :rollin