Author Topic: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - The Top 2 to wrap things up  (Read 21708 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - #16. Definitely not the hind 'Teet'
« Reply #385 on: February 19, 2023, 10:16:05 PM »
When I went to see Soen last winter, when I introduced the girl next to me to Jeff, her response was, “Wow, Mindmaze is awesome!”

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #386 on: February 20, 2023, 05:57:27 AM »
When I went to see Soen last winter, when I introduced the girl next to me to Jeff, her response was, “Wow, Mindmaze is awesome!”

Awesome!!!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #387 on: February 20, 2023, 11:10:25 AM »
Yep, definitely a top tier album! :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #388 on: February 20, 2023, 02:40:54 PM »
Great recent updates. Snow isn’t a favourite SB album for me - I 5hink it was just too long and my attention span just isn’t up to it. I’ll have to give it another go.

AGH is very good, and MindMaze are great. Nice people too.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #389 on: February 21, 2023, 11:43:05 AM »
15. M.I.GOD / Specters on Parade [2019]

This was my AOTY for 2019, and as I look at the list of albums still to come here in the Top 15, virtually every single one of them was my AOTY for the year it was released - there are only 2 instances that one of the remaining albums was my #2 AOTY... and only because there was another Concept Album that finished #1 ahead of it. 

This one is courtesy of Glenn Harveston's Top 50 album list (Glenn is the PPUSA promoter, and every December, he lists 50 of his favorite albums), and is one mammoth of a fucking METAL masterpiece.  I always get a gem or two (or a dozen) out of those, and this was one of the best- technically, 2nd best … the best one is still to come). I first spun this while walking around a mall Christmas shopping (probably the last time I ever did that since it was 2019).  I was so floored with it, I actually had to stop, grab a coffee, and just sit "with" this album to take it in.

The band has been kicking around for over 20 years, but Specters On Parade is not only the best album of their career - their first since 2012 - it's one of those records where, after taking it all in, it's easy to wonder why in the hell M.I.GOD. hasn't been picked up by a label and put on a well-deserved promo pedestal.  Specters On Parade is a bold concept album featuring 20 tracks - ten full songs separated by brief soundscapes - that focuses on the protagonist's internal battle with his mind - perhaps some kind of Personality Disorder manifested as “spectres” or “ghosts” in his mind (there is a song-only version on Spotify if you want to skip those interludes, but I hear them as a necessary element to the experience). Heavy, melodic and dark, the vocals are remarkably versatile and theatrical despite the mid-range delivery - it's one of those smoky goth voices yet all metal right up to hitting the highs.  There is the occasional use of harsh/death vocals to good effect - mostly as a haunting way of underlining the madness in the protagonist. and using that style of growls as a nuance rather than the primary sound - which I'm very thankful. 

Musically, there are moments of middle-eastern influenced melodies, synth-heavy orchestration gives a theatrical vibe to the certain tracks, crunchy riffs and melodies with catchy hooks, great solo'g, guitar riffs and tones range anywhere from Queensryche to Dream Theater to Devin Townsend depending on the song, and the drum work stands out in a very Portnoy / Rockenfield way, providing a solid metal backbone without being overbearing.  The album starts and ends quietly but the songs never lag, and there is always some sort of prog-weirdness around the corner to keep the listener engaged.  There is a slight 'pause' mid album with a lovely and psychedelic, acoustic-based ballad (Tears of Today) with an amazing, melodic riff, emotional singing, and alternative rock sound.  This would not be out of place on an 80s glam metal album - and most of you know, I love me my power ballads

Fave Song - Weight of A Million Souls
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - #15. My God, a ghostly experience
« Reply #390 on: February 22, 2023, 05:25:32 AM »
Crickets?  Good... then I can still use them in upcoming roulettes  :)  I know a few people will be weighing in on this one ....

14. Ostura / The Room [2018]

The Room edges out Spectres on Parade solely because it's a year older, and has had more spins.  It finished ahead of Resolve solely on the superior vocal performance - no disrespect to Sarah Teets, but Elia Monsef's performance is just God-tier here.  This was my 2018 Album of the Year - I was actually quite stunned and shocked that this album only rated 14th, but as I said with my last entry, every other album ahead of this was my #1 or #2 AOTY, and all of them have many more years of listening under their belt.  Time is the only reason this doesn't rate higher, because the quality of everything - writing, composition, arrangement, performance, sound, instrumentation, mix, production… everything is without a flaw.  The Room is the second album from Lebanese band Ostura. Clocking in at 1 hour and 14 minutes, this is an album which immediately stands out as flawless, but it will take at least a few (or more) listens to fully grasp what it has to offer.

The Room is a massive production with performers from 12 countries, alongside the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra and the core band. The recording includes a Chamber Quintet, Live Percussion, Ethnic instruments, Solo instruments, and analog synthesizers as well as a fair share of electronica. Ostura ’s music is known for its cinematic structure and change of atmospheres based on character emotions and dialogue. The music is as melodic as can be with heavy arrangements and occasional orchestral sections never heard in a rock context before, and the album impresses from the first glance at the exquisite artwork until its final note. The 12 songs were written in chronological order and work as a score for an equally cinematic storyline about a socially reclusive girl who takes refuge in a room. Locked in with her thoughts, fears, and ambitions, the girl’s imagination turns the room into an endless universe where she is the creator. Soon after, her creation gains the ability to create and ask the right questions. The story tackles the notions of fear, perfection, social anxiety, ambitions, rage, power, and the struggle between the creator and the creation.

The one word descriptor for this one is bombastic.  It is so prog … so tight … so melodic… so dense.  Thomas Lang just pounding – POUNDING – on the skins, and with other big names making guest appearances - Marco Sfogli, Arjen, Michael Mills… this one is just oozing with musical talent.  Ostura may be pegged as “Symphonic Power Metal” or “Prog Metal”, but the after a few dedicated listens, it's painfully obvious that they clearly transcend all those genres, with the technical and emotional aspects this album amplified in equal measures.

Fave Song - Deathless

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - #14 should be everyone's AOTY from 2018
« Reply #391 on: February 22, 2023, 07:19:28 AM »
While I know the band names, I have not heard the last 2 albums.

Listening to Ostura now, enjoying it so far  :corn
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - #14 should be everyone's AOTY from 2018
« Reply #392 on: February 22, 2023, 08:56:07 AM »
Ostura  :hefdaddy

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #393 on: February 22, 2023, 09:37:00 AM »
The Room is great, and I agree with Deathless being the best song  :metal

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #394 on: February 22, 2023, 09:51:22 AM »
On a side note, Elia posted a few days ago that Ostura 2 is recorded and ready, they're just working on a distributor and plan.

:caffeine:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: February 22, 2023, 03:08:49 PM »
0/2 here.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #396 on: February 22, 2023, 03:11:40 PM »
Chad, I have criminally neglected this thread, and for that I apologize. After my roulette, I will go through this.

These last two albums are pretty good, but I'd have to revisit them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #397 on: February 22, 2023, 03:15:24 PM »
I'd go back too, but I'm not sure how many of these bands you would use in my roulette later this year?  Based on the first few though I did check, probably not wise unless there is some more variety in a lot of these other albums.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #398 on: February 22, 2023, 06:15:18 PM »
I’ve been listening to the Ostura album a lot after discovering it through Lonestar’s top 50 thread. Definitely a good one.

I’ve been trying to listen to as many on your list as I can, Jingle. I have to say that my favourite so far is The Last Epic by A.C.T. I knew of this album and that it was highly regarded but never checked it out before as it was described as poppy. I’ve listened to it about half a dozen times over the last couple of weeks and it’s fantastic! Like a prog Jellyfish. Awesome.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: February 22, 2023, 06:19:38 PM »
I'd go back too, but I'm not sure how many of these bands you would use in my roulette later this year?  Based on the first few though I did check, probably not wise unless there is some more variety in a lot of these other albums.

Challenge accepted. I think I’ll have a handle on which ones would be up your alley, and which wouldn’t.

Tim…when the list is done, I’ll let you know which ones to avoid.  :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #400 on: February 22, 2023, 06:20:43 PM »

Challenge accepted. I think I’ll have a handle on which ones would be up your alley, and which wouldn’t.

I'd probably avoid half of them anyway!  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #401 on: February 22, 2023, 06:44:13 PM »

Hmmm....we will see but my tastes really have changed lately I feel.  Hoping for some surprises though.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #402 on: February 22, 2023, 07:14:22 PM »
I've been quietly following this thread. A lot of albums I would rank among my all time favorites (Mercy Falls, Clutching at Straws, LoDDoD, The Whirlwind come to mind), but a lot more that I've never heard of. I clearly need to give this Ostura a listen.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #403 on: February 22, 2023, 09:03:23 PM »
I just clicked and listened through Deathless and man I am going to spin this first chance I get tomorrow. I'm a big fan of Thomas Lang and seeing Marco make an appearance was also awesome.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: February 22, 2023, 09:52:19 PM »
Most everyone around here surely knows Mindmaze -

Errrrr......

I guess I assumed it since they're kinda 'friends' with DTF - good friends with Nick; I've hung out with the band a few times, I think RJ has as well. 

Sorry I am super late with this comment... Cool! I did not know this. I have their albums, but only as of recently. I will make a point to give them a good listen over the next week or two.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #405 on: February 22, 2023, 10:26:27 PM »
Ostura is great! :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #406 on: February 25, 2023, 04:37:16 AM »
13. Dream Theater / Scenes From A Memory [1999]

The fifth studio album by our flagship band. Do I really need to say much?? Everyone has heard this one.  The album is a masterpiece of progressive metal, showcasing the incredible musicianship and songwriting skills of the band. The guitar work of JP and the keyboards of JR weave intricate and complex melodies throughout the album.  Top to bottom, this disc covers it all from Dream Theater – great instrumentals, terrific ballads, head-banging riffs (WOMP WOMP), complex arrangements, instrumental wanking, insane unisons … this disc gives the listener everything.  When the Gospel Choir hits from the live version, it never fails to give me goose bumps.  My only complaint (and complaint is too strong a word) with this album is that James’ vocal abilities weren’t up there with the rest of the band, or up to his own usual standards (at this point in their career).  I fully realize this is a function of his accident, and this is still a good performance from him – it would likely be higher on my list if the accident had never happened, and his voice was more like how he in the early 90s, or even  as good as he was in the late 2000s.  Despite that, he delivers emotive and powerful performances on tracks like "Through My Words" and "The Dance of Eternity."   :lol

From start to finish, the album is a cohesive musical journey that showcases the band's incredible musical skills and their ability to tell a story through their music. It is a true masterpiece that has stood the test of time but doesn't quite crack my top 10.

Fave Song - Strange Deja Vu

P.S.  1/2 of the above was from my first writeup of SFAM in my original top 50; the other 1/2 was written by ChatGPT - including the part of the emotional vocals in TDOE.   :rollin :rollin

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - #13 looking thru my recollections
« Reply #407 on: February 25, 2023, 04:42:22 AM »
What a fucking masterpiece.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #408 on: February 25, 2023, 05:07:22 AM »
I think I‘ve heard of this band, it‘s probably time I check them out.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #409 on: February 25, 2023, 05:08:11 AM »
Now, I have to listen to this today.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #410 on: February 25, 2023, 06:32:21 AM »
Eh, it's alright.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: February 25, 2023, 08:10:33 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #412 on: February 25, 2023, 08:43:34 AM »
That's the album I came in on.  I was on the Joe Satriani e-mail forums in '99, they did a poll of their favorite bands, and DT came in second.  I checked out three DT songs from Napster, the cover of Tori Amos' "Winter", the cover of "Damage Inc." with Barney Greenaway on guest vocals, and "Overture 1928".  Quite a spread, eh?  :)  The latter in particular hooked me, I bought SFAM when it came out, and the rest as they say, is history. 

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #413 on: February 26, 2023, 07:41:22 AM »
I’ve listened to that Ostura album several times the past few years, including right after you posted it, and nothing sticks.  Pretty sure it’s not my AotY that year.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: February 28, 2023, 05:09:08 AM »
12. Vanden Plas / Chronicles of the Immortals: Netherworld (Path 1); Netherworld II [2014/2015]

With 6 albums under their belt, Vanden Plas was already a fave Prog/Power metal band of mine.  While early releases of the band were very much what some might describe as ‘standard’ prog metal, very strong albums, there was still a fair amount of range between killer and filler (filler in the traditional sense). Well-written and executed, the albums nonetheless contained all the chops, time changes and understated melodies that typify the genre. The Vanden Plas of 2014 however, put out a very different beast - and beastly it is. Over the years, the band have become increasingly interested in the theatre, becoming more and more involved with stage shows and rock musicals.  ‘Chronicles Of The Immortals: Netherworld’ takes the concept story idea to a whole new level. In conjunction with renowned German author Wolfgang Hohlbein, the band created a new rock opera based around Hohlbein’s ‘Chronicles Of The Immortals’ novels. Once the opera sold out for each of it’s 25 performances in Kaiserslautern, it seemed necessary to the band that they needed to create a (double) album based on the stage show. Each of these was my AOTY, so including them in a single entry just seemed fitting. 

The album begins suitably theatrically, in the vein of a film score with narration by Dave Esser (incredibly, the same narrator from The Chronicles Project which released the same after Netherworld I) which sets up the story, and segues into what I can only describe as a bit of a dark lullaby …  Vision 2wo: The Black night barges in, and Kuntz’s unmistakable voice soars over an increasingly metallic piece which builds the tension ahead of the main body of the album - immediately grabbing the listener, and hardly ever lets go over the next 55 minutes.  There's one orchestral passage as a segue track, and a single ballad to break up the action, but otherwise this is head-banging metal from start to finish.

Musically, it's properly and perfectly heavy (for these ears). Unrelentingly powerful double-pedal drumming and monstrous bass work create an impressively strong framework upon which sit riff-hungry guitars that growl and shriek with real intent. The guitar tone throughout offers a satisfying crunch -  clean prog-power, yet incredibly heavy without being djent-y or too aggressive - and the sparingly used lead runs are expertly crafted to provide that most metal of embellishments without detracting from the overall feel of the music. All of this is then wrapped up in some stunning keyboard and synth work, that adds depth, warmth and richness to the compositions. Always present, it is often subtle but comes to the fore when required, underlining that dramatic, filmlike feel to the vast majority of the material. The rating for these is aided by the fact that I absolutely adore the immediately recognizable and distinctive sound provided by Andy Kuntz’s voice and delivery.  Part 2 takes all of 30 seconds to get right back into the frantic headbanging with one mother-fuckin grandiose riff, and uses virtually all of the same basic ingredients of Path 1, while giving the listener a whole new recipe.  The second part is a fair bit more 'progressive', with more frequent, but perfect, use of symphony patches throughout, longer tracks, more complex (yet accessible) song structures, more technicality to the musicianship, greater variety in style and delivery … all of which provides a slightly different tone to the album - but still metal af.

Fave Song - Vision 7even: The King and the Children of the Lost World
Fave Song - Vision 13teen: Stone Roses Edge

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - #12 a double dose of German prog/power
« Reply #415 on: February 28, 2023, 05:44:51 AM »
Rights, loads to catch up on. A run of stuff that's not quite my cup of tea mostly!

TSO - Eh. I love the idea, but ultimately I find their Christmas covers really quite bland. Never been a fan of Savatage either, so that might be part of it. The only TSO album I quite like is actually the Beethoven one - had a dramatic vibe I quite enjoyed.

Epysode - One of those good-but-not-great albums for me. But to be honest I don't remember very much about it.

Trond Holter - Not on Spotify here but I gave it a listen on Youtube before going on holiday, then forgot all about it. Didn't wow me but I found it rather enjoyable from what I remember - I'll have to give it another spin. (EDIT: Yep, listening again and this album is a blast. Enjoyable variety and theatricality, and even in the more straightforward metal parts it's full of good hooks.)

Consortium Project - Not heard that album. Other stuff I've heard from that band/project was not really my thing. Might give it a listen at some point.

Green Carnation - Solid album but one I can't quite get into. That said, I love the album they did a couple of years ago, so maybe I should give this another listen as I've not heard it in years.

Seventh Wonder - This SW album was one I had already heard, and it's yet another of those 7/10 albums I liked but didn't love. I think this band just doesn't quite do it for me for some reason.

Symphony X - Now we're talking, great album. My first exposure to the band, and while it's not my favourite of theirs, it's still great. The use of famous classical music is cheesy as hell but epic in a fun way.

Spock's Beard - Great album and excellent narrative. I'm one of those weirdos who likes a higher proportion of albums from the Nick and Ted eras than the Neal one, but this album and V are really excellent.

Mind's Eye - Not heard it, will try and give it a listen.

Mindmaze - Another of those 7/10s I remember little about. :lol

M.I.GOD - Great album, thanks for sending me their stuff in my roulette!

Ostura - See Mindmaze. :lol

DT - Never heard of them. :neverusethis: Interestingly enough I went off this album for a while and still rank it lower mid-table within their discography, despite how loved it is by other fans. But it's still a pretty great album.

Vanden Plas - I've heard Netherworld II and it was pretty good. Another 7/10 for me but this one I do actually remember reasonably well enough - the overall sound was good and I liked what was going on, just for some reason even with a few listens the vocal hooks just didn't really grab me, and so I lost interest.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 09:25:27 AM by ariich »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: February 28, 2023, 08:13:13 AM »
Yeah, these two Vanden Plas albums rock. :metal
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #417 on: February 28, 2023, 09:26:21 AM »
In this thread, Rich ranks everything 7/10

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #418 on: February 28, 2023, 09:32:34 AM »
In this thread, Rich ranks everything 7/10
That is definitely the median and mode and probably close to the mean average. :lol

EDIT: Yep, I checked and the current mean average is 7.2. :P
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 09:49:14 AM by ariich »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #419 on: February 28, 2023, 02:23:26 PM »
Part 1 may be my fav VP album.  Part 2 may be close to my least fav up to that point.  I felt let down.