Author Topic: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - The Top 2 to wrap things up  (Read 20121 times)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I like The Whirlwind but I think it's too long and too bloated to be really great. The first two Transatlantic records and a lot of other Neal Morse related music is miles ahead of this.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I like The Whirlwind but I think it's too long and too bloated to be really great. The first two Transatlantic records and a lot of other Neal Morse related music is miles ahead of this.

I don’t disagree.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
That's kind of you  :D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
I gave The Whirlwind a spin around the time it came out and I didn't like it. TA is a tough band for me to get into, there are moments where I really like their music but those moments are just too far apart. I gave Is It Really Happening a spin and it was better than I remember (to be fair I remember very little) but I'll give it a listen sometime this week.

I think Hermina is the most interesting thing you've posted (out of the albums I haven't heard). I love the sax and I'm all about the riffage.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I gave The Whirlwind a spin around the time it came out and I didn't like it. TA is a tough band for me to get into, there are moments where I really like their music but those moments are just too far apart. I gave Is It Really Happening a spin and it was better than I remember (to be fair I remember very little) but I'll give it a listen sometime this week.

I think Hermina is the most interesting thing you've posted (out of the albums I haven't heard). I love the sax and I'm all about the riffage.

If you dig that riff, you’ll love the rest of Venus.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Awesome, that will be the next album I listen to.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Those Hemina albums are great!

The Whirlwind was a bit of a letdown after the first 2 Transatlantic albums.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Hemina is an obvious hole in my Aussie repertoire.  I may have heard them, you may actually sent them to me in a roulette.  I'll check them out.

I may own the Whirlwind.  I have no idea why though.  Never taken to this band.  Maybe I'll revisit it one day.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Maybe I have heard them before.  I didn't like those songs at all.  Definitely not my thing anymore.

When I thought they were sent to me in a roulette, I think I was thinking Hibria, sent by Tim.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I’m fairly surprised at the luke-warm reception for The Whirlwind. Not surprised that Hemina didn’t click for you, Kade. Not to worry, you’ll swoon for the next entry.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Updates from me.

I found Stargate a bit meh. Not bad, just nothing that grabbed me at all.

Royal Hunt was pretty good though. I'd only heard the odd song here and there before, no idea which era they'd been from but I had an idea of what to expect and this was definitely more engaging. Still wouldn't say I love it, but the album had quite a lot of good hooks and cool ideas.

The Whirlwind is amazing, definitely TA's best album.

Those Hemina albums are great too, and thank you for introducing me to them in one of my roulettes. The other two albums of theirs didn't grab me so much, but those two are excellent.

Also, I'm enjoying digging further into Teramaze who seem like a really great band. I might like I Wonder even more than Her Halo, and am currently on my first listen to Esoteric Symbolism which I'm very much enjoying too. Each of these albums has a slightly different vibe and style to them, which also keeps things interesting. Like, while it's still prog metal, I Wonder definitely has a slightly more "alt-prog" sound with influences from post-hardcore and I think they do a great job of balancing the modern and classic prog metal stylings on it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
I know for me, The Whirlwind was good not great, until I listened to it one day while painting, not long after my dad died.   It really pressed some buttons and will always be special to me for that.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
27. W.A.S.P. / The Crimson Idol [1992]

Goddamn, thank you Kade.  Arena of Pleasure was my gateway to all things W.A.S.P, and fuck me hard for not discovering them in the 80s when I should have.  Metal from that era didn't have a lot of intricate concept albums, and this is a fucking golden one.  Clocking in at just under an hour, it's a detailed story with a long list of characters, which boils down to the ups and downs of being a rock star.  Perhaps metaphoric for the band?  Maybe, maybe not.  No matter, it starts out frantic as fuck with combo of Invisible Boy / Arena of Pleasure.  The quality of writing on this album is miles ahead of anything W.A.S.P. / Blackie had done before this.  Good as it may have been, there wasn't a lot of depth to much of their earlier compositions - their earlier albums were littered with some 'Killer', but also a lot of "filler" (in the traditional sense).  Every song on here has a purpose and most have a memorable chorus. 'Murders In The New Morgue' has a chorus with hooks as melodic as any traditional AOR act from the 70s/80s could have written, and songs like 'I Am One' has a catchy chant and chorus that would stand toe-to-toe with anything out of 80s-era Iron Maiden. Not all the songs are your typical fist in the air, guitars up to 11, :2metal:. In fact the album is far from that. Many songs have a short acoustic interlude, accompanied with some ballad work.  Combine all that with a simple forward moving plot, this is an amazingly enjoyable listen, sprinkled with reoccurring themes, verses, and lyrics that pop up all around the album - putting it on par with all of the other great albums on this list. 

RJ, stop rolling your eyes and give it a try.

Fave Song - Arena of Pleasure

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - #27. Jonathan Steel and his red axe
« Reply #293 on: January 30, 2023, 04:45:52 PM »
This is ranked far too low.  From memory was number 16 or 15 in my top 50.  It's elite.

The quality of writing on this album is miles ahead of anything W.A.S.P. / Blackie had done before this.  Good as it may have been, there wasn't a lot of depth to much of their earlier compositions - their earlier albums were littered with some 'Killer', but also a lot of "filler" (in the traditional sense).

This album was my gateway to WASP too and it took me a while to branch out and explore the rest, so while I can see where you are coming from and pretty much agree, I think this statement is being unfair on The Headless Children.  That's a wonderful album that I know some rate higher than TCI.

TCI however for me, will always be their pinnacle.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: January 31, 2023, 04:28:31 AM »
Fair point re: THC.  I was thinking more about the first 3 albums.  In fact, I think I'll play THC right now to remind myself how good it is! 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: January 31, 2023, 03:47:27 PM »
Fair point re: THC.  I was thinking more about the first 3 albums.  In fact, I think I'll play THC right now to remind myself how good it is!

The debut IMO is so much better than Circus and Last Command, but I kinda knew what you meant though.  The debut is probably top 3 WASP for me.  Although, on any given day, THC, WASP, KFD and DFTW could all take two spots in that top 3.

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - #30 | Not a Nickfail
« Reply #296 on: January 31, 2023, 09:34:52 PM »
Top 5 album of all time for me. So glad I saw it in full at Morsefest this past year.

Top 5?  It’s the third best Transatlantic album.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - #30 | Not a Nickfail
« Reply #297 on: January 31, 2023, 10:03:51 PM »
Top 5 album of all time for me. So glad I saw it in full at Morsefest this past year.

Top 5?  It’s the third best Transatlantic album.

TASTESTM!!!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: February 01, 2023, 03:57:40 AM »

The debut IMO is so much better than Circus and Last Command, but I kinda knew what you meant though.  The debut is probably top 3 WASP for me.  Although, on any given day, THC, WASP, KFD and DFTW could all take two spots in that top 3.

Agreed ........debut , Headless and Crimson Idol are a cut above.

When it came time for my DTF Top 50 many years back I went for Headless Children but Crimson Idol and debut were very close.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #299 on: February 01, 2023, 06:07:44 AM »
Ok.. I gave the wasp album a sample. There's some good stuff there, definitely not in my wheelhouse though. Also, not sure if it's because it's dated to me or if it's a shit Spotify mix, but the sound on what I sampled was pretty muddled.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #300 on: February 01, 2023, 08:44:55 AM »
Yeah that's probably the most interesting thing I've heard from W.A.S.P. and better than I expected. Still not entirely my thing really, but I'm glad I checked it out.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: February 01, 2023, 09:00:04 AM »
:fistpump:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: February 01, 2023, 02:16:22 PM »

When it came time for my DTF Top 50 many years back I went for Headless Children but Crimson Idol and debut were very close.

Yeah, if I had to make a definite call, these would be the top 3.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #303 on: February 02, 2023, 11:12:17 AM »

This. Crimson Idol made my top 50

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #304 on: February 02, 2023, 11:18:08 AM »
Just catching up, sorry.

Royal Hunt - not my favourite by them, that would be Fear, but a pretty good album. I’m not a huge DC Cooper fan.

Transatlantic- probably my favourite from them. Excellent.

Brave - bored me shitless back in the day, and I saw them do it live on the tour and almost fell asleep. A recent play through was better but not a favourite from the band.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: February 02, 2023, 02:38:04 PM »
Work has been a bit of a bear the past couple of days.  Double update tomorrow morning.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #306 on: February 02, 2023, 02:50:19 PM »
Whatever you say Deadeye....

:neverusethis:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #307 on: February 02, 2023, 02:51:13 PM »
Sure must be awful driving to work.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #308 on: February 02, 2023, 09:34:05 PM »
Ok.. I gave the wasp album a sample. There's some good stuff there, definitely not in my wheelhouse though. Also, not sure if it's because it's dated to me or if it's a shit Spotify mix, but the sound on what I sampled was pretty muddled.

I’m sure if it was Japanese girls you’d be cool with it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: February 03, 2023, 05:22:23 AM »
26. Threshold / Legends of the Shires [2017]

I came into this expecting not to like it.  I wasn’t much of a fan of Glynn’s voice/style on Psycadelicatessen, and thought it was kinda shady the way the band had parted with Wilson (I'm glad they all reconciled though).  Boy, what a mistake I’d made.  I was blown away by this with the opening tracks after the intro, and dare I say they probably made the right call.  I’m not sure I can hear Wilson’s voice doing this album.  The sound is distinctly Threshold – crunchy/catchy riffs, pounding rhythms, warm keyboards, and great hooks/melodies all over the place…  the formula is all there and I love it, and Glynn's sound complements it beautifully.  But it's not Threshold by the numbers - the album is filled with variety, with no two songs taking the same path, or sounding samey whatsoever.
I'm not totally sold on the story - sort of dual story with lyrics that are as much about a nation trying to find its place in the world as it is about a man trying to find his place in society, which provides an interesting balance between the personal and political themes; comparing and contrasting the broken promises of a man with the broken promises of a nation. While there are clear political themes, the lyrics don’t cross the line into the sort of preachiness that’s likely to turn off listeners who don't want politics in their music.  Seeing many of these tracks performed at PPUSA was an absolute treat.
Minor gripe - it didn't really need to be a double album at 82 minutes! I'm sure there was 2 minutes in there they could have trimmed somewhere to make this fit on a single disc for those that like physical media.  It doesn't bother me though, as I haven't bought much physical media in the last 5 years, so digital only works just fine.
Fave Song - Trust The Process

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: February 03, 2023, 05:24:23 AM »
Great album, my favourite is Small Dark Lines. They sure know how to write choruses.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I was lucky to see them tour for this album on Rosfest. Really enjoyed the new songs from this album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: February 03, 2023, 05:26:20 AM »
Great album, my favourite is Small Dark Lines. They sure know how to write choruses.

SDL is 1b for me.  It's a great tune as well.

I was lucky to see them tour for this album on Rosfest. Really enjoyed the new songs from this album.

Same... at PPUSA '19.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Great album!

I be am boner inducing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Very solid album  :tup