Author Topic: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - The Top 2 to wrap things up  (Read 20353 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - #22. the song is the album
« Reply #350 on: February 11, 2023, 05:05:24 AM »
20. Seventh Wonder / Mercy Falls [2008]

The whole album is a ride of ups and downs, with Tommy Karevik setting the atmosphere with his amazing and well-controlled voice.  This is a diverse entry combining various tempos with the level of complexity one would expect (demand?) from an album of this nature. Incorporating compelling instrumental sections, the members of Seventh Wonder give this listener an exhibition of their exceptional talents. Each member is so proficient in their instrument, and the playing and chemistry between the band members is so tight that it serves to project the emotion of the album even more. Of particular impress is bass player Andreas Blomqvist whose contributions are immense; the keyboards are simply brilliant, always standing out when they should and giving the guitars the limelight when time is ripe; the melodies conjured by the keyboards and guitars are simply brilliant.  Musically, lyrically, and vocally, this is just god-tier.  But hot-damn, that narration :tdwn, and really brings down the rating.  This could be Top-10 material if not for the god-awful spoken parts of the wife/mother and Doctor.  The fact almost makes the Top 20 regardless says something about the musicality.

Fifteen songs may seem a bit long to some, but the story kinda requires it - I'm really not sure where any trimming could have occurred, and to me it doesn't really matter, as the album passes in the blink of an eye.  The melodies are simply blissful, there sure are many of them, and the band will just keep 'em coming, executing them with near-impossible perfection. Karevik can put many prog singers to shame, but I'm only mentioning him since people tend to pick their bands based on how they like the vocalist. Everyone threw in a top-notch performance here.

I believe it is/was this album that separated them from the usual comparisons in sound and style of the prog/power metal greats before them - DT, S-X, Ayreon and the like.  This broke them away from being a 'me-too' kind of band, to be recognized and appreciated all on their own merits - largely on the performance of Karevik.  This is album #3 (of 7) that has an accompanying live DVD performance, and it's simply spectacular, aided by the fact they were smart enough not to sample the narration on top of it (though, I believe it was a one-off performance, not a full tour of it).

Fave Song - One Last Goodbye (the live version though, so I don't have to listen to that damned narration)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - #20. Oh boy... those spoken parts!!
« Reply #351 on: February 11, 2023, 06:11:19 AM »
Solid album

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #352 on: February 11, 2023, 01:11:14 PM »
If anyone wants to watch me cover the solo I put a video up......11 years ago!  :omg:

https://youtu.be/JyPsLYQ63QQ

I got comments from Bjorn who composed and played the solo, the singer Kjetil and Anders the drummer.  Absolutely honoured.
Time to revisit it and cover the whole song. Hop to it! :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: February 12, 2023, 07:24:38 AM »
I checked out One Last Goodbye and really dug it. Giving the album a spin now!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #354 on: February 12, 2023, 03:27:32 PM »
I have this album.  I remember it being solid.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: February 16, 2023, 04:48:35 AM »
Whoops!  Forgot about this for a few days.  It's been a strange week.

19. V: The New Mythology Suite / Symphony X [2000]

Complex, yet melodic Prog Metal blended with Neo-Classical hard rock, big choirs, classical music and magnificent instrumental passages. The musicianship and songwriting is first class and there's a reason I recently put Russell Allen as my favorite singer of all-time.  As much as I have a hard on for Allen’s voice, he doesn’t stand out here like he does on most other SX albums – he weaves his vocals in and around the music so gracefully. Musically, Romeo and Pinella are flawless.  I don’t have enough good things to say about this album. All told, this is full of awesomesauce.  This is one of those albums that wastes little time to capture your attention - 1:07 to be precise.  Those opening symphonic arrangements are stunning, and the rest of the orchestral passages throughout the album maintain that high standard of excellence.  Despite being a concept album, individual tracks are very accessible in and of themselves.  Romeo weaves wonderful melodies blending piano, acoustic guitar, keyboards, strings and all manners of instrumentation across the entirety of this hour historical and mythological adventure.

I'm not sure if TSO intended to plagiarize some melodies from this, but Prelude and A Fool's Paradise have a few distinct similarities to some later-day TSO.

Fave Song -
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #356 on: February 16, 2023, 05:20:40 AM »
If anyone wants to watch me cover the solo I put a video up......11 years ago!  :omg:

I got comments from Bjorn who composed and played the solo, the singer Kjetil and Anders the drummer.  Absolutely honoured.

Nice dude, you gained a subscriber!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
My favourite SymX album :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Symphony X just never clicked with me :dunno:

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni

Same unfortunately

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

Same unfortunately

It's funny, I have a friend who is good friends with Russell, she used to tour with the band back when she lived in Germany, and always hangs out with him when he heads through town. On their last tour when they had Haken opening, she tossed me an offer to go with her, and all I could think of 'wonder if I'll get to meet Haken'. Work shit happened, and I ended up having to dump on the show anyways.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member

Same unfortunately
They never clicked with me either, but they do have a lot of good tracks, and this album overall is pretty good
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Love V. It was not only my intro to the band, but it remains my favorite of theirs.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: February 16, 2023, 02:30:24 PM »

Nice dude, you gained a subscriber!

Cheers Luke.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
V is good, but mid tier SX for me.

Offline Lowdz

My first SX album. I have a soft spot for it but I was a bit disappointed. I was expecting so much more with the comparisons with DT. It lacks melody in the songwriting for me. Great performances all round but needed better “songs”

Offline Lowdz

I love the Mercy Falls album. That would be much higher on my list.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
I'm way overdue for another Symphony X binge, but I feel like V might be my second favorite.  "Evolution" is so badass. 

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Love V. It was not only my intro to the band, but it remains my favorite of theirs.

Same here.  And when I saw them with Haken last year it reminded me how much I enjoy them, particularly this one and The Odyssey.  And, DAMN, is Russell a beast live and a great front man. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Same here.  And when I saw them with Haken last year it reminded me how much I enjoy them, particularly this one and The Odyssey.  And, DAMN, is Russell a beast live and a great front man.

Hell fuckin yeah he is.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
18. Spock's Beard / Snow [2002]

Another album that marks the end of an era on one of it's initial members, capping off the run of albums with a 10-alarm bell Concept Album - a double album no less!  "Snow" is truly a powerful album full of grand themes, heavy musicianship and a very well crafted and detailed story line. I am sure some might believe this double-disc is unnecessarily prolonged as a double album, but I am not one of those. Although they may have been able to tell the story in less than 80 minutes, they took the time and space to really unleash some telling musicianship. The music as usual is rich and expressive with some great vocals by Neal Morse and crew. As with the previous 4 albums, "Snow" is full of vocal harmonies and wild timing to keep your toes tapping. Sonically this album is pure magic with some instrumental depth. Musical themes run throughout the album with both soft and loud moments. The story line is bit wild with some human abhoration named SNOW and the album tells us of his story and encounters - in many ways not dissimilar to the stories of earlier classic prog concepts such as The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, or Subterranea.  But, for me, this one gets the nod - I never really connected too deeply with those other two classics.

A couple of comments from my original writeup in Top 50v2 that still apply today.  First, I seem to recall there was some DTF hate for the 2nd disc for some reason (not sure why), but for me, this one start-to-finish is about as good a prog concept as there is. Second, Neal really plays up the keys on this album, letting Ryo loose, and I love all of those Hammond and moog moments.  Neal’s religious tendencies come through here, but not in the obvious in-your-face way his solo stuff is.  Is there filler here?  Sure, but in my opinion, it all serves a purpose.  The range of musical styling’s runs the gambit here... instrumentals, heavy pounding rhythms, ballads, blues, jazz, poppy, melodic.  Nothing (that I enjoy) is missed.  No growlies, and that’s a plus!

Fave Song - Devil's Got My Throat

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - #18. The powerful and mystic albino
« Reply #371 on: February 17, 2023, 06:25:15 AM »
I liked Snow when I first heard it which came as a surprise to me, I'm not a big Neal Morse fan. One thing that I loved about Snow was the mix. All the instruments came together perfectly, keyboards especially.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #372 on: February 17, 2023, 06:47:24 AM »
Good stuff for sure...Spock's is always inviting to me, but never really is a must go to band when I need to listen to music. Great live show though for sure.

Offline HOF

« Reply #373 on: February 17, 2023, 08:34:09 AM »
Snow has held up very well for me over the years. In fact I'd say it's grown on me a good bit, even though I loved it when it first came out. I really may be Neal's masterpiece (I still prefer Bridge Across Forever, but that wasn't all him). It has a few parts that I like less than others, but as you said it all has serves a purpose on the album. I used to think disc 2 dragged after Looking for Answers, but seeing them play that live on the Morsefest DVD really brought that segment to life for me. I think it's all great now.

But I wanted to especially point out how much I love that run on disc 2 from the start through Looking for Answers, especially Reflection > Carrie > Looking for Answers. I also frequently return to Solitary Soul, especially for that Al Morse solo. It's interesting that while this is very much a Neal Morse production, I do think he gave the other members a lot of space to shine here, which maybe set them up better for carrying on without him.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: February 18, 2023, 04:36:20 AM »
I have a couple of SB albums, maybe even this one.  Couldn't tell you a damn thing about them though.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #375 on: February 18, 2023, 07:18:17 AM »
I have a couple of SB albums, maybe even this one.  Couldn't tell you a damn thing about them though.

I literally laughed out loud when I read this—you literally typed my thoughts.

That said, I probably should revisit this album, or any Neal Morse for that matter.

Over the years, I’ve dove into his catalog at various points, largely due to the effusive praise from forumers I respect and trust, but for some reason it never really sticks :huh:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: February 18, 2023, 07:39:28 AM »
17. Mind’s Eye / A Gentlemen’s Hurricane [2007]

I've said it before, any band with "Mind" in it's name is pretty much gold in my ears.  I can't think of any that aren't.  Prove me wrong.  This one isn't a terribly original story … clearly it steals quite a bit from Mindcrime (political/religious/assassination/thriller/arc of redemption). This album doesn't waste any time pulling you into the story by the first track Praying for Confession. The mood is set with an eerie beginning and an introduction to your main characters Adam Evangelista and at the end of the track Father Cavallero Di mori. Then it goes right into Seven Days which is a rocking track which holds and conveys most of Adam's guilt. Assassination contains a great chorus and this track becomes the basis of Adam's justification for what he has become and what he must still do.

Vocalist Andreas Novak provides some great screams and wail’s, then counters with passion and elegance in the softer moments; Guitarist Johan Niemann lays down incredible riffs with a hard and raw sound; Drummer and keyboardist Daniel Flores provides a hint of symphony and keyboards throughout, but rarely in the foreground; then the two combine for a rhythm section that bears down on your soul.  Pandora’s Musical Box is an absolute monster of prog craziness, while on the flipside, Ashes to Ashes could be a commercially successful hit, but what the hell does commercial success matter to this genre, amirite?  This album is very melodic with some great compositions. Although the raw emotion and extreme technical prowess are absent, it's still a very nice story with gifted musicians. The voice tracks are well done and not overbearing, so it doesn't get old like watching the same television episode.  This is another one courtesy of the MIA Obscure - she always did have some amazing prog-metal submissions in my first couple of Roulette's. 

Fave Song - Assassination

Offline HOF

Re: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - #17. A priest and a hired killer
« Reply #377 on: February 18, 2023, 08:30:37 AM »
I saw the thread title and thought “surely Mindcrime is higher than 17!”

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #378 on: February 18, 2023, 08:54:11 AM »
Better than the last three albums on this list?  That’s mighty fine praise.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: February 18, 2023, 10:26:36 AM »
I saw the thread title and thought “surely Mindcrime is higher than 17!”

Better than the last three albums on this list?  That’s mighty fine praise.

I may or may not have been feeling a little generous to Mind's Eye when I finalized my list.  This one is heavier than the other three;  Snow suffers from being a double disc and a good time commitment to listen to; Mercy Falls ... well, that damned narration; V... there's a bit of filler in the segue tracks.  I could reasonably interchange any of these four for one another if I was to blind rank them again.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: February 19, 2023, 08:52:52 AM »
16. Mindmaze / Resolve [2017]

Most everyone around here surely knows Mindmaze - considering Nick used to be in the band a lifetime ago.  Just as I said last entry, name me a band with "mind" in it that doesn't suck.  I'll wait.

While waiting… this is the 3rd release by this grass roots prog/power metal band from PA, and absolute stroke of shear magnificence.  It is masterfully composed and constructed, flawlessly performed by four amazing musicians.  It's got an absolutely killer opening instrumental (honestly, it rivals O:M for how glorious it is) and then delivers upon that excellence for another 63 minutes that just flies by.  Jeff Teets (guitarist and primary writer) and the rest of the band display more personal, introspective moods and phrasings that convey an ongoing theme throughout the13 tracks. Sarah Teet’s (sister) soaring, high-pitched vocals cut through like a hot knife through butter; smooth and slick, which are accompanied by jaw-dropingly amazing guitar work from Jeff and excellent instrumentation from the rhythm section.  I believe Jeff was "inspired" by some very personal circumstances and situations, leading him to write the story of a someone realizing they’ve wrongly blamed other(s) for their own mistake(s).  As great as their first two albums were, Resolve features some very complicated arrangements, as well as their best musicianship to date. In fact, some of the instrumental portions on this album are nothing short of stunning, as Jeff has really gone into overdrive with his solo work, producing solos that are both incredibly impressive on a technical level and yet also very melodic and at times even giving off some emotion, which can be a tough thing to pull off. At the same time, he plays some very heavy, thick sounding riffs, and uses a more down tuned guitar tone than on previous albums, which gives the riffs a very - VERY - powerful sound

I gave this one to Puppies in one of his roulette's, and here's his review.  He's pretty spot on (except for the drumming issues).
I want to get something out of the way really quick here. The drum production is the only thing holding this album back. The bass drum is mixed way too loud and the rest of the drums sound like they were recording with a potato (this is a slight exaggeration). The drummer is definitely talented and what he does works well with the music.

So having gotten the bad out of the way, lets talk about all the good this album does. Right off the bat the guitarist (whose last name is Teets (hehehehe)) makes himself known with some fantastic Iron Maiden on speed riffs and solos, mixed with jazzy solos on crack, intermingled with some heavy as balls metal riffs, and some early Queensryche riffage. This is continued throughout the album. This guy is going places. The next thing that is very apparent is the vocals. Not only are they employing a female vocalist, but she isn't the typical female metal vocalist. She isn't an over the top operatic singer. She doesn't have an especially feminine tone (not that she doesn't sound like a woman). She is an anomaly when it comes to female vocalists in metal. I like it. I also don't think she is being used to the extent of her abilities. I think she has way more range that she is displaying here. She just seems to be singing for the song, not trying to outdo anything. The bass also stands out, mostly because you can hear it (which in and of itself is an anomaly in any type of power metal) and because it is well played. I noticed that Mike Lepond was part of this band at one point, but not on this album, and I like his bass chops. This guy here, though, is really good too. I also like the way the keyboards are used here. More of an accompanying instrument to give the music more depth instead of trying to take over the music.

I like what this band is doing. They sound modern and classic at the same time. Kind of a timelessness to their sound. This album was really just a joy to listen to, top to bottom. It's too bad about the drums, but I won't let that impede my enjoyment too much.

9.3/10

If only the band "went places". It's absolutely criminal that these guys aren't more well known/revered, they are so incredibly talented.  Jeff's got a lot of health issues he's dealing with, and while still (occasionally) writing and performing, I don't think there's going to be a follow up to this anytime soon.

Fave Song - Fight the Future  Shred-tastic!

P.S.  Here's another where I and a few others from DTF are thanked in the liner notes.  Nick, in fact, contributed to the chanting vocals in Fight The Future

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Re: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - #16. Definitely not the hind 'Teet'
« Reply #381 on: February 19, 2023, 08:56:40 AM »
Great album, definitely hit all the right marks. When I gave Fight the Future to Indiscipline in his roulette, he said Jeff must've been taking PED's  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: February 19, 2023, 02:30:50 PM »
Most everyone around here surely knows Mindmaze -

Errrrr......

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: February 19, 2023, 02:33:05 PM »
Most everyone around here surely knows Mindmaze -

Errrrr......

I guess I assumed it since they're kinda 'friends' with DTF - good friends with Nick; I've hung out with the band a few times, I think RJ has as well.  And they've been given away more than a few times in Roulette's. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - #16. Definitely not the hind 'Teet'
« Reply #384 on: February 19, 2023, 03:13:40 PM »
That's cool.  I have seen the name I think.