Author Topic: Last movie you saw? v2.0  (Read 55989 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Last movie you saw? v2.0
« Reply #385 on: April 05, 2023, 09:19:26 PM »
Murder Mystery 2

Sandler and Aniston. Plenty of funny moments and those two have real chemistry.

Adam Sandler had funny moments? Surely you jest.

Like Orbert, those movies don't sound familiar at all, but if they are 1/100th as awesome as Clue, I'll check it out.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #386 on: April 05, 2023, 09:33:11 PM »
The Day After (1983)

Criminy, who'd have thought that a bunch of people dying of radiation poisoning (and meningitis) could be so depressing? For the people who weren't around when it was a thing, it was a made for TV movie about the day before and a few days after a nuclear attack in Kansas. I was unaware that Nicholas Meyer directed it, presumably immediately after wrapping up Khan. By all accounts filming the movie was awful enough to make him physically ill for a few months. I can see that. It had a similar effect on plenty of people who only watched it.

All in all it was pretty well done. Half an hour getting to know the various families. Half an hour of WWIII. An hour of the aftermath. Jason Robards was good, although I have a hard time seeing him as anything other than Max Dugan. They even made Steven Guttenberg a heroic figure in this, and that's a tall order. All of the no-name actors who played the townsfolk were convincing enough to keep you interested in their plight, awful though it was. Also, the scenes of the war beginning were actually somewhat chilling. It was set in rural Kansas because of the concentration of missile silos. This accomplished two things. One was that it's a prime target for nuclear attack. The other it set up some wonderful imagery of decent, normal people going about their lives up until the point that Minuteman missiles started taking off all around them. 

The final scene was really something else. A moment of shared understanding and tenderness between two strangers, both running out their final hours. One had been in survival mode, and was still when they came across each other. The other simply waiting to die, who extended compassion to another in the same boat. Given the bleakness of the whole thing, it was really the one glimmer of humanity, coming from a wretched place. .

I wouldn't really recommend it to most people, and some here already saw it once and that was surely enough. Revisiting it, though, it was better than I was expecting.   
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #387 on: April 05, 2023, 09:38:12 PM »
The Day After (1983)

Saw this a long time ago, cannot say I remember much about it, but your synopsis sounds spot on from what I do remember.

Jason Robards was good, although I have a hard time seeing him as anything other than Max Dugan.

I say this to a friend with a smile, but that is how you primarily see Jason Robards? 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #388 on: April 05, 2023, 09:42:47 PM »
The War Game (1966)

Now this was actually pretty grim. This was a British documentary of essentially how The Day After would play out in real life. While American school kids got duck and cover videos, apparently British tykes got "so this is how horrible your life will be if you're unlucky enough to survive the initial attack." Right down to bobbies euthanizing the people who didn't warrant medical treatment due to their decreased (or nonexistent) odds of survival. It was honestly pretty well done, weaving through both documentary and docudrama styles. I can see why it's so highly regarded. I can't see why anybody would actually enjoy watching it, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #389 on: April 05, 2023, 09:42:58 PM »
I watched Babylon a few nights ago. I don't think it needed to be 3 hours, but I liked it. It's basically Boogie Nights meets the Great Gatsby.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #390 on: April 05, 2023, 09:46:39 PM »
I say this to a friend with a smile, but that is how you primarily see Jason Robards?
It's funny. I've seen him in plenty of wonderful things and a variety of roles, but I just can't not think of him as the kindly old grandfather type. It doesn't take away from him, really, but it's always there.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #391 on: April 05, 2023, 10:23:14 PM »
By Dawn's Early Light (1990)

This was a fun movie. Not great by any means, and there's plenty not to like, but overall it is the kind of movie I enjoy watching. Essentially WWIII starts by accident, and a variety people do their part, or choose not to. It's kind of like Failsafe, but more technical and focusing more on the individuals involved. What makes the movie unique, while also being one of the problematic parts, is that in this case nukes have already landed in the US, and the goal is to keep the war limited rather than total, if it does turn out to be an accident. Interesting angle, but I found it kind of unbelievable. There was also a fascinating ethical dilemma; could we accept that one or two million Americans just got accidentally nuked without intentionally returning the favour by blowing up a equal number of equally innocent Rooskies. Unfortunately, this angle never got explored.

Martin Landau plays the president, trying to keep things under control while many, but not all, of his military advisors try to escalate things. When he's presumed killed power falls all the way to the secretary of the interior (Darren McGavin) who seems intent on being the president who "wins" the war. Kind of a dick, really. Generals and admirals all take sides, of course. James Earl Jones aboard looking glass, naturally siding with team "Let's stop this," and Rip Torne on team "Kill the bastards," advising the new hawkish president aboard Air Force 1. The other story involves Powers Boothe and Rebecca De Mornay as pilots of a B52 operating under emergency war orders. I didn't think either of them were great in their roles. Powers Boothe should be grittier than an air force pilot, and Rebecca De Mornay should be a lot less clothed. Casting and clothing not withstanding, their angle was probably the weak link of the movie for a variety of reasons. Mostly their part just wasn't written or acted very well.

A recurring theme in both this and The Day After was people well aware that their deaths had already been set in motion and carrying on until the very end. That's an interesting thing, of course. One thing I love in movies is a good death, and BDEL certainly had a few. Plenty of people trying to get their point across knowing that they have seven minutes, thirty two seconds left to live. You had fighter pilots resigned to crashing when their fuel was well short of enough to get them any place safe. You had one pilot desperately trying to Kamikaze another for the greater good, and the other pilot letting him do so for the same reason.

Like I said, fun, if not particularly good. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #392 on: April 06, 2023, 06:37:12 AM »
Murder Mystery 2

Like Orbert, those movies don't sound familiar at all, but if they are 1/100th as awesome as Clue, I'll check it out.

Right, I'm actually not a huge fan of Sandler but there's a few things he's done that I've liked. Maybe a 1/3 of his stuff. 50 First Dates, Mr Deeds, Just Go With It, and these two Murder Mystery ones.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #393 on: April 06, 2023, 06:51:41 AM »
It's funny. I've seen him in plenty of wonderful things and a variety of roles, but I just can't not think of him as the kindly old grandfather type. It doesn't take away from him, really, but it's always there.
I feel the same way.  The first film I ever saw him in was Max Dugan Returns, which I found delightful (and still enjoy).  Clearly a gifted and talented actor who did many great roles, but he's Max Dugan to me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #394 on: April 06, 2023, 07:25:45 AM »
Murder Mystery 2

Right, I'm actually not a huge fan of Sandler but there's a few things he's done that I've liked. Maybe a 1/3 of his stuff. 50 First Dates, Mr Deeds, Just Go With It, and these two Murder Mystery ones.

With you; not fully on the Adam Sandler bandwagon.  Never really been a fan of goofy faces and goofy voices, which is a large part of his schtick. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #395 on: April 06, 2023, 08:08:15 AM »
Murder Mystery 2

With you; not fully on the Adam Sandler bandwagon.  Never really been a fan of goofy faces and goofy voices, which is a large part of his schtick.
I gave up on Sandler and his shitty comedies years ago.

However, when he picks dramatic roles, he does an unbelievable job.  So good, in fact, that it's hard to reconcile with the Sandler that churns out Netflix "comedies" for his spending money.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #396 on: April 06, 2023, 08:21:37 AM »
However, when he picks dramatic roles, he does an unbelievable job.  So good, in fact, that it's hard to reconcile with the Sandler that churns out Netflix "comedies" for his spending money.

Can't stand Sandler (though They're All Going to Laugh at You cracked me pretty hard tripping balls many years ago). Never seen him in a dramatic role, either. However it doesn't surprise me at all that he'd be good in one. Dramatic acting is easy while comedy is really hard to pull off. "Real actors" often have a rough time at comedy, while a good comedian can usually do a great job in dramatic roles. Robin Williams, Jim Carrey (who I also can't stand), and Bill Murray are great examples.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #397 on: April 06, 2023, 08:43:31 AM »

Can't stand Sandler (though They're All Going to Laugh at You cracked me pretty hard tripping balls many years ago). Never seen him in a dramatic role, either. However it doesn't surprise me at all that he'd be good in one. Dramatic acting is easy while comedy is really hard to pull off. "Real actors" often have a rough time at comedy, while a good comedian can usually do a great job in dramatic roles. Robin Williams, Jim Carrey (who I also can't stand), and Bill Murray are great examples.
We are like the same person today.  I also remember vividly The Day After, and I really liked They're All Going to Laugh at You, and I can't stand Jim Carrey.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #398 on: April 06, 2023, 09:13:46 AM »

We are like the same person today.  I also remember vividly The Day After, and I really liked They're All Going to Laugh at You, and I can't stand Jim Carrey.

Can I be the third leg here (uh, maybe I should rephrase that).   I agree with all of this, though I've warmed a bit - just a bit - to Jim Carrey in recent years. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #399 on: April 06, 2023, 09:23:35 AM »
The Day After (1983)

I've never seen this, but it was a HUGE event when it aired (at least where I lived).  The threat of WWIII and nuclear fallout, etc. was a constant topic of scare fodder when I was in roughly 5th through 10th grade.  We actually had a teacher once try to make us feel better by telling us that, if a nuclear war happened, we wouldn't likely have to suffer through the horrors of radiation poisoning because we'd all likely be killed instantly because we lived right next door to a Naval weapons station where nuclear weapons were stored, and it would be a top priority target.  Ummm...thanks...I guess.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #400 on: April 06, 2023, 10:58:12 AM »
The Day After (1983)

I've never seen this, but it was a HUGE event when it aired (at least where I lived).  The threat of WWIII and nuclear fallout, etc. was a constant topic of scare fodder when I was in roughly 5th through 10th grade.  We actually had a teacher once try to make us feel better by telling us that, if a nuclear war happened, we wouldn't likely have to suffer through the horrors of radiation poisoning because we'd all likely be killed instantly because we lived right next door to a Naval weapons station where nuclear weapons were stored, and it would be a top priority target.  Ummm...thanks...I guess.

Yes, it was quite the event. They had panels of people to give their opinion live on air. And yes, the talk around town was how we would be ground zero. How conforting.................... :tdwn

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #401 on: April 08, 2023, 06:29:50 AM »
Saw the best idea put to movie since recorded history, Cocaine bear  :metal  :lol

It was a surreal coincidence, the night before I had finished The Americans, the whole series, and the very next day I watch a movie with the two protagonists (even though Matthew Rhys has a small part) and another important actress from the show, Margo Martindale.

Anyway, movie is exactly as bonkers and wacky as the title suggests, it surely has no replay value but at least I've checked off my list seeing a bear on drugs  :rollin
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: April 08, 2023, 07:33:43 AM »
Saw the best idea put to movie since recorded history, Cocaine bear  :metal  :lol

It was a surreal coincidence, the night before I had finished The Americans, the whole series, and the very next day I watch a movie with the two protagonists (even though Matthew Rhys has a small part) and another important actress from the show, Margo Martindale.

Anyway, movie is exactly as bonkers and wacky as the title suggests, it surely has no replay value but at least I've checked off my list seeing a bear on drugs  :rollin

I disagree, I could watch, every day, the bit where the bear takes a flying leap at the ambulance...and the aftermath. That shit will never get old.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #403 on: April 08, 2023, 10:30:46 AM »
I have to agree that the ambulance scene is the best of the movie  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #404 on: April 08, 2023, 05:26:52 PM »
I watched Babylon a few nights ago. I don't think it needed to be 3 hours, but I liked it. It's basically Boogie Nights meets the Great Gatsby.

Yeah, it was great and all, but it was never ending, I don't know what I would trim, but at least 30-40 minutes of that movie needed to go. Fun experience though.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #405 on: April 09, 2023, 05:19:14 AM »
Jerry and Marge go Large - (Paramount+) Bryan Cranston, Annette Bening, Rainn Wilson

Great little story and character study. A retiree with a head for numbers cracks the state lottery every month. The leads are perfectly cast. But for more sensitive viewers, be warned there are no f-bombs, drugs, strippers, stabbings, or shootings.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #406 on: April 09, 2023, 12:53:38 PM »
American History X

Hadn’t seen it in about a decade. Between this and DS9 I’m not convinced Avery Brooks can act his way out of a paper bag but Norton and Furlong give stellar performances.

Despite being ham fisted and hokey in certain areas, and parts playing like an after school special, it’s discussions on immigration, race relations, and xenophobia seem even more relevant today. Definitely a worthwhile watch in 2023.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #407 on: April 10, 2023, 08:13:12 AM »
Caught 3 movies over the weekend.

Empire Records (1995)

Hey, Saturday was Rex Manning Day!  I forgot until around 5 pm, and then my wife was gracious enough to indulge me in this cult favorite from my youth.  I'm not sure I would go to much effort describing how GOOD the film is, but I love it, warts and all.

Uncharted (2022)

Based on the video games and starring Tom Holland and Mark Wahlberg, it was a fun little romp with lots of bullshit.  Something fun to watch, but again, probably not all GOOD, and not something I'm dying to see again.

Wind River (2017)

Written and directed by Taylor Sheridan, before his Yellowstone fame, this is a dark story about death on a Native America reservation, starring Jeremy Renner as an agent with Fish & Wildlife and Elizabeth Olsen as an FBI agent, and a whole host of character actors that Sheridan would also use in his later projects like Hell or High Water, Yellowstone, and others.  A well-told and well-acted mystery/crime movie against the backdrop of the bitter cold of Wyoming.  Two thumbs up.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #408 on: April 10, 2023, 08:17:02 AM »
Empire Records (1995)

Hey, Saturday was Rex Manning Day!  I forgot until around 5 pm, and then my wife was gracious enough to indulge me in this cult favorite from my youth.  I'm not sure I would go to much effort describing how GOOD the film is, but I love it, warts and all.

If you can watch the extended or whatever version, it's great. And there's some deleted scenes that make it even better. The movie itself paints Rex as this very two dimensional villain of sorts, but the extended version and some deleted scenes really humanize him and even give him a redemption arc which was cool.

And I say all of this because I know how important it is for you and how much Rex Manning has been stuck in your memory and emotional core since you finished watching the movie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #409 on: April 10, 2023, 09:34:56 AM »
Empire Records (1995)

If you can watch the extended or whatever version, it's great. And there's some deleted scenes that make it even better. The movie itself paints Rex as this very two dimensional villain of sorts, but the extended version and some deleted scenes really humanize him and even give him a redemption arc which was cool.

And I say all of this because I know how important it is for you and how much Rex Manning has been stuck in your memory and emotional core since you finished watching the movie.
I love you so much.

Also, Ryan Reynolds brought back Maxwell Caulfield to play Mr. Manning for a Rex Manning Day commercial for Reynolds's Aviation Gin.  Kudos to Reynolds.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #410 on: April 10, 2023, 10:59:57 AM »
Empire Records (1995)

I like this movie, and I did not know about the extended version.  Yeah, Rex Manning is a putz, but a redemption arc would be interesting.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #411 on: April 15, 2023, 01:44:26 AM »
In Bruges - because I went there.

Great movie. Didn't realise that the other guy was also Farrell's foil from Banshees Of Inisherin. Excellent watch.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #412 on: April 15, 2023, 04:50:16 AM »

Great movie. Didn't realise that the other guy was also Farrell's foil from Banshees Of Inisherin. Excellent watch.

Quirky and lovely movie! I watched it exclusively for Bruges (crossover post with the "I'm travelling somewhere" thread: it's one of the most beautiful cities I've ever visited), but I got in exchange a very nice and surprising movie.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #413 on: April 15, 2023, 07:14:23 AM »

Quirky and lovely movie! I watched it exclusively for Bruges (crossover post with the "I'm travelling somewhere" thread: it's one of the most beautiful cities I've ever visited), but I got in exchange a very nice and surprising movie.

Yes, same here! Would love to return. I love to visit old buildings so was spoilt for choice there. We kept spotting the places we'd been while watching the movie.

Also cool to see Ralph Fiennes as a younger man. Have got very used to seeing him as an oldish dude as M in the Bond films and in The Kings Man.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #414 on: April 15, 2023, 12:19:06 PM »

good documentary. lot of early footage and emphasis on he was (among a few others) 1 of the primary architects of Rock N Roll music.

John Waters among others, had some good comments. He has his mustache of course from Little Richard.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #415 on: April 15, 2023, 12:27:15 PM »
Was McCartney in it?  He is/was a big fan.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #416 on: April 16, 2023, 12:22:26 AM »
Yeah he was. Older footage of him, but he and John (audio only) talk about being heavily inspired and meeting Little Richard in Germany in the early 60's.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #417 on: April 17, 2023, 12:12:55 PM »

This film was made about 15 years ago, and went through distribution hell for what seemed like forever. I'm unsure, but part of it may have been due to length (over 2 hours) and gainng permission to use a lot of copywritten stuff, namely the Star Wars content.

That being said, it finally was officially released last year and was put up on some of the streaming services and Showtime.

It's an art film in a lot of ways, and a true story/biopic of a scifi nerd who grew up in a small town in Illinois wanting to be a filmmaker; making short films in his family home with his siblings and friends. A lot of it has these dreamy, interlaced parts of what the guy, Pat Johnson imagines/dreams of, and then later shows reality. Similar in some ways to what Charlie Kaufman or Michel Gondry has done at times.

I can follow why it may have taken awhile to finally get released/distribution, but it actually at its heart, is a pretty relate-able story overall. And it's great that it is finally available to see after so many years.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #418 on: April 17, 2023, 12:49:57 PM »
Point Break - it was Patrick Swayze day on Saturday. Pretty good flick.....

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #419 on: April 17, 2023, 02:08:47 PM »
Point Break - it was Patrick Swayze day on Saturday. Pretty good flick.....

Johnny Utah.  I love that movie.  If you like that, you'll love the very first "Fast and Furious".  They are very analogous movies.