Author Topic: Stuff on Netflix  (Read 38250 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Stuff on Netflix
« Reply #385 on: March 22, 2024, 11:10:24 AM »
NCAA Tournament going on, so I have no time to watch it right now lol

Obviously not a Kentucky fan then  :lol
Absolutely not, but a couple of dear friends are, so that was fucking delicious.

I know where your loyalties lie.. And am looking forward the potential UNC vs St Mary's match up in the sweet 16.
We'll see what happens.

Anything can happen during the tournament.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #386 on: March 22, 2024, 12:06:27 PM »
My company is doing a pool, so for the first time in a long time, I'm actually paying a bit of attention to the minor league basketball tournament.  I went 8-5 in yesterday's games.  Is it weird that only 13 games were played yesterday and 19 are being played today?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #387 on: March 23, 2024, 05:48:44 PM »
The scene with the Judgement Day going through the canal.... :omg: :omg: :hefdaddy

Actually all of episode 5 was totally insane.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 06:09:26 PM by lonestar »

Offline faizoff

« Reply #388 on: March 23, 2024, 10:12:56 PM »
The scene with the Judgement Day going through the canal.... :omg: :omg: :hefdaddy

Actually all of episode 5 was totally insane.

Fantastic episode! This show has been very entertaining so far. I'm really enjoying all the sci-fi stuff and how each episode unveils more and more. Also so many GoT actors on here apart from the main cast.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #389 on: March 23, 2024, 10:26:28 PM »
I finished it... Need to read the books ASAP lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #390 on: March 24, 2024, 09:44:16 AM »
So The Three Body Problem leans more sci-fi than anything? I need to get on it.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #391 on: March 24, 2024, 10:00:35 AM »
So The Three Body Problem leans more sci-fi than anything? I need to get on it.

Definitely hard sci-fi.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #392 on: March 24, 2024, 10:40:17 AM »
Hell yeah, goal for tonight is to watch it after the kids are asleep.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #393 on: March 26, 2024, 01:43:48 AM »
Ended up flying through the first season of 3 Body Problem. Excellent adaptation. A lot of changes among the main characters which work very well. In the books the protagonists are all in China, and making it more international does kind of make sense, but that aspect doesn't bother me too much, I'd have been equally happy with something more faithful in that regard. But making them a group of people who know each other, some of whom turn out to be protanogists and plot lines that are covered in the later books is a great way to adapt it. The main character from the first book doesn't exist in the show, his stuff is kind of spread across the group, especially Jin (who I quickly realised was Cheng Xin from the third book) and Augustina.*

Overall I really like the character adaptations. To be honest the characters in the books don't have a lot of personality and don't know each other, mostly the narrative is through what they're thinking, which wouldn't translate well on TV.

D&D doing a good job so far, and I'm somewhat hopeful by the fact that the rest of the book series actually exists. They seem very good at adapting but less good at original creation.

*SHOW SPOILER FOR ANY BOOK READERS NOT YET WATCHED IT ALL: I didn't twig that Saul Durand was Luo Ji from the second book until the very end. Even his meeting with Ye Wenjie didn't clue me in. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #394 on: March 26, 2024, 06:06:42 AM »
Obviously not a Kentucky fan then  :lol
Absolutely not, but a couple of dear friends are, so that was fucking delicious.

I despise John Calipari on a level reserved for only a select few people.   Like John Calipari.  Maybe Cam Newton.   

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #395 on: March 26, 2024, 06:36:08 AM »

Offline faizoff

« Reply #396 on: March 26, 2024, 06:37:05 AM »
I finished it... Need to read the books ASAP lol

I too finished that night, I really enjoyed it. I read online how people thought the show fizzled out at the end, but IMO having that slower paced couple of last episodes was a great way to wind down from the chaos a few episodes before. I don't know if it's a phenomenal show but I was entertained throughout with every single episode. They had a good amount of mysteries unveiled yet revealed a lot of them steadily.

Ended up flying through the first season of 3 Body Problem. Excellent adaptation. A lot of changes among the main characters which work very well. In the books the protagonists are all in China, and making it more international does kind of make sense,

From what I read the author of the book sold the rights with the intention of having international cast and setting as part of the deal. I honeslty wouldn't have minded either way. If the story and characters are compelling, I'm fine with whatever change to nationalities are done.

I think I read this planned to be a 4 season show, I'm really hoping it gets made.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #397 on: March 26, 2024, 07:15:36 AM »
Ended up flying through the first season of 3 Body Problem. Excellent adaptation. A lot of changes among the main characters which work very well. In the books the protagonists are all in China, and making it more international does kind of make sense, but that aspect doesn't bother me too much, I'd have been equally happy with something more faithful in that regard. But making them a group of people who know each other, some of whom turn out to be protanogists and plot lines that are covered in the later books is a great way to adapt it. The main character from the first book doesn't exist in the show, his stuff is kind of spread across the group, especially Jin (who I quickly realised was Cheng Xin from the third book) and Augustina.*

Overall I really like the character adaptations. To be honest the characters in the books don't have a lot of personality and don't know each other, mostly the narrative is through what they're thinking, which wouldn't translate well on TV.

D&D doing a good job so far, and I'm somewhat hopeful by the fact that the rest of the book series actually exists. They seem very good at adapting but less good at original creation.

*SHOW SPOILER FOR ANY BOOK READERS NOT YET WATCHED IT ALL: I didn't twig that Saul Durand was Luo Ji from the second book until the very end. Even his meeting with Ye Wenjie didn't clue me in. :lol
Ah, so that's how they attempted to crack the "unfilmability" of it.  Makes sense.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #398 on: March 27, 2024, 09:54:28 AM »
Started 3 Body Problem. Have not read the books or ever heard of this franchise. Watched the first three episodes....very interesting and neat....definitely up my alley.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #399 on: March 27, 2024, 09:56:19 AM »
Started 3 Body Problem. Have not read the books or ever heard of this franchise. Watched the first three episodes....very interesting and neat....definitely up my alley.

I just have to watch the final episode, but I've been loving the show. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #400 on: March 27, 2024, 10:08:30 AM »
Yeah we watched the 2nd episode last night, I'm sold already although I read that it really doesn't pick up until the 3rd episode.  We'll likely watch that tonight.  I'm just trying not to binge the show since it seems good and worth spacing out each night. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #401 on: March 27, 2024, 10:09:31 AM »
After 2 episodes, I admire how they attempted to solve some of the problems in adaptation.  Also, nice cast, for the most part, although it's hard to comment on how good a job they are doing because the characters they are portraying oftentimes don't exist in the books, or at least not in these forms.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: March 27, 2024, 10:15:14 AM »
I'm not familiar with the books, can someone answer this question, for the sake of D&D, do the books have an ending?  :rollin

Honestly, this seems like a good comeback for those guys.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #403 on: March 27, 2024, 10:19:07 AM »
I'm not familiar with the books, can someone answer this question, for the sake of D&D, do the books have an ending?  :rollin
Yes they do. :lol

That said, while it has some epic ideas, narratively the ending is kind of a mess (in my opinion anyway, I gather some people love it), so if anything there's an opportunity to adapt it into something a little more coherent and engaging.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #404 on: March 27, 2024, 10:20:08 AM »
Yes.