Author Topic: Last movie you saw? v2.0  (Read 51182 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Last movie you saw? v2.0
« Reply #420 on: April 21, 2023, 03:21:07 PM »
Evil Dead Rise - and it was great!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #421 on: April 22, 2023, 06:56:41 AM »
Evil Dead Rise - and it was great!

You should have seen the look on Mrs. P's face when I suggested we go see that.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #422 on: April 22, 2023, 07:15:09 AM »
Cocaine Bear is on the Peacock streaming channel. Might have to watch it tonight.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #423 on: April 22, 2023, 07:45:25 AM »
Well file this under the "better late than never" but we watched the first John Wick last night. It was enjoyable if not predictable.

Question - we caught the movie 5 minutes in - did they show his wife get wacked within the first 5 minutes as a flashback or did they just allude to it throughout the dialogue?

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #424 on: April 23, 2023, 05:24:11 PM »
Watch Space Jam for the first time with the kids last night. I was a little old to be interested in it when it came out. I was actually pretty disappointed.  I thought it was pretty bad. It always seems to be such a nostalgic thing for a lot of people.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #425 on: April 24, 2023, 10:13:35 AM »
Well file this under the "better late than never" but we watched the first John Wick last night. It was enjoyable if not predictable.

Question - we caught the movie 5 minutes in - did they show his wife get wacked within the first 5 minutes as a flashback or did they just allude to it throughout the dialogue?
She didn't "get wacked" - it was a disease (cancer, I think, but I don't remember for certain).  It was a flashback.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #426 on: April 24, 2023, 03:26:15 PM »
The Menu.

The phuck was that.

I mean, I overall liked it, but again, the phuck was that  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #427 on: April 24, 2023, 03:43:20 PM »
Finally got around to watching Arrival last night. Damn good film.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #428 on: April 24, 2023, 07:01:27 PM »
Now that I finally have a license and a car, I'm taking advantage of it by signing up for the unlimited movies deal at my local theater. $22 a month and I get a 10% discount on concessions. Started it off with a couple of movies that I might not have ponied up for a full-price ticket.

The Pope's Exorcist was interesting if only for it's not the kind of movie that one might expect "Acadamy Award Winner" Russell Crowe to star in. He's clearly having a bit of fun, but the rest of the movie plays it a little bit too straight. Especially in a genre that nobody's been able to really advance since The Exorcist.

Renfield was a good bit of throwaway fun. Nicholas Cage is clearly having a blast as Dracula, and the rest of the cast leans in to it a bit as well. Some funny moments and a little perfectly cromulent action.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #429 on: April 24, 2023, 09:14:22 PM »
Countdown to Looking Glass (1984)

Continuing the WWIII theme. This was the winner so far. It's essentially CVN's coverage of the beginning of WWIII. There's some behind the scenes stuff, but probably 2/3 of the movie is depicted as broadcasts, with plenty of interviews and whatnot. Kind of like a modern War of the Worlds. Adding to the authenticity is using some noteworthy people as reporters and guests, including [female broadcasting pioneer] Nancy Dickerson as the White House corespondent, Eric Sevareid, congressmen Robert Ellsworth, Eugene McCarthy and Newt Gingrich, and a few prominent political scientists, including Admiral LaRocque. What makes it actually work, though, is that the buildup is so incremental, going on over six or seven days, and each step is somewhat plausible. I wasn't buying it at first, but over time the story comes together and some of the details make it seem like it actually could have happened that way. Nowadays, not so much, but back in the early 80s certainly.

It's also kind of a refreshing look back at when broadcast journalism counted for something. Real shame seeing what it's become compared to what some of us remember.   
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #430 on: April 25, 2023, 02:30:21 PM »
Jason Isbell: Running With Our Eyes Closed (2023)

This is a really great HBO documentary about one of my favorite singer/songwriters.  It's extremely interesting from a variety of perspectives, including relationships, fame, success, music, the pandemic, etc.  I recommend it, even if you don't like/aren't familiar with his music.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #431 on: April 26, 2023, 07:22:31 AM »
I watched two classics last night that I have never seen before. 

1) Caddy Shack  - I was enjoying the movie at the beginning, but I eventually couldn't wait for it to be over. It had about 50 solid one-liners, but I found it to be a really boring watch overall. Rodney Dangerfield and his style wears thin on me after a joke or two.

2) Beetlejuice - Stellar. I loved everything about it. Talk about a stacked cast!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 08:19:36 AM by Chino »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #432 on: April 26, 2023, 08:08:49 AM »
I watched two classics last night that I have never seen before. 

1) Caddy Shack  - I was enjoying the movie at the beginning, but I eventually couldn't wait for it to be over. I had about 50 solid one-liners, but I found it to be a really boring watch overall. Rodney Dangerfield and his style wears thin on me after a joke or two.

I know people that can literally recite that movie from top to bottom.  I don't get it.  I'm sort of with you; it wears thin quick (and I think the Bill Murray parts are just not funny at all).

2) Beetlejuice - Stellar. I loved everything about it. Talk about a stacked cast!

I'm the ghost with the most, babe!   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #433 on: April 26, 2023, 09:35:01 AM »
Caddyshack came out at a time when my ability to see a movie depended on what my best friend's brother wanted to see.  I'm honestly not sure I've ever seen it all the way through.  I find Rodney Dangerfield annoying.

When my now wife and I first got together, she couldn't stop talking about how great Beetlejuice was.  We rented it. and I almost broke up with her.  I found it annoying as fuck.  Other than the first Batman movie, I'm not sure I've ever seen a Tim Burton movie I really enjoyed.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #434 on: April 26, 2023, 09:52:04 AM »
Tim Burton is a weird motherfucker, and I also don't like most of his films.  Beetlejuice is probably the one I like the most, but I certainly have no burning desire to rewatch it, ever.

I love Caddyshack, though.  A perfect product of its time, so I totally get how younger people wouldn't like it, but I've loved it since I was old enough to watch it.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #435 on: April 26, 2023, 09:52:53 AM »
Caddyshack came out at a time when my ability to see a movie depended on what my best friend's brother wanted to see.  I'm honestly not sure I've ever seen it all the way through.  I find Rodney Dangerfield annoying.

When my now wife and I first got together, she couldn't stop talking about how great Beetlejuice was.  We rented it. and I almost broke up with her.  I found it annoying as fuck.  Other than the first Batman movie, I'm not sure I've ever seen a Tim Burton movie I really enjoyed.

Beetlejuice is great, but to each their own. I'm not a huge Burton fan, especially his basic shtick, but I love Ed Wood, Mars Attacks, and Big Fish. So give those a try, maybe one of them will be your thing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #436 on: April 26, 2023, 10:18:40 AM »
Hated Beetlejuice.

I find Caddyshack overrated, but it's still pretty good. Ted Knight is what makes the movie. It's an odd duck because the finished product is so different from what they set out to make, largely because they kept adding talent. It was supposed to be about the kids, and it wound up being about the adults as Chase, Dangerfield, Knight, and Murray kept stealing scenes.

Also, the making of video is a hoot. I'm in awe of the amount of partying that went on on that set.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #437 on: April 26, 2023, 02:50:11 PM »

When my now wife and I first got together, she couldn't stop talking about how great Beetlejuice was.  We rented it. and I almost broke up with her. I found it annoying as fuck.  Other than the first Batman movie, I'm not sure I've ever seen a Tim Burton movie I really enjoyed.

HAHA, I just saw that.  I mean, I'm not laughing that your relationship almost ended, but that certainly does indicate your feelings for that movie!!  :) :) :)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #438 on: April 26, 2023, 05:43:39 PM »
I love Caddyshack, though.  A perfect product of its time, so I totally get how younger people wouldn't like it, but I've loved it since I was old enough to watch it.

This an Animal House are two of the biggest examples of movies I saw at the right time and place in my youth to hold an enormous amount of nostalgia for.

Regarding Caddyshack, I think it works for me largely because everyone's bit doesn't overstay its welcome. For me, anyway. It wouldn't work as a movie about the Judge, or Czervik, or Ty Webb, or Danny Noonan,or Carl. If anyone of those got too much screen time, it would have been a drag. It only works because of how each character pops in and out of the film at the right time and place.

Whoever said Batman 1989 is the only Tim Burton film they have ever liked, I feel the same.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #439 on: April 26, 2023, 11:55:09 PM »

This an Animal House are two of the biggest examples of movies I saw at the right time and place in my youth to hold an enormous amount of nostalgia for.
I regard Animal House as an underrated masterpiece. Caddyshack is an overrated, but still pretty decent movie. But yeah, they really do go hand in hand. If you're not aware, the Stork was actually the principle writer for both, and I believe co-founder of National Lampoon.

Regarding Caddyshack, I think it works for me largely because everyone's bit doesn't overstay its welcome. For me, anyway. It wouldn't work as a movie about the Judge, or Czervik, or Ty Webb, or Danny Noonan,or Carl. If anyone of those got too much screen time, it would have been a drag. It only works because of how each character pops in and out of the film at the right time and place.
That's an excellent point. I know they left something like three and a half hours of footage of the kids on the cutting room floor. I'd be curious to see what their original idea was. But you're right about them treating it as a true ensemble piece, and it made all the difference.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #440 on: April 27, 2023, 06:04:31 AM »
I never noticed it until I read about a few years ago, but in the dinner scene when Ted Knight's character is talking, you can see Rodney's table in the background, and before the camera cuts, you can see the lady on the right at Rodney's table hunch over to do a legit snort of cocaine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPaClGpIfK4 (blonde lady wearing black - around the 20-21 second mark)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #441 on: April 27, 2023, 07:00:38 AM »
Nice catch.  The camera cuts away quickly enough to make it slightly ambiguous, but the way she hunches over is pretty obvious to anyone familiar with "the hunch".

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #442 on: April 27, 2023, 08:57:16 AM »
That's a great point.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: April 27, 2023, 11:03:12 PM »
I regard Animal House as an underrated masterpiece. Caddyshack is an overrated, but still pretty decent movie. But yeah, they really do go hand in hand. If you're not aware, the Stork was actually the principle writer for both, and I believe co-founder of National Lampoon.

If I had a choice of watching either of those right now, or any time in the past 10+ years, it is Animal House. That movie will still get some chuckles out of me, and feels more timeless, than Caddyshack, which would just elicit a bunch of "oh, yeah, I remember this scene" comments. Though that "You buy a hat like this you you probably get a free bowl of soup... oh, but it looks good on you though" will always kill me.

I do recall watching something about the actor playing Stork being a writer, and I just confirmed what I thought I remembered, that he died very young (33).

And holy crap that cocaine scene!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #444 on: April 28, 2023, 06:35:02 AM »

If I had a choice of watching either of those right now, or any time in the past 10+ years, it is Animal House. That movie will still get some chuckles out of me, and feels more timeless, than Caddyshack, which would just elicit a bunch of "oh, yeah, I remember this scene" comments. Though that "You buy a hat like this you you probably get a free bowl of soup... oh, but it looks good on you though" will always kill me.

I do recall watching something about the actor playing Stork being a writer, and I just confirmed what I thought I remembered, that he died very young (33).

The actor, Douglas Kenney, who played Stork was the guy who gave the lady the cocaine to snort in the Caddyshack scene I posted.  He is the guy at Rodney's table in the tux (he looks very different).

What's sad is that Kenney was one of the writers of Caddyshack and committed suicide because of how poorly the film was initially received. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #445 on: April 28, 2023, 08:23:09 AM »

The actor, Douglas Kenney, who played Stork was the guy who gave the lady the cocaine to snort in the Caddyshack scene I posted.  He is the guy at Rodney's table in the tux (he looks very different).

What's sad is that Kenney was one of the writers of Caddyshack and committed suicide because of how poorly the film was initially received.
I watched that scene five or six times trying to see if it was Stork, and decided it wasn't (though I trust you on that). It looked like him at the table, but when they walked away I thought it didn't.

Also, the girl was the only one that wasn't eating. Attention to detail.

And given the success of Animal House it was all but certain that Caddyshack would be huge. I think that's what set him off.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #446 on: April 28, 2023, 10:59:55 AM »
The funny thing about Stork is he barely says anything in Animal House, yet has a great line that everyone remember ("What the hell are we supposed to do, ya moron?!") and a great moment (shoving the parade guy out of the way, catching whatever that was he threw up in there, and then doing that over the top motion with it :lol).

Funny as well to think that it was the first film with Kevin Bacon, who also doesn't say much, but has probably two of the top five most iconic lines from the film - "Thank you, sir, may I have another?" and "Remain calm, all is well!"

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #447 on: May 02, 2023, 09:41:52 AM »
Saw Super Mario Bros. in the theater on Sunday. Wow. It was so well done. So many clever nods to the game franchise history, fun story, humor galore by Jack Black, it very much reminded me about how well done the Batman Lego Movie was. A very similar take. Absolutely an A+
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #448 on: May 09, 2023, 08:17:44 AM »
The China Syndrome (1979)

Continuing the nuclear theme I wanted to watch something a little more lighthearted after all of the apocalyptic misery. Jack Lemon, Mike Douglas, and Jane Fonda FTW. Excellent movie, though perhaps a little bit of a reach to believe that a power company has a crack hit squad on hot standby, just in case. Two things really make it work: One is that it's as much behind the scenes of a newsroom as it is a nuclear thriller. Hanoi Jane really is a fantastic actress, and her plight being stuck doing human interest stories vs hard news plays great, seeing as the movie's a product of the 70s and set in a male-dominated field. "Cue the redhead." The other thing is that there are actually two aspects to the nuclear "disaster," which the media people totally fail to grasp. The initial accident was proof that the safeguards and procedures are highly effective. There was a mechanical fault and they prevented a catastrophe. The actual problem wasn't nuclear but bureaucratic. The movie was more a tirade against big business rather than nuclear power, a point that some might have missed.

And talk about timing. Uncanny that the movie hit theaters less than 2 weeks before Three Mile Island.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #449 on: May 09, 2023, 08:28:19 AM »
El Mariachi (1992)
Desperado (1995)

First two parts of the trilogy. Don't know as I'll bother with the third, as these are the two people actually talk about. I thought Mariachi was excellent. The mistaken identity thing worked great, you cared about the characters, and nothing was sugar-coated. Amazing what a talented guy can do with $7500. The cheapness of it really added to the grittiness (in this case literally, as well as figuratively). Desperado didn't really work for me beyond the first 20 minutes or so. The two scenes in the bar with Buscemi and Tarantino were great, but it kind of fell apart after that. Banderas played the whole thing a little too tongue in cheek, I thought. The tone was just kind of weird. Rodriguez certainly has a style, and often times it works great. From Dusk Til Dawn is some kind of masterpiece. I just didn't think it worked here. Brutal violence and comedy can work well together (48 Hours, Beverly Hills Cop), but this just seemed kind of cheesy. The two saving graces were gratuitous Salma Hayack and a kick ass soundtrack. 
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #450 on: May 09, 2023, 08:42:00 AM »
I haven't seen The China Syndrome in 40 years.  I need to remedy that.

I share your opinion on El Mariachi and Desperado.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #451 on: May 09, 2023, 09:21:13 AM »

And talk about timing. Uncanny that the movie hit theaters less than 2 weeks before Three Mile Island.

I remember.  My senior year in high school, and nuclear power was either going to be the next big thing, or the thing that finally destroys our planet.  There was a lot of talk, then the movie got more people talking.  A lot of misinformation and paranoia, then Three Mile Island happened and everyone was all "Well, we're all fucked now."

Offline Harmony

« Reply #452 on: May 11, 2023, 08:12:41 AM »

Continuing the nuclear theme I wanted to watch something a little more lighthearted after all of the apocalyptic misery. Jack Lemon, Mike Douglas, and Jane Fonda FTW. Excellent movie, though perhaps a little bit of a reach to believe that a power company has a crack hit squad on hot standby, just in case. Two things really make it work: One is that it's as much behind the scenes of a newsroom as it is a nuclear thriller. Hanoi Jane really is a fantastic actress, and her plight being stuck doing human interest stories vs hard news plays great, seeing as the movie's a product of the 70s and set in a male-dominated field. "Cue the redhead." The other thing is that there are actually two aspects to the nuclear "disaster," which the media people totally fail to grasp. The initial accident was proof that the safeguards and procedures are highly effective. There was a mechanical fault and they prevented a catastrophe. The actual problem wasn't nuclear but bureaucratic. The movie was more a tirade against big business rather than nuclear power, a point that some might have missed.

Jack Lemon is one of my all time favorite actors.  This is such a great movie.  And yeah, I bet the producers were ecstatic about Three Mile Island.  LoL.  I had forgotten about that impeccable timing.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online Dream Team

« Reply #453 on: May 11, 2023, 04:56:19 PM »
A Man Called Otto - Tom Hanks, Netflix. Great movie.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #454 on: May 13, 2023, 04:48:31 AM »
Mulan. The live action one. Very pretty!!!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!