Author Topic: Last movie you saw? v2.0  (Read 50795 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Last movie you saw? v2.0
« Reply #210 on: January 12, 2023, 10:58:02 AM »
Glass onion

It was fine

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #211 on: January 12, 2023, 10:59:06 AM »
Glass onion

It was fine

Oh yea, I saw that too. I enjoyed it. Lots of fun.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: January 15, 2023, 12:05:50 PM »
Also going to try to watch as many of the big Oscar noms as possible. And since I assume Fabelmans will be nominated for everything, I'll go check that out.

Getting an Oscar nom is a signal for me to not watch a movie these days.  :biggrin:

Just saw Ke Huy Quan won a Golden Globe. Who had money on Short Round winning a major acting award? And after basically being out of acting for 20 years? And damn he sounds exactly like he did as a kid.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #213 on: January 15, 2023, 12:29:20 PM »
Also going to try to watch as many of the big Oscar noms as possible. And since I assume Fabelmans will be nominated for everything, I'll go check that out.

Getting an Oscar nom is a signal for me to not watch a movie these days.  :biggrin:

Just saw Ke Huy Quan won a Golden Globe. Who had money on Short Round winning a major acting award? And after basically being out of acting for 20 years? And damn he sounds exactly like he did as a kid.

Makes me wonder how many promising acting careers were cut short because of having an accent that type casted people into very specific roles.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #214 on: January 15, 2023, 02:26:40 PM »
Ke Huy Quan was pretty awesome in Everything Everywhere.  I'm glad he got recognized for it, and yeah it's extra cool because he was out of the game for like 20 years.  Oscar-worthy?  Hell, I don't know.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #215 on: January 15, 2023, 04:47:07 PM »

Same.  If I counted correctly, 161 21st century movies have been nominated for Best Picture (the ceremonies in 2001-22).  I've seen 20 of them (not including the chunk of Licorice Pizza that I watched before turning it off because it sucked hard).  And there are really only a small handful that I haven't see that I actually want or wanted to see.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Adami

« Reply #216 on: January 15, 2023, 05:19:34 PM »
I hear you. I have often avoided many things because of the hype and such. Luckily I think most movies up for oscar noms tend to be great movies. They're obviously not the ONLY great movies coming out, and the Oscars miss a bunch of fantastic flicks, but it's fun to watch these movies, decide for myself if I like them, and then watch the Oscar's with the ability to actually pick who I'd want to win. Guess it's my version of watching a sports game.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #217 on: January 16, 2023, 04:39:05 AM »
Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio.

Nice visuals and overall good story, it's been so long since I've read the original story that I don't even remember how many changes they made, but anyway it was good enough.

I know it was the entire point, but damn if Pinocchio was annoying mot of the time  :lol I'm becoming a grumpy old man who can't stand kids apparently....
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #218 on: January 19, 2023, 11:01:26 AM »
I tried to watch Ben Affleck's Jack Ryan film, The Sum of All Fears, but it was pretty shitty.  I didn't make it quite halfway through before giving up.  Not even Morgan Freeman could save it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

« Reply #219 on: January 19, 2023, 11:04:34 AM »
Saw a recording of a live rendition of Come From Away.

It's a musical about the (mostly I guess) true story about the tiny town in Newfoundland, Canada where 7000 people were diverted mid flight on 9/11 after the attacks and had to stay for almost a week. It's actually really great. Minimal sets, and the actors each play multiple people at various times.

If you have AppleTV or whatever, I'd recommend if you like musicals. I didn't expect it to be good, given the weird set up, but I really enjoyed it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Realm

« Reply #220 on: January 20, 2023, 03:11:15 PM »
Yes, I have also watched Come From Away (I am a big musical fan). If musicals etc are your thing I highly recommend it. Great story and really well done.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: January 21, 2023, 02:03:08 PM »

Ms. White: "He even threatened to kill me in public."
Miss Scarlet: "Why would he threaten to kill you in public?"
Wadsworth: "I think she meant he threatened, in public, to kill her."
Miss Scarlet: "Oh."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #222 on: January 21, 2023, 05:16:50 PM »
The line from Clue that always kills me is when Wadsworth is doing his furious "this is how the murderer it" thing at the end and says, "I answered the door, and it was Mrs. White, looking pale and tragic!"

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Tim Curry is so good.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: January 21, 2023, 05:36:13 PM »
Everyone nailed their character so well, but Tim Curry is the glue that holds everything together. There are so many subtleties and nuances to his performance, like the way he looks at one of the files with intrigue when Green says he's a homosexual.

And speaking of, my favorite line/exchange is probably:
"Are you a cop?"
"No, I'm a plant."
"A plant? I thought men like you were usually called a fruit."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #224 on: January 22, 2023, 04:14:15 PM »
I was in DC for a few days for a work conference and connected in Minneapolis both ways.

On the flight from Orange County to Minneapolis, I watched Angels & Demons.  I saw it when it came out and wanted something I didn't have to pay a ton of attention to.  Such a good movie (and one of the few based on a book where I read the book first).

On the flight from Minneapolis to DC, I started Interstellar, without realizing how long it was.  I stopped it about an hour in and picked it up on the return flight from DC to MSP.  Not so sure about it.  Maybe it was the fact that I saw it in pieces or the fact that it kept getting interrupted with turbulence announcements.  The beginning was ok, and most of the end was decent, but the middle was bogged down.  Also, I don't know why moviemakers constantly feel the need to put advanced, multidimensional physics into action movies.  I don't understand it, but I know enough to try to make sense of what I'm seeing, and it always ends up giving me a headache.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #225 on: January 23, 2023, 06:00:34 AM »
I don't know why moviemakers constantly feel the need to put advanced, multidimensional physics into action movies.  I don't understand it, but I know enough to try to make sense of what I'm seeing, and it always ends up giving me a headache.
I completely agree with this and would add time travel. Anytime anything gets complicated scientifically or theoretically, it's generally riddled with plot holes. I think I'm a pretty smart guy, so when I'm left scratching my head wondering what the hell was going on, I assume virtually everyone else was too. Probably not a great way to leave your audience.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #226 on: January 23, 2023, 08:59:21 AM »
Good Luck To You, Leo Grande.

Emma Thompson as a widow who hires a male sex worker. 99% of the film is just the two actors. Great stuff.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #227 on: January 23, 2023, 09:09:04 AM »
I really liked Interstellar, and while the science and physics might have confused me at times, it really hit me on an emotional level.  I saw it a year or two after my daughter was born, and the idea of a father communicating with his daughter in the manner that he does at the end threw me for an emotional loop.  I put myself in that place and was tearing up during that scene. 

The parts on the water planet were my favorite.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #228 on: January 24, 2023, 08:52:44 AM »
I caught the most recent film related to the Ryanverse, Without Remorse, a 2021 Amazon Prime film based on the novel from the 90s about one of the main secondary Jack Ryan characters, John Clark.

Well made film, and Michael B. Jordan is pretty solid in everything he's in.  The plot is not only updated to modern times, but also changed quite extensively from the original novel, but that's OK, because that novel was pretty hinky and contrived in many points.  Good movie.

I don't know why moviemakers constantly feel the need to put advanced, multidimensional physics into action movies.  I don't understand it, but I know enough to try to make sense of what I'm seeing, and it always ends up giving me a headache.
Well, Interstellar isn't an action film.  It's a science fiction film, in the truest sense of the phrase, with the emphasis on "science".  As I understand it, it's one of the most scientifically accurate science fiction films ever made.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: January 24, 2023, 08:56:35 AM »
I caught the most recent film related to the Ryanverse, Without Remorse, a 2021 Amazon Prime film based on the novel from the 90s about one of the main secondary Jack Ryan characters, John Clark.

Well made film, and Michael B. Jordan is pretty solid in everything he's in.  The plot is not only updated to modern times, but also changed quite extensively from the original novel, but that's OK, because that novel was pretty hinky and contrived in many points.  Good movie.

FYI they recently announced Jordan is returning to the role for Rainbow Six, with the John Wick Director. . . directing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #230 on: January 24, 2023, 09:32:05 AM »

FYI they recently announced Jordan is returning to the role for Rainbow Six, with the John Wick Director. . . directing.
Interesting.

Online faizoff

« Reply #231 on: January 27, 2023, 11:52:57 AM »
Not sure where this video fits but it gives a good insight into why the dialog is so low and hard to hear in many movies these days. Christopher Nolan is still a bitch for his audio dialog choices but I see the technical challenges dialog has these days compared to days in the past.

I like how they address the question, why can't you just turn the sound up for dialog??? I thought it was worth the 10 mins watch.

https://youtu.be/VYJtb2YXae8
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #232 on: January 28, 2023, 10:29:31 AM »
A few days ago I rewatched It's Such a Beautiful Day, by Don Hertzfeldt, with a friend. Yup, this is still my favorite movie ever, it's just so fun and tragic, and powerful. The final section is just... mesmerizing, life-affirming stuff that touches me so deeply. My friend loved it as well.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 10:49:56 AM by Sacul »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #233 on: January 28, 2023, 10:50:52 AM »
Weird: The Al Yankovic Story

Well, that certainly was a movie.  I guess the idea is that, much as Al's songs are parodies of well-known hits, this movie is a parody of biopics, with the "true" events largely fabricated.  And of course since this is Weird Al, a lot of it is taken to the extreme.  I definitely laughed many times at the absurdity of it all, but there was also a darkness to a lot of it that kinda bugged me.  His father didn't approve of his love of music and his desire to pursue it (as opposed to the reality that both parents were actually quite supportive) but man, some of those early scenes were hard to watch.  It's just a movie, but watching even a make-believe dad come down so hard on his kid is rough.  Al's drinking, the way he abused everyone around him, was played for laughs (?) but I wasn't laughing.  It was just drama for the sake of drama.  Which, again, I guess was the point?

Anyway, it was entertaining, and overall I'm glad I finally checked it out, but I don't feel any need to see it again.

Three accordions out of five.  Isn't parody supposed to be funny?

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #234 on: January 28, 2023, 02:48:47 PM »
Weird: The Al Yankovic Story

Well, that certainly was a movie.  I guess the idea is that, much as Al's songs are parodies of well-known hits, this movie is a parody of biopics, with the "true" events largely fabricated.  And of course since this is Weird Al, a lot of it is taken to the extreme.  I definitely laughed many times at the absurdity of it all, but there was also a darkness to a lot of it that kinda bugged me.  His father didn't approve of his love of music and his desire to pursue it (as opposed to the reality that both parents were actually quite supportive) but man, some of those early scenes were hard to watch.  It's just a movie, but watching even a make-believe dad come down so hard on his kid is rough.  Al's drinking, the way he abused everyone around him, was played for laughs (?) but I wasn't laughing.  It was just drama for the sake of drama.  Which, again, I guess was the point?

Anyway, it was entertaining, and overall I'm glad I finally checked it out, but I don't feel any need to see it again.

Three accordions out of five.  Isn't parody supposed to be funny?
I quite enjoyed that movie. I chuckled more than I typically do during comedy movies.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #235 on: January 28, 2023, 07:37:03 PM »
I laughed a lot, sometimes at the absurdity of things, sometimes at the situations, and of course that's all great.  It just seemed to have a somewhat disproportionate amount of negativity to it for a comedy.  There were a number of times I found myself wondering what the tone was that they were really going for.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #236 on: January 29, 2023, 05:34:01 AM »
Slumberland.

Quite fun and well done, a nice lighthearted adventure in the land of dreams (the titular slumberland) by a young girl who recently lost her father, and searches for him in her dreams while meeting Khal Drogo along the way.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: January 29, 2023, 04:37:07 PM »
Not sure where this video fits but it gives a good insight into why the dialog is so low and hard to hear in many movies these days. Christopher Nolan is still a bitch for his audio dialog choices but I see the technical challenges dialog has these days compared to days in the past.

I like how they address the question, why can't you just turn the sound up for dialog??? I thought it was worth the 10 mins watch.

My wife and kid started watching all their shows and movies with the subtitles recently. They said it helped them with dialogue they had a hard time understanding. And I have what I'd consider to be a better than average home theater set-up. I hadn't noticed any issues but they watch TV much more than I do. I rarely go to the movies so cannot speak to any experiences at a theater.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #238 on: January 30, 2023, 05:03:11 AM »
We tried watching You People last night. Oof.

We got about 50 minutes in before finally throwing in the towel.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #239 on: January 30, 2023, 07:00:32 AM »

My wife and kid started watching all their shows and movies with the subtitles recently. They said it helped them with dialogue they had a hard time understanding. And I have what I'd consider to be a better than average home theater set-up. I hadn't noticed any issues but they watch TV much more than I do. I rarely go to the movies so cannot speak to any experiences at a theater.

We've morphed into a CC-always on household as well. Mainly because of the dogs randomly going ape shit, but it does come in handy outside of that every now and then.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #240 on: January 30, 2023, 07:32:50 AM »

We've morphed into a CC-always on household as well. Mainly because of the dogs randomly going ape shit, but it does come in handy outside of that every now and then.

Me too as well. Mostly for the dogs, somewhat for me.  :)

Online Adami

« Reply #241 on: January 30, 2023, 07:33:35 AM »

Me too as well. Mostly for the dogs, somewhat for me.  :)

Do your dogs prefer English subtitles?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #242 on: January 30, 2023, 09:25:01 AM »
Just for shits and giggles, I watched the Brady Bunch Movie last night.  I saw it when it came out, but I didn't remember anything about it other than the bit about Jan hearing voices.  It was an absolute riot.  A parody done really well.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #243 on: January 30, 2023, 09:41:13 AM »
Just for shits and giggles, I watched the Brady Bunch Movie last night.  I saw it when it came out, but I didn't remember anything about it other than the bit about Jan hearing voices.  It was an absolute riot.  A parody done really well.

That movie is absolutely hilarious. I love it. A Very Brady Sequel isn't a bad follow up either, IMO.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 09:53:05 AM by Chino »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #244 on: January 30, 2023, 09:45:10 AM »
My kids normally watch everything with subtitles.

We watched Glass Onion this weekend.  Very, very good and funny.  Not sure if it was better than Knives Out, but definitely a worthy follow-up, and I look forward to the next installment in the series.